2006 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 052010

2006 Toyota Rav4 suddenly accelerated uncontrollably in a residential district; driver applied standard brake which did nothing to slow acceleration, so the driver tried to break the vehicle's momentum by scaling a large chain-linked fence on the driver's side. The car was airborn a few seconds, driver pulled emergency brake, hit a stop sign, landed, the vehicle stopped, and smoke was coming from the left side of the front hood. The impact of landing broke the driver's back, caused several bulging lumbar discs, and broke the left foot. To correct the failure the owner of the vehicle has contacted Toyota who is sending out their "smart team" to download information from the car's black box or event data recorder which contains a history of the driver's actions and the history of the car's actions. They should be doing this the week of April 26.

- Manti, UT, USA

Jun 142007

I bought my brand new Toyota rav 4 in August 2006. I use it very lightly mostly to commute to work which is about 10 miles. About 9 month later, I heard a squeaking noise when I hit the brakes. When I took my car to the dealer. I was told the front brakes need to be changed. I argued that the brakes have to be defective since with my previous car I changed the brakes once in 16 years. The dealer argued that I have to be an aggressive driver that why I wore the brakes so fast and that it is not covered by warranty. This problem was repeated twice after that. This means that in less than 4 years. I changed the front brake pads twice and the rear brake pads once. I found this extremely unusual. So far I have spent almost $1000 to repeatedly change brake pads and rotors. Recently I believe I found the problem. When I press the gas pedal the car speeds very easily and very fast. However, when I release my foot off the gas pedal the car does not slow down spontaneously. The gas pedal takes an unusually long time to go to the idle position. Hence, I have to use the brakes much more frequently which wears them out very fast. This is a safety issue and needs to be addressed and fixed. I am going to the dealer tomorrow.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 102010

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. While sitting idle with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Within moments, the contact placed the vehicle into the neutral position and was able to stop the unintended acceleration. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. There were no repairs performed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 84,650 and the current was 84,750. Updated 08/03/10

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Oct 152009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The contact was decelerating approximately 35 mph while braking when the vehicle began to surge forward unexpectedly. In order to stop the acceleration the contact shifted the vehicle into neutral. The identical failure has occurred on three occasions. The vehicle was taken to authorized dealer for inspection. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure and stated that the vehicle was down shifting. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 32000.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Oct 262006

I purchased a Toyota 2006 rav 4 in January of 2006 and had the car serviced at the Toyota dealer per the scheduled factory maintenance suggestions. In October of 2006, I was trying to avoid running a yellow light on peachtree street in atlanta, and accelerated hard to avoid the yellow light. The car lunged forward and was out of control. Even though I lifted my foot completely off the pedal. After getting through the initial shock I put the transmission in neutral, the engine revved up to the red line and I turned the ignition switch off. After waiting for a minute I restarted the car in park and the engine idled normally. I took the car to the Toyota dealer for the scheduled maintenance and after inspecting it he told me there was nothing wrong with the car. After the recall of the Toyota rav 4's I called the Toyota dealer I bought the car from and talked to his service manager. He told me that the 2006 rav 4's have not been recalled as they have a different gas pedal and were made in Japan. He could not explain the cause of the acceleration. The car has not done that since, however I am not driving the car anymore. My daughter is and this concerns me greatly. No fixes or repairs have been done on the car by the Toyota dealer.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jun 152008

Experienced sudden acceleration on many occasions especially after going at substantial speeds such at 45-50 miles and hour where the car will surge to even higher speeds with constant or little pressure on the gas. This car drives unlike any car we've had before in that you can't maintain constant pressure on the throttle you have to constantly accelerate and then drift in order to stay within speed limits. Keeping slight pressure on the throttle will cause it to constantly accelerate, not maintain its speed.

- Chester, VA, USA

Jan 152009

I have 2006 Toyota Rav4. Just read my Jan. 2009 note. It happen twice on my car. My car accelerate uncontrollable even though I try to pump gas pedal several times car just won't slow down. I thought pedal stuck. Car slow down when I press brake pedal. Just let you know. It never happen again.

- Hayward,Ca. , CA, USA

Sep 012006

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. She was driving approximately 35 mph when she tried to apply the brakes, when the vehicle accelerated on it's own. The driver stated that she tried placing both feet on the brake pedal but it did not help. Eventually the vehicle began to slow down. She also took the vehicle to the dealer but their records indicate that there was a brake problem. The failure mileage was 500. The current mileage was 28,000.

- Bardonia, NY, USA

Feb 222010

My wife and I have both experienced unintended acceleration while our 2006 Toyota Rav4 was operating with cruise control engaged or while re-engaging cruise control after slowing for traffic. In each case, the vehicle accelerated well beyond the cruise control set point (typically 55 mph). This acceleration occurred on flat roads, no ice or water on the road. The engine was fully warmed up, and the vehicle has been serviced on a regular basis at prescribed intervals by our local Toyota dealer. This unintended acceleration has occurred 5 or 6 times over the life of the vehicle. The most recent occurrence was February 22, 2010 when I re-engaged the cruise control from a speed of 50 mph to the previous set point of 55 mph. The vehicle accelerated to 65 mph and was still gaining speed when I disengaged the cruise control. Fortunately, the vehicle responded to turning off the cruise control, the brakes functioned normally, and I was able to avoid hitting the vehicle ahead of me on the highway. This vehicle is not involved in any of the current Toyota recalls, and our local Toyota dealer does not take our reports of unintended acceleration seriously. Therefore, no action has been taken to correct the failure(s) and no parts have been replaced.

- Prineville, OR, USA

Jun 222009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that as he was driving at 55 mph the vehicle accelerated up to 70 mph and would not stop. As he depressed the brake pedal the vehicle continued to accelerate on its own. The dealer was called and stated that he had to wait until he received a recall notice before he could bring the vehicle in. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Ann Harbor, MI, USA

Feb 072006

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while shifting the vehicle from park to drive the vehicle would accelerate and lunge forward. The contact stated that the failure had occurred since the vehicle was purchased. The contact has taken the vehicle to a dealer regarding the sudden acceleration but the dealer could not diagnose the failure. The contact stated that the failure was electrical. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

Aug 152009

Toyota Rav4 le 2006 gas pedal got stuck down 4 times since we bought this vehicle 3 years ago. Toyota motor co is saying I got over 30,000 miles so warranty is up.. pl I need help in this problem.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Jun 152006

2006 Toyota rav 4 has twice experienced long term acceleration. Both times it experienced high speed acceleration which continued after coming off the accelerator. No damage or injuries occurred. In both cases, the rav 4 was returned to the local Toyota dealer for service. After the second occurrence, the dealer kept the car for 4 days for driving and analysis. The problem could not be repeated while in their service facility. The on-board computer did not show and malfunctions. The dealer suspected a "floor mat" problem and installed 2 retaining clips.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Jun 072009

Started having intermittent incidents approx 8 mths ago. 3 X occurred. 2 X when pulling into driveway to park, driveway slightly graded up slant, braked but minor increase acceleration occurred. Braked harder & stopped. Increase acceleration continued for approx 15-20 sec longer then returned idle. Took service & tune-up. Told them, serviced and said fine. Also checked electrical as lighting switched from front to back seat for no reason. Told just reprogram needed & ok. After that service had one more incident when over mcdonald's mill valley - drive thru - vehicle ahead moved & I tried to just move slowly too. Accelerated much higher than foot pressure on pedal. Hit brakes hard & just missed car ahead of me. Car was stopped, but acceleration remained higher for 30-45 sec. Line held up until acceleration seemed ok. Then moved ahead w no issues. Now no incidents X approx. 2 months. Note pedal action has always appeared ok. Not human error. Found no known cause. Do use standard rubber Rav4 floor mats - ok & clearance to depressed pedal 3 1/2-4 inches. I was unaware of problems Toyota when these occurred, then news, & "red light" & thought of my incidents. Will they return again" my VIN# says I am ok" I do know incidents happened. Had spoken with my son who is auto engineer too. Minor or major incidents still do carry risk exposure for me. And cost effect risk exposure too. Note I do not know exact dates of 4 incidents.

- Mill Valley, CA, USA

Dec 242009

RAV4 4-cyl

Vehicle: 2006 Toyota rav 4 problem: Stuck accelerator date of incident: December 24, 2009 my wife was leaving work on the 24th of December. Our car was parked facing uphill. As she was leaving her parking space, she depressed the accelerator slightly and the car "took off" on its own. She ended up hitting a car on the other side of the road, then going over to the other side, over a sidewalk, snow bank and then hitting a building. I have reported this incident to Toyota who went to my local dealer to check it out. They claim that they could not find anything and sent a letter to my house stating that fact. The weather conditions that day were sloppy snow. As mentioned, the car was facing uphill so the slippery conditions actually acted in her favor. I wrote up a full report with photos that I sent to both Toyota and state farm. I would be happy to E-mail this report to you as well. Our rav 4 had a little over 51,000 miles on it when the accident occurred. It is a 4 cylinder, automatic.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Aug 152008

I have a 2006 Rav4 Toyota SUV. My gas pedal has been sticking since 2007. I have had a accident because of it, where I had over $7000 worth of damage done to repair it. At a Toyota dealership. I mention about the pedal, but no one believed me, so I just dropped it. It is still happening sometimes, where I have to turn the car off for a while, then turn it back on and then drive it. I telephoned Toyota about it and they gave me a case# for it. Then after 3 days after they gave me a case number, they told me that I have to have another accident in the Rav4, take it to a dealership and see if they can make it happen again. I could be died then!!. when I had the accident, not only did I have damage to my car, but I did damage to a building because my car when out of control and back in to the side of a building. A police report was done, but it was not mention in the police report. The damage to the building had to be more than a thousand dollars and compensation for the people inside it. It happen at a gas station in buford, Georgia. It seems like Toyota do not want anyone to know that their gas pedals has been sticking for more years than they own up to. I am leasing my RV4 and have one more year left in my lease. Please pray that I can control my gas pedal while I am trying to complete this lease without getting killed.

- Dacula, GA, USA

Jun 102007

This is in regard to the Toyota gas pedal recall. I have a 2006 Rav4 and did in fact experience an acceleration problem once back in 2007 or 2008. It was very brief and the car recovered quickly. I was only going 35 or 40. I played with the gas pedal and it stopped. It did not happen again, but now am concerned because according to the VIN number and year of my car, it actually isn't included in the recall and maybe the recall needs to be expanded.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Dec 182009

We have a 2006 Toyota rav 4. on Dec.18, my wife, pulled out of a parking lot and the vehicle started accelerating faster than she wanted to go. She pushed on the foot brake but could not slow or stop the vehicle. When she let up on the brake, it sped up more, and even applying the brake as hard as she could, it did not stop. She bumped into the back of another SUV and then a little further on jumped the curb and smashed into a concrete filled steel pole which did major damage to the right front. She then managed to turn into a parking lot and got it stopped using the hand brake. My insurance company opted to repair the vehicle. At my request, the body shop took it to the Toyota dealer who checked it out mechanically and electrically and, of course, declared all systems within "factory specifications" in thinking back, my wife can recall other times when the rav 4 seemed to accelerate more than she expected, but she was able to control it. She has been driving over 50 years and is a cautious driver. During this wild ride she conscientiously checked to see that she was pressing on the brake pedal and not the accelerator. The floor mat is secured by little hooks so it cannot slide up under the accelerator or brake pedals. (in the idle position, the accelerator pedal is almost 2 inches above the floor).

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 022010

My Toyota Rav4 (2006 model) seemed to accelerate on its own. A hard slam on the brakes slowed it down, but we almost hit another car. We were driving in the city of Chicago. It was a one time event in Jan/2010.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 122006

Purchased Rav4 in May 2006. Noticed soon after that car would surge forward, especially when you want to slow down and let your foot off the brake to coast. I have had it to the dealer numerous times and they can find nothing. It makes for a very rough ride, but even more importantly if concerns me that I will crash into something or somebody. I even took it to the dealer I purchased the car from and left it for a week while I went on vacation. Nothing found.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA