7.4

$2,109.00

2. added oil (19 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (7 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (2 reports)
  6. toyota are rebuilding the engine (1 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 022015

RAV4

Since 2015 I was informed by the Elgin Toyota dealership during my 5000 mile oil change on my Toyota 2007 RAV4 that my car had virtually no oil. The dealership replenished it and 1000 miles later the oil light comes on and no oil was registered on the dipstick. Sept 2015 I was finally told about an oil consumption test which they said I passed yet oil would disappear now within 800 miles. They agreed to do another oil consumption test and during that time the oil light came on so I drove to the nearest dealership which was in St. Charles, IL. They told me there was no oil in the car and the Elgin dealership should had never passed my car. I had to do a 3rd oil consumption test because I was a few miles over the required mileage for the 2nd test to be valid. In February 2016 I failed the oil consumption test and they put me on the wait list and told me they're out of parts to fix the car. Despite repeated phone calls to service manager Sean and open case at the recommended toll free # I have not been taking care of. The car can not drive even 400 miles without me refilling the oil. They basically told me there is nothing they can do and the district manager did not approve a rental car. I am a professional businesswoman and have to go under my vehicle every 2 days! I have to purchased a 5 quart jug of oil every two weeks and was told to keep my receipts because they will reimburse me, which at this point I don't believe them because they don't appeared to have any attention on fixing the problem. I'm worried my only means of transportation will blow its engine which is what Toyota probably wants to happen so they can blame me and that's one less person they have to deal with. I paid over 20K for this car.

- , South Elgin, IL, USA

Jan 252016

RAV4

My check engine light would pop on only a few weeks after an oil change. I brought the car in for an oil consumption test. Brought the car back in 1200 miles after the oil change, and they said the car failed the oil consumption test, and that I would be notified when they have a fix. Four months later I am still waiting. Had another oil change near the end of March, I inquired on what the status was for this fix, they told me that since this is a large national recall that I was on the bottom of a repair list, and that there is only one plant in the United States making parts for this recall. They then told me that I have been moved up to number 5 on their wait list. Toward the end of April, my check engine light went on again. I first checked the dipstick, and there was NO OIL on it. I refilled the oil myself and it took a full 5 quarts. No there is oil on the dipstick, still have yet to hear a thing from Toyota. Why are they making me wait? Are they waiting until the warranty on my car expires so I have to pay for the repair? IN my opinion, to make me have to wait this long is not right. Toyota is a billion dollar industry and should have the parts ready especially for a recall of this magnitude.

- , Glendale, WI, USA

Sep 152015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

Noticed oil way down after traveling from Washington St. to Utah. Had oil changed before trip and checked before departing. Bought more oil for the trip home. We went through about 4qrts of oil on this trip. Took car to Toyota dealer and they did a oil usage test. Test results were not in our favor and they declined to fix the problem. Where do we go from here? After reading some of the other complaints I'm not sure if I trust the dealer. Wondering if we get a lawyer involved they will not fix problem and we will have to settle with a small payout.

- , Washougal, WA, USA

Feb 022015

RAV4 4WD 4

My 2007 Rav 4 has been consuming Oil for about ONE and A HALF YEARS!!! Crazy it just eats up Oil. I see NO leaks, no smoke exhaust, it just burns and goes somewhere? Of course this is costing me money! Then I received a notification from Toyota, pertaining to oil consumption, and said "heck yeah", my car falls under that, and is experiencing all the symptoms the report stated.

So my vehicle took the test, knowing that they will say "hey ma'am", your vehicle is burning way too much oil, were sorry and we will fix it... HA HA HA!!! No such luck. I have to check my oil every other DAY, and I add a quart about every 3 days... what the hell and WHY!!!

Please people let's get Toyota to say they screwed up, and will fix OR reimburse us for the work and money we have put out to maintain THEIR problem. Enough is Enough!!! Just yesterday my car died out on me. I filled oil up on Friday, drove for "maybe" 200 miles, and WTF, engine dies out 3 days later!!!! NO Oil... I don't get it. Very sad Toyota customer... I need to buy another car, and you guessed it, NOT a Toyota!!!!

- , Kealakekua, HI, USA

May 052016

RAV4 4 cyl

Took Rav 4 for oil change and oil check recall. It has been low for oil changes since 65,000 miles usually no problem because oil is changed every 3500 miles. After leaving local shop I decided to check oil. It was a quarter inch overfull. I went back to dealer on 5/4/2016. I spoke with a service advisor and showed him the dipstick. He indicated that this was acceptable practice. I indicated I wanted the oil exactly on the dot.

After messing around and I believe service advisor and mechanic decided to just seal it and today 5/5/2016 I figured that since they were not very honest I removed the sealed stickers and of course oil was still over full. This must be a stupid game that they play on people.

I called the 800 Toyota number and went through the recall department. The only advise they could give was to wait another 5,000 miles then get an invoice from a reputable shop and request another dealer to do the test. The best advice I can give is stay away from dealers in my area.

- , Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 012015

RAV4 2.5L

Toyota is a well known global auto company with high standard and high performance autos. It’s totally unacceptable for an engine to consume oil after 60,000 miles. The low mileage engine malfunction is totally due to bad quality manufacturing practices, low standards of quality and performance which may cause thousands of dollars in losses and penalty for the Toyota.

Motor Sales Company. Only in California over 40 customers reported complains to California Bureau of Automotive Repair a Department of Consumer Affair over the engine oil consumption of Toyota RAV4.

Hereby the vehicle owner demand the Toyota Motor Sales to issue a full refund in amount of $ 1395.63 for the cost related to the auto parts damaged as the result of engine oil consumption. The damaged to the following auto parts and services (pump assy, belt, thermostat,gasket, gear assy, plung, tensioner, gasket, inspect block and oil consumption head) was caused as the result of engine malfunctions.

- , Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Mar 022016

RAV4 LX 2.8L V4

I'v got burning motor oil and must add oil every week or two.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 022016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

My low oil light started flickering in between oil changes. I took it in for an oil change and the service person (not Toyota) said my car was over a quart low on oil and it hadn't even been 5,000 miles since my last oil change. We use synthetic oil so we usually can go at least that long plus our car has the reminder light that kicks on. I had revived the sticker about extending the warranty for excessive warranty coverage so I made an appointment at the dealership. I advised them that it used well over a quart of oil in under 5,000 miles and the Toyota tech said "oh, at 95,000 miles, that's totally normal". They are doing the oil consumption test but it's not going to use a quart in 1200 miles so I'm sure it will pass. I'm just really mad that the dealership is telling me it's normal for a car to use a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. We also own an 2004 Carmy with 140,000 Mike's and I can tell you right now that it doesn't use one bit of oil in between oil changes.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA

Feb 012015

RAV4

I noticed the oil consumption started becoming excessive between oil changes. When I bought the car brand new I could make 5000 miles between oil changes with no problem. Last year that changed and I took my truck into Westchester Toyota in Yonkers, NY for an oil consumption test, and guess what, it failed.

So now more than a year later I am waiting for Toyota to fix my engine and provide a vehicle for use while it takes two to three days to fix. I was supposedly on a waiting list and the parts were in house as I was notified in writing that the dealer had the parts. A year on and I cannot make 3000 miles without putting in an additional 5 quarts of oil for which I am not reimbursed.

The last time I spoke with Westchester Toyota, approximately six months ago, I was told to wait until called but it just seems like I should wait until my car engine dies since they have no real plan in place to rectify the shoddy vehicle. Years ago I stopped going to the dealer for any work at all, only the recalls, since they have no clue how to deal with people in a professional manner.

Last Toyota I buy and will never recommend this car manufacturer.

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 202016

RAV4 V4

I'm the original owner and had regular maintenance done on the vehicle. No visible oil leak and the oil did not even register on the dip stick!

Added 3 quarts and drove 400 miles and now it is below the low mark and I could smell the oil burning this time.

Added more oil with a heavier weight.

I researched the internet and have found that this is COMMON with the RAV4 and that Toyota denies ever hearing about these complaints.

So, here I am, complaining! It should be fixable but from what I have read, it is not. I will contact the dealership next.

- , Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

The Toyota dealership, in Chapmanville, WV , have completed 2 oil consumption tests, and of course it passed..

I have logged and written down, the dates, mileage, and how much oil I have added, but, they don't want to see my log...I have no complaint against the employees at this dealership, they have and always have treated me with the utmost respect, my gripe is with Toyota.......Be AWARE........WE HAVE PURCHASED OR I MYSELF 3 TOYOTA'S,,,,,,WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE....THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS, MY RAV HAD ONLY AROUND 65K MILES WHEN IT WAS DISCOVERED. THEY NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, NOT THE CONSUMERS........

- , Man, WV, USA

Mar 242015

RAV4 Utility 4.6L/V8

my car is definitely consuming oil and Toyota has sent me a letter stating that my engine is one that follows the criteria of excessive oil consumption!!!! I took it to a Toyota dearlership in myrtle beach,sc.. while there, I had an oil change done. the service advisor came over to me an said my car had a valve cover leak and if I didn't have that fixed then, they couldn't do the test. I have a new house and the car has been in the garage and I have never seen a drop of oil ever! so, I said o.k. well, after paying the bill and leaving I felt the charge for the replacement of the valve cover gasket was a bit pricey.i called other dearlerships and found out I was overcharged by $60.00 . next, I went out and lifted the hood of my car, they had put tape around the dipstick. I took it off and I checked the dipstick myself . now that car hadn't moved since being at the dealership,to my surprise the oil level was 2 fingers above the full line, then I noticed my bug shield was broken as well. what do you think of all of this?????yes, I did call the dealership back and addressed all that I have stated. the service manager said bring it back and they will take some oil out and fix the bug shield, also look into the overcharge. now, I am trusting that they are being honest but their integrity with me is certainly questionable to say the least. yes, they fixed the bug shield ,but I had no way of knowing if they indeed took out some oil because now they put a speed tie on the dipstick. the service manager did give us a check for $60.00 and said the tech put in the wrong codes, really? oh, and of course my car passed the oil consumption test. I felt that Toyota is skipping over their responsibility to fix this engine. I was so angry I called Toyota corporation and filed a formal complaint about this dealership. now, my question to all rav4 owners, is, how much can we trust the integrity of dealerships to be honest with this issue????? I have taken my car to a car repair shop in the area and I have stated that this engine qualifies for excessive oil consumption. I use synthetic oil and the last 2 times I had the oil changed the tech came out and showed me that the car used up the oil and the oil was just showing at the bottom of the dipstick which the mechanic said was close to 2 quarts of oil burned. oh, yes after my formal complaint to corporate the dealership representative called me back and said bring back my car and I could watch them put in the oil!!!!! really? I asked her what the proper amount of oil would be you know the protocol in an oil consumption test? she said she didn't know, so what is going on??? now there is another recall on the seatbelts!!! it is in my opinion that the national transportation and safety board needs to force Toyota's hand and fix the vehicles that Toyota themselves have so stated in their letters to vehicle owners that their engines qualify for excessive oil consumption!!!!!

- , Conway, SC, USA

Feb 092016

RAV4

These is the second time Toyota is doing the oil consumption test. The first time was in October where they said it passed but I'm back again in February at 97++ miles and I wasn't due for another oil change Gil April or 99++ miles. I've had all my maintenance done at the dealer to avoid them saying that they have no proof that I've been taking care of my car as I should. There's no oil in my car and Toyota is saying it's my responsibility to put oil in the car between maintenance and oil changes. That makes no sense. The vehicle is burning oil! They treat you real nice until you have a problem with your vehicle. Then you're on your own. I don't understand why there isn't a class action lawsuit against Toyota for this problem? There seems to be so many others going through the same runaround. If there is a class action lawsuit out there I'd like to know because I'm in! This is my first and last Toyota.

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Dec 302015

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

I HAVE OWNED, AND STILL OWN TOYOTA VEHICLES 6 TO BE EXACT. LATELY WITH ALL THE RECALLS AND PROBLEMS ON WARRANTY, NOT TO MENTION THAT TOYOTA DEALERS IN PUERTO RICO SUCK BADLY, I HAVE DECIDED TO LOOK AT OTHER BRANDS. MY RAV 4 CONSUMES OIL BADLY. I HAVE RECEIVED MANY LETTERS ON RECALLS ON MY TACOMA. TOOK IT TO DEALER AND TOOK OVER 4 HOURS JUST TO CUT ACCELERATION PEDAL. HELL I COULD HAVE DONE THAT. I WON'T BUY A TOYOTA VEHICLE AGAIN, WON'T RECOMMEND TO ANYONE EITHER, AND I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND HAVE BECOME OF POOR QUALITY OVER THE YEARS.

- , Humacao, Puerto Rico

Jan 022014

RAV4 4 cyl

Purchased this car from the original owner toward the end of 2013. It was well maintained by the previous owner with regular service checks and had approx 97,000 miles. Excessive oil consumption starts in early 2014. My mechanic couldn't find the issue. He tried small repairs, sealants, frequent oil changes to no avail. Gas mileage worsens over the next year. During some oil checks little or no oil observed on the dipstick at all but mostly really low levels.

July 31 2015 call Toyota dealership and ask about the problem. They don't acknowledge or provide any additional information about oil consumption issues but schedule an oil consumption test. 8-19-15 the engine fails on a major highway. Rapid loss of acceleration, engine lights come on, engine smoking and emitting burning chemicals smells. Mechanic attempts repairs but ultimately needs to replace the engine.

Fast forward to the beginning of December 2015 and for the first time Toyota sends a letter to my home acknowledging the oil consumption issues which can lead to engine failure. I call the Toyota company the next day. They inform me I can request reimbursement for the engine replacement and tell me to submit proof of repair and payment, a letter from mechanic outlining cause and remedy of the repair, and proof of ownership.

I send these documents in and in the beginning of January of 2016 they send me a letter stating my request has been denied. I call for clarification and they inform me that I cannot legally receive reimbursement for the engine repair because a certified Toyota repair place did not complete the repairs which is after their May of 2015 deadline for non Toyota mechanics to do so. I inform them that I was never mailed this information or provided with any instructions on where to have repairs done and prior to December of 2015 Toyota had not even sent me any acknowledgment of oil consumption as an issue.

They inform me they did send the info and there must be a problem with my mail. I check with the original owner who also had not received this notice. I asked Toyota how I could've known that all the repairs needed done by one of their repair shops if no one had informed me and they stuck with the story that they sent me this information. I asked them for proof that they sent me this information and they have now deflected the blame to me for not following through with the oil consumption test on July 31st. They state that the Toyota Dealership scheduling an oil consumption test qualifies as informing me that oil consumption was a problem that only Toyota could repair even though at this time (7-31-15) the staff did not acknowledge this was an issue for other Toyota Rav4 owners or offering any advice or cautioning me to not get work done outside of their dealership/repair shop when I specifically asked them those questions during my call. Then of course Toyota tells me they can't verify what the dealership told me.

They also tell me they may or may not be able to provide proof that they mailed me a letter on 1-29-15 called an interim notice that "allegedly" informed me of the reimbursement process, that excessive oil consumption was an issue with my Rav4, and they verify that they have the correct address for my home. As it stands they have informed me that my reimbursement request is denied and they consider the matter closed.

I just wanted to post this as a heads up to others about Toyota's less than exemplary notification process, customer service and information sharing, and hands off approach to dealing with long time customers. I will be pursuing whatever additional avenues I can moving forward to seek reimbursement from them despite their statement that the matter is closed.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 012015

RAV4 Sport 3.2L

I am experiencing the same problem w/ oil consumption. Prior to that, I didn't have any problems. It's been a year dealing with this. My oil light doesn't come on, and about 6 weeks after getting an oil change my car died on the FREEWAY, and the engine light started flashing. The highway patrol checked my oil and said it was bone dry! I recently had the consumption test, which it failed.

Toyota informed they'll fix it for free, but they need a part that has been back ordered, and other people with the same issue have been waiting for over six months for the same part. I was directed to top off the oil weekly, because the consumption is so bad. I did complain to corporate, and they're involved...however, they've pretty much told me the same thing.

It's so frustrating, and I'm looking into buying a new car. I was very loyal to the Toyota brand, and am completely appalled at how they've handled this. It's clearly unsafe to operate these vehicles in this poor, hazardous condition.

- , Altadena, CA, USA

Mar 032015

RAV4

Engine oil light went on after 8 years, still have no clue how it happened. It's too expensive to fix it since the car is already out of warranty. I can only check oil level frequently and add oil as needed. The situation is getting worse and worse. Now I have to add 2 quarts every 3000 miles.

- , San Diego, USA

Dec 242015

RAV4 RAV4 2.4L Dohc

Our 2007 Toyota RAV4 4-cyl (w/120 k miles & maintained regularly) needed a qt+ of oil added between the 3k mile normal changes. Toyota sent us a "recall" (TSB) letter so we took it in & paid the required $30 to change the oil & "seal" our engine. Returned after 1,200 (but not more than 1,300) miles. We qualified for the "oil consumption repair" but they informed us that on average owners are responsible for $1,000-$1,200 in "additional required" costs that aren't covered by Toyota during the recall/warranty work. They stated that getting our engine "fixed" was such a bargain that we would be stupid not to take advantage of the repair option & shouldn't complain about the $1,000+ in costs we have to pay out of pocket. Does this seam reasonable to others who are dealing w/this ? We've have a good relationship w/our dealer to date, but this seems odd to admit to a factory design problem and then require $1k or more to have the repair work completed ? It's also a situation that allows Toyota to remain vague about what they are actually doing to "repair" our Rav & what $ amount we will have to pay out of pocket since "they won't know specifics until they open our engine up & evaluate the required work." The Toyota factory statement we read in the TSB said that "Toyota would replace the Pistons," but the service manager stated that "they would replace the rings (from a $700 ring/gasket kit we have to pay for) and if necessary they might replace 1 or more pistons." That sounds like they are covering the labor for R & R, and we are covering the cost of most/all parts that created the problem in the first place....

- , Nevada City, CA, USA

Dec 172015

RAV4

I've got a similar experience as many others. The last time I had an oil change (around 95000 miles) the tech told me the oil was low. That was a surprise since the warning light had not come on. 6 weeks later I noticed the warning light flashed VERY briefly then turned off again. I checked the oil and sure enough, it was nearly empty. This was never an issue before. I won't bother bringing it to the dealer where I purchased it as I have had nothing but problems with them. When you add this problem to having more recalls than I can recall, this will be the last Toyota I purchase.

Update from May 1, 2016: So I brought my Rav4 in for the oil consumption test and it failed. Toyota told me they have to order the parts and would call me in April. It's now May 1 and I still haven't heard from them. I have to add about a quart of oil every 10 days to keep it running. Since Toyota admits it's their mistake, shouldn't they also reimburse me for the oil I have to purchase? I will update this complaint again whenever I hear from them.

Update from Jun 29, 2016: So I'm still waiting. I emailed the corporate office and they called me and said they are still waiting for parts. I said I shouldn't have to pay for the oil I'm buying to keep it running. They told me to save the receipts and I would be reimbursed once the problem is resolved. So start saving your receipts! Again I will update this complaint if I ever hear back from them.

- , Washington Twp, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

RAV4 LX

I’ve been adding one quart of oil at around 1,500 miles for a few years now. Toyota said it was normal. I also had an issue where my check engine light was coming on and when Toyota did the diagnostic test, it came up as the O2 Sensor. $324.00 Plus the $99.00 spend for the diagnostic test.

I read on multiple sites that oil consumption can cause your O2 sensor to go bad and affect the catalytic converter. I will mention this when I bring my car back to determine whether or not my car passed or failed the consumption test. I will be surprised if it passes because now I am putting in two quarts before my 3,000 mile oil change at 125,000 miles.

Wish me luck.