2. added oil (14 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (7 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (3 reports)
  5. toyota are rebuilding the engine (1 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 052013

RAV4 2.4L

I have had the RAV4 for 3 plus yrs. After first oil change I noticed it was off the dipstick. Very Concerned!! I kept an eye on it ever since and added a quart every 800-100o miles. I checked out owners manual and it said it was normal to consume some oil. I never owned a recent vehicle that said it was normal to consume oil! (maybe back in the 60's or 70's!)

So here I am pumping oil in this thing. Seems to run fine & no smoke so where is the oil going? I assume at some point something will get fouled up with oil & cost me dearly.

I hear there is a lawsuit against Toyota about this. I don't know what the status of that is. I get dozens of pointless recall letters about things that don't amount to a hill of beans but they won't fix something seriously wrong. I bet resale on this dog is in horrible.

My first & last Toyota. I heard wonderful things about Toyota's, resale, longevity blah blah, blah to me. Back to my Chevy. Driving a 99 with 177,000 and burns one quart between oils changes! (5000mi)

- , Wasilla, AK, USA

Sep 302014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Purchased this 07 Rav 4 vehicle used in 2013 and have had to add oil between oil changes ever since. Took in for excessive oil consumption test and was told that 1 qt. in 1,100 miles was not excessive. I called Toyota and they told me I could do the test again. Really! Do they think it will change. That could be possible because it has been a year and am using more oil between changes. Which I have always done every 3,000 miles even if it calls for 5,000 mile changes. It has gotten to the point that with all the oil I have to add I might as well just change the filter because I'm adding new oil all the time. My conversation with the Rep at Toyota was frustrating to say the least. They stand behind their statement that the type of oil use is "NORMAL". Biggest mistake I made was trading my Nissan Altima for this oil guzzling piece of crap. When I can afford to I will buy another Nissan, only used a pint of oil in 3,000 miles even when the car was at 100,000.

- , Cattaraugus, NY, USA

Jul 162015

Purchased Toyota Rav 2/2015 used. Have had Toyotas in past, including 2004 RAV very good luck. Wanted a reliable safe vehicle. Expensive mistake and continued worry. 1st oil change, down a quart. last oil change pan completely dry and the oil light only flashed hardly noticeable a couple times..thought because it was due for reg oil change. Had them switch to synthetic. Checked it yesterday and there is little coagulated "glumps" still in oil. Guy told me also the oil was very black but no leaking or burning. Have scheduled with my non Toyota experienced mechanic because there is also a popping noise when I make left turns. Now since oil for incident it poops out accelerating from starting and steep hills. I am not a rich women and should not have to pay with either money or my life for Toyota's mistakes, ineptitude or indifference. There should be a class action about this oil consumption issue. Oh yeah...it seems to be unstable sloppy ...not the wind..oh yeah did I mention the coolant bucket is registering low

- , Albion, NY, USA

Jan 032015

RAV4 2.4L 4-cyl

Sad, sad ,very sad.

- , MARKHAM, ON, Canada

Jun 022015

RAV4 Sport V4

I did not realize my car had used up almost all the oil. It was making a really bad noise so I had my husband check. He found out that the car was almost out of oil, no warning only when it started making the noise. I went online to check what was going on with the 2007 Rav4 and found out many people are experiencing the same problem as me. I have to be checking the oil every week and put oil as needed. I have no warranty on my car anymore and I hear that Toyota does not want to take responsibility for this problem.

- , Inglewood, CA, USA

Jun 112015

This is regarding Toyota's Excessive Oil Consumption notice (Bulletin # ZE7).

If you received a notice from Toyota and are planning on bringing your vehicle in for the repair, things to be aware of:

We have a 2007 RAV4 that has been burning oil for some time, no drips or smoke coming from the tailpipe, just a loss of oil.

On 3/21/15 we brought the vehicle to Melody Toyota in San Bruno CA for the test to see if it qualified for excessive oil consumption. At this time they said that we needed to have the oil and filter changed, at our expense, to start the process. Once that was done they marked everything and said to bring the vehicle back within 1100 - 1300 miles. Prior to reaching this mileage the engine oil light came on so we brought the vehicle back to Melody Toyota on 5/4/15.At that time Melody stated that something was wrong with the test and they wanted us to perform the test again. After a frustrating discussion Melody agreed that the car had failed the test and we were to bring tha car back to them once the parts become available.

Approximately one month later we brought the car back to Melody to have the work done. We dropped it off on 6/11/15 and they said that it would take approximately one week to do the work, even though the Toyota bulletin states the effort should take two days. Prior to the one week we called Melody and asked about the progress, this is when we started to get answers like "We don't know when the vehicle will be ready" then this turned into "we are waiting on parts to become available". After multiple discussions with Melody and Toyota Corporate we found out that they are still waiting on parts, standard push pins, and have no idea as to when these push pins will become available.

It is almost two months later and we still have not been informed as to when the push pin parts will be availabe. We cannot get our vehicle back as the original parts are no longer usable. Talk about feeling helpless and at the mercy of Toyota.

This is a horrible experience and paints a very bad image for Toyota.

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Nov 252014

RAV4 4 cyl

Last June or so (don't have exact dates), I took my car in to the dealer because the mileage had dropped precipitously. I used to get in the 26-27 MPG range but it had gone down to 19 MPG. It's a low mileage car-- I walk to work, drive it under 7K a year for the most part. The dealer couldn't find a problem. I might have taken it in one more time in the fall, but the first time the oil light came on was in November 2014. I'd gone under 3,000 miles. They did an oil change, couldn't find a problem. The light came on again in January-- less than 3K miles. I was told about the excessive oil issue so I scheduled what I thought was an oil consumption test but apparently I didn't say the right words or they weren't doing it yet... it didn't get done.

I took it back when I thought I should and that's when I found out the test wasn't done. So they did phase 1 of the test. I went 75 miles over the 1300 mile limit-- had to repeat the test. Today, I finished the test and my car passed which means Toyota thinks my car is just fine. I burned a QUART of oil in 1180 miles or so. And Toyota has redefined acceptable oil consumption so that it's okay to burn that much oil. I can no longer go 3,500 miles between oil changes because I WILL RUN OUT OF OIL. When I took it for the 1st failed phase 2 test, I'd gone 1380 miles and the oil on the dipstick was well below the LOW line.

My mileage is getting worse as well which is part of the excessive oil consumption problem.

Toyota does not care. They know they have a big problem and they are just sticking it to their customers. I should say former customers. I will never buy another Toyota again.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 012015

When a company such as Toyota is fully aware of a design defect, and yet, still manufactures their vehicle with the defect, something is very, very wrong. Consumers were not warned. I would have never purchased this Toyota, and will not purchase another one unless this issue is not only fixed, but also paid for in full by Toyota. An engine defect, that now requires constant watch and added oil at my expense, should never be. Engines that consume oil at an abnormal rate are inadequate, dangerous, and defected. The only right solution is for said company, Toyota, to remedy the problem they have known about for years, and yet, continued to sell to uninformed consumers!

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 012014

RAV4 2.4L

I took a long time for Toyota to admit a problem. Given the number of recalls we've had (about 5), definitely not a quality product.

- , Haymarket, VA, USA

Apr 072011

RAV4 4 cyl

I take very good care of my vehicle and get my oil changed in a timely manner. When the oil light first went on, I was told I needed a new engine. Fortunately, I have a friend who is a mechanic. His girlfriend has also has a 2007 RAV 4. He told me not to get the new engine but to check the oil every week and keep adding it as needed.

First, I feel as though the dealership was trying to take advantage of me to the tune of $5,000. Second. I don't feel as though I should have to play mechanic every weekend, by checking my oil and adding it. I bought the vehicle brand new and have been very conscientious about maintenance. Also, my friend's girlfriend received a recall and her engine was replaced for free. I have yet to receive my notice.

I bought a Toyota because of longevity but there have been more recalls and problems than I have ever had with any other vehicle. I seriously doubt I would buy another one.

- , Bensalem, PA, USA

Feb 272015

RAV4 4 cyl

I was worried that the oil level light came on, I am very careful with my car and try to keep up with the oil changes. I had to add a whole quart of oil to it. This was the first time it happened.

- , Richmond, TX, USA

Oct 012013

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

It started using oil a little over ago, going through a quart every 1,000-1,500 miles. While having some taken care of, the service adviser at the local Toyota dealership said she has seen several come in with the same issue. It is a common problem with that particular engine, and that my car needs an engine rebuild to fix it. Which would cost me 5-6 THOUSAND dollars. She advised me I would be better off to just keep adding oil. Now, it's burning through a quart every 600-800 miles and far from cost effective to just keep adding oil. This is my first Toyota and probably my last.

Does anybody know how long it takes to fix it? I'm trying to figure out labor hours so I can estimate my costs.

- , Yoncalla, USA

May 012015

So, after returning yesterday for the results of my oil consumption test. I was told that even though my Rav4 used more than a quart of oil during the 1200 mile test, it was still above the specs that Toyota set for determining "excessive oil consumption." REALLY???

Apparently, your vehicle has to run bone dry during the 1200 test to meet the specs for excessive oil consumption. With all the recalls this poor ol' thing has had, I'm not sure it hasn't spent more time at the dealership than it has in my garage. I'm planning on a new vehicle within a year or two, but you can bet your ass that Toyota has been completely removed from the list of future vehicle purchases.

- , Webb City, MO, USA

Jan 112014

RAV4 4 cyl

My Dad originally bought the 2007 Rav4 brand new from a Toyota dealership in 2006. He never had any problems out of the vehicle before but. Approximately a good year ago that it had started using oil. He discussed trading the vehicle in on something else and I told him not to do that. After all it is a Toyota and it only had 112,000 miles on it. I offered to purchase the vehicle from him since my wife and I were looking for a good working vehicle, so we bought the vehicle.

Not only has it done nothing but use oil, at around 1200 miles its only getting worse. We checked it today and just 2 weeks ago when we had the oil check done which by the way supposedly passed (yeah whatever!) It has already used a quart in a little over 200 miles. I really don't know why the Toyota garage is trying to cover this up. I know that my vehicle was bone dry of oil when I took it in for that oil, because when I got home I checked and you could see where the old oil was at on the dipstick which was almost bone dry and where the new oil was added. According to them my vehicle passed. I guess the only way to fix this is to quit buying Toyota. I have always loved this brand of vehicles

But unless they do the right thing and fix this issue I am going with Honda next time.

- , Nippa, KY, USA

Mar 262015

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

My wife and i own a 2007 toyota rav4 sport 4 cyl. me being a mechanic i have always taken great care of this car and have been very pleased with it. my wife typically drives this car, however i had taken it for a few days and noticed the oil light coming on. being very close to my matn being due i checked the oil and noticed there was no oil on the dipstick. this worries me. this engine has never consumed more than an a quart of oil in a 5k period. now that this has happened i am keeping a close eye and going to try and get this resolved. after looking up the web it seems to be a very common problem this car. hopefully i can get this issue resolved with little to no money out of my pocket due to it being a problem with toyota.

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Well, let's see.....I had a Jeep that I truly loved, but with gas prices going up, I needed something better on gas. So...Toyotas are supposed to be a very reliable vehicle. People have gotten very high mileage on the cars with little maintenance to the car ..right? How VERY WRONG!!!!!

I bought my 2007 Rav4 just over a year ago...used...I have already had front and rear brakes and a muffler and front strut put in...now the EFFING car sucks oil like crazy!!!! I have to check my oil every week to make sure there is enough oil..usually adding 3 quarts of oil before my next oil change. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Webster, NY, USA

Sep 202013

I went to the dealership for my normal oil change in Sept 2013 and was told there was no oil on the dipstick, RAV had 85,000 miles at the time. No lights had come on that alerted me to an issue. They noted it on the records and said they would keep an eye on it. I went for my next oil change Nov 2013 and same issue of no oil on dipstick and again no warning lights. They noted it again on paperwork and said we might need to look into why it is using oil.

We made a phone call to a friend who is a Toyota mechanic and was told there was a service bulletin issued to the dealerships about oil consumption issues. Dealership did not say anything about this to me either time. We have watched the oil ever since and have to add oil between changes. In January 2015 we received warranty enhancement notification about oil consumption issue. In February we had oil consumption test performed and was told the RAV was within normal limits of oil usage. I called Toyota customer service and logged a case. They told me to go back to dealership between 1100-1300 miles and have oil level checked again. It was 1500 miles later before I could get back in to dealership. They noted the RAV had used 1 quart of oil in 1500 miles. I am being told that is normal usage and at this time my vehicle will not be included in the "fix". The RAV only has 120,000 miles on it. I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 234,000 miles on it that doesn't use any oil. My RAV has an issue with oil consumption and the amount of oil it is using is not normal.

We have been long time Toyota owners but after this I think my Toyota loyalty days are done. I will not purchase another one ever! I am disappointed with how they are handling this not only for myself but many others. It is time for the car manufacturers to take responsibility for bad product.

- , Lenoir City, TN, USA

Nov 152013

RAV4 2.4L

Toyota has issued a recall for the oil consumption. Take to your dealer to start the oil consumption test. Mine is burning 3.5 qts per 5k miles. I think you need to lose 1 qt with in 1100 to 1300 miles.

- , Lake City, FL, USA

Nov 012007

RAV4 4 cyl

I have questioned Toyota (Fannin, Ashland KY) since I bought the car (new) and they said it was normal which I knew it was not !!!

I have to put 1/2 quart in each Saturday !!!

Other than that I love the car.

- , Grayson, KY, USA

Apr 302013

I'm experiencing Excessive Engine Oil consumption on my 2007 Toyota Rav4. This started right after the warranty period and I understand now that this is an issue for a lot of Toyota owners. My issue is will Toyota take care of this problem and make things right with the consumer who is out of the warranty period?!

- , Humble, TX, USA