Excessive Oil Consumption

2007 Toyota RAV4 (Page 1 of 6)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.6

$2,109.00

2. added oil (23 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (16 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (3 reports)
  6. no--the dealership continues to wait for repair parts (2 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 022016

RAV4 LE 2.4L

I had the oil consumption done when it was completed they said it only used a quart and this wasn't enough to repair the vehicle.

- , Southington, US

Jan 012016

RAV4 4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

We have a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 that has been experiencing excessive oil consumption problem for at least the past two years. We have brought it in to our mechanic on multiple occasions and also to the dealership. There was a recall notice last year and we had the required testing done twice in February and March of 2016 by the dealership and they claimed the car passed the test and was not defective. However the problem continues to happen. We had an extended warranty on the car at the time of the testing which has only just expired in October 2016. This problem was identified prior to the expiration of our warranty but Toyota claimed there was no problem with the vehicle. We have always followed the manufacturers suggested maintenance schedule and have the service records in our possession. In the last year to 18 months to two years we would have to bring the car in more frequently than the MFG recommended service schedule, as it was not making more than 2000 miles before the check oil light would come on. Most recently as little as 1200 miles.

- , Wantagh, NY, US

Oct 152015

RAV4 ES 2.4L

The car passed the oil consumption test which reads that it uses less than .25 gallon of oil every 1000 miles and that was it. So if my car uses 1 gallon of oil every change, and now, after driving 4,000 it has no oil left - it is normal - I don't think so.

- , Burlington, MA, USA

Oct 202016

RAV4 4 Door 4 Cy

This Rav4 has been serviced every 5,000 miles since purchased in 2008 with 12,000 miles showing, it now has 190,000. There have been no issues until Oct. 2016. The oil light came on and I had to add 3 quarts of oil to bring it up to the full mark. On Jan.20, 2017 the same thing happened again. The mileage was within 300 miles of time for scheduled service. When I carried the vehicle in for service and described the issue I was told that this was an issue with certain models of Toyota when this vehicle was produced and that it was a problem with the rings. Although all the service for this vehicle has been performed at a Toyota Dealership on a regular basis every 5,000 miles I was told that due to the mileage on the vehicle Toyota would not make any repairs to any vehicle after 150,000 miles. If the vehicle had not been serviced on a scheduled basis at a Toyota Dealership and had not been abused in any way (90 % highway miles) I could understand Toyota not standing behind their product. When you try to do everything right and this happens it is really disappointing. We have owned 5 Toyotas including the Rav4 and this is the first major issue we have ever had

- , Lugoff, SC, USA

Aug 082012

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

Oil consumption on our Rav4 is consistent with other owners reports. Toyota is going to do a second test soon. I've been adding oil every thousand or so miles. They claimed it passed the first one by not using a full quart in 1200 miles. the engine holds 4.3 quarts. The book says change it every 7500 miles. if my math is right, that engine should burn up in less than 5000 miles ! No, Toyota, it is not normal ! We own a Saturrn L300 and a Ranger PU, 2002 and 1998 respectively. Neither use a drop of oil and they have 213k and 185k for miles. Go figure, both are no longer manufactured. I think Toyota should replace every 2AZ-FE engine or rebuild them immediately. Where do I sign up for the lawsuit ?

- , Searsport, ME, USA

Oct 282015

RAV4 Limited 2.5L 4

My 2007 Toyota RAV4 has been burning more and more oil over the past 4 years. My local dealer ran the Toyota Oil Consumption test (Campaign # L28181033) on October 28, 2015 and confirmed there is excessive oil consumption with my RAV4. At that time (1 year ago) it was burning over 1 liter of oil in 1,000 Km. Now, 14 months later, Toyota Canada has done nothing and my RAV4 is burning 1 liter of oil every 500-700 Km. For the current 8,000 Km oil change cycle I will have added at least 10 liters of oil !!! Still Toyota Canada has done nothing and has not advised when the parts will be made available to repair my vehicle. The local dealer says they are waiting for Toyota Canada to prioritize the parts manufacture and I have to wait.

This oil consumption/engine ring design problem has caused plug fouling multiple times and low compression on cylinder 1. The car stalls sometimes when starting off at a green light. The car has difficulty climbing a hill with 4 passengers on board and regularly display 4WD, VSC & Engine lights on together before the engine vibrates and stops. Still nothing from Toyota.

- , White Rock, BC, Canada

Oct 272014

RAV4 4WD 2.4L

Starting in 2014, I had to refill 1 qt of oil about every ~1500 miles despite of meticulous maintenance throughout the entire life time of the car - note the 5000 miles oil change interval stated in the official service schedule. After receiving a note about a warranty extension describing exactly this condition, a first oil consumption test was initiated at a Toyota dealership in October 2015 and evaluated in December 2015.

According to the dealership, the car had passed this test (!) and oil consumption would still be within engine specification (!!). A second oil consumption test was initiated in September 2016, and evaluated early December 2016 by the same Toyota dealership which did the first test about one year earlier. This second test confirmed an excessive oil consumption, i.e. the test had failed. (Note that I had driven the car for about 13k miles in between both tests, and did not feel any difference in how much oil the car was burning.) I was told that the necessary parts for an engine repair would be ordered, and that I would need to bring in my vehicle for repair once those parts are available, which could take a few weeks.

The same afternoon, I was called back, and informed that my extended warranty had expired end of October 2016; therefore, any cost for the engine repair would no longer be covered. The dealership argued that although the oil consumption test was initiated during the extended warranty period, the confirmation of the condition happened after the extended warranty had expired. I responded that the evaluation of the oil consumption requires me to drive 1100-1300 miles before I can bring the car back to the dealership. I also checked the conditions and fine print of the extended warranty and was unable to find any statement that the oil consumption test has to be evaluated before the extended warranty expires; it only has to be started, i.e. a dealership has to be asked to do it. I called Toyota's national customer service hotline on this problem, and received an unsatisfactory answer as well.

I am extremely disappointed, and I strongly feel that Toyota has done everything possible to sit this problem out. How can 1 qt / ~1200-1500 miles engine oil consumption still be within engine specification if the maintenance schedule asks for a 5000 miles oil change interval?

- , Mountain View, CA, USA

Mar 022016

RAV4

I have bought a 2007 Toyota RAV4 in Aug 2013 with a 58,000 miles. I started to notice more than usual oil consumption between oil changes. I took the car to Cavender Toyota in San Antonio, TX . back in Aug 2016 for an oil consumption test as recommended by enhanced warranty bulletin from Toyota. The dealership did the test and to my surprise it passed the test. I am still experiencing the same problem to add oil after every 1,000 miles.

I contacted Toyota customer service and the dealership, and I was told that they cannot do anything because the extended warranty has expired in Oct 2016. I am very disappointed with Toyota Company.

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Oct 152016

RAV4 4WD Sport 2.4L V4

I purchased this car used from McDavid Ford Dealership in Ft. Worth, TX. I have not driven enough to change the oil and filter and have already added two quarts of oil.

- , Midlothian, TX, USA

Nov 012016

RAV4 Limited 4 cyl

burning a lot of oil , just bought this car a few months ago for 7,000 of hard work, I cant believe this now , I thought Toyota was the best but I was wrong ..Toyota its going to do some fixing in may 2017 .. had to book by appointment.. hoping nothing happens with the car till then .. sucks .. really bad.

- , New Britain, CT, USA

Dec 042016

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4cy

Engine is undwer warranty thru 150,000 miles due to this problem. My car only has 117,000 miles.

Took car in after I noticed it used 1/2 a quart of oil in 480 miles. Dealer is doing an oil consumption test but they are hedging their bets that even it it is covered by the warranty, it may cost me up to $1,200.00 in repairs to qualify to have the warranty work done!

This pissed me off to no end. As an example, they indicated that it looked like the value cover gasket may be leaking a little (showed me a spot on some black plastic at the passenger side rear corner of the engine that they said may indicate there may be a leak and Toyota HQ states the engine must be leak free to qualify for the warranty repairs so I probably will be required to replace the valve cover gasket). Really? there was not enough oil on the head that stuck out past the head gasket to attract dust! Started to see where all the complaints of Toyota not Manning up to this design flaw and making the needed repairs under their warranty like they should. Where is customer loyalty?

I own 3 Toyota's and a Vibe, which is a rebadged Toyota Matrix. Depending on how I am treated on this issue will determine whether I continue to do business with Toyota. Chrysler screwed me on a warranty issue back in 2002. Dump my LHS and have never looked at a Chrysler product since. Only recommendation I give is to stay away!

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Sep 012015

RAV4 2.4L

I bought my RAV4 used about 4-5 years ago. I really like it. When I finally realized what was going on, my mechanic told me to have the oil consumption checked at Toyota. So, I did this back in August 2016. they said to drive for 1100-1300 miles. I went back to Toyota at 1176 and my car barely passed, so they said drive for 5000 more miles and come back for another test.

well, I went 7000 more miles and finally had time to go back to Toyota in October and was told that my car had too many miles (167000) and that the oil consumption test doesn't apply to it any more. I wanted to get a 4Runner and get my RAV4 engine fixed and give it to my niece, but having to put oil in it every 1000 miles or so is not something that I am going to pass on to my niece that is about to have a baby. I've had Toyotas since 1986, I guess it is time to move on to something else. If worse comes to worse, I can upgrade my little 4 cyl to a 6 cyl and put a lift kit on it...HA! Ideas welcome.

- , Millington, TN, USA

Aug 012015

RAV4

Dealer conducted oil consumption test in 2015 - indicated that they had to add a quart but that the car passed. Now burning a quart at 1100 miles means I am burning 0.009 quarts per mile. Toyota recommends 5000 miles between oil changes and at that point I would burned through 4.54 quarts - the engine only has 4.5 quarts in it so the car is burning all of the oil between oil changes. Why wasn't this a failure?

- , Bedford, NH, USA

Jan 012011

RAV4 4 cyl

Excessive oil consumption. I believe there was a recall but not sure if we exceeded mileage allowable. We had same problem with a 1999 Camry and Toyota repaired.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 042016

RAV4 2.4L

I was told when I got my oil changed that there was no oil on the stick. At that point the oil change place told me to go to Toyota and have them look up my car and see if there was a recall on the engine because this was a problem that Toyota knew about and were doing rebuilds. I had my car checked out and was told mine was not on the list of recalls. So now I just sit and add a little oil from time to time. It's rather annoying and now just looking for a new car incase one day the engine gives up on me.

- , Madison, AL, USA

May 012015

RAV4 4

I just recently found out that what I thought was because my car is getting older with more mileage it was normal. I just found out it was not. I never received anything about the problem. This has been going on about 18 months now. When I called about the problem they told me I have to many miles to be considered

- , Orange Park, FL, US

Aug 142016

RAV4 4

On my second oil consumption test, 4x to the dealer. 1st time did not burn "enough oil to qualify for repairs. Can not check up on the "test" because they mark the dipstick.

- , Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Mar 092016

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

Upon checking the oil, which I try to do between oil changes, I noticed the oil was below the minimum mark on the dip stick. This was in May. I had the oil changed then. In August the engine started knocking and I panicked and immediately stopped and checked the oil, it was dry. I added oil and the next day had the oil changed. Now it is Oct and 3k miles from my next oil change and the oil is not registering on the stick again. The engine is clean, there are no oil spots on the ground and smell of burning oil. Its been told to me that the piston seals are probably leaking since there is no evidence of a leak and the oil is disappearing.

- , Prosperity, SC, USA

Jun 012009

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

The car used oil from the beginning. We purchased the car new in 4/2007 and from the start it used oil. The problem progressively got worse. Now the car goes through 2-3 quarts between changes.

Update from Oct 19, 2016: Well I took my Rav to the dealership for the test. It FAILED the test. I was asked to bring the Rav back on the following Monday, this was on a Saturday. I told them that I could leave it there if someone could run me home, just a minute down the road. I was told that they would contact me on Monday about a loaner car or rental, at toyotas cost, THEY NEVER CONTACTED ME BACK TILL TODAY, WEDNESDAY, BUT ABOUT A RECALL ISSUE NOT RELATED TO THE OIL CONSUMPTION! I told them about it on the phone since I was supposed to have had a rental car. I plan to call Toyota's consumer hotline and make a complaint. The car should be completed tomorrow but I had to find my own way to get back and forth to work an hour away! No More Toyota vehicles for me or my family for that matter!

- , Manchester, TN, USA

Feb 072015

RAV4

Toyota did one oil consumption test and stated that it used a normal amount of oil after 1000 miles. It seems that every other time I take my Rav to be serviced, it has used too much oil or I have to get more oil within 1500 to 2000 miles. Very concerned that this will cause the engine to have a problem.

- , Seattle, WA, USA