7.4

$2,200.00

2. added oil (8 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (6 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 262015

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

My wife and i own a 2007 toyota rav4 sport 4 cyl. me being a mechanic i have always taken great care of this car and have been very pleased with it. my wife typically drives this car, however i had taken it for a few days and noticed the oil light coming on. being very close to my matn being due i checked the oil and noticed there was no oil on the dipstick. this worries me. this engine has never consumed more than an a quart of oil in a 5k period. now that this has happened i am keeping a close eye and going to try and get this resolved. after looking up the web it seems to be a very common problem this car. hopefully i can get this issue resolved with little to no money out of my pocket due to it being a problem with toyota.

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

RAV4

Well, let's see.....I had a Jeep that I truly loved, but with gas prices going up, I needed something better on gas. So...Toyotas are supposed to be a very reliable vehicle. People have gotten very high mileage on the cars with little maintenance to the car ..right? How VERY WRONG!!!!!

I bought my 2007 Rav4 just over a year ago...used...I have already had front and rear brakes and a muffler and front strut put in...now the EFFING car sucks oil like crazy!!!! I have to check my oil every week to make sure there is enough oil..usually adding 3 quarts of oil before my next oil change. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Webster, NY, USA

Sep 202013

RAV4

I went to the dealership for my normal oil change in Sept 2013 and was told there was no oil on the dipstick, RAV had 85,000 miles at the time. No lights had come on that alerted me to an issue. They noted it on the records and said they would keep an eye on it. I went for my next oil change Nov 2013 and same issue of no oil on dipstick and again no warning lights. They noted it again on paperwork and said we might need to look into why it is using oil.

We made a phone call to a friend who is a Toyota mechanic and was told there was a service bulletin issued to the dealerships about oil consumption issues. Dealership did not say anything about this to me either time. We have watched the oil ever since and have to add oil between changes. In January 2015 we received warranty enhancement notification about oil consumption issue. In February we had oil consumption test performed and was told the RAV was within normal limits of oil usage. I called Toyota customer service and logged a case. They told me to go back to dealership between 1100-1300 miles and have oil level checked again. It was 1500 miles later before I could get back in to dealership. They noted the RAV had used 1 quart of oil in 1500 miles. I am being told that is normal usage and at this time my vehicle will not be included in the "fix". The RAV only has 120,000 miles on it. I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 234,000 miles on it that doesn't use any oil. My RAV has an issue with oil consumption and the amount of oil it is using is not normal.

We have been long time Toyota owners but after this I think my Toyota loyalty days are done. I will not purchase another one ever! I am disappointed with how they are handling this not only for myself but many others. It is time for the car manufacturers to take responsibility for bad product.

- , Lenoir City, TN, USA

Nov 152013

RAV4 2.4L

Toyota has issued a recall for the oil consumption. Take to your dealer to start the oil consumption test. Mine is burning 3.5 qts per 5k miles. I think you need to lose 1 qt with in 1100 to 1300 miles.

- , Lake City, FL, USA

Nov 012007

RAV4 4 cyl

I have questioned Toyota (Fannin, Ashland KY) since I bought the car (new) and they said it was normal which I knew it was not !!!

I have to put 1/2 quart in each Saturday !!!

Other than that I love the car.

- , Grayson, KY, USA

Apr 302013

RAV4 V4

I'm experiencing Excessive Engine Oil consumption on my 2007 Toyota Rav4. This started right after the warranty period and I understand now that this is an issue for a lot of Toyota owners. My issue is will Toyota take care of this problem and make things right with the consumer who is out of the warranty period?!

- , Humble, Texas, USA

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

Have to add 1 quart of oil every 500 miles.

No leaks. Not smoking.

- , Greensburg, PA, USA

Feb 082015

RAV4 2.4L V4

My wife Toyota Rav4 is drinking oil like crazy. Toyota said that 1.1 qrts per 600 miles is ok. Her is pass that point. Toyota said that they wont start fixing the problem till late spring or mid Summer. Is there not anything that can be done sooner. They said that the piston, rings, pins and bearings, need to be replaced.

Why the hoops to fix this??????????

- , Rutherfordton, NC, USA

May 302014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4c

Own a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 Limited 2.4l. I noticed that the oil light came on. I just had the car inspected and a oil changed two months earlier. When I checked the oil it was about 1 quarts down. This was very strange as the oil was always spot on. So I thought they shorted me a quart of oil on the change. So I added a quarts of oil. I then kept an eye on the oil level. I noticed that the oil level was dropping after about 1200 miles.now it as though I am adding oil every few months.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 012010

RAV4 LS

I requested my Toyota dealership performed an oil consumption test because my car uses an alarming amount of oil between oil changes. They determined there is no problem, and stated that Toyota considers it "normal" to add a quart of oil every 1500 miles. This is absurd!

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 182014

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl W/Vvt-I

My RAV is now using ----a quart of oil about every 1200 miles ----- Started slowly, about 3-4 years ago, but has gotten much worse - We have faithfully changed the oil every 3000 miles - Shop says I need new rings, at least, to fix the problem - rich.

- , Milton, VT, USA

Jul 012014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L 4 cyl

I have owned 4 Toyotas in my life, that's why I bought a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 Sport 2.4 about 1 year ago, may be more, not sure the exact date.

But I check my dip stick and no oil was showing and I just had the oil changed like 2 months before. So I added oil and when it needed another service I told the Toyota dealer it was using oil, they told me that's common in this engine REALLY !!! I had a 1993 2.4 p/u that had over 300,000 miles on it before and only had to do a new head gasket at 250,000 miles and it never!!!!!!! used oil. They said either buy a new engine or trade in my RAV. I told them it's still under 95,000 miles, Toyotas don't do that, they said these do .....that's BS !!!!!

So I figured I would have to live with it until today when I brought it in for its 95,000 service and talked to a service writer. He told me Toyota is suppose to be doing a recall soon on this problem and extend the mileage warranty to 110,000 miles??? We will see. If they don't I'll trade it in and buy another Kia, at least they honor their warranty and service. So in the next 1200 miles I need to check he said, and if so bring it in and they will do that test on it.

- , El Cajon, CA, mexico

RAV4

Burning oil, having to add 2 quarts at least in between each oil change. Oil consumption seems to be going up.

- , Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Jun 272014

RAV4 Sport 2.4L Dohc 4 cyl

Took a trip of about 2000 miles and as I drove into town the oil light came one. When I left I still had about 2000 miles to go before the next oil change. I was stunned. The oil barely showed on the dipstick. I took it in to a mechanic friend and they changed the oil, the transmission oil and did all of the 60000 mile check up requirements. I again checked the oil and it was down 1 1/2 quarts just a couple weeks after the tuneup work, and now I again had to add oil on about 1200 miles. Not expecting this kind of service from my Rav, I did not keep an accounting. My mechanic said it's cheaper to put a new engine in rather than fix this one. My other option is a new car. Talk about one pissed off old lady! I will not buy another Toyota!

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 012014

RAV4 Sport 2.5L 4 cyl

Called my Toyota dealer about this problem. I have extended warranty. I was told burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles is with in industry standards, even with the oil consumption test the warranty will not cover (normal?) wear. So I questioned that I would burn 5 quarts between changes which I have done at Toyota since I bought the vehicle. So with no extended warranty coverage I am screwed..thanks MR. Toyoda, your company will not own up to inferior product repairs. Just as a side note my 1998 Chevrolet s-10 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine does not burn or leak any oil after 16 years and a 188 thousand miles, even as a quart every 1000 miles is the industry standard..I thought I would never bitch about a Toyota, but it is true faulty cylinder rings,so kiss my ass.

- , Wauconda, IL, USA

Aug 062013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L I4

Have to start checking oil 500 miles after having Toyota changing the oil. Toyota changed the oil with 5-30 and still burns a quart of oil with in 750 to 1000 miles. First Toyota dealership I requested an oil consumption test, they never even performed the test. Second dealer performed test but did not do anything after first step. Will keep trying other dealership for one that takes care of their customers.

I am tired of doing one oil change just to add another of the remaining time of the first.

Car smokes and runs roughly due to the oil consumption issue.

I hope Toyota can step up and fix this issue of bad rings.

- , Gresham, Oregon, USA

Jul 122014

RAV4 Limited V4

I've have heard that the Toyota were good cars, but the 2007 Rav4 has an excessive oil consumption and it makes noise

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 112014

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I used to work for Toyota and they build excellent cars. I am now retired and I have owned my 2007 Rav4 since it was new. I am highly disappointed that after 110000 miles I have to add 2.5 qts. of oil to the engine. I feel that I will no longer buy a Rav4 again, ever. I am scheduled for an oil change in four days and am going to let the dealership know what a problem this is.

- , Westfield, IN, USA

Sep 012013

RAV4 2.4L

I have been reporting to dealers about excessive oil consumption since mileage was 50000 kms, in the beginning they didn't record it on papers, just topped up oil, they say it is normal, I have reported to Toyota , waiting for reply, I will not buy a car for $35000 and open hood every 2000 kms, I am not going to buy another Toyota again if they don't fix it.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Sep 032014

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I got the Rav4 with 36,000 miles, couldn't believe how much oil I put in this car! Obviously I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems Toyota had a bad run of engines amongst other numerous recalls. I hope they make good on it. With oil at $5 something a quart it becomes an expensive ride.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA