6.9

2006 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Nov 182014

RAV4 Limited

Checked the oil before a road trip and was surprised to see the dipstick barely wet with oil at the tip, not even hitting the low level mark. I took it for an oil change to the Toyota dealer in Williamsburg, VA and while checking the oil level myself when I got the car back I told them that I would make sure to check the oil level every time I brought it in because I thought they didn't fill the engine with enough oil (because Toyotas don't burn oil, right?).

Anywhoo, the next oil change came by and I checked it just before taking it to the dealer. Again the dipstick was barely wet. This time I told them the engine was burning oil, because there is no oil stain in my driveway so it is not leaking. Their response was that "this is normal" and that I "should keep an eye on it". Later I found out that there is a TSB for this engine but I never got the letter informing me because my first complaint happened after the 60,000 mile warranty was over. Now I'm all "old school" checking the oil level every time I fill up the gas tank, just like I used to do on my 1980s Chevy. Toyota grew too much, too fast. Even this Japan built Rav4 is showing that Toyota stopped caring a long time ago.

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Mar 232015

RAV4

I have been a loyal Toyota user since 1986. Never had an oil problem with any of them. Never had to add oil between services even on the 1986 that we put 0ver 120,000 miles on and had for 20 years. All of a sudden in March I noticed a light come on the dash for just a moment. Upon further investigation I noticed my oil was low. Unusual I thought. Looked like a quart would do the trick. I added the quart and to my surprise it just touched the bottom of the dip stick. So in all, to bring it up to level I had to add another 2 quarts.

So I took it to the dealer and they said that they would do the test. So I drive the required miles staying under 1300 miles.

Today (06/02/2015) I picked it up and their answer was it passed the test. ( Go figure) They added a quart they said or showed me on paper, and it brought the oil level up to full. I would hate to say the test was rigged. However, now I'm left with a quandary, do I keep putting oil in it between services or have it fixed?

I have had many a car in my life and only had one that took this much oil. That was a 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. I'm quite disappointed in Toyota about this. i would gladly join a class action lawsuit on this. I'm on a fixed income and cannot afford this.

- , Akron, PA, USA

Jan 012006

RAV4

Within two years of owning the RAV we had to daily monitor the oil level... she inhaled it!! As of today 08/06/2015 she now has 266,000km on her but this has been going on for over 5-7 years.

Four years ago one particular incident happened to confirm we indeed had a oil problem with this beast. While working at Service Canada I was sitting at a picnic table near my car when I could smell burnt toast or something... the following day I went to the Great Canadian Oil Exchange in Trenton ON to have the oil changed... within 3 minutes of being there the young guy came up to tell me I did not have a lick of oil in her!!

There was never a time (in the whole 9 years that we have had her!) when the oil light came on... not once. Once the warranty was up on her we either took her to the GCOE to have her oil done or my mechanic husband did it himself. Now we get a letter (Apr 2015) saying there is an issue with excessive oil consumption.. but.. in order for them to do the testing on the RAV they want us to provide proof of all oil changes we have had done on her!!

I get that they want to confirm that we have indeed had oil changes done and that there is indeed an issue but who in their right mind keeps 9 years of paperwork on one vehicles oil changes?! It certainly hasn't been me.

- , Frankford, ON, Canada

Dec 012014

RAV4 Limited

At first I thought it was due to the mileage I had on the RAV, but as I found out thru research on the internet, I wasn't alone. I have scheduled an appointment with my local dealer to try and resolve this issue.

- , Berrien Springs, MI, USA

Mar 012014

RAV4

I have a engine that at times goes through 1.5 quarts of oil a week. Sometimes 1 quart oil oil every three weeks. It highly variable but never really acceptable. I drive 20k-22k mile a year and regularly have the car serviced. That much oil usage is terrible.

- , Mt. Arlington, NJ, USA

Oct 182013

RAV4 STD 2.4L

I purchased this new Rav4 in 2006 in Toronto. It says it was assembled in Japan. More than a year ago it started consuming oil and now I top up a litre of oil every 1500 kms approx. I don't know what the solution will be or will I have to live with this problem

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Nov 132012

RAV4 2.4L

2006 Rav4 with the famous 2.4 Oil burning engine. Have to check the oil weekly. Presently part of the Oil Consumption Testing at our local Toyota Dealer in Ashland, Ky. It cannot make the 1100 miles required in the test. Took it back at 600 miles and had them break the seal and check it. Was worried my engine would blow and I would be stuck with no options. It was already down almost one quart at 600 miles. They then informed me Toyota says one quart of oil for every 1200 miles is considered normal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My 96 Rav4, I use for a work car has 220K on it and it only uses one quart every 2000 miles and that is partly due to a leak!. Either way Toyota is going to wiggle out of this. I see the handwriting on the wall. I own three Toyota's but this is probably going to end soon. At one quart every 1200 miles, why change oil, ever?

- , Willow Wood, OH, USA

Feb 202015

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Purchased this vehicle new. Has been a great car but has always burned oil. It started out burning about a quart every 4-5,000 miles. Was told that the 4 cyl. burn a bit more than 6 cyl. engines. it continued to progress until at about 50,000 miles, I was adding 2 qts. of oil between oil changes every 4,000 miles.

I switched to synthetic, thinking it might help. The last two oil changes were at 9,000 to 10,000 mile intervals. Between those two oil changes, I dumped 7 qts. of synthetic into my vehicle! I'm buying synthetic now in the 5 qt. jugs!!

If my vehicle doesn't qualify and they tell me my oil consumption isn't enough to warrant the repairs needed, I'll be all over them.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Jan 012009

Started burning oil about 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes or 3,000 miles

For the past 2 years burning almost a quart oil every tankful of gas.

Fill the gas tank, fill the oil.....every week.

Getting very expensive and annoying.

- , West Dover, VT, USA

Dec 272014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Like other owners I make sure I get my vehicle serviced as required. I was due for my oil change and a friend checked the oil and it didn't even register on the dip stick. No light came on either. I have read the complaints for this same issue and know there is a class action lawsuit in U.S. I have a friend with same RAV4 who is having same issue. Not sure why Toyota isn't doing anything. I can't say I would hurry to buy Toyota again

- , Edmonton, AB, canada

Sep 242014

RAV4 LX V4

This is very concerning to me because I do take care of car and I do everything by the book. I was expecting to keep this car for at least 250,000 miles. I am not sure if I can drive the car safely with this oil problem or if it is absolutely a must to get fixed. I wanted to drive to Florida in November. Its crazy because the car does drive very well and the engine continues to be quiet.

If anyone knows what I should do please get back to me.

- , Wind Lake, WI, USA

Aug 042014

RAV4 4/2.4L

I have noticed over the past few oil changes that I have had done, that I have had to add additional oil before it was time to change the oil in my RAV4. I have had to add up to at least an additional 5 quarts of oil to my RAV4. I know this is not normal and the vehicle is a 2006 and not that old, so it should not be consuming this much oil unless there is a significant problem!!

- , Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 092010

RAV4 Limited I4

I loved my Rav4 2006 (I4) and still love it, but after purchasing it as used car ( Off Leased) after 4 year of production in 2010 with 180K kilometer on it, Then I noticed it is losing some oil , I start to add and notice people complain in blogs. There is no oil drop or smoke just the level goes down, then I read that these engines are getting famous for exceeding oil consumption problem; but as I see mine got worse and worse and these days at above 240K I have to check the oil every other day specially when I trip. it is loosing oil dramatically. I had to put all my saving to buy this car and planning to keep it for at least 10 years but I am facing this issue... so upset and so annoying with Toyota, I have been a loyal costumer to Toyota for ever and I never had driven other cars but Toyota but I am gradually changing my mind. I am really looking for a compensation or repair cost covered by manufacturer because this really dose not make for such a brand name I experience this issue which had my mind busy for a long time, I can not afford to pay $6000 to repair the rings as suggested by Toyota. This is really non acceptable and I would call it as a fraud and ripping off the buyers.

- , Richmond Hill, Ontario, canada

Feb 202014

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

when I get an oil change they tell me it is always low

- , Whitman, WV, USA

Jan 272012

RAV4 LS 2.4L

Heavy oil consumption, more than what is listed in the manual as normal. After checking the oil randomly, a few months after an oil change, back in January 2012, I found that even after adding 1 1/2 litres, it still did not register on the dip stick. Looking inside the engine from the oil cap, everything was, and still is, covered with a thick dark brown film, that looks like baked on oil. At this point I started doing my own oil changes, and now, every 500 KM's I'm adding 500ml to the engine. It doesn't leave a spot on the driveway, and doesn't change the colour of the exhaust. I'm perplexed with where it is going. Toyota dealership said it is normal, but this is crazy. By the time I get to 5000 KM which is where an oil change is due, I've already replaced all the oil. I'm a die hard for Toyota, and still fairly confident that this is just a lemon. What I want is Toyota to step up to the plate and acknowledge the problem. Maybe make a severely discounted offer on a newer vehicle.

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Dec 222012

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I have am generally religious about changing oil every 3k mile and never thought to compare the volume out vs what goes in. This last change was closer to 5k as I got sidetracked and had not had a chance to change the wiffs oil.

That said, the check engine oil light just started coming on but only under a "hard" brake as I guess the oil would get pushed to the front of the oil pan and the sensor would say hey - low oil. But under an idle or normal travelling - no light.

So here it is - I went to change the oil - I was very shocked to see barely 1.2 qts of oil drain out into my bucket!. It takes 4.5 qts! How can the engine be down 75% in oil and NO engine oil light come on!. I am concerned I may have toasted the engine running it on such low oil. Thank you Toyota! Quality is Job 7?

Seems this year and engine likes to "consume mass quanities", ok I just dated myself....I am not from France but am very worried the engine is going to blow! What kind of damage has been done running it so low on oil without knowing it. Stay away from this vehicle. Toyota TSB states if it consumes 1qt/1200 miles - its normal. Nice, why should I change the oil if I have to add more every month!

- , Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Nov 032010

RAV4 4 cylinder

On 11-03-10 I took my RAV4 in for a routine maintenance at New City Nissan. There I was informed that the oil level was down only 1 quart. Nissan topped it off with 5 quarts of oil. They suggested that I take it in to Toyota for the problem may be related to the power train drive and it was still covered by the warranty. That day I made an appointment and took my RAV4 in to Windward Toyota. The gentleman at Toyota told me it would be a hassle to take the engine apart to locate the leak, and if they could not find the problem then I would have to pay between $300-350 out of pocket. I informed the gentleman that over at Nissan they had told me that Toyota would have me drive my car for a 1k miles and return to check the level of oil. He said I could do that. On 11-10-10 the check engine light came on as I was driving home. So I made another appointment with Windward Toyota to check the cause for that. This time he got a hand held meter to check the fuses. When I inquired what he found, he stated "Yes there was some kind of glitch but it worked its out." On 11-19-10 I made an appointment at Leeward Toyota. I had hoped that their mechanics maybe able to diagnosis the problem of why my RAV4 was loosing oil so quickly. 11-21-10 at 10:30am I took my vehicle in for its scheduled appointment. Since none of their loaners were available I rented a car from Alamo (this is another story all its own). I thought it would only take them 24 hours to diagnosis the problem. When I called them to inquire about the status of my vehicle I was told that they still had not gotten to it because it was on "stand by" and they would not be able to get to it till possibly Friday.Thank God I had called Leeward Toyota around 9:00a.m. Between 10:30-11am Aaron returns my call and informs that my car is on standby to be serviced. I informed him that no one had told me when I made the reservation that it would be on standby. And besides, if they find that the problem is covered by the warranty then they will be responsible for reimbursing me for the car rental that I was using. He told me that he will call me back around 3:30 to let me know what they find. I got the call at 2:30. Can you guess what they found?

- , Kaneohe, HI, Pacific Islands (US)