2008 Toyota RAV4 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 022016

There are 2 issues with the car: 1. the air dynamics of the car makes all small pebels run into the windshield. My car probably caught 10 or more of them. My windshield was replaced twice. There is a bull eye and other small rock-contact incidents 2. spare tire mounted on the back has a cover that tends to loose if going through the car wash. Took place twice. Imagine the hazard it presents to cars next in line in conveyor belt when the cover falls off right underneath of their cars and there is nothing they can

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 302016

Driving on an interstate at about the legal speed limit of 75 mph, part of the plastic wheel well cover on the underside came loose and caught between the passenger side front tire/wheel and the car body, at first sounding like we might have a flat tire. I pulled over and saw that the plastic cover was wedged between the tire and the car body. I had to unscrew three screws to remove this piece. It exposed some of the car body and what might be openings into the engine compartment. We turned around to head home. As we proceeded, driving more slowly back the way we came on the interstate, we could hear some scraping noise around the driver side front wheel. As I pulled into my driveway, another large plastic underside wheel well, (and engine compartment?) covering fell out beside the sidewalk and street. Upon parking in my garage, I could see the underside of the wheel well exposed like the other wheel area and what might be up into the engine compartment. Several plastic pins used to hold it in place had fallen off by the sidewalk. For this set of plastic pieces to come loose, creating a hazard, was very concerning. Pieces possibly could have flown away on the highway, harming other cars or drivers. We were grateful we were not hurt and did not get into an accident. This appeared to happen on its own, which reveals potentially shoddy materials and anchor mechanisms for this set of underside pieces. This was a potentially dangerous situation and I wonder if other Rav4 owners have had these pieces come loose or fall off.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Jul 172015

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the software was updated in the vehicle due to a manufacturer's recall. While traveling at any rate of speed, the contact's ankle was impacted by the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal, which generated an unsafe condition and a sudden loss of power. The contact experienced the failure more than once and had to move over to the right lane to get the vehicle to pick up speed each time the failure recurred while in drive. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V113000 (vehicle speed control). The dealer's technician came to the contact's residence for a test drive and the technician indicated that the power loss was due to the placement of the contact's foot associated with the spacing near the ankle by the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was not repaired from the recall remedy of the software update and the contact indicated that the failure may recur without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 57,315. Updated 09/10/15

- Arundel, ME, USA

Jan 102014

RAV4 6-cyl

I was pulling into my garage. I took my foot off the accelerator and went for the brake and the car suddenly lurched forward and struck a folded deck chair which was pushed through the garage wall.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jun 142012

RAV4 6-cyl

After my car received the first recall service (early 2014) for the rear suspension, about 5000 miles later I began to hear noises at freeway speeds from the passenger rear tire area. Not long after this noise started, I received the (mailed from Toyota) second recall notice regarding the back suspension. This was in Sept 2013. Each month I call Toyota for the second recall service and they never "have the parts necessary" for the second recall service. Each time there is no "idea" when these parts will be in. The noise is continually getting worse and now appears at much lower speeds. For the first service, I was told by Toyota my car was totally rusted (even tho the car was from the South us) and had been "dangerous". I see this safecar site mentions these second stage recall are to be completed between Sept 2013 and April 2014. Today is 4/9/2014 and the Toyota dealers in this area still claim they do not have the parts. Also today there now are new recalls for this same car how long will we wait for those parts?

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while at the dealer, the contact was informed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive to the extensive rusting of the frame, driveshaft, front control arms, rear suspension, rear shocks, and the passenger rear rim. The contact was also informed that rust was not a defect but environmental. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Fairhaven, MA, USA