2010 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 032016

Car accelerated ahead while pulling up to a stop sign. The harder I applied the brakes.... the more it tried to surge ahead. Finally got it stopped. The same thing happened to my wife today. She was parking the car and when she touched the brake pedal, the car surged ahead on her. She finally also got it stopped but it scared her. When it happens, the brake pedal feels really hard and the motor accelerates even though the brake pedal is being pushed and not the gas pedal. I called my local dealer and they are going to get it in tomorrow to check it out.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Nov 172015

I was driving on the freeway. The traffic was stop and go. I was going 10mph when the truck in front of me stopped. I applied my brakes and nothing happened. I pushed the brakes to the floor with both feet and still nothing. I hit the back of the truck in front of me. No damage to the truck just my front end. I got over to the shoulder and the brakes worked fine. I noticed that when I was braking my ABS light was flashing. I took it to the dealership. They said that they had never heard of that happening. But was I aware of a service recall on the smart stop technology. I said no I haven't. I was told that the "recall came out in 2013" funny because my car had been to the dealership in 2014. Why was it not taken care of then. I have read that others have had this similar problem and where told that there is nothing wrong. I am very thankful I was only going 10 mph or it could of been alot worse.

- Longview, WA, USA

Jun 282011

I started complaining about the scrubbing noise that the brakes had started making, so they replaced the brakes and only charged forty on July of the same year, the car started making the scrubbing noise again, so again they replaced them again, it lasted for about a year, and the scrubbing noise came back.the car was once again looked at and the mechanic said that there was a piece by the brake that had rusted together so for this car to be new, why were there parts rusting, maybe it was sitting in water I asked, so the general manager was bought out because I just could not see paying what they said the cost was but being a woman I think that they pulled a fast one on me and the repair was something like seven hundred dollars. I think that lasted for a couple of years so when it came back I took it to Goodyear and the mechanic said that the rotors were down and needed to be replaced. To make a long story short I just shelled out two-thousand- twenty two dollars for rotors and other repairs that the Toyota company said they had done and didn't do at all.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 312015

I was on a test drive to buy the vehicle.. it was very cold out, teens, but no ice on road. Riding along 20-25mph slowing down for red light--applied break -- seemed car was still accelerating had to stand on breaks to stop a couple of feet from car in front. Returned to dealership and told them, they looked up VIN said there as no recall. I saw on this site there is a very similar issue that there was a recall for. Should Toyota take a closer look at this vehicle?

- Keene, NH, USA

Jan 252015

I had been driving app. 10 minutes in snow covered road conditions when I was approaching an intersection with traffic stopped for a red light. As I applied the brake to ease into a stop, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. I was in the center lane with stopped vehicles in front of me. I had to exert hard force on the brake pedal to finally bring my vehicle to a stop. The engine was at least over 4000rpms on the tachometer. When traffic started moving again, I eased off the brake pedal and slowly applied gas and eased over in to the right(curb) lane. I stayed slow at about 15-20 mph and felt an acceleration again, but was able to brake successfully. I then turned right into the first available parking lot to gain composure before continuing on. I continued home at a safe rate of speed ( under 35mph). In the past 2 years there have been 3 other occurrences of acceleration when braking but never to this extreme.

- Independence, OH, USA

Jan 022013

I was driving up to traffic light to stop and I went to brake and my brake pedal seized up! it felt like it got stuck and would not engage, causing me to have no brakes and I hit car in front of me. I had no brakes and I could not stop! I have been cited for hitting someone from behind and there was nothing I could do to stop! I believe my ABS- antilock braking system some how caused my brakes to seize up and become inoperable.

- South Range, WI, USA