6.8

2. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (1 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 152011

RAV4 2.4L

I always check oil each week as a habit and this is how I discovered the excessive oil usage problem in this vehicle. If I didn't check the oil weekly I am certain there would have been serious engine damage. I have been told by Toyota that this excessive consumption of oil is normal for this model. Was told the same thing about the constant clunk and click while turning the steering wheel.

I have accepted the fact that Toyota quality has been declining over the past few years and I will look to purchase a different brand vehicle next purchase. Since they will not take responsibility for these defects and will not do a recall I will no longer be a customer.

Very disapointed!

- , Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Feb 062014

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

This is my 3rd and last Toyota. Burning oil @ 110,000 miles is the last thing I expected from a Toyota. The cars just are not as reliable as what they once were. I have had other issues with this car, but this is it. I'm trading it in on another vehicle and it definately will not be a Toyota. ... it breaks my heart though - I really loved this car.

Step to the plate Toyota and do the right thing for all the RAV owners who have vehicles burning oil!!!

- , Morrow, Ohio, USA

Nov 092013

RAV4 Limited 2.4L V4

Recently I found out that my car was pretty much out of oil before 5K oil change. Fortunately, I caught it during the routine oil check at the gas station. The dealership tried to check with the extended warranty company if there is any solution - they said - no, as oil consumption is not covered. After last oil changed I drove 500 mi and oil stick is dry again. I had to add a qt. of oil to raise the level to normal. The only solution was offered by dealership - check oil level every 600-1000 mi and add oil. So, now I have to go thru additional 4-5 qt. of oil before the scheduled oil change.

Update from Mar 7, 2014: After new check - one quart lasts around 1000 hi, but manufacturer said it's normal for the milage and standard for this type of engines

- , Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

May 012012

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

I recently purchased a 2007 RAV4 with about 90,000 miles. The previous owner did not let me know about the excessive oil consumption. Being a Toyota I mistakingly thought I could probably get 50,000 to 100,000 more mile out of this vehicle. Now that I have this vehicle I find that there are numerous complaints about this problem of which I have not seen any fixes. I have sent Toyota an email but don't expect to get a real answer. I am now adding a quart of oil at just about every 500 miles. Although I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner that has been great, I will think very carefully before buying another Toyota. If this type of problem is just ignored, Toyota will lose many customers including me.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 202011

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I bought this car at 71,000 miles. Toyota recommends oil change every 5,000 miles. I have had this car for over a year and have never been able to make it 3000 bc oil goes down far below the dip stick by then. I took it in to do an oil consumption test and they were only interested in knowing how my car held in oil for 1200 miles. Obviously they didn't want to follow it past that bc then they would see that there's a problem that THEY need to fix. I begged them to fix it and follow it longer and they won't. Now I'm trading it in to some poor soul and I'm telling every one I know how much trouble all this has caused me.

- , High Ridge, MO, USA

Feb 232012

RAV4 Limited 2.4L I4

The car had started burning oil about a year ago and I didn't think it was serious but it's getting worse (1/2 to 3/4 qt every 3000 miles). Engine model is 2AZ-FE I4. Has anyone experiencing this?

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 292011

RAV4 LX 3.2L V6

Bought it with a clean car fax. ran out of oil in 60 days no oil light came on to tell me it was out of oil. put oil in started noticing white smoke blowing out the back of it. took it to my local toyota dealership did a 1500 mile consumption test still smoking took it back to toyota they had it for 2 weeks was told toyota wanted $391 to tear down the engine to find the problem. this should be covered under warranty.crappy service from alexander toyota of yuma arizona. had to call them every couple days to find out what was going on with the vehicle. don't think i will buy another toyota product ever again.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 032011

RAV4 4 cyl

My Rav-4 4 cylinder also has excessive oil consumption. My car has just turned 60,000 and I've noticed for the last 12,000 the oil light comes on anywhere between 4,100 and 4,500 miles when the scheduled maintenance is 5,000. The last time I brought my vehicle into the dealership I was told it is normal for a vehicle to consume oil. I finally called the regional center with hopes my issue will be resolved. Time will tell!

- , Clinton, MA, USA

Jul 292011

RAV4 4 cyl

i have the excessive oil consumption but it seems like everybody at hanllees toyota turns deaf or are busy some place else when i have a problem

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012011

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

So this started at 48000 miles. I was bringing my car in for service and the oil light would flash on when making a turn. Service said it was low and proceeded with oil change. Note: I only use Mobil1 synthetic in my Rav. Before my next oil change, the oil light came on. I brought it to my local gas station to check the oil. There was NO reading on the stick. I had them put a few quarts in and brought it to the dealer for service. This time, I complained. I was told that they've seen this issue with other 2007 Rav4 4cyl and that I would need to bring it to the main service dept for them to inspect it. The main service dept didn't see any issues. I've been doing an oil consumption test. I have to bring it in every1000 miles for them to check it. Each time, the oil is down an average of 1-1 1/2 quarts. Every time, I'm told that Toyota is telling them that this is normal. I may be a women, but I'm not stupid... this is NOT normal. My brother's car has over 100k miles on it and doesn't consume that much oil. I got fed up and called Toyota Customer Care, only to be given the run around. They said that they couldn't do anything until the service tech found an issue. AND THEY confirmed the that other 2007 RAV4s are having the same issue. WTF!!! IF TOYOTA KNOWS THERE'S A PROBLEM WHY CAN'T THEY FIND IT AND FIX IT!!!!???!?!? When I brought my car in for service today, they said the oil was fine..... of course it was fine, I had to put a quart of oil in on Tuesday! UGH. But, they did see that my water pump was failing and replaced it - this is the SECOND time! I'm very disappointed with Toyota and won't be purchasing another Toyota.

- , Boston, MA, USA