2.3

2007 Toyota RAV4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 142014

RAV4 6-cyl

2007 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to vehicle water pump failure. The #6 ignition coil was replaced, as it was shorting out and the steering wheel made an unusual noise, when it was turned.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 082013

RAV4

A R E call now on the clock spring stop acting stupid's.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Aug 142013

RAV4

Upon starting the vehicle I noticed that on the instrument panel the airbag light was illuminated. This indicated that there was a problem with the safety system which allows the airbag to inflate during a frontal or side impact crash. I scheduled an appointment with the local Toyota dealership for further investigation. On the day of the appointment I was informed that there was a malfunction in the spiral clock cable which resides under the steering wheel and is an intricate part of the safety, driver side and other airbags within the vehicle. If this part was not replaced then I could be fatally hurt or killed if the airbag would not deploy. I was also informed that Toyota had done a recall on this exact part but only on the Toyota Tacoma, this effected over 700,000 vehicles recalled for this same problem. I contacted Toyota immediately after having the repairs done to my vehicle. I received a message back from them stating that they would reimburse me for the part plus the tax but not for the labor charges, they claim that the labor charges would not be reimbursed due to the number of miles on my vehicle, but if they had included the Rav4S in the recall the labor charges would have been included. I have had more than 4 recalls on my vehicle done in just the past couple of months. Although I am grateful that I am receiving the reimbursement for the part and tax I think that the labor should be included, due to the fact that the part was a major recall on other models.

- Manchester, TN, USA

Aug 172013

RAV4

My 8 month old baby was auto- locked in the car on an 80 degree sunny day! I double clicked the unlock button on my car's key fob on approach, opened the rear passenger side door and put my child in the car seat and put my purse (keys on top) in the floor with the diaper bag. Entire car still unlocked, I closed the rear passenger door and walked around to the driver's side to get in. The car beeped aloud before I could grab the door handle to get in, locking all doors of the vehicle. Luckily there was a mechanic on the same street I was on, but it still took 15 minutes start to finish to finally get my child out. Upon reading the owner's manual, it stated that there is a 30 second timer for the autolock feature that automatically locks the entire vehicle if a door is not opened in that time after being unlocked. I had, however, opened the rear door to place the child in his seat. There is no way this could have been an error on my part as I was not only outside the vehicle when it locked itself, but there are no lock/unlock buttons in the car except on the driver's side which I had yet to enter. So I could not have even hit one by accident.

- Cambridge, MD, USA

Jun 062013

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 was being driven by my wife and she noticed indicator lights suddenly coming on the dashboard and the vehicle sputtering and starting to stall. Prior to the vehicle stalling, she noticed the power steering inoperable and she was having difficulty steering to bring the vehicle to the shoulder lane and to a stop. She called me and I called for emergency roadside assistance. The vehicle was restarted. At this time, as the engine ran, the power steering was still inoperable and the vehicle was undrivable. It was then towed home. My mechanic checked and found the battery to be undercharged due to a defective alternator not properly charging the battery. The battery and the alternator was replaced and the power steering and all other functions resumed back to normal. My safety concern is that the power steering unit should not have stopped functioning as long as the engine was in operation. If the braking system continued to operate normally as the engine ran, the power steering unit should also continue to operate so that the driver can stay in complete control of the vehicle. If my wife was traveling at a higher rate of speed and on a busy interstate freeway, the outcome could have been disastrous. Please look into getting Toyota to recall and correcting this safety issue on mine and other 2007 Rav4S. Thank you for your assistance. A reply would be greatly appreciated.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Feb 232013

RAV4 4-cyl

My airbag light was on. When I took my car in for the annual state inspection, I was informed that I would have to replace the spiral cable for airbag light that had shorted out. The assembly was replaced at a total cost of $442.01. This vehicle has had an earlier recall for an airbag sensor and I feel that this should be a safety recall issue as well and not the financial responsibility of the car owner.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Nov 032012

RAV4

With no warning, the three lights came on: 4WD, vsc, engine. Now the dealer tells me that coil #5 failed and needs to be replaced for a staggering $350 parts and labor. Amazing, because the part costs only $40, what is there worth labor for $310? I researched this issue and it turns out that this is a very common issue with these Toyota Rav4 cars. I fixed it and two weeks later, coil #4 failed, this one for another $350! what is going on with this car. It is a big problem with coils failing.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Sep 182012

RAV4 4-cyl

I was driving down forest ave in brockton, MA, the driver side door stated smoking, I quickly turned the engine off, got me and my son out of the car and called the fire department who disconnected the battery and suggested that I got it towed to a repair shop. So I did, to copland toyoyta where it was troubleshoot to a master switch ass. It was repaired and I had to pay $580.70 because they said its not covered by warranty.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 222012

RAV4 6-cyl

Traveling approximately 45 mph on dry pavement. Went to apply brakes prior to approaching turn lane and could not stop. Brakes were there (pedal was firm and did not go to floor) but accelerator seem to override the braking system. Proceeded to stand on brakes to attempt to stop as there were three lanes of stopped traffic and no where else to go. Shifted car into park to come to an abrupt stop to avoid hitting 8+ cars and pushing them into a very large intersection. Car had approximately 46000 miles on it and had new brakes installed 8 months prior. Car had been serviced 1 month prior for general service point checks. Took car to dealership same day of this incident - they could not find nothing wrong with the car. Offered to service based on a previous recall to remove the current floormat and adjust accelerator. One month prior to this incident the radio stopped working for a couple of days then started working intermittently sometimes displaying garbled text on the radio display.

- Cold Spring, KY, USA

Sep 222012

RAV4

My wife left home to drive to the store - a 3-mile trip, all in-town driving. After traveling about 1/2 mile, smoke started coming into the car from behind the panel on the inside of the driver's door. She stopped the car. The volume of smoke accumulating in the car increased. A passer-by stopped, called 911, reported the fire, and assisted my wife, who climbed into the front passenger seat and exited the car out the front, right passenger door. By the time the firemen and police arrived, approximately 3-5 minutes later, smoke was dense and flames were surrounding the edges of the door panel. Firemen sprayed water on the panel, pulled the panel off the door, and continued to apply water until the fire was extinguished. Thankfully, my wife was able to stop and exit the car quickly. Had she been in heavy, fast-moving traffic, it could have been a life-threatening situation. Also, the non-availability of firemen would have resulted in much more fire- damage to the car and possibly an explosion.

- Elberton, GA, USA

Apr 042011

RAV4

I was driving the Rav4 in April 2011 and again on September 14, 2012 when the same incident occurred.the first time there was no warning, the battery light did not come on, first the radio quit playing and then the car went dead as I was moving in traffic. Needless to say it was very stressful being struck in traffic. Thanks to some kind ladies, the car was pushed out of the way. We suspected it was a battery malfunction, although the battery was only 8 months old. We took the battery to place of purchase and they tried to charge it, it would not charge so they replaced the battery for free because it was still under warranty. On Friday, September 14 I was driving in heavy traffic and this time the battery light came on for a few minutes, then the radio went out and the car died. This was extremely stressful as traffic was speeding behind me and I was afraid I would get rear ended. Once again there were two females that helped me push the car out of traffic. Once again the battery was replaced as it was still under warranty, however this time the battery light will not go out. After doing some investigating, I believe the problem stems from the rav 4 's electrical steering and the fact that it pulls to much power. There is not reason why the car should just quit while your driving in traffic. It is hard to trust the vehicle when it suddenly stops in traffic and will not start again.

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 232003

RAV4 6-cyl

The car filled with the smell, and smoke of burning wire.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 302012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph burning fumes were emitted into the vehicle and smoke started to come out from the door. The contact mentioned that right before he was able to stop the vehicle it engulf into flames. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 042012

RAV4

Was driving normal - only a few minutes after ignition - strange scent of plastic burning. Looked down to find a thick white smoke coming from window switches, flame seen through cracks. Had to pull over immediately @ gas/service station to extinguish the flame - I had no liquid to extinguish at time of incident. Went directly to Toyota dealership and dropped off vehicle. They are saying there is no recall - so they would not purchase me a rental had to pay for it myself. I found these links right away once I got in front of a computer: www.ktvu.com/news/news/Toyota-recalling-778000-Rav4-SUVS/np8cr/ this is the latest issue for the popular Rav4, which is currently involved in a government investigation of door fires that have been linked to power window switches. wot.motortrend.com/burning-Toyota-camryrav4-window-switches-prompt-NHTSA-investigation-168895.html end of report.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Aug 122012

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, there was smoke and a burning smell coming from the driver side electrical panel. The vehicle was pulled into a tire shop and the fire was extinguished. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer who advised that they would need to replace the control panel because all of the wires were melted. The manufacturer was notified who sent out a representative to inspect the failure, advising the contact that they would respond within thirty days. The vehicle was not yet repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 74,120.  ..updated 09/12/12 updated 09/12/2012

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Aug 212012

RAV4 4-cyl

I was driving when suddenly I saw smoke coming out of the power window switch on the driver's-side door. When I stop to check I saw fire inside the door. I immediate ask for assistance. When he uncover the switch it has a nickel side hole. There is no major damage to my vehicle other than the switch not working or my windows. I really think I was lucky that I was near my brothers home when this happen. If I was somewhere (like the freeway) I really taught my whole car would of caught on fire and lucky my child was not in the vehicle with me.

- Corona , CA, USA

Jul 302012

RAV4

My 2007 Rav4 driver side rear window wont go up and down. The driver side control switch for the rear driver side window does not move. The switch for the rear driver side window on the back door does not work all the time. When it does work just one tap and the rear window (driver side) goes down all the way by its self. The other three switches for the windows and the other three windows seem to work and respond how they should. Only problem is with the rear window and the switch on both the driver door and the rear window door (driver side). Also while driving to work driving aprox 10 mph my rear passenger side wheel bent in toward the wheel well. The tie rod was broke and the tie rod was very rusted. The dealer said it was a freak occurrence and fixed it while under warranty. Problem is that the other side of the rear suspension (driver side) is also rusted but they did not fix it at the same time. This happened June 14th at about 6:10 am I was not told of the recall of this tie rod issue at the time of it getting fixed. They played it off as it were a freak occurrence.. Toyota/Scion dealer of berlin city Toyota.

- Gorham , ME, USA

Jul 262012

RAV4

This just happend to me on the morning of 07/26/2012. I was on a business trip and leaving the airport. As I was about to pay my parking fee the driver side door started smoking and I saw a small fire starting to flare up on the driver's seat door by the window switch. I turned off the car and within 3 minutes the whole door was up in flames.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 092012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the driver's side door caught on fire inside of the door panel. The vehicle had not been diagnosed by a dealer at the time. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 107,802.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 202010

RAV4 6-cyl

The driver door's window/lock control panel spontaneously caught fire while I was operating the vehicle. I was not using the controls at the time. I could hear the sound of burning and feel heat behind the panel, however no actual flames came outside of the panel. Copious amounts of smoke began to billow from the openings in the control panel. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition. After several seconds the sound of burning ceased. The smoke continued to billow from the openings in the control panel for a couple of minutes. I called the Toyota dealer where I purchased the car and was told by the service department to come in. I restarted the car and drove about one mile to the dealership. While I was driving small amounts of smoke continued to come out through the openings in the control panel. At the dealership they placed some kind of "lock" on the driver's side control for the front passenger window. I have since seen the actual control mechanism. A portion of the electrical component is charred, and where this char is there is a hole burned through the plastic enclosure.

- Torrance, CA, USA