2005 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota RAV4:

2005 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Dec 032015

I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2005 rav 4. when exiting a highway on a sweeping right curve exit ramp, the vehicle stability control light will start to flash and an audible beep can be heard in the cabin. This usually indicates the car is in a skid but I assure you I am in full control of the vehicle, in its lane. After 2 to 3 seconds of constant beeping the engine cuts power and applies braking to an individual wheel, causing the vehicle to lurch slightly to one side. Just as quickly as this happens, the car resumes normal operation and the issue ceases to exist. I have had several instances of this very issue in the past 2 months. Most happen at slow speeds (under 35mph) and on dry pavement. The vehicle suspension and alignment are within operating specification. I have noticed however, that the steering rack bushings are worn. This causes the entire rack to move about slightly within the constraints of its mount. To my dismay, Toyota does not sell replacement bushings for the steering rack on 2004-2005 model rav-4's, forcing owners to pay for a completely new steering rack. This is unacceptable from a brand that prides itself on reliability and reasonably priced maintenance. The safety of the vehicle is compromised by an substandard engineered components. Ie: steering bushings; causing too much play and allowing the vehicle traction control system to inadvertently activate, causing a dangerous unsettling of the vehicle.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Jan 182015

RAV4 4-cyl

Started my trip from home and I block away I tried to stop for a stop sign, the brake would not hold. I pressed as hard as I could hitting the floor no brake. The vehicle stopped when I hit the curb. Continue driving and stepping on brake to see if problem continue same problem. Had to slowly return home. I drove the vehicle the previous night which was 6 hrs earlier and did not received any indication on the dashboard that there was any problem and still there is no indication that there is a problem with the brakes.

- Hollis, NY, USA

Jan 012010

Was told in 2010 that cause of the back brakes squeaking (in reverse only) was because all Rav4S have that problem. Just assumed they knew what they were talking about. Recently went to non-dealership for service and was told that there was a film (don't remember what it was called) that was probably making them squeak. Had brakes replaced on all wheels and had they inspected and cleaned the whole area around the brakes to see if they could stop the squeaking. It worked but just for a short time. It is annoying because now it squeaks when stopping in forward position and when in reverse and applying brakes. Need to find a remedy as I want to sell my car but can't if this issue isn't taken care of. Dealership is not helpful at all (see first sentence).

- Fort Worth, TX, USA