1.2

2005 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota RAV4:

2005 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 012015

RAV4

I've taken to 6 mechanics and no one knows what it is because the light is no constantly on. I took it to Toyota and they wanted $400 to diagnose and there was no guarantee. I think this is a serious dangerous issue because I lose control of my vehicle when the road is clear and dry. It beeps and I guess tries to stabilize itself. Always on the highway. On the streets the traction light flashes frequently.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 032015

RAV4

I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2005 rav 4. when exiting a highway on a sweeping right curve exit ramp, the vehicle stability control light will start to flash and an audible beep can be heard in the cabin. This usually indicates the car is in a skid but I assure you I am in full control of the vehicle, in its lane. After 2 to 3 seconds of constant beeping the engine cuts power and applies braking to an individual wheel, causing the vehicle to lurch slightly to one side. Just as quickly as this happens, the car resumes normal operation and the issue ceases to exist. I have had several instances of this very issue in the past 2 months. Most happen at slow speeds (under 35mph) and on dry pavement. The vehicle suspension and alignment are within operating specification. I have noticed however, that the steering rack bushings are worn. This causes the entire rack to move about slightly within the constraints of its mount. To my dismay, Toyota does not sell replacement bushings for the steering rack on 2004-2005 model rav-4's, forcing owners to pay for a completely new steering rack. This is unacceptable from a brand that prides itself on reliability and reasonably priced maintenance. The safety of the vehicle is compromised by an substandard engineered components. Ie: steering bushings; causing too much play and allowing the vehicle traction control system to inadvertently activate, causing a dangerous unsettling of the vehicle.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Feb 032014

RAV4

As I exit the highway on sharp off ramps or take other similar tight turns, vsc trac sensor lights turns on and off and I can hear grinding noise when traction control auto-engages and disengages. The roadways have never been slick or wet and this issue has occurred at various speeds (30-50 mph).

- La Jolla, CA, USA