7.4

$2,288.00

2. added oil (18 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (7 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (4 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (2 reports)
  6. toyota are rebuilding the engine (1 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 012015

RAV4

I noticed the oil consumption started becoming excessive between oil changes. When I bought the car brand new I could make 5000 miles between oil changes with no problem. Last year that changed and I took my truck into Westchester Toyota in Yonkers, NY for an oil consumption test, and guess what, it failed.

So now more than a year later I am waiting for Toyota to fix my engine and provide a vehicle for use while it takes two to three days to fix. I was supposedly on a waiting list and the parts were in house as I was notified in writing that the dealer had the parts. A year on and I cannot make 3000 miles without putting in an additional 5 quarts of oil for which I am not reimbursed.

The last time I spoke with Westchester Toyota, approximately six months ago, I was told to wait until called but it just seems like I should wait until my car engine dies since they have no real plan in place to rectify the shoddy vehicle. Years ago I stopped going to the dealer for any work at all, only the recalls, since they have no clue how to deal with people in a professional manner.

Last Toyota I buy and will never recommend this car manufacturer.

- , Yonkers, NY, USA

Feb 202016

RAV4 V4

I'm the original owner and had regular maintenance done on the vehicle. No visible oil leak and the oil did not even register on the dip stick!

Added 3 quarts and drove 400 miles and now it is below the low mark and I could smell the oil burning this time.

Added more oil with a heavier weight.

I researched the internet and have found that this is COMMON with the RAV4 and that Toyota denies ever hearing about these complaints.

So, here I am, complaining! It should be fixable but from what I have read, it is not. I will contact the dealership next.

- , Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

The Toyota dealership, in Chapmanville, WV , have completed 2 oil consumption tests, and of course it passed..

I have logged and written down, the dates, mileage, and how much oil I have added, but, they don't want to see my log...I have no complaint against the employees at this dealership, they have and always have treated me with the utmost respect, my gripe is with Toyota.......Be AWARE........WE HAVE PURCHASED OR I MYSELF 3 TOYOTA'S,,,,,,WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE....THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS, MY RAV HAD ONLY AROUND 65K MILES WHEN IT WAS DISCOVERED. THEY NEED TO FIX THIS PROBLEM, NOT THE CONSUMERS........

- , Man, WV, USA

Mar 242015

RAV4 Utility 4.6L/V8

my car is definitely consuming oil and Toyota has sent me a letter stating that my engine is one that follows the criteria of excessive oil consumption!!!! I took it to a Toyota dearlership in myrtle beach,sc.. while there, I had an oil change done. the service advisor came over to me an said my car had a valve cover leak and if I didn't have that fixed then, they couldn't do the test. I have a new house and the car has been in the garage and I have never seen a drop of oil ever! so, I said o.k. well, after paying the bill and leaving I felt the charge for the replacement of the valve cover gasket was a bit pricey.i called other dearlerships and found out I was overcharged by $60.00 . next, I went out and lifted the hood of my car, they had put tape around the dipstick. I took it off and I checked the dipstick myself . now that car hadn't moved since being at the dealership,to my surprise the oil level was 2 fingers above the full line, then I noticed my bug shield was broken as well. what do you think of all of this?????yes, I did call the dealership back and addressed all that I have stated. the service manager said bring it back and they will take some oil out and fix the bug shield, also look into the overcharge. now, I am trusting that they are being honest but their integrity with me is certainly questionable to say the least. yes, they fixed the bug shield ,but I had no way of knowing if they indeed took out some oil because now they put a speed tie on the dipstick. the service manager did give us a check for $60.00 and said the tech put in the wrong codes, really? oh, and of course my car passed the oil consumption test. I felt that Toyota is skipping over their responsibility to fix this engine. I was so angry I called Toyota corporation and filed a formal complaint about this dealership. now, my question to all rav4 owners, is, how much can we trust the integrity of dealerships to be honest with this issue????? I have taken my car to a car repair shop in the area and I have stated that this engine qualifies for excessive oil consumption. I use synthetic oil and the last 2 times I had the oil changed the tech came out and showed me that the car used up the oil and the oil was just showing at the bottom of the dipstick which the mechanic said was close to 2 quarts of oil burned. oh, yes after my formal complaint to corporate the dealership representative called me back and said bring back my car and I could watch them put in the oil!!!!! really? I asked her what the proper amount of oil would be you know the protocol in an oil consumption test? she said she didn't know, so what is going on??? now there is another recall on the seatbelts!!! it is in my opinion that the national transportation and safety board needs to force Toyota's hand and fix the vehicles that Toyota themselves have so stated in their letters to vehicle owners that their engines qualify for excessive oil consumption!!!!!

- , Conway, SC, USA

Feb 092016

RAV4

These is the second time Toyota is doing the oil consumption test. The first time was in October where they said it passed but I'm back again in February at 97++ miles and I wasn't due for another oil change Gil April or 99++ miles. I've had all my maintenance done at the dealer to avoid them saying that they have no proof that I've been taking care of my car as I should. There's no oil in my car and Toyota is saying it's my responsibility to put oil in the car between maintenance and oil changes. That makes no sense. The vehicle is burning oil! They treat you real nice until you have a problem with your vehicle. Then you're on your own. I don't understand why there isn't a class action lawsuit against Toyota for this problem? There seems to be so many others going through the same runaround. If there is a class action lawsuit out there I'd like to know because I'm in! This is my first and last Toyota.

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Dec 302015

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

I HAVE OWNED, AND STILL OWN TOYOTA VEHICLES 6 TO BE EXACT. LATELY WITH ALL THE RECALLS AND PROBLEMS ON WARRANTY, NOT TO MENTION THAT TOYOTA DEALERS IN PUERTO RICO SUCK BADLY, I HAVE DECIDED TO LOOK AT OTHER BRANDS. MY RAV 4 CONSUMES OIL BADLY. I HAVE RECEIVED MANY LETTERS ON RECALLS ON MY TACOMA. TOOK IT TO DEALER AND TOOK OVER 4 HOURS JUST TO CUT ACCELERATION PEDAL. HELL I COULD HAVE DONE THAT. I WON'T BUY A TOYOTA VEHICLE AGAIN, WON'T RECOMMEND TO ANYONE EITHER, AND I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND HAVE BECOME OF POOR QUALITY OVER THE YEARS.

- , Humacao, Puerto Rico

Jan 022014

RAV4 4 cyl

Purchased this car from the original owner toward the end of 2013. It was well maintained by the previous owner with regular service checks and had approx 97,000 miles. Excessive oil consumption starts in early 2014. My mechanic couldn't find the issue. He tried small repairs, sealants, frequent oil changes to no avail. Gas mileage worsens over the next year. During some oil checks little or no oil observed on the dipstick at all but mostly really low levels.

July 31 2015 call Toyota dealership and ask about the problem. They don't acknowledge or provide any additional information about oil consumption issues but schedule an oil consumption test. 8-19-15 the engine fails on a major highway. Rapid loss of acceleration, engine lights come on, engine smoking and emitting burning chemicals smells. Mechanic attempts repairs but ultimately needs to replace the engine.

Fast forward to the beginning of December 2015 and for the first time Toyota sends a letter to my home acknowledging the oil consumption issues which can lead to engine failure. I call the Toyota company the next day. They inform me I can request reimbursement for the engine replacement and tell me to submit proof of repair and payment, a letter from mechanic outlining cause and remedy of the repair, and proof of ownership.

I send these documents in and in the beginning of January of 2016 they send me a letter stating my request has been denied. I call for clarification and they inform me that I cannot legally receive reimbursement for the engine repair because a certified Toyota repair place did not complete the repairs which is after their May of 2015 deadline for non Toyota mechanics to do so. I inform them that I was never mailed this information or provided with any instructions on where to have repairs done and prior to December of 2015 Toyota had not even sent me any acknowledgment of oil consumption as an issue.

They inform me they did send the info and there must be a problem with my mail. I check with the original owner who also had not received this notice. I asked Toyota how I could've known that all the repairs needed done by one of their repair shops if no one had informed me and they stuck with the story that they sent me this information. I asked them for proof that they sent me this information and they have now deflected the blame to me for not following through with the oil consumption test on July 31st. They state that the Toyota Dealership scheduling an oil consumption test qualifies as informing me that oil consumption was a problem that only Toyota could repair even though at this time (7-31-15) the staff did not acknowledge this was an issue for other Toyota Rav4 owners or offering any advice or cautioning me to not get work done outside of their dealership/repair shop when I specifically asked them those questions during my call. Then of course Toyota tells me they can't verify what the dealership told me.

They also tell me they may or may not be able to provide proof that they mailed me a letter on 1-29-15 called an interim notice that "allegedly" informed me of the reimbursement process, that excessive oil consumption was an issue with my Rav4, and they verify that they have the correct address for my home. As it stands they have informed me that my reimbursement request is denied and they consider the matter closed.

I just wanted to post this as a heads up to others about Toyota's less than exemplary notification process, customer service and information sharing, and hands off approach to dealing with long time customers. I will be pursuing whatever additional avenues I can moving forward to seek reimbursement from them despite their statement that the matter is closed.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 012015

RAV4 Sport 3.2L

I am experiencing the same problem w/ oil consumption. Prior to that, I didn't have any problems. It's been a year dealing with this. My oil light doesn't come on, and about 6 weeks after getting an oil change my car died on the FREEWAY, and the engine light started flashing. The highway patrol checked my oil and said it was bone dry! I recently had the consumption test, which it failed.

Toyota informed they'll fix it for free, but they need a part that has been back ordered, and other people with the same issue have been waiting for over six months for the same part. I was directed to top off the oil weekly, because the consumption is so bad. I did complain to corporate, and they're involved...however, they've pretty much told me the same thing.

It's so frustrating, and I'm looking into buying a new car. I was very loyal to the Toyota brand, and am completely appalled at how they've handled this. It's clearly unsafe to operate these vehicles in this poor, hazardous condition.

- , Altadena, CA, USA

Mar 032015

RAV4

Engine oil light went on after 8 years, still have no clue how it happened. It's too expensive to fix it since the car is already out of warranty. I can only check oil level frequently and add oil as needed. The situation is getting worse and worse. Now I have to add 2 quarts every 3000 miles.

- , San Diego, USA

Dec 242015

RAV4 RAV4 2.4L Dohc

Our 2007 Toyota RAV4 4-cyl (w/120 k miles & maintained regularly) needed a qt+ of oil added between the 3k mile normal changes. Toyota sent us a "recall" (TSB) letter so we took it in & paid the required $30 to change the oil & "seal" our engine. Returned after 1,200 (but not more than 1,300) miles. We qualified for the "oil consumption repair" but they informed us that on average owners are responsible for $1,000-$1,200 in "additional required" costs that aren't covered by Toyota during the recall/warranty work. They stated that getting our engine "fixed" was such a bargain that we would be stupid not to take advantage of the repair option & shouldn't complain about the $1,000+ in costs we have to pay out of pocket. Does this seam reasonable to others who are dealing w/this ? We've have a good relationship w/our dealer to date, but this seems odd to admit to a factory design problem and then require $1k or more to have the repair work completed ? It's also a situation that allows Toyota to remain vague about what they are actually doing to "repair" our Rav & what $ amount we will have to pay out of pocket since "they won't know specifics until they open our engine up & evaluate the required work." The Toyota factory statement we read in the TSB said that "Toyota would replace the Pistons," but the service manager stated that "they would replace the rings (from a $700 ring/gasket kit we have to pay for) and if necessary they might replace 1 or more pistons." That sounds like they are covering the labor for R & R, and we are covering the cost of most/all parts that created the problem in the first place....

- , Nevada City, CA, USA

Dec 172015

RAV4

I've got a similar experience as many others. The last time I had an oil change (around 95000 miles) the tech told me the oil was low. That was a surprise since the warning light had not come on. 6 weeks later I noticed the warning light flashed VERY briefly then turned off again. I checked the oil and sure enough, it was nearly empty. This was never an issue before. I won't bother bringing it to the dealer where I purchased it as I have had nothing but problems with them. When you add this problem to having more recalls than I can recall, this will be the last Toyota I purchase.

- , Washington Twp, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

RAV4 LX

I’ve been adding one quart of oil at around 1,500 miles for a few years now. Toyota said it was normal. I also had an issue where my check engine light was coming on and when Toyota did the diagnostic test, it came up as the O2 Sensor. $324.00 Plus the $99.00 spend for the diagnostic test.

I read on multiple sites that oil consumption can cause your O2 sensor to go bad and affect the catalytic converter. I will mention this when I bring my car back to determine whether or not my car passed or failed the consumption test. I will be surprised if it passes because now I am putting in two quarts before my 3,000 mile oil change at 125,000 miles.

Wish me luck.

- , Haverhill, MA, USA

Dec 282012

RAV4 XL 2.5L

December 2012, about 6PM my Toyota RAV4 started Over heated. When my wife called me and reported the problem I went to look at the car. The oil was completely dried with about 1500 miles before the next schedule oil change. I towed the vehicle to Toyota dealer where they gave me an estimate of $ 4500 to fix it. They also told me to add every 2000 miles a quart of oil which I found ridicule and unprofessional. I took the car out and paid $3500 to fix it. I always mentioned the oil consumption to Toyota representative technician any time I take the car for oil change. No one never take my complaint in consideration.

- , Palm Bay, FL, USA

Dec 012011

RAV4 Sport 4

I noticed a few years ago, when it was using a quart of oil about every eleven hundred miles. if it wasn't for my husband checking this for me, I could have ran out of oil before it really needed to be changed. I had took my Rav to the dealership and had complained that this was happening and all they did was make me pay for another oil change and must have put some kind of markers or something on it so that no one could tamper with it. I took it back for them to check it and pay for another oil change and they said that it was fine, and that the guy who did the last oil change, over filled it....then they told me to wait till it's really been hot out and bring it back and they would do this again.... well my husband changes my oil and he has noticed that it has been using even more lately...he told them over a year ago that this wasn't right, and when I went to them back in May of this year they tell me that it's normal...my husband just went out to check it again and said that it has used another quart of oil and he had to put it in for me....now how long will this go on... shouldn't they do something about this?

- , Delta, PA, USA

Jan 012015

RAV4 4 cyl

I HAVE HAD MY 2007 TOYOTA RAV4 FOR APPROXIMATELY 5 YEARS. WITHIN THE LAST YEAR I HAVE HAD TO ADD EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF OIL TO MY CAR. I CAN GO ABOUT 1500 MILES THEN I HAVE TO A 5 QTS OF OIL. THIS HAS BECOME A BIG MONEY ISSUE FOR ME. I WAS TOLD BY THE TOYOTA DEALER THAT TOYOTA KNOWS ABOUT THE PROBLEM BUT HASN'T ISSUED A RECALL TO FIX THIS PROBLEM ... I CAN HONESTLY SAY THIS... THAT FOR THE LONGEST TIME I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT TOYOTA IS THE WAY TO GO FOR A VEHICLE.. BUT KNOWING THAT TOYOTA IS NEGLECTING TO FIX THIS MAJOR ISSUE I AM CONSIDERING TO NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN... THE DEALER ALSO TOLD ME THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO A OIL CONSUMPTION TEST ON MY CAR TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS.... BUT I THINK ADDING 5 QTS OF OIL EVERY 1500 MILE SIS BAD...

- , East Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jul 102015

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I knew the car was consuming oil and brought it to Toyota several times before I found out they recognized the issue and were developing a fix. I contacted Toyota USA since my local Toyota service kept telling me the fix was not available but online I saw that it was.

Mine was the first vehicle scheduled for the fix at my local Toyota service and it tool them over a week to supposed fix it. When I went to pick up the car (after also paying for new water pump and v-belt they said needed replacing) the ENGINE light was on!! So I walked right back in and told them to try again. They called the next day to say it was ready.

One week and approximately 500 miles later, the Oil light was Back on!! twice as bad as before the fix now instead of buring through a quart every 600 miles I am burning over a quart every 300 miles. UNBELIEVABLE.

Toyota tells me I have to go for another 1100 mile consumption test but there is no way I can go 1100 miles without needing to add oil. I am scheduled to bring it in again in 2 days but now the Battery light has gone on and i have to get it Toyota for diagnostic (in addition to the oil test again) - if it is not the alternator then it means they messed up the v-belt install?

I tried taking it to another Toyota dealer service but they refused to take it citing "poor workmanship" on the oil fix.

- , Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Jul 052013

RAV4 2.4L

I have had the RAV4 for 3 plus yrs. After first oil change I noticed it was off the dipstick. Very Concerned!! I kept an eye on it ever since and added a quart every 800-100o miles. I checked out owners manual and it said it was normal to consume some oil. I never owned a recent vehicle that said it was normal to consume oil! (maybe back in the 60's or 70's!)

So here I am pumping oil in this thing. Seems to run fine & no smoke so where is the oil going? I assume at some point something will get fouled up with oil & cost me dearly.

I hear there is a lawsuit against Toyota about this. I don't know what the status of that is. I get dozens of pointless recall letters about things that don't amount to a hill of beans but they won't fix something seriously wrong. I bet resale on this dog is in horrible.

My first & last Toyota. I heard wonderful things about Toyota's, resale, longevity blah blah, blah to me. Back to my Chevy. Driving a 99 with 177,000 and burns one quart between oils changes! (5000mi)

Update from Jan 22, 2016: I completed the oil consumption test on Oct 4, 2015. It failed using 2 quarts in 1200 miles. I am impressed with the Toyota service department. It is now Jan 22, 2016 and I am still driving a loaner 4 Runner as the are waiting on pistons that are back ordered. I drop by once a month & renew the rental contract and off I go for another month of driving the 2015 4 Runner at Zero cost! Thanks Toyota for standing behind your product.

Update from Jan 29, 2016: Took my RAV4 into dealership to have oil consumption test done. It failed miserably! 2quarts in 1200miles. Toyota promptly gave me a loaner car (2015 4 Runner) for 3.5 months until all parts were received and the repair completed. As of 28 Jan 16 I got the RAV4 back. Significant power improvement! New piston, rings, head gasket, plugs, oil pump, antifreeze & transmission fluid. Cost $0. Impressed.

- , Wasilla, AK, USA

Sep 302014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Purchased this 07 Rav 4 vehicle used in 2013 and have had to add oil between oil changes ever since. Took in for excessive oil consumption test and was told that 1 qt. in 1,100 miles was not excessive. I called Toyota and they told me I could do the test again. Really! Do they think it will change. That could be possible because it has been a year and am using more oil between changes. Which I have always done every 3,000 miles even if it calls for 5,000 mile changes. It has gotten to the point that with all the oil I have to add I might as well just change the filter because I'm adding new oil all the time. My conversation with the Rep at Toyota was frustrating to say the least. They stand behind their statement that the type of oil use is "NORMAL". Biggest mistake I made was trading my Nissan Altima for this oil guzzling piece of crap. When I can afford to I will buy another Nissan, only used a pint of oil in 3,000 miles even when the car was at 100,000.

- , Cattaraugus, NY, USA

Jul 162015

RAV4

Purchased Toyota Rav 2/2015 used. Have had Toyotas in past, including 2004 RAV very good luck. Wanted a reliable safe vehicle. Expensive mistake and continued worry. 1st oil change, down a quart. last oil change pan completely dry and the oil light only flashed hardly noticeable a couple times..thought because it was due for reg oil change. Had them switch to synthetic. Checked it yesterday and there is little coagulated "glumps" still in oil. Guy told me also the oil was very black but no leaking or burning. Have scheduled with my non Toyota experienced mechanic because there is also a popping noise when I make left turns. Now since oil for incident it poops out accelerating from starting and steep hills. I am not a rich women and should not have to pay with either money or my life for Toyota's mistakes, ineptitude or indifference. There should be a class action about this oil consumption issue. Oh yeah...it seems to be unstable sloppy ...not the wind..oh yeah did I mention the coolant bucket is registering low

- , Albion, NY, USA