2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 242014

Excessive oil consumption. Engine locked. After contacting Toyota main hotline to alert them of the problem. They provided me with information to test the oli consumption and to take the results to the local dealership. After completing initial testing, the dealerhship informed me that it was not burning oil. The vehicle still was burning oll. Toyota subsequently issued a notice that the vehicles were burning oil and that they would send a part to the dealerships to repair the problem. The dealership then informed me that they were waiting on the parts to correct the problem. The parts never arrived and now my engine has locked due to insufficient oil. I want to be made whole.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 052016

Took vehicle in for an unrelated recall and was told we needed to have an oil consumption test, vehicle failed - had engine rebuild work performed at Toyota dealership (as recommended by Toyota to remedy the oil consumption failure) free of charge with the exception of the dealerships recommendation of replacing the water pump and gaskets we paid for. Less than 10K miles later the motor is blown - cause given: Oil starvation. We had the oil changed every 3000 miles and the oil was checked once a month and never showed low on the dip stick. The dealership and an engineer deemed the problem is ours and take no responsibility. We as consumers were never represented at the time the determination was made. I have requested the engineer's report in writing. To be clear, the vehicle was perfectly fine when originally taken in for the unrelated recall, it didn't even require additional oil between oil changes.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 272015

I started an excessive oil consumption test with westchester Toyota on 2-27-15 and failed on 4-7-15. Since then I have been repeatedly told that I am a waiting list and it is unknown when my engine will B overhauled. My current rate of oil consumption is 10 quarts of oil for 3000 miles and this has steadily increased. My exhaust is coated in burnt oil and I fear the engine will seize at some point. Yet I am on a waiting list for over a year with no repair date in site.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Apr 252016

Purchased my Rav4 used from Toyota/Scion of grand rapids around January/February of 2016. It had just a smidge over 77,000 miles on it. My first oil change was early due to low oil light coming on. I took it into a private owned shop where it was discovered there was hardly any oil in it at all. Contact the dealership, they had me bring it in to check, and start my oil consumption test. Test completed at 81,711 miles. The techs "checked it" and that it passed the test and therefore, would not perform the rebuild. Additionally, told me that it's normal for vehicles to consume oil. I thought it was a bit excessive, getting a low oil light halfway in between oil changes. I accepted the news thinking maybe it was just a fluke. After 2,000 miles, I decided to re-check my oil. Again, there was practically nothing on the dipstick, my light had not turned on. I contacted the dealership again and I asked about having another test done. To which they replied, "Toyota only allows 2 free tests (per year?)". so instead of starting another test, I was told to check my oil every thousand miles. And if my light came on again, contact them as soon as possible. Their goal was to "make it fail" so that they would perform the rebuild for me. At the 1,000 mile mark, I checked the dipstick. Already down to about 3/4. I thought this alone was pretty excessive. At the 2,000 mile mark I checked again. Hardly anything on the dipstick this time. Could not read the level properly. I contacted the dealership and the tech asked some questions. Still wasn't "good enough." I questioned him about the newest reading, he said it was "normal" and gave me some garbage about oil use and thinning out, etc. He instructed me to put in 2 more quarts of oil and to keep checking every 1,000 miles. Seems to me that there is definitely an issue, and the dealership is not acknowledging it.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Aug 072016

Car completely shuts down during driving. Just bought this 2 days ago and it's happened twice already, once on city roads and once on hwy. Everything shuts off, lights/engine/everything.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Jul 312015

Car losing oil comparable to other complaints logged by owners on various boards and Toyota sites across www. dealership replaced oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket and problem is not resolved.

- Malta, NY, USA

Jul 182016

I was driving to fredericksburg on I-95 around midnight last Monday. All of a sudden all my warning lights came on. My engine made a loud noise, stalled and then died while I was driving. I was able to get my car to the right shoulder luckily or I would have been dead probably. Got the car towed to the nearest shop. They said I only had 1 quart of oil, and I told them I that is impossible because I change my oil on a regular basis. My oil sticker is in the right side of my windshield. They said due to the lack of oil, I blew a piston and a bearing and they had to take my engine apart. So now my warranty apparently won't cover this so I'm stuck with a car with no engine.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 162016

Vehicle is consuming an excessive amount of oil which I feel could lead to catastrophic engine failure, and if this should occur while I am driving on an expressway at a high speed it could be disastrous. The dealer inspected the vehicle and said that the consumption is normal at the rate of 1 qt per 1000 miles which I disagree.

- Garfield, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Since 2015 I was informed by the elgin Toyota dealership during my oil changes that my Toyota 2007 Rav4 had virtually no oil. The dealership replenished it and 1000 miles later the oil light comes on and no oil was registered on the dipstick. Sept 2015 I was finally told about an oil consumption test which they said I passed yet oil would disappear now within 800 miles. They agreed to do another oil consumption test and during that time the oil light came on so I drove to the nearest dealership which was in St. Charles, il. They told me there was no oil in the car and the elgin dealership should had never passed my car. I had to do a 3rd oil consumption test because I was a few miles over the required mileage for the 2nd test to be valid. In February 2016 I failed the oil consumption test and they put me on the wait list and told me they're out of parts to fix the car. Despite repeated phone calls to service manager and open case at the recommended toll free # I have not been taking care of. The car can not drive even 400 miles without me refilling the oil. They basically told me there is nothing they can do and the district manager did not approve a rental car. I am a professional businesswoman and have to go under my vehicle every 2 days! I have to purchased a 5 quart jug of oil every two weeks and was told to keep my receipts because they will reimburse me, which at this point I don't believe them because they don't appeared to have any attention on fixing the problem. I'm worried my only means of transportation will blow its engine which is what Toyota probably wants to happen so they can blame me and that's one less person they have to deal with. I paid over 20K for this car.

- South Elgin, IL, USA

May 282016

We were driving straight on I-95 at 70 mph when we heard some loud noises and the car started swerving (between exits 65 and 71 in nc). We thought the tire blew out, but then we saw smoke in the rear window. We managed to pull to the side of the road and saw some oil leaking in the bottom. We opened the hood and smoke was coming out. The outside of the tail pipe was completely black. We had the vehicle towed to a Toyota dealership and were informed that the engine was blown. A piston drove through the engine block.

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 152015

Took a trip from wa.state to Utah.had oil changed and checked before departing. Checked oil in Utah and saw that oil was way down. Bought more oil for trip home.we used about 4-5 qrts for entire trip. Took car to Toyota dealer to do oil usage test. After test dealer said it did not use enough oil to fix the problem. We are very unsatisfied with this result and are wondering what to do now. After reading many blogs we see that this is a big problem that Toyota is not very eager to fix. Should we take legal action?

- Washougal, WA, USA

Jan 252016

Oil cumsumption recall. My check engine light would pop on only a few weeks after an oil change. I brought the car in for an oil consumption test. Brought the car back in 1200 miles after the oil change, and they said the car failed the oil consumption test, and that I would be notified when they have a fix. Four months later I am still waiting. Had another oil change near the end of March, I inquired on what the status was for this fix, they told me that since this is a large national recall that I was on the bottom of a repair list, and that there is only one plant in the United States making parts for this recall. They then told me that I have been moved up to number 5 on their wait list. Toward the end of April, my check engine light went on again. I first checked the dipstick, and there was no oil on it. I refilled the oil myself and it took a full 5 quarts. Now there is oil on the dipstick, still have yet to hear a thing from Toyota. Why are they making me wait" are they waiting until the warranty on my car expires so I have to pay for the repair" in my opinion, to make me have to wait this long is not right. Toyota is a billion dollar industry and should have the parts ready especially for a recall of this magnitude.

- Glendale, WI, USA

Jan 042016

Toyota is a well known global auto company with high standard and high performance autos. It's totally unacceptable for an engine to consume oil after 60,000 miles. The low mileage engine malfunction is totally due to bad quality manufacturing practices, low standards of quality and performance which may cause thousands of dollars in losses and penalty for the Toyota 01/15/2016 file number: 1512120607 motor sales company. Only in California over 40 customers reported complains to California bureau of automotive repair a department of consumer affair over the engine oil consumption of Toyota Rav4. The Toyota motor sales company is required to correspond within three business days upon receiving this letter to prevent further legal complaint by the plaintiff. Hereby the plaintiff demand the Toyota motor sales to issue a full refund in amount of $ $1395.63 for the cost related to the auto parts damaged as the result of engine oil consumption. The damaged to the following auto parts and services (pump assy, belt, thermostat, gasket, gear assy, plung, tensioner, gasket, inspect block and oil consumption head) was caused as the result of engine malfunctions. Herby the customer is looking for prompted response from Toyota motor sales prior to his/her further complain to California department of consumer affair which may lead to a recall on the Toyota rav model, and causes the Toyota motor sales to pay millions of dollars on penalty, and fees to general public. (attachment 1 copy of the sales receipt and the repair's worksheet).

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Apr 242016

Unintended acceleration after the car hit a pot hole on I-270 southbound. With both brake and emergency brake fully engaged the car still went with a speed faster than most of the cars on the road. I was forced to drive the car in the grass intermediate area for ~10 seconds till the car rolled over and the engine finally came to a stop. This Rav4 was recalled by Toyota and had its "stuck gas pedal" problem fixed a few years ago. Toyota also fixed the excessive engine oil consumption problem last year and I have been pleased with Toyota's service and how the performance of the car in general till this life threatening event occurred yesterday.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Mar 292016

On March 29, 2016, I was driving to work in the far left lane when a gentleman driving a green pickup truck come rushing up beside me. He was waving at me pointing down at the right front side of my Toyota. I thought that maybe I was driving on a flat tire and didn't realize it so I rolled down the window. He yelled as he was still pointing down at the front of my Toyota "your car is on fire". he got ahead of me and I pulled over to the right shoulder of the freeway. He got out of his truck and ran back to my 2007 Toyota Rav4 and said "MA'am, you better get your purse and things and get out, your car is on fire". at that time, smoke was pouring out somewhere up front on the passenger side by the tire. I got my things and we moved to the back of my Toyota when at that time, it went up in flames. I took care of that vehicle because I can not afford another. My last oil change was in November 2015 with only 50035 miles on the vehicle. When it was last inspected, everything was fine. So I am not understanding how this happened. Tires were about a year old as well. Car just don't catch on fire driving down the freeway. On April 4, 2016 a friend and I took a drive to my burnt vehicle and she could not believe that was my Toyota. And I could not believe I had walked away without any injuries. There is no engine, no dashboard, no steering wheel, no front seats, and no back seats. All burned! how could this happen?

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Mar 112016

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle consumed at least four quarts of oil per month. The oil pressure warning indicator constantly illuminated. The contact also received a notification from the manufacturer to have an oil consumption test performed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 124,413.

- Mansfield, MD, USA

Mar 112016

Burning 1.5-2 quarts of engine oil per week, this has been an ongoing issue for at least 2 years. Oil consumption test was done on the vehicle and it failed. The dealership has failed to fixed the issue.

- Galt, CA, USA

Jan 252015

Oil burning recall. My car Rav4 burns oil at least one quart per 1200 miles. The dealership refused to replace any part due to the 1200 miles test driving. Toyota sent me an enhancement warranty notice about the problem of oil burning. This is unacceptable to me. We paid so much yet what we get is a defect engine in a new Rav4. This should be a recall and Toyota is responsible to fix the rings and other parts that are required to replace in order to stop the problem.

- Alamedaalameda, CA, USA

Dec 272015

2007 Rav4 uses an excessive amount of oil. I recently purchased this vehicle used with approximately 146,000 miles. The vehicle has been driven approximately 4,000 and I have had to add 2 quarts of oil to the engine. I have read numerous complaints online about the same situation and Toyota is doing nothing to fix the problem.

- Oak Park, VA, USA

Jan 152015

While driving the car suddenly loses all electricity, all the lights, every light indicator, the radio are off. The engine stops running and the car stops immediately. This normally happens while driving on city streets but also happened once when the car was parked and the key was out. After I entered and turned the key the car wouldn't start and there was no electricity in the car. No lights, no indicators, etc were on. Took it to the mechanic to take a look but he couldn't find anything. Also took it to Toyota dealership and the technician inspected it and ran a diagnostics test but couldn't find the problem either.

- Washington, DC, USA