2006 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Nov 012010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Rav4. While driving 10 mph and making a turn, the contact noticed a clunking noise from the steering column. The failure occurred every time the contact made a left or right turn. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 56,000.

- Centerburg, OH, USA

RAV4

My steering has developed a serious knocking. Initially it was light but is now rapidly increasing specifically when making short turns like exiting my garage and/or backing up. The car has 47000 miles and I don't think a defect like this should happen. It certainly is not part of regular maintenance. Checking the web I notice that many complaints have been filed about this problem and I wonder why Toyota has not recalled the model to fix this obvious- and possibly dangerous - defect.

Sep 012007

RAV4

Clunking steering column when turning. Started at about 15K miles. Now 45K and noise much more pronounced. Read this is rod/shaft problem with 2006S, see that majority of complains filed w/ NHTSA relate to this issue. Why is Toyota not recalling? they claim not safety issue. Clunking noise while turning can't be good for future integrity of vehicle's steering. It's not a problem until there is a serious injury or death. Read Toyota recalled 2005S for same issue, and read no post-2006 models suffer same problem. Come on Toyota, fix this problem on 2006S.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Apr 062010

RAV4

2006 Rav4 steering clunk.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Oct 292010

RAV4

Steering column making a clicking sound when turning the wheel at a slow speed going both forward and in reverse. Clicking has gotten more frequent and stronger over the past months.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Oct 012010

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

2006 Toyota Rav4. S10 appropriate handling- letter from regarding Toyota problems the consumer stated her make, model and year vehicle has a widely known defect in the steering column and the ECM computer is also defective and needs to be replaced. There is also an associated rattling sound. The vehicle has been taken to the dealer on two occasions regarding the problems. The consumer was given an estimate of close to two thousand dollars for the repairs. In addition, the mechanic stated the vehicle was unsafe to drive because the steering could fail at any time. Also, the tires were leaking air.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 102010

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

Toyota 2006 Rav4 4 cyl automatic 4 wheel drive has frequent clunking sound when turning the wheel at low speeds. After searching for similar problems online I found numerous complaints others have had regarding "steering intermediate shaft noise Rav4". it seems to be a very common problem that is not covered once out of warranty and it seems there is a real concern that failure of the part could lead to a real safety problem.

- Burbank, CA, USA

May 012009

RAV4

My 2006 Toyota Rav4 has a clunking noise when turning. The dealer said I would need to replace the steering column for $300 if I wanted to eliminate the noise. I declined. They said it was not a safety issue. Now the power steering warning light has come on.

- Coeur D'alene, ID, USA

Oct 152010

RAV4

Our 2006 Rav4 has a knocking sound when you turn. We took it in for 90K service at the Toyota dealership and they said it was a steering rod/shaft issue that would cost $2000 to replace. We asked if it was safe to drive because we can't afford that repair and wanted to shop for other pricing, and they said we could but to be careful because it could cause additional damage at any time. I've read about several other complaints and how this is a Toyota defect and not a driver fault, so I'm concerned why this hasn't yet been recalled. I saw there were was a recall for 2005 and earlier models for the same issue, why is it now not being addressed since it could cause further damage and safety issues?

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 012007

RAV4

This defect is with regard to my 2006 Toyota Rav4. Turning the steering wheel at low speed causes multiple loud clunking sounds, and the steering wheel vibrates along with clunk. It's almost like a ratcheting behavior on the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering mechanism. This defect began at approximately 40,000 miles. The car has 83,000 miles and the clunking is becoming more pronounced. There is at least one Toyota technical bulletin on the defect: #ST001-08. It describes a new series of parts redesigned to correct the issue. When I brought car to dealer for repair, they said parts are on backorder and Toyota isn't offering a recall or assistance in covering the cost of the repair. As it requires redesigned parts, is a prevalent defect, and directly involves the steering integrity of the vehicle, I would contend that Toyota should recall the affected cars and replace these defective parts without charge and without delay.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Apr 182010

RAV4 6-cyl

2006 Toyota rav 4 with 23,500 miles. Steering knocking noise and clunking. Started at 20,000 miles approx. I went on line and found this to be a common complaint with rav owners yet there has been no recall. Why? I can't get a straight answer as to whether this is a noise problem or will be a steering problem.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Sep 282010

RAV4 6-cyl

Vehicle purchased new in June 2006 returned to dealer in March 2008; approx 32K miles. Complained to service rep. Of "clunk" sound in the steering mechanism during low speed operation. Tech standing nearby stated, in effect, "they do that alot". (he is now probably unemployed) dealer replaced (at their cost) the steering shaft, part #45260-42090. In August 2010, approx 70K miles; vehicle was returned to dealer for state inspection with, again, complaint of "clunk" noise in steering mechanism at low speed. The state inspection was completed; dealer found no fault with the steering mechanism. On 09/28/10; 72K miles, vehicle returned to dealer for replacement of faulty door latch and complaint saa. "clunk" dealer replaced steering shaft, part #45221-42070 two parts are both part of the steering column; but are not the same component the first shaft replaced was a "lower shaft" the part replaced on 09/28 is the "intermediate shaft" although Toyota has issued "service bulletins"concerning steering column shaft failures; the company refuses to acknowledge that there is an existing design flaw an internet "google" search for clunking noises in the 2006 Rav4 retrieves many similar complaints. (not exactly evidence I would want to walk into a courtroom with) I suggest that the only reason there have not been a rash of steering related accidents is that the consumer can identify the noise and correct the defect prior to a catastrophic failure. I am certain that a review of vehicle repair histories of this vehicle will reveal an alarmingly high incidence of failure for the steering column.

- Miller Place , NY, USA

Sep 012010

RAV4

Clunking is heard and felt from the steering column when turning corners. This occurs about 80% of the time and is getting worse. Toyota has addressed that this problem is in the intermediate shaft of the steering column and needs to be replaced at a cost of $530 cdn.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Aug 132010

RAV4

The steering column clunks when you turn the wheel. My vehicle has 85,000 miles. The clunking is getting worse. Toyota should recall this vehicle! there are many others who are experiencing this problem.

- Wesley Chapel, FL, USA

Sep 102010

RAV4

My 2006 Toyota rav-4 makes a clunking noise when I turn a corner. At first, it was only when I turned to the left. Now the noise is worse and it makes the noise no matter which way I am turning. I have reported it every time I take my vehicle in to Toyota for servicing, but they claim they can't find a problem. My car has 31,000+ miles on it.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Sep 032010

RAV4

The steering column 'clunks' when you turn the wheel. My vehicle has 85,000 miles, and I was recently informed by the dealership that I will need to get it repaired, but since there's no recall for this defect, I will have to pay for it myself! meanwhile, the clunking is getting worse. Toyota should recall this vehicle! there are many others who are experiencing this problem.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Aug 202010

RAV4

When slowly turning and applying the brakes, there is a clunking in the wheel as you turn. Many others have complained about this being the intermediate steering shaft. If this many people are complaining, I don't know why a recall hasn't been issued. I have contacted Toyota to question this; however I have yet to hear back from them.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 102010

RAV4

2006 Toyota Rav4 clunking/popping noise when turning steering wheel. Dealer says I need interm. Steering shaft, clamps and hose for a total of $597.49. This seems to be a widespread problem, why no recall? gear shifter and gear shifter slide became problematic at 49,000 miles but was covered by warranty.

- Woodstock, GA, USA