2007 Toyota RAV4 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 032014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that she attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in August of 2013, there should be a remedy available before February of 2014. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Logan , WV, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, she noticed a vibration under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Dec 162013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number 13V383000 (suspension) but was informed by the dealer and the manufacturer that the part was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 152013

Rear sway bar links rusted off on both sides.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Nov 092013

RAV4 6-cyl

I have had the first recall done for the lower suspension arm recall C0J and received an interim notification for a revised recall csj saying it is not yet available in my area. This past weekend I had work done on my vehicle and was told the pin in my lower suspension arm is broke and I should have it fixed asap. I called my Toyota dealer who told me the recall is not being done in my area as of yet. I called Toyota corporate who informed me the recall is not being done in my area and to have it inspected at the dealer and they may or may not be able to do the recall and fix the problem. I feel unsafe driving this vehicle and feel that Toyota is not working fast enough to remedy. I have been very unhappy with the number of recalls that have occurred with this vehicle and very unhappy with the amount of time off of work this has caused me.

- Berea, OH, USA

Oct 062013

RAV4 6-cyl

While driving car on highway, I heard a low noise from the passenger side rear of the car that sounded like something in the right rear suspension broke. Since this time, the car sounds like something is loose and makes a knocking sound from the passenger side rear of the vehicle when driving between 10 mph and 30 mph when you go over small bumps. It sounds like a broken spring or shock absorber or some other component of the rear suspension system is loose or broken. I am concerned about driving the vehicle, or letting other family members drive the vehicle, especially at high way speeds.

- Amawalk, NY, USA

Oct 202013

RAV4 6-cyl

Rear sway bar linkage broke. Very corroded. $240 fix.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Sep 032013

RAV4 4-cyl

Hit a car in front of me and wreck the front right corner of the Rav4 and no air bags went off. And my ins company total the Rav4 and don't know what happen to the other car.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Mar 012012

RAV4 4-cyl

Knock and sudden shift of steering wheel. Noise appeared to come from front of vehicle and along the steering column or suspension system. Has grown worse with use, but vehicle only has 30,250 miles. We would like to know if it's safe to drive; danger of loss of steering. We do not feel safe, especially at highway speeds.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Aug 242013

Turning from one street onto another at <5mph a pop occurred in the rear of vehicle and immediately I felt a drag and stopped. On the street, exiting vehicle I observed rear driver's wheel tilted significantly from the vertical. Had vehicle removed to my garage where rear suspension support was replaced. Now jumping hoops to get reimbursement from Toyota. I never received any notice of recall only to find after local repair that Toyota was planning a recall and then receiving today (Sept. 7, 2013) from NHTSA the official recall notice (NHTSA campaign id number : 13V383) the issuance finally of such a recall. Given that Toyota, over a year ago ("Toyota is going to recall some 778,000 vehicles sold in the United States because of a rear-suspension failure. But not just yet. First, it has to figure out how to fix the problem." -by laurent belsie, business editor / August 2, 2012, christian science monitor) knew of the problem it is unconscionable that such a delay occurred. Had this malfunction occurred on a major, high-speed highway, more likely than not I would not be composing this message today.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Jun 222013

RAV4 6-cyl

We were driving 55mph on highway 168 in North Carolina North towards Virginia coming home from vacation in the outer banks, nc. We were driving in left lane passing a Jeep, pulling a small trailer, in the right lane when we heard a pop and the car started to swerve to the right. Our car struck the Jeep on the driver's side turning the Jeep so it ended up in front of us. Both vehicles finally came to a stop after I applied the brakes. After checking on the passengers (my wife, two children and our dog) in our car and Jeep passengers, I went to move the car at the request of the police and the driver's side rear tire collapsed in at the top at about a 45 degree angle. Thankfully nobody was hurt. After having the car put onto the flat bed tow truck by aaa, the aaa employee and I could see under the car and noticed the rear tie rod was completely separate in two pieces. Received a preliminary recall from Toyota back in October/November about the tie rod. Took the car to our dealership, in November. They inspected it and said nothing was wrong so it didn't need to be replaced. The car is currently waiting to be fixed by my insurance company and I have filed a incident report with Toyota, who will be looking at the car.

- Glenside, PA, USA

Jun 252013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact received three recall notices in the mail several months ago and stated the dealer did not have the parts for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Mar 012009

RAV4 4-cyl

I have had numerous sensor problems, replaced free of charge at this point. Had to replace wheel bearing and wiring due to corrosion, free of charge now other side has same wheel bearing, corrosion problem and they want $1000. Have also had a clunking in steering column (bad knuckle joint) that tech's have not found. Hear that would cost at least $800. They also say water pump leaking and need replacement to prevent engine damage another approx. $1000. I've been online and these are all problems discussed by other Rav4 owners. The tech told me there are not enough problems to incite a recall. Mean while I've had nothing but problems since I bought this vehicle and it doesn't even have 60K. Now they want 3K to fix current problems.

- Maple Heights, OH, USA

Jan 282013

RAV4 4-cyl

The Toyota dealer states they do not have the parts and we need to check back. They have done this on other recalls for the same vehicle.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Nov 122012

RAV4 4-cyl

2007 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to problems with recall notices for rear suspension and power window switch. The consumer stated did not believe the recall was performed, as he is still experiencing problems with the power window switch. Also, the water pump was replaced. The consumer stated there were still problems with the suspension, after the dealer it was fixed. Due to the ongoing suspension problems, it was affecting the steering shaft, rack and pinion and tie rod. Updated 03/12/13

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 082012

RAV4 4-cyl

We became aware of a recall for the vehicle for rust formation that could lead to separation of the rear suspension arms in August 2012. It's January 2013 and Toyota tells us that they are still working on a "fix." They use a lot of salt to keep our local roads clear and, as you know, salt and unprotected steel are a recipe for failure for structural components. My point? it's been long enough to come up with a solution to the problem and even when Toyota does, it will take months to effect repairs. We would appreciate your looking into to the matter.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 302012

RAV4 6-cyl

We were on a major highway going home from one part of the state to another when we thought we had a flat tire. Suddenly we lost control of the car going from the slow lane, crossing the passing lane and ending in the snowy median. The rear lower suspension arm no. 1 totally failed. Our home Toyota dealer was suppose to inspect it on Dec. 5 when we had our car in for an earlier recall. They had mentioned that we were going to get a notice in the mail and it would be taken care of that day. That did not happen since the repairing Toyota dealer charged back the costs plus the towing costs to our home Toyota dealer. We just got our recall notice today. Updated 02/26/13's

- Oxford , OH, USA

Feb 202012

RAV4 6-cyl

Steering has play and clunk at times causing car to swerve do mechanical defect and/or over correction of the driver do to sensation of loss of steering control. After reading user forms on this vehicle it is common to the vehicle and should be recalled by Toyota to prevent fatal accidents. Recall items should include middle shaft and rack and pinion. Websites below tell people to complain to Toyota but this should be mandated by the NHTSA

- El Granada, CA, USA

Dec 182012

My vehicle recently had a recall for potential rust issues with the rear lower suspension arm. Both my sway bar arms are now broken due to rust and Toyota is charging me $500 to fix the issue. The service rep at the dealership told me "this is not a safety issue but the sway bars prevent the car from rolling over." This sounds like a major safety issue to me and also directly related to the recall issue. This is the 6th recall on my vehicle and I have submitted a request to Toyota to fix this issue at no cost. Considering Toyota did not have a solution to the rear suspension recall and forced it's owners to drive with the problem for multiple months exposing us to potential danger, asking them to fix this problem at no cost is reasonable. My dealership even went as far as to tell me that if I wanted them to inspect the recall situation prior to a fix being available I would have to pay labor costs. Last time I checked, the customer should not be responsible for paying labor costs due to a recall. I would appreciate that the sway bar arms on my Rav4 are fixed at no cost. If rust causing "threads may wear, causing the arm to separate, which could result in the loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash" that resulted in my recall than it seems like the two problems are related as the parts are in similar areas of the undercarriage. Thank you for your assistance.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Sep 112012

RAV4 4-cyl

I did went to dealer now they found leakage on rare shock suspension. This is because of rare lower suspension recall. Dealer saying it not part of recall. Only my wife drives car and we did took care very well. I would like to request this issue should be part of Toyota recall.. rare suspension not working properly need to replace by Toyota and making noise....

- Allentown, PA, USA