- April 27: Toyota Recalls 228,000 Tacoma Trucks to Fix Rear Differentials recalls | 3 days ago
- March 26: Toyota and Lexus Melting Dashboard Lawsuit Filed, Again news | 35 days ago
- March 25: Toyota Tire Savings Event Lawsuit Says Event Isn't a Good Deal news | 36 days ago
- February 16: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Cars Recalled, All 2,840 of Them recalls | 73 days ago
Check Engine Light On
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: If you're looking for a vehicle with one of the most complained about transmission on the road, look no further than the 2001-2003 Toyota RAV4.
In 2001 Toyota completely redesigned the popular SUV. While some enjoyed the new look, they did not enjoy the harsh shifting, jumping from gear-to-gear and eventual transmission failure that cost owners well over $3,000 to fix. The problem stems from a malfunctioning Electronic Control Module (ECM).
Consumer outrage coupled with pressure from different agencies led Toyota to extend the warranty nationwide back in 2010. The previous power train warranty only covered 5 years/60,000 miles, while the extended warranty now covers the transmission and ECM for 10 years/150,000 miles. Toyota also pledged to reimburse any owners who had previously paid for repairs, if they had "proper proof". Good luck collecting on that one.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 74,812 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 11 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (4 reports)
- replace catalytic converter (3 reports)
- replace ECM (3 reports)
- had to replace bad camshaft (1 reports)