7.3

$2,200.00

2. added oil (4 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (2 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 182014

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl W/Vvt-I

My RAV is now using ----a quart of oil about every 1200 miles ----- Started slowly, about 3-4 years ago, but has gotten much worse - We have faithfully changed the oil every 3000 miles - Shop says I need new rings, at least, to fix the problem - rich.

- , Milton, VT, USA

Jul 012014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

I have owned 4 Toyotas in my life, that's why I bought a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 Sport 2.4 about 1 year ago, may be more, not sure the exact date.

But I check my dip stick and no oil was showing and I just had the oil changed like 2 months before. So I added oil and when it needed another service I told the Toyota dealer it was using oil, they told me that's common in this engine REALLY !!! I had a 1993 2.4 p/u that had over 300,000 miles on it before and only had to do a new head gasket at 250,000 miles and it never!!!!!!! used oil. They said either buy a new engine or trade in my RAV. I told them it's still under 95,000 miles, Toyotas don't do that, they said these do .....that's BS !!!!!

So I figured I would have to live with it until today when I brought it in for its 95,000 service and talked to a service writer. He told me Toyota is suppose to be doing a recall soon on this problem and extend the mileage warranty to 110,000 miles??? We will see. If they don't I'll trade it in and buy another Kia, at least they honor their warranty and service. So in the next 1200 miles I need to check he said, and if so bring it in and they will do that test on it.

- , El Cajon, CA, mexico

Aug 012014

RAV4

Burning oil, having to add 2 quarts at least in between each oil change. Oil consumption seems to be going up.

- , Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Jun 272014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L Dohc 4 cyl

Took a trip of about 2000 miles and as I drove into town the oil light came one. When I left I still had about 2000 miles to go before the next oil change. I was stunned. The oil barely showed on the dipstick. I took it in to a mechanic friend and they changed the oil, the transmission oil and did all of the 60000 mile check up requirements. I again checked the oil and it was down 1 1/2 quarts just a couple weeks after the tuneup work, and now I again had to add oil on about 1200 miles. Not expecting this kind of service from my Rav, I did not keep an accounting. My mechanic said it's cheaper to put a new engine in rather than fix this one. My other option is a new car. Talk about one pissed off old lady! I will not buy another Toyota!

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 012014

RAV4 Sport 2.5L 4 cyl

Called my Toyota dealer about this problem. I have extended warranty. I was told burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles is with in industry standards, even with the oil consumption test the warranty will not cover (normal?) wear. So I questioned that I would burn 5 quarts between changes which I have done at Toyota since I bought the vehicle. So with no extended warranty coverage I am screwed..thanks MR. Toyoda, your company will not own up to inferior product repairs. Just as a side note my 1998 Chevrolet s-10 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine does not burn or leak any oil after 16 years and a 188 thousand miles, even as a quart every 1000 miles is the industry standard..I thought I would never bitch about a Toyota, but it is true faulty cylinder rings,so kiss my ass.

- , Wauconda, IL, USA

Aug 062013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L I4

Have to start checking oil 500 miles after having Toyota changing the oil. Toyota changed the oil with 5-30 and still burns a quart of oil with in 750 to 1000 miles. First Toyota dealership I requested an oil consumption test, they never even performed the test. Second dealer performed test but did not do anything after first step. Will keep trying other dealership for one that takes care of their customers.

I am tired of doing one oil change just to add another of the remaining time of the first.

Car smokes and runs roughly due to the oil consumption issue.

I hope Toyota can step up and fix this issue of bad rings.

- , Gresham, Oregon, USA

Jul 122014

RAV4 Limited V4

I've have heard that the Toyota were good cars, but the 2007 Rav4 has an excessive oil consumption and it makes noise

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 112014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I used to work for Toyota and they build excellent cars. I am now retired and I have owned my 2007 Rav4 since it was new. I am highly disappointed that after 110000 miles I have to add 2.5 qts. of oil to the engine. I feel that I will no longer buy a Rav4 again, ever. I am scheduled for an oil change in four days and am going to let the dealership know what a problem this is.

- , Westfield, IN, USA

Sep 012013

RAV4 2.4L

I have been reporting to dealers about excessive oil consumption since mileage was 50000 kms, in the beginning they didn't record it on papers, just topped up oil, they say it is normal, I have reported to Toyota , waiting for reply, I will not buy a car for $35000 and open hood every 2000 kms, I am not going to buy another Toyota again if they don't fix it.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Sep 032014

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I got the Rav4 with 36,000 miles, couldn't believe how much oil I put in this car! Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems Toyota had a bad run of engines amongst other numerous recalls. I hope they make good on it. With oil at $5 something a quart it becomes an expensive ride.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA

Jan 012011

RAV4 3.2L

Shortly before the warranty was up on my 2007 Rav4 it started using oil. A consumption test was done and was told it was not excessive (around a litre a thousand Km). The car wasn't even paid for yet. Toyota knows there is problem but pretends there isn't. I am still driving this vehicle but it is now up to 2 - 3 litres every thousand. Needless to say I will never buy another Toyota again.

- , Keoma, AB, canada

Jul 162014

RAV4 Not A Trim Level 2.4L

This car has been babied. And should not be burning oil with only 103,000 miles! Obviously this is an on going problem with this motor and Toyota should be liable!

- , Phippsburg, ME - Maine, USA

Dec 192013

RAV4 Limited

MY DAD WENT TO THE PREMIER DEALER OF MORGANTOWN, W.V. HE SEEN THE 2007 RAV4 LIMITED, KNEW OF HIGH MILEAGE AND GOOD LOOKS ON THE OUTSIDE--MY DAD BROUGHT ME INTO THE DEALERSHIP LATER THAT DAY AND SAID THIS WAS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT WHICH I KNEW WITH HIGH MILEGE THERE WAS GOING TO BE PROBLEMS BUT WE BOUGHT THE CAR CAUSE THE DEAL WAS A RIPOFF BUT A FEW DAYS LATER MY OIL LIGHT CAME ON AND WHEN I PULLED OVER--NO OIL.

SO I WAS SCARED TO DEATH AND MANAGED TO GET OIL IN IT AND WENT WELL FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS. LATER, BUT DURING THE WINTERTIME AND WHEN THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE WAS NEEDED--THE OIL WENT OUT VERY FAST. I WAS BUYING OIL ABOUT EVERY 1 OR 2 DAYS. I AM A POOR AVERAGE WORKER MAKING NEXT TO NOTHING BUT WITH THIS PURCHASE, WHICH I THOUGHT WAS GOOD AT FIRST, IS DRAINING MY WALLET VERY FAST BUT I AM STUCK WITH IT.

I EMAILED PREMIER 2 TIMES AND NOTHING WAS SAID. I AM LOOKING INTO THE LEMON LAWS WHICH I THINK THIS CAR SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ON THE LOT. I WILL NEVER TRUST PREMIER OR AT LEAST WITH ME I WILL NEVER BUY A CAR FROM THEM AGAIN. I AM SCARED TO DEATH THAT THIS WINTERTIME I WILL GO BANKRUPT HAVING THIS OIL PROBLEMS. I THINK I WILL TRY TO GO THROUGH THE BBB ON PREMIER.

Update from Jan 21, 2015: it is now 2015 and still stuck with rav with the oil troubles--did discover that you have to use the expensive synthetic oil. My dad took it to a mechanic because me and dad got into a big fight over the rav along the christmas season and he said--the mechanic that there was nothing wrong and all i had to do was to make the engine work harder to burn the crap in it. I seen this exact saying from other complaints but i am still stuck with the rav now has 138,500 miles. If it happens again i will park it on the road and just walk home but strangely in summertime it does not do this just like cold snowy weather when the 4 wheel drive is needed is when it acts up. I was hoping to get another new engine in it but since the mechanic can not find anything wrong--course the weather was warm and it dont act up in warm weather. I am still upset and cause i can not afford to trade it in i guess i will have to buy a pair of good walking shoes in wintertime.

- , Tunnelton, WV, USA

Jun 082014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

I am extremely frustrated that the problem of excessive oil consumption was never mentioned to me by the dealer, or Toyota. This should have definitely been a recall. I had my oil changed every 5000 miles at the dealer. While driving one day I hear a knocking in my engine. When I get it home, I find out that there is no oil in the engine. The low oil indicator light never alerted me that this was a problem. There was no oil on my garage floor, in the engine compartment and no hint of white smoke out of my exhaust. How was I supposed to know that the engine just "used up" the oil completely after 5000 miles. I have never had a car do that before.

When I took it to the dealer, they said that other customers had experienced the same problem, but Toyota instructed them to say that the consumer is responsible for checking the oil levels between services. Well how about Toyota being responsible for at least making sure the oil indicator light works since their engines suck the levels down to zero? What a crock.

NO MORE TOYOTAS FOR ME!

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Jun 032014

RAV4 LS 2.4L

Bought the car used from a Toyota dealer, no mention in the car fax or maintenance records. I use a quart every 1000 miles, have owned Toyota since 1987. I currently have three others in the family including a Corolla I bought new in 1990, never add oil to any of them, that is why I stuck with Toyota. If they want to keep business they should do something, if I want to add oil every month I would buy GM or Ford.

- , Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Mar 012013

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

We bought our 2007 Rav 4 new and have had very few problems with it. About 9 months ago we noticed the oil light was on well before our scheduled oil change. We took it in and the dealership changed the oil for free and advised an oil consumption test which was after 1200 miles. We're told everything was fine.

Next scheduled oil change was for 5000 miles. Noticed that the oil light would flash off and on when turning corners or coming to a stop. Took it in on 11/07/13. Was told that the oil was 2 quarts low. They added oil for free and said we should consider oil changes every 3000 miles. It has now been only 1500 miles and we were down almost 3 quarts. Dealership checked and found that the piston rings and the head gasket are bad and oil is burning inside the engine. It will cost $4400.00 to fix. The car has 102,000 miles and there is no way we will spend that much money on a 7 year old car.

Absolutely do not want another Toyota.

- , Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 172013

RAV4 2.4L

Our 2007 Rav 4 Base 2.4L started using 1 quart of oil every 800 miles at about 90,000 miles. I currently use 5W-20 regular oil and consumption hasn't changed. Has anyone had success with less oil consumption using a different viscosity oil? Car currently has 103,000 miles and we need it to go another 1-1/2 years or 25,000 miles. That is a lot of oil in between 5,000 mile changes! We have had 4 Toyotas including a 2004 Camry with 182,000 miles that never used any oil. I am also concerned about our new 2013 Camry with 10,000 miles and a similar engine. I don't understand why Toyota says this is normal and won't address it. I just took the Rav in this week for a rear suspension issue and computer update due to a recall. This is NOT the same Toyota that built their company based on the reliability of their vehicles. Toyota, if anyone reads this, address this Problem NOW!!!

- , Lake St Louis, MO, USA

Oct 152011

RAV4 2.4L

I always check oil each week as a habit and this is how I discovered the excessive oil usage problem in this vehicle. If I didn't check the oil weekly I am certain there would have been serious engine damage. I have been told by Toyota that this excessive consumption of oil is normal for this model. Was told the same thing about the constant clunk and click while turning the steering wheel.

I have accepted the fact that Toyota quality has been declining over the past few years and I will look to purchase a different brand vehicle next purchase. Since they will not take responsibility for these defects and will not do a recall I will no longer be a customer.

Very disapointed!

- , Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Feb 062014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

This is my 3rd and last Toyota. Burning oil @ 110,000 miles is the last thing I expected from a Toyota. The cars just are not as reliable as what they once were. I have had other issues with this car, but this is it. I'm trading it in on another vehicle and it definately will not be a Toyota. ... it breaks my heart though - I really loved this car.

Step to the plate Toyota and do the right thing for all the RAV owners who have vehicles burning oil!!!

- , Morrow, OH, USA

Nov 092013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L V4

Recently I found out that my car was pretty much out of oil before 5K oil change. Fortunately, I caught it during the routine oil check at the gas station. The dealership tried to check with the extended warranty company if there is any solution - they said - no, as oil consumption is not covered. After last oil changed I drove 500 mi and oil stick is dry again. I had to add a qt. of oil to raise the level to normal. The only solution was offered by dealership - check oil level every 600-1000 mi and add oil. So, now I have to go thru additional 4-5 qt. of oil before the scheduled oil change.

Update from Mar 7, 2014: After new check - one quart lasts around 1000 hi, but manufacturer said it's normal for the milage and standard for this type of engines

- , Poughkeepsie, NY, USA