7.6

$2,109.00

2. added oil (22 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (12 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (3 reports)
  6. toyota are rebuilding the engine (2 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 152016

RAV4 4WD Sport 2.4L V4

I purchased this car used from McDavid Ford Dealership in Ft. Worth, TX. I have not driven enough to change the oil and filter and have already added two quarts of oil.

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Nov 012016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

burning a lot of oil , just bought this car a few months ago for 7,000 of hard work, I cant believe this now , I thought Toyota was the best but I was wrong ..Toyota its going to do some fixing in may 2017 .. had to book by appointment.. hoping nothing happens with the car till then .. sucks .. really bad.

- , New Britain, CT, USA

Dec 042016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4cy

Engine is undwer warranty thru 150,000 miles due to this problem. My car only has 117,000 miles.

Took car in after I noticed it used 1/2 a quart of oil in 480 miles. Dealer is doing an oil consumption test but they are hedging their bets that even it it is covered by the warranty, it may cost me up to $1,200.00 in repairs to qualify to have the warranty work done!

This pissed me off to no end. As an example, they indicated that it looked like the value cover gasket may be leaking a little (showed me a spot on some black plastic at the passenger side rear corner of the engine that they said may indicate there may be a leak and Toyota HQ states the engine must be leak free to qualify for the warranty repairs so I probably will be required to replace the valve cover gasket). Really? there was not enough oil on the head that stuck out past the head gasket to attract dust! Started to see where all the complaints of Toyota not Manning up to this design flaw and making the needed repairs under their warranty like they should. Where is customer loyalty?

I own 3 Toyota's and a Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix. Depending on how I am treated on this issue will determine whether I continue to do business with Toyota. Chrysler screwed me on a warranty issue back in 2002. Dump my LHS and have never looked at a Chrysler product since. Only recommendation I give is to stay away!

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Sep 012015

RAV4 2.4L

I bought my RAV4 used about 4-5 years ago. I really like it. When I finally realized what was going on, my mechanic told me to have the oil consumption checked at Toyota. So, I did this back in August 2016. they said to drive for 1100-1300 miles. I went back to Toyota at 1176 and my car barely passed, so they said drive for 5000 more miles and come back for another test.

well, I went 7000 more miles and finally had time to go back to Toyota in October and was told that my car had too many miles (167000) and that the oil consumption test doesn't apply to it any more. I wanted to get a 4Runner and get my RAV4 engine fixed and give it to my niece, but having to put oil in it every 1000 miles or so is not something that I am going to pass on to my niece that is about to have a baby. I've had Toyotas since 1986, I guess it is time to move on to something else. If worse comes to worse, I can upgrade my little 4 cyl to a 6 cyl and put a lift kit on it...HA! Ideas welcome.

- , Millington, TN, USA

Aug 012015

RAV4

Dealer conducted oil consumption test in 2015 - indicated that they had to add a quart but that the car passed. Now burning a quart at 1100 miles means I am burning 0.009 quarts per mile. Toyota recommends 5000 miles between oil changes and at that point I would burned through 4.54 quarts - the engine only has 4.5 quarts in it so the car is burning all of the oil between oil changes. Why wasn't this a failure?

- , Bedford, NH, USA

Jan 012011

RAV4 4 cyl

Excessive oil consumption. I believe there was a recall but not sure if we exceeded mileage allowable. We had same problem with a 1999 Camry and Toyota repaired.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 042016

RAV4 2.4L

I was told when I got my oil changed that there was no oil on the stick. At that point the oil change place told me to go to Toyota and have them look up my car and see if there was a recall on the engine because this was a problem that Toyota knew about and were doing rebuilds. I had my car checked out and was told mine was not on the list of recalls. So now I just sit and add a little oil from time to time. It's rather annoying and now just looking for a new car incase one day the engine gives up on me.

- , Madison, AL, USA

May 012015

RAV4 4

I just recently found out that what I thought was because my car is getting older with more mileage it was normal. I just found out it was not. I never received anything about the problem. This has been going on about 18 months now. When I called about the problem they told me I have to many miles to be considered

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Aug 142016

RAV4 4

On my second oil consumption test, 4x to the dealer. 1st time did not burn "enough oil to qualify for repairs. Can not check up on the "test" because they mark the dipstick.

- , Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Mar 092016

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

Upon checking the oil, which I try to do between oil changes, I noticed the oil was below the minimum mark on the dip stick. This was in May. I had the oil changed then. In August the engine started knocking and I panicked and immediately stopped and checked the oil, it was dry. I added oil and the next day had the oil changed. Now it is Oct and 3k miles from my next oil change and the oil is not registering on the stick again. The engine is clean, there are no oil spots on the ground and smell of burning oil. Its been told to me that the piston seals are probably leaking since there is no evidence of a leak and the oil is disappearing.

- , Prosperity, SC, USA

Jun 012009

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

The car used oil from the beginning. We purchased the car new in 4/2007 and from the start it used oil. The problem progressively got worse. Now the car goes through 2-3 quarts between changes.

Update from Oct 19, 2016: Well I took my Rav to the dealership for the test. It FAILED the test. I was asked to bring the Rav back on the following Monday, this was on a Saturday. I told them that I could leave it there if someone could run me home, just a minute down the road. I was told that they would contact me on Monday about a loaner car or rental, at toyotas cost, THEY NEVER CONTACTED ME BACK TILL TODAY, WEDNESDAY, BUT ABOUT A RECALL ISSUE NOT RELATED TO THE OIL CONSUMPTION! I told them about it on the phone since I was supposed to have had a rental car. I plan to call Toyota's consumer hotline and make a complaint. The car should be completed tomorrow but I had to find my own way to get back and forth to work an hour away! No More Toyota vehicles for me or my family for that matter!

- , Manchester, TN, USA

Feb 072015

RAV4

Toyota did one oil consumption test and stated that it used a normal amount of oil after 1000 miles. It seems that every other time I take my Rav to be serviced, it has used too much oil or I have to get more oil within 1500 to 2000 miles. Very concerned that this will cause the engine to have a problem.

- , Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 012016

RAV4

2007 rav4, failed excessive oil consumption test. waiting for parts for the engine rebuild.

- , La Costa, CA, USA

Apr 252016

RAV4 Limited I4

Purchased my Rav4 used from Toyota/Scion of Grand Rapids around January/February of 2016. It had just a smidge over 77,000 miles on it. My first oil change was early due to low oil light coming on. I took it into a private owned shop where it was discovered there was hardly any oil in it at all. The mechanic completed the oil change and suggested i contact the dealership, Once I got home, I did just that. They had me bring it in two days later to check, and started my Oil Consumption test. I brought in my vehicle at 81,711 miles to complete the test. The techs checked it out and came up to me in a rushed manner and flashed a piece of paper at me showing they completed it and that it passed the test and therefore, would not perform the rebuild. Additionally, they told me that it is normal for vehicles to consume oil. Although I thought it was a bit excessive, getting a low oil light halfway in between oil changes and all, I accepted this news thinking maybe it was just a fluke and went on my way. A couple more thousand miles later, i decided to check my oil again on a whim. Low and behold, there was practically nothing on the dipstick, although my light had not turned on. After adding a quart of oil, I contacted the dealership again and they had me come in. I asked about having another test done, to which they replied, "Toyota only allows 2 free tests (per year?)" . So instead of starting another test, i was told to check my oil every thousand miles and make note of how much is on the dipstick. And if my light came on again, or the level dropped significantly, to contact them as soon as possible. Their goal was to "make it fail" so that they would perform the rebuild for me. So they finished the oil change and I went on my way. At the 1,000 mile mark(85,109), I checked the dipstick. To my surprise, it was already down to about 3/4. I had my Father, who is a Master ASE at another shop, double check to make sure i was reading it correctly. Yep, 3/4. I thought this alone was pretty excessive, but since i still had a "readable" amount on the tick, i made note of the level and went about my business. On August 31st, 2016, at the 2,000 mile mark(86,109) I checked again. This time there was hardly anything on the dipstick itself. Just some residual oil left from pulling out/inserting the stick. You could not read the level properly. I even took a quick video to show how little was on it. Although my light had not turned on yet, I contacted the dealership and left a message. The tech called me back and asked some questions, to which i replied with the information above. "3/4 isn't enough, we're trying for 1 quart being consumed within the first 1,000 miles." When I questioned him about the 2,000 mile reading, he said it was "normal" and gave me some garbage about oil use and thinning out, etc. Ok, I get that i suppose. But there is definitely something wrong! I should NOT have next to no oil after 2,000 miles! We ended the conversation with him telling me to put in 2 more quarts of oil and to keep checking every 1,000 miles and to keep in touch with him. It seems to me that there is definitely an issue, and the dealership is not acknowledging it. All the while, i'm left to continue "checking in" while still using my vehicle, wasting money on additional oil, and possibly causing further damage.

- , Rockford, MI, USA

Jul 162016

RAV4

Excessive oil consumption which dealer states is normal at a rate of 1 qt per 1000 miles. At this rate if I followed oil change interval, I would be out of oil by the next oil change. I had the test performed at a Toyota dealership and I do not agree with the findings and requested a 2nd test and I was advised that I would have to wait 6 months before test was performed again. My livelihood depends on my vehicle and at this stage, I am skeptical how far I can drive without something happening. HELP!!

- , Garfield, NJ, USA

Jan 022016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

Engine has excessive oil consumption. Initially, dealer tried to brush off the complaint and told me the diagnostics would cost over a hundred dollars just to see if there was a problem. Shortly afterward, I received a "warranty extension" notification from Toyota asking me to come in for an "excessive oil consumption" test.

(the dealer didn't know about this in advance? Really? HMMMMM...)I did so: they topped off the engine oil (My dipstick said they WAAAYYYY overfilled the engine) and had me come back in 1200 miles for a recheck. Of course, there was no problem identified. I am now adding a quart every 700 to 1000 miles. It's really sad, because I otherwise love the car. Sadly, the dealer has recently transitioned from good-customer-service to - well, let's be kind and say they're focused on maximizing income and minimizing expense (such as warranty repairs).

- , Forestville, WI, USA

May 192016

RAV4

I have been having excessive oil consumption since 2008. I have noticed that my car has been needing more oil much sooner than each time before. It has been very very expensive for me to have to buy oil over and over again without even needing to take it in for an oil change. I recently decided to change from regular oil to synthetic because I thought that the oil would last longer, oh boy was I wrong. The only difference is having to spend even ,more money than before. The oil consumption is horrible.

I had to take my car in to Pep boys because the check engine light went on and started to lose power. They told me it was a misfire from coil number 3. They changed spark plugs, gasket and coil. This happened in November of 2015, and again in March 2016. I took it again and thank goodness it was under warranty and they fixed it for free. Now it is June 27th and again the check engine went on for the 3rd time since last year, and I am hoping that when I call Pepboys they tell me that it is still under warranty.

I took my car to a Toyota dealership in May to have a consumption test done, and it failed the test miserably. A month and a week has gone by, and still have not heard from the dealership. Evrytime I call they tell me that they are still waiting for the parts. I am so desperate because my car has been giving so much problems. and a woman I have felt so helpless and hopeless. I cant wait to see if the problem is finally fixed. Toyota has to take responsibility for the mental stress and frustration this situation is causing on my well being.

I hate Toyota, and would never buy another car from them.

- , Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 012007

RAV4 4 cylinder

The 2007 Toyota Rav 4 uses more oil than any car that I have owned in over 50 years. I have to add at least 5 quarts of oil between each oil change. I had one excessive oil usage test done by Toyota which they stated it didn't use the required oil to be declared for excessive oil usage. They refused to allow me to observe the measurement during the test. I tested the oil consumption before I presented the car for the official test within the required test mileage. For my test, the oil started at the completely full oil line on the dipstick when I reached the 1500 miles the oil didn't even show up on the dipstick, but when Toyota did their test they stated the oil registered way above what is required to be considered excessive oil usage. I requested before the Toyota test started that I was to observe the placing of the tape on car, so I made sure they didn't add oil above the full level and to observe the end product but they refused to allow me to do this. They made the excuse the tech forgot to notify me before he put the tape on the car and when I brought it back to check the oil consumption.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 282016

RAV4 Sport 4

I've been having issues with the oil light turning on and off for a couple of years. I asked my mechanic and he said that it wasn't leaking oil. The light would turn on and off before the recommended 3k oil change. I noticed it more after using synthetic oil. I have taken the car to the dealership and they said they were going to do an oil consumption test and I have to bring it back after 1200 miles. The guy at the Koons Toyota dealership in Arlington,VA told me that I would have to pay for the oil change. I was told that this was a 4k problem to fix and that they weren't going to do anything until the test is completed. This is my first Toyota, I've always owned Hondas and I regret my decision to switch everyday. I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Sep 022015

RAV4

Since 2015 I was informed by the Elgin Toyota dealership during my 5000 mile oil change on my Toyota 2007 RAV4 that my car had virtually no oil. The dealership replenished it and 1000 miles later the oil light comes on and no oil was registered on the dipstick. Sept 2015 I was finally told about an oil consumption test which they said I passed yet oil would disappear now within 800 miles. They agreed to do another oil consumption test and during that time the oil light came on so I drove to the nearest dealership which was in St. Charles, IL. They told me there was no oil in the car and the Elgin dealership should had never passed my car. I had to do a 3rd oil consumption test because I was a few miles over the required mileage for the 2nd test to be valid. In February 2016 I failed the oil consumption test and they put me on the wait list and told me they're out of parts to fix the car. Despite repeated phone calls to service manager Sean and open case at the recommended toll free # I have not been taking care of. The car can not drive even 400 miles without me refilling the oil. They basically told me there is nothing they can do and the district manager did not approve a rental car. I am a professional businesswoman and have to go under my vehicle every 2 days! I have to purchased a 5 quart jug of oil every two weeks and was told to keep my receipts because they will reimburse me, which at this point I don't believe them because they don't appeared to have any attention on fixing the problem. I'm worried my only means of transportation will blow its engine which is what Toyota probably wants to happen so they can blame me and that's one less person they have to deal with. I paid over 20K for this car.

- , South Elgin, IL, USA