- February 10: Scion FR-S Recalled to Fix Rollaway Threat recalls | 3 days ago
- February 2: Toyota Recalls Older Vehicles With Airbags That Spontaneously Deploy recalls | 11 days ago
- January 26: Takata Recalls 5 Million Airbags Affecting 10 Automakers recalls | 18 days ago
- January 4: Toyota Yaris Crash Kills 5 in California news | 40 days ago
- December 28: 2016 Top Safety Pick+ Award Winners news | 47 days ago
NHTSA — Latches/Locks/Linkages Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 1 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 49,800 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
accessories - exterior problem