7.8

$2,109.00

2. added oil (26 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (17 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (9 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (4 reports)
  6. no--the dealership continues to wait for repair parts (3 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 062016

RAV4 LTD

My car is going to die before it's fixed! You know the problem, it needs to be done.

- , Merced, CA, USA

May 012016

RAV4 Economy 2.4L 4 cyl

I have never seen an oil spill on my driveway but ALWAYS get oil light on about 1,500 miles into my 3K oil change cycle

Last year the dealer said they would check, gave me an oil change I didn't ask for (I just had one so all that good new oil when to waste - that's what the car does anyway I suppose), charged me for unwanted oil change and quoted me another $1,300 to replace gaskets, hoses etc., not sure but basically they said they could not isolate the problem without fixing these things first.

I planned to have the work done elsewhere and comeback.

Recently when I was at the deal for ANOTHER recall remediation (there are so many it is tough to keep track), I mentioned the oil thing. The dealer acted like it was the first he'd heard and unapologetically said that it was out of warranty so there was nothing they could do (didn't even consider overcharging me to fix it). I'm done with that dealer but assume most are the same. I generally mistrust these guys, they are shady and lie. In this case could be manufacturer instruction, hard to tell.

- , Randolph, US

Apr 012017

RAV4 3.2L

The vehicle is needing oil weekly, the only fix is rebuilding the engine or trashing it at an $8000 loss. It's not sellable and the dealerships won't repair it because it's past warranty. So, we've got a current RAV4 loan for $8000 and as a student can't get another vehicle loan to purchase a replacement one, at this rate the engine is going to seize. This should be a recall.

- , Rutland, US

Jun 242017

RAV4

I am extremely disappointed in Toyota. I have complained to three different dealerships about the oil consumption in my 2007 Rav4. A test was done last year and I was told: "it was normal".

It is not normal to put a quart of oil in your vehicle every 1000 miles.

- , ElizabethtownE, KY, US

Jul 012016

RAV4 Limited 4 Cyl 4x4

This POS 2007 RAV 4 Limited was rated #1 & I'll NEVER TRUST their ratings again. Bought it new. Traded it in on a new 2012 Ford Escape Limited 6 cyl & still have it with no complaints at all with 48k still like new. Toyota = Recalls !!! I don't know how they could be rated so good.

- , Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA

May 212017

RAV4

Received letter from Toyota regarding possible excessive oil consumption. Took it in and followed through with the consumption test. When they checked oil usage, they said my vehicle did not use an excessive amount of oil. I'm not sure what they consider excessive, but I have to add a quart of oil every 30 days!!!! That is NOT normal! Like others, I cannot in good faith sell the car without disclosure of the problem, and with the issue the trade-in value is decreased. Will not buy Toyota again!

- , Evansville, IN, US

Apr 072016

RAV4

My excessive oil consumption test failed on 4/7/16, making me eligible for the engine replacement. It took 3 1/2 months and a call to Toyota Consumer service to get the repair done. While a large portion of the repair is covered under warranty, I paid $680 for the "optional" machining of the upper part of the engine. So much for Toyota reliability - I'll be going back to Ford.

- , San Anselmo, CA, USA

Jan 012017

RAV4 LX 2.4L

I'm very mad with Toyota for not taking care of this problem. They know they made a mistake with this type engine, and they refuse to accommodate costumers and to fix the problem. Very mad indeed.

- , Whittier, CA, US

May 262016

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

Two months in a row was down to 1 quart of oil when the 5000 mile maintenance light comes on meaning, get an oil change. Toyota did the Excessive oil consumption test TWICE and said it passed. Otherwise they would replace the pistons at no cost. They tested by plugging all holes that the oil could come out of. Since then I have driven 1200 miles and I am down a Full Quart! I not only own this RAV 4 that is on your list of Toyotas with excessive oil consumption reports, bought the Camry 2010 that I gave to my mother is also on this list!!!!! I have two problem cars.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 012015

RAV4 LX 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption is a well known problem to Toyota. Having your engine burn through as much as 1 quart of oil in 600 miles. The dealer confirmed the engine’s oil level, that it is going very low just after 1500km by taking a test at their service center almost a year ago. They said that they are waiting for head office instructions to fix the issue but still nothing happens, and now the situation is so bad that I have fill the oil every day.

Toyota knows it very well that Rav4 2007, 2008 has this issue. People have reported problems with the oil consumption in their engines, me too as a RAV4 owner.

I submitted all copies to my local service center related to timely oil change just after they took the test, but still waiting.

Hoping fix is made soon.

Thanks

Imtiaz

- , Milton, ON, Canada

Apr 012006

RAV4 D4D 2.2L

Rav 4 engine developed cylinder head gas leak so that it pressurized the cooling system which blows fluid out and eventually overheats. Toyota refused to cover this under the extended warranty despite knowing that this was a manufacturing fault. The cylinder head wears at the top and toyota replaced the engine (old engine is remanufactured by skimming head and using new pistons and rods). This is then used to replace other failed engines.

Our car was low mileage so took longer than usual to develop the fault by which time it was just out of warranty, Toyota main dealer refused to contribute to repairs and no joy out of Toyota UK either.

Toyota main dealer wanted at least £5,000 to carry out the warranty style replacement. Essentially the early engines blow up at around 60,0000 miles. Many engines in Rav4's have been replaced under warranty but are in fact remanufactured units.

- , york, UK

Nov 022016

RAV4 LE 2.4L

I had the oil consumption done when it was completed they said it only used a quart and this wasn't enough to repair the vehicle.

- , Southington, US

Jan 012016

RAV4 4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

We have a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 that has been experiencing excessive oil consumption problem for at least the past two years. We have brought it in to our mechanic on multiple occasions and also to the dealership. There was a recall notice last year and we had the required testing done twice in February and March of 2016 by the dealership and they claimed the car passed the test and was not defective. However the problem continues to happen. We had an extended warranty on the car at the time of the testing which has only just expired in October 2016. This problem was identified prior to the expiration of our warranty but Toyota claimed there was no problem with the vehicle. We have always followed the manufacturers suggested maintenance schedule and have the service records in our possession. In the last year to 18 months to two years we would have to bring the car in more frequently than the MFG recommended service schedule, as it was not making more than 2000 miles before the check oil light would come on. Most recently as little as 1200 miles.

- , Wantagh, NY, US

Oct 152015

RAV4 ES 2.4L

The car passed the oil consumption test which reads that it uses less than .25 gallon of oil every 1000 miles and that was it. So if my car uses 1 gallon of oil every change, and now, after driving 4,000 it has no oil left - it is normal - I don't think so.

- , Burlington, MA, USA

Oct 202016

RAV4 4 Door 4 Cy

This Rav4 has been serviced every 5,000 miles since purchased in 2008 with 12,000 miles showing, it now has 190,000. There have been no issues until Oct. 2016. The oil light came on and I had to add 3 quarts of oil to bring it up to the full mark. On Jan.20, 2017 the same thing happened again. The mileage was within 300 miles of time for scheduled service. When I carried the vehicle in for service and described the issue I was told that this was an issue with certain models of Toyota when this vehicle was produced and that it was a problem with the rings. Although all the service for this vehicle has been performed at a Toyota Dealership on a regular basis every 5,000 miles I was told that due to the mileage on the vehicle Toyota would not make any repairs to any vehicle after 150,000 miles. If the vehicle had not been serviced on a scheduled basis at a Toyota Dealership and had not been abused in any way (90 % highway miles) I could understand Toyota not standing behind their product. When you try to do everything right and this happens it is really disappointing. We have owned 5 Toyotas including the Rav4 and this is the first major issue we have ever had

- , Lugoff, SC, USA

Aug 082012

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

Oil consumption on our Rav4 is consistent with other owners reports. Toyota is going to do a second test soon. I've been adding oil every thousand or so miles. They claimed it passed the first one by not using a full quart in 1200 miles. the engine holds 4.3 quarts. The book says change it every 7500 miles. if my math is right, that engine should burn up in less than 5000 miles ! No, Toyota, it is not normal ! We own a Saturrn L300 and a Ranger PU, 2002 and 1998 respectively. Neither use a drop of oil and they have 213k and 185k for miles. Go figure, both are no longer manufactured. I think Toyota should replace every 2AZ-FE engine or rebuild them immediately. Where do I sign up for the lawsuit ?

- , Searsport, ME, USA

Oct 282015

RAV4 Limited 2.5L 4

My 2007 Toyota RAV4 has been burning more and more oil over the past 4 years. My local dealer ran the Toyota Oil Consumption test (Campaign # L28181033) on October 28, 2015 and confirmed there is excessive oil consumption with my RAV4. At that time (1 year ago) it was burning over 1 liter of oil in 1,000 Km. Now, 14 months later, Toyota Canada has done nothing and my RAV4 is burning 1 liter of oil every 500-700 Km. For the current 8,000 Km oil change cycle I will have added at least 10 liters of oil !!! Still Toyota Canada has done nothing and has not advised when the parts will be made available to repair my vehicle. The local dealer says they are waiting for Toyota Canada to prioritize the parts manufacture and I have to wait.

This oil consumption/engine ring design problem has caused plug fouling multiple times and low compression on cylinder 1. The car stalls sometimes when starting off at a green light. The car has difficulty climbing a hill with 4 passengers on board and regularly display 4WD, VSC & Engine lights on together before the engine vibrates and stops. Still nothing from Toyota.

- , White Rock, BC, Canada

Oct 272014

RAV4 4WD 2.4L

Starting in 2014, I had to refill 1 qt of oil about every ~1500 miles despite of meticulous maintenance throughout the entire life time of the car - note the 5000 miles oil change interval stated in the official service schedule. After receiving a note about a warranty extension describing exactly this condition, a first oil consumption test was initiated at a Toyota dealership in October 2015 and evaluated in December 2015.

According to the dealership, the car had passed this test (!) and oil consumption would still be within engine specification (!!). A second oil consumption test was initiated in September 2016, and evaluated early December 2016 by the same Toyota dealership which did the first test about one year earlier. This second test confirmed an excessive oil consumption, i.e. the test had failed. (Note that I had driven the car for about 13k miles in between both tests, and did not feel any difference in how much oil the car was burning.) I was told that the necessary parts for an engine repair would be ordered, and that I would need to bring in my vehicle for repair once those parts are available, which could take a few weeks.

The same afternoon, I was called back, and informed that my extended warranty had expired end of October 2016; therefore, any cost for the engine repair would no longer be covered. The dealership argued that although the oil consumption test was initiated during the extended warranty period, the confirmation of the condition happened after the extended warranty had expired. I responded that the evaluation of the oil consumption requires me to drive 1100-1300 miles before I can bring the car back to the dealership. I also checked the conditions and fine print of the extended warranty and was unable to find any statement that the oil consumption test has to be evaluated before the extended warranty expires; it only has to be started, i.e. a dealership has to be asked to do it. I called Toyota's national customer service hotline on this problem, and received an unsatisfactory answer as well.

I am extremely disappointed, and I strongly feel that Toyota has done everything possible to sit this problem out. How can 1 qt / ~1200-1500 miles engine oil consumption still be within engine specification if the maintenance schedule asks for a 5000 miles oil change interval?

- , Mountain View, CA, USA

Mar 022016

RAV4

I have bought a 2007 Toyota RAV4 in Aug 2013 with a 58,000 miles. I started to notice more than usual oil consumption between oil changes. I took the car to Cavender Toyota in San Antonio, TX . back in Aug 2016 for an oil consumption test as recommended by enhanced warranty bulletin from Toyota. The dealership did the test and to my surprise it passed the test. I am still experiencing the same problem to add oil after every 1,000 miles.

I contacted Toyota customer service and the dealership, and I was told that they cannot do anything because the extended warranty has expired in Oct 2016. I am very disappointed with Toyota Company.

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Oct 152016

RAV4 4WD Sport 2.4L V4

I purchased this car used from McDavid Ford Dealership in Ft. Worth, TX. I have not driven enough to change the oil and filter and have already added two quarts of oil.

- , Midlothian, TX, USA