7.5

$2,109.00

2. added oil (19 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (9 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (3 reports)
  6. toyota are rebuilding the engine (2 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 072015

RAV4

Toyota did one oil consumption test and stated that it used a normal amount of oil after 1000 miles. It seems that every other time I take my Rav to be serviced, it has used too much oil or I have to get more oil within 1500 to 2000 miles. Very concerned that this will cause the engine to have a problem.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 012016

RAV4

2007 rav4, failed excessive oil consumption test. waiting for parts for the engine rebuild.

- , La Costa, CA, USA

Apr 252016

RAV4 Limited I4

Purchased my Rav4 used from Toyota/Scion of Grand Rapids around January/February of 2016. It had just a smidge over 77,000 miles on it. My first oil change was early due to low oil light coming on. I took it into a private owned shop where it was discovered there was hardly any oil in it at all. The mechanic completed the oil change and suggested i contact the dealership, Once I got home, I did just that. They had me bring it in two days later to check, and started my Oil Consumption test. I brought in my vehicle at 81,711 miles to complete the test. The techs checked it out and came up to me in a rushed manner and flashed a piece of paper at me showing they completed it and that it passed the test and therefore, would not perform the rebuild. Additionally, they told me that it is normal for vehicles to consume oil. Although I thought it was a bit excessive, getting a low oil light halfway in between oil changes and all, I accepted this news thinking maybe it was just a fluke and went on my way. A couple more thousand miles later, i decided to check my oil again on a whim. Low and behold, there was practically nothing on the dipstick, although my light had not turned on. After adding a quart of oil, I contacted the dealership again and they had me come in. I asked about having another test done, to which they replied, "Toyota only allows 2 free tests (per year?)" . So instead of starting another test, i was told to check my oil every thousand miles and make note of how much is on the dipstick. And if my light came on again, or the level dropped significantly, to contact them as soon as possible. Their goal was to "make it fail" so that they would perform the rebuild for me. So they finished the oil change and I went on my way. At the 1,000 mile mark(85,109), I checked the dipstick. To my surprise, it was already down to about 3/4. I had my Father, who is a Master ASE at another shop, double check to make sure i was reading it correctly. Yep, 3/4. I thought this alone was pretty excessive, but since i still had a "readable" amount on the tick, i made note of the level and went about my business. On August 31st, 2016, at the 2,000 mile mark(86,109) I checked again. This time there was hardly anything on the dipstick itself. Just some residual oil left from pulling out/inserting the stick. You could not read the level properly. I even took a quick video to show how little was on it. Although my light had not turned on yet, I contacted the dealership and left a message. The tech called me back and asked some questions, to which i replied with the information above. "3/4 isn't enough, we're trying for 1 quart being consumed within the first 1,000 miles." When I questioned him about the 2,000 mile reading, he said it was "normal" and gave me some garbage about oil use and thinning out, etc. Ok, I get that i suppose. But there is definitely something wrong! I should NOT have next to no oil after 2,000 miles! We ended the conversation with him telling me to put in 2 more quarts of oil and to keep checking every 1,000 miles and to keep in touch with him. It seems to me that there is definitely an issue, and the dealership is not acknowledging it. All the while, i'm left to continue "checking in" while still using my vehicle, wasting money on additional oil, and possibly causing further damage.

- , Rockford, MI, USA

Jul 162016

RAV4

Excessive oil consumption which dealer states is normal at a rate of 1 qt per 1000 miles. At this rate if I followed oil change interval, I would be out of oil by the next oil change. I had the test performed at a Toyota dealership and I do not agree with the findings and requested a 2nd test and I was advised that I would have to wait 6 months before test was performed again. My livelihood depends on my vehicle and at this stage, I am skeptical how far I can drive without something happening. HELP!!

- , Garfield, NJ, USA

Jan 022016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Engine has excessive oil consumption. Initially, dealer tried to brush off the complaint and told me the diagnostics would cost over a hundred dollars just to see if there was a problem. Shortly afterward, I received a "warranty extension" notification from Toyota asking me to come in for an "excessive oil consumption" test.

(the dealer didn't know about this in advance? Really? HMMMMM...)I did so: they topped off the engine oil (My dipstick said they WAAAYYYY overfilled the engine) and had me come back in 1200 miles for a recheck. Of course, there was no problem identified. I am now adding a quart every 700 to 1000 miles. It's really sad, because I otherwise love the car. Sadly, the dealer has recently transitioned from good-customer-service to - well, let's be kind and say they're focused on maximizing income and minimizing expense (such as warranty repairs).

- , Forestville, WI, USA

May 192016

RAV4

I have been having excessive oil consumption since 2008. I have noticed that my car has been needing more oil much sooner than each time before. It has been very very expensive for me to have to buy oil over and over again without even needing to take it in for an oil change. I recently decided to change from regular oil to synthetic because I thought that the oil would last longer, oh boy was I wrong. The only difference is having to spend even ,more money than before. The oil consumption is horrible.

I had to take my car in to Pep boys because the check engine light went on and started to lose power. They told me it was a misfire from coil number 3. They changed spark plugs, gasket and coil. This happened in November of 2015, and again in March 2016. I took it again and thank goodness it was under warranty and they fixed it for free. Now it is June 27th and again the check engine went on for the 3rd time since last year, and I am hoping that when I call Pepboys they tell me that it is still under warranty.

I took my car to a Toyota dealership in May to have a consumption test done, and it failed the test miserably. A month and a week has gone by, and still have not heard from the dealership. Evrytime I call they tell me that they are still waiting for the parts. I am so desperate because my car has been giving so much problems. and a woman I have felt so helpless and hopeless. I cant wait to see if the problem is finally fixed. Toyota has to take responsibility for the mental stress and frustration this situation is causing on my well being.

I hate Toyota, and would never buy another car from them.

- , Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 012007

RAV4 4 cylinder

The 2007 Toyota Rav 4 uses more oil than any car that I have owned in over 50 years. I have to add at least 5 quarts of oil between each oil change. I had one excessive oil usage test done by Toyota which they stated it didn't use the required oil to be declared for excessive oil usage. They refused to allow me to observe the measurement during the test. I tested the oil consumption before I presented the car for the official test within the required test mileage. For my test, the oil started at the completely full oil line on the dipstick when I reached the 1500 miles the oil didn't even show up on the dipstick, but when Toyota did their test they stated the oil registered way above what is required to be considered excessive oil usage. I requested before the Toyota test started that I was to observe the placing of the tape on car, so I made sure they didn't add oil above the full level and to observe the end product but they refused to allow me to do this. They made the excuse the tech forgot to notify me before he put the tape on the car and when I brought it back to check the oil consumption.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 282016

RAV4 Sport 4

I've been having issues with the oil light turning on and off for a couple of years. I asked my mechanic and he said that it wasn't leaking oil. The light would turn on and off before the recommended 3k oil change. I noticed it more after using synthetic oil. I have taken the car to the dealership and they said they were going to do an oil consumption test and I have to bring it back after 1200 miles. The guy at the Koons Toyota dealership in Arlington,VA told me that I would have to pay for the oil change. I was told that this was a 4k problem to fix and that they weren't going to do anything until the test is completed. This is my first Toyota, I've always owned Hondas and I regret my decision to switch everyday. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Sep 022015

RAV4

Since 2015 I was informed by the Elgin Toyota dealership during my 5000 mile oil change on my Toyota 2007 RAV4 that my car had virtually no oil. The dealership replenished it and 1000 miles later the oil light comes on and no oil was registered on the dipstick. Sept 2015 I was finally told about an oil consumption test which they said I passed yet oil would disappear now within 800 miles. They agreed to do another oil consumption test and during that time the oil light came on so I drove to the nearest dealership which was in St. Charles, IL. They told me there was no oil in the car and the Elgin dealership should had never passed my car. I had to do a 3rd oil consumption test because I was a few miles over the required mileage for the 2nd test to be valid. In February 2016 I failed the oil consumption test and they put me on the wait list and told me they're out of parts to fix the car. Despite repeated phone calls to service manager Sean and open case at the recommended toll free # I have not been taking care of. The car can not drive even 400 miles without me refilling the oil. They basically told me there is nothing they can do and the district manager did not approve a rental car. I am a professional businesswoman and have to go under my vehicle every 2 days! I have to purchased a 5 quart jug of oil every two weeks and was told to keep my receipts because they will reimburse me, which at this point I don't believe them because they don't appeared to have any attention on fixing the problem. I'm worried my only means of transportation will blow its engine which is what Toyota probably wants to happen so they can blame me and that's one less person they have to deal with. I paid over 20K for this car.

- , South Elgin, IL, USA

Jan 252016

RAV4

My check engine light would pop on only a few weeks after an oil change. I brought the car in for an oil consumption test. Brought the car back in 1200 miles after the oil change, and they said the car failed the oil consumption test, and that I would be notified when they have a fix. Four months later I am still waiting. Had another oil change near the end of March, I inquired on what the status was for this fix, they told me that since this is a large national recall that I was on the bottom of a repair list, and that there is only one plant in the United States making parts for this recall. They then told me that I have been moved up to number 5 on their wait list. Toward the end of April, my check engine light went on again. I first checked the dipstick, and there was NO OIL on it. I refilled the oil myself and it took a full 5 quarts. No there is oil on the dipstick, still have yet to hear a thing from Toyota. Why are they making me wait? Are they waiting until the warranty on my car expires so I have to pay for the repair? IN my opinion, to make me have to wait this long is not right. Toyota is a billion dollar industry and should have the parts ready especially for a recall of this magnitude.

- , Glendale, WI, USA

Sep 152015

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

Noticed oil way down after traveling from Washington St. to Utah. Had oil changed before trip and checked before departing. Bought more oil for the trip home. We went through about 4qrts of oil on this trip. Took car to Toyota dealer and they did a oil usage test. Test results were not in our favor and they declined to fix the problem. Where do we go from here? After reading some of the other complaints I'm not sure if I trust the dealer. Wondering if we get a lawyer involved they will not fix problem and we will have to settle with a small payout.

- , Washougal, WA, USA

Feb 022015

RAV4 4WD 4

My 2007 Rav 4 has been consuming Oil for about ONE and A HALF YEARS!!! Crazy it just eats up Oil. I see NO leaks, no smoke exhaust, it just burns and goes somewhere? Of course this is costing me money! Then I received a notification from Toyota, pertaining to oil consumption, and said "heck yeah", my car falls under that, and is experiencing all the symptoms the report stated.

So my vehicle took the test, knowing that they will say "hey ma'am", your vehicle is burning way too much oil, were sorry and we will fix it... HA HA HA!!! No such luck. I have to check my oil every other DAY, and I add a quart about every 3 days... what the hell and WHY!!!

Please people let's get Toyota to say they screwed up, and will fix OR reimburse us for the work and money we have put out to maintain THEIR problem. Enough is Enough!!! Just yesterday my car died out on me. I filled oil up on Friday, drove for "maybe" 200 miles, and WTF, engine dies out 3 days later!!!! NO Oil... I don't get it. Very sad Toyota customer... I need to buy another car, and you guessed it, NOT a Toyota!!!!

- , Kealakekua, HI, USA

May 052016

RAV4 4 cyl

Took Rav 4 for oil change and oil check recall. It has been low for oil changes since 65,000 miles usually no problem because oil is changed every 3500 miles. After leaving local shop I decided to check oil. It was a quarter inch overfull. I went back to dealer on 5/4/2016. I spoke with a service advisor and showed him the dipstick. He indicated that this was acceptable practice. I indicated I wanted the oil exactly on the dot.

After messing around and I believe service advisor and mechanic decided to just seal it and today 5/5/2016 I figured that since they were not very honest I removed the sealed stickers and of course oil was still over full. This must be a stupid game that they play on people.

I called the 800 Toyota number and went through the recall department. The only advise they could give was to wait another 5,000 miles then get an invoice from a reputable shop and request another dealer to do the test. The best advice I can give is stay away from dealers in my area.

- , Auburn, AL, USA

Oct 012015

RAV4 2.5L

Toyota is a well known global auto company with high standard and high performance autos. It’s totally unacceptable for an engine to consume oil after 60,000 miles. The low mileage engine malfunction is totally due to bad quality manufacturing practices, low standards of quality and performance which may cause thousands of dollars in losses and penalty for the Toyota.

Motor Sales Company. Only in California over 40 customers reported complains to California Bureau of Automotive Repair a Department of Consumer Affair over the engine oil consumption of Toyota RAV4.

Hereby the vehicle owner demand the Toyota Motor Sales to issue a full refund in amount of $ 1395.63 for the cost related to the auto parts damaged as the result of engine oil consumption. The damaged to the following auto parts and services (pump assy, belt, thermostat,gasket, gear assy, plung, tensioner, gasket, inspect block and oil consumption head) was caused as the result of engine malfunctions.

- , Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Mar 022016

RAV4 LX 2.8L V4

I'v got burning motor oil and must add oil every week or two.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 022016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

My low oil light started flickering in between oil changes. I took it in for an oil change and the service person (not Toyota) said my car was over a quart low on oil and it hadn't even been 5,000 miles since my last oil change. We use synthetic oil so we usually can go at least that long plus our car has the reminder light that kicks on. I had revived the sticker about extending the warranty for excessive warranty coverage so I made an appointment at the dealership. I advised them that it used well over a quart of oil in under 5,000 miles and the Toyota tech said "oh, at 95,000 miles, that's totally normal". They are doing the oil consumption test but it's not going to use a quart in 1200 miles so I'm sure it will pass. I'm just really mad that the dealership is telling me it's normal for a car to use a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. We also own an 2004 Carmy with 140,000 Mike's and I can tell you right now that it doesn't use one bit of oil in between oil changes.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA

Feb 012015

RAV4

I noticed the oil consumption started becoming excessive between oil changes. When I bought the car brand new I could make 5000 miles between oil changes with no problem. Last year that changed and I took my truck into Westchester Toyota in Yonkers, NY for an oil consumption test, and guess what, it failed.

So now more than a year later I am waiting for Toyota to fix my engine and provide a vehicle for use while it takes two to three days to fix. I was supposedly on a waiting list and the parts were in house as I was notified in writing that the dealer had the parts. A year on and I cannot make 3000 miles without putting in an additional 5 quarts of oil for which I am not reimbursed.

The last time I spoke with Westchester Toyota, approximately six months ago, I was told to wait until called but it just seems like I should wait until my car engine dies since they have no real plan in place to rectify the shoddy vehicle. Years ago I stopped going to the dealer for any work at all, only the recalls, since they have no clue how to deal with people in a professional manner.

Last Toyota I buy and will never recommend this car manufacturer.

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 202016

RAV4 V4

I'm the original owner and had regular maintenance done on the vehicle. No visible oil leak and the oil did not even register on the dip stick!

Added 3 quarts and drove 400 miles and now it is below the low mark and I could smell the oil burning this time.

Added more oil with a heavier weight.

I researched the internet and have found that this is COMMON with the RAV4 and that Toyota denies ever hearing about these complaints.

So, here I am, complaining! It should be fixable but from what I have read, it is not. I will contact the dealership next.

- , Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

The Toyota dealership, in Chapmanville, WV , have completed 2 oil consumption tests, and of course it passed..

I have logged and written down, the dates, mileage, and how much oil I have added, but, they don't want to see my log...I have no complaint against the employees at this dealership, they have and always have treated me with the utmost respect, my gripe is with Toyota.......Be AWARE........WE HAVE PURCHASED OR I MYSELF 3 TOYOTA'S,,,,,,WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE....THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS, MY RAV HAD ONLY AROUND 65K MILES WHEN IT WAS DISCOVERED. THEY NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, NOT THE CONSUMERS........

- , Man, WV, USA

Mar 242015

RAV4 Utility 4.6L/V8

my car is definitely consuming oil and Toyota has sent me a letter stating that my engine is one that follows the criteria of excessive oil consumption!!!! I took it to a Toyota dearlership in myrtle beach,sc.. while there, I had an oil change done. the service advisor came over to me an said my car had a valve cover leak and if I didn't have that fixed then, they couldn't do the test. I have a new house and the car has been in the garage and I have never seen a drop of oil ever! so, I said o.k. well, after paying the bill and leaving I felt the charge for the replacement of the valve cover gasket was a bit pricey.i called other dearlerships and found out I was overcharged by $60.00 . next, I went out and lifted the hood of my car, they had put tape around the dipstick. I took it off and I checked the dipstick myself . now that car hadn't moved since being at the dealership,to my surprise the oil level was 2 fingers above the full line, then I noticed my bug shield was broken as well. what do you think of all of this?????yes, I did call the dealership back and addressed all that I have stated. the service manager said bring it back and they will take some oil out and fix the bug shield, also look into the overcharge. now, I am trusting that they are being honest but their integrity with me is certainly questionable to say the least. yes, they fixed the bug shield ,but I had no way of knowing if they indeed took out some oil because now they put a speed tie on the dipstick. the service manager did give us a check for $60.00 and said the tech put in the wrong codes, really? oh, and of course my car passed the oil consumption test. I felt that Toyota is skipping over their responsibility to fix this engine. I was so angry I called Toyota corporation and filed a formal complaint about this dealership. now, my question to all rav4 owners, is, how much can we trust the integrity of dealerships to be honest with this issue????? I have taken my car to a car repair shop in the area and I have stated that this engine qualifies for excessive oil consumption. I use synthetic oil and the last 2 times I had the oil changed the tech came out and showed me that the car used up the oil and the oil was just showing at the bottom of the dipstick which the mechanic said was close to 2 quarts of oil burned. oh, yes after my formal complaint to corporate the dealership representative called me back and said bring back my car and I could watch them put in the oil!!!!! really? I asked her what the proper amount of oil would be you know the protocol in an oil consumption test? she said she didn't know, so what is going on??? now there is another recall on the seatbelts!!! it is in my opinion that the national transportation and safety board needs to force Toyota's hand and fix the vehicles that Toyota themselves have so stated in their letters to vehicle owners that their engines qualify for excessive oil consumption!!!!!

- , Conway, SC, USA