2010 Toyota RAV4 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the gears failed to shift properly and were slow to change over. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 262015

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While the vehicle was parked, the contact was able to turn the vehicle off with the gear shifter in either the drive or neutral position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 07/13/16

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Jun 262015

While driving vehicle began to shake or "wobble". upon inspection was found to be tire which was uneven in wear. Replaced tire and after a short time was found not to be the problem. Upon inspection was found seals on rear differential leaking. Closer inspection found rear suspension, tie rod loose. This we believe is due to rear suspension parts being faulty. Parts are original. At this time we are being told that it is not covered under any vehicle warranty or recall. This is a major safety problem as it caused vehicle to loose complete control. At this same time vehicle rear differential also began to give off a "whine" sound. The tires have been worn unevenly due to rear suspension being loose causing this failure. Our concerns are that we are being told there is no warranty or recall to correct or protect anyone owning and driving without knowledge of this problem. It should be known that tires worn uneven were on & from rear of vehicle. No front tires had been worn unevenly with this incident.

- Houlton, ME, USA

Jul 062014

RAV4 4-cyl

On 07/06/14 the car suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated at full throttle while stopped. Car moved toward motorcycle stopped ahead of me at the traffic signal even though I was pushing hard on the brake. If I had not turned the ignition off I would have hit the motorcycle. Today 08/06/14 at aprox. 20 mph the same thing happened. As I was slowing for a traffic light, the car accelerator went to full throttle uncontrollably running through a red light.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Nov 222012

RAV4 6-cyl

2010 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to vehicle drive gear issues. The consumer stated the vehicle was keyless. When he parked the vehicle, with the gear still in drive, he was able to turn the engine off, which meant, if parked on the slightest incline, the vehicle could possibly roll backwards. The consumer stated it happened once, but luckily no one was behind him. A technician from Toyota informed him, it was normal.

- Davidson, NC, USA

Feb 162011

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated when vehicle was parked on a slope, the vehicle rolled backward into a fence. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Pistton, PA, USA

Nov 152011

RAV4 6-cyl

With the vehicle in park and the brake pedal depressed, the engine reved immediately to around 6000 RPM when started. I turned off the engine without shifting out of park, got out of the car, and visually checked the floormat. It was not touching the throttle pedal and the throttle pedal did not appear to be depressed. After approximately 1 minute I started the engine a second time and the same thing occurred. I then waited approximately 5 minutes, pumped the throttle pedal several times, then started the vehicle a third time. This time the vehicle started normally (engine idling). I then drove home without further reving issues and have not had any reoccurence since the incident date. I took the vehicle to a local Toyota dealership for service the next day and was told that it was a floormat issue, and my driverside floormat was removed by the dealership. I disagree with this assessment. It is important to note that before I had the reving issue upon starting the vehicle, my last interaction with the vehicle was to have my foot completely off the gas pedal as I was steering the car into a parking space, when I was using only the brake pedal to moderate my speed, with no throttle pedal pressure being applied by me, and with the engine idling, as is normal. Do not see how this could be a residual stuck throttle pedal issue when I returned to my automoble and started the engine to drive away. The only other factor which may (or may not) be relevent was that when I turned the engine off after parking, I did not first turn the radio off, which I usually do. I believe I was tuned to a satellite station at that time (xm).

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 032011

RAV4 6-cyl

On August 3, 2011 everything was normal. I stopped for fuel. I then started the engine and shifted into drive with my foot on the brake. The engine began racing and making loud strange noises. The steering wheel was shaking in my hands. I immediately shifted back into park and turned the engine off. I restarted the engine and everything was normal. On August 4, 2011, I took the Rav4 to quality imports, a dealer in fort walton beach, Florida. The dealer wanted me to see Toyota's side of the story. With considerable effort on his part, he uninstalled the very heavy semi rigid aftermarket rubber mat and reinstalled it to rest on the accelerator. He then said, "this is probably what happened." This very heavy semi rigid floor mat is precisely contoured to snugly fit in the exact Contour of the floor board. There is no room for this mat to move, because it fits so snugly within the confines of the molded Contour. The rubber mat has never moved in over 6,000 miles of driving. I have a clear soft vinyl mat on top of the heavy semi rigid mat; the vinyl mat that has never been any trouble. Also, the accelerator pedal hangs above the floor mat thus making it impossible for a mat to slide on top of the pedal. The dealer then instructed me leave and obtain instructions by calling the Toyota customer experience center. I called 800 331 4331; I was given case number 1108040789. The Toyota representative asked me how fast I was going. I told him I was standing still with my foot on the brake; he responded, "I guess you don't know how fast you were going." He instructed me to wait for a case worker to contact me.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 012011

RAV4 4-cyl

I leased a 2010 Toyota Rav4 in March 2010. The crossover has been okay. One problem being when I am on an incline, say at a stop light and take my foot off the brake and apply the gas the Rav4 rolls back like its a standard. I have asked several times when I have brought the Rav4 in for service. The service dept tells me the feather both the gas and brake until I am over the incline. I spoke to several Rav4 owners from 2006 thru 2011 and it seems to me its only the 2.5 litre 4cyl that has the roll back. Thank god I have not rolled into anyone, but feathering the gas all the time is to much.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Dec 162010

2010 rav 4 accelerator stuck going into reverse with the right foot securely on the brake pedal. Placed car in park and the car hit red line 7000rpm. Looking at the accelerator pedal, there is nothing touching the pedal. The only way to stop the acceleration problem is to shut engine off. Stuck ECM computer.

- Mathhews, NC, USA

Aug 302010

I was driving my 2007 Toyota Rav4 up a mountain dirt road in worlds end state park in sullivan county pa. I was traveling approx 15 mph. I hit the brake to slow down when the throttle suddenly went to full acceleration. I pressed hard on the brake, put the transmission into neutral, stopped the vehicle and shut off the engine. I pressed the gas pedal a few times and restarted the engine. Everything seemed fine. The same thing occurred on the way down the mountain. This time I was in low gear and the brake would not hold the vehicle. It took me a few seconds to shift into neutral and shut off the engine. The road took a sharp turn to the right, which is why I hit the brake to slow down, and I just managed to stop short of going off the road into the trees. I had no further problems on my trip home. I took the car to the Toyota dealer when I returned but they could find no problem. The only fault code in the system was for the battery which was ok when they checked it.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jun 302010

Toyota Rav4 base AWD unintended acceleration. When attempting to stop at a traffic light, the car slowed down but kept moving forward even with the brake pressed all the way to the floor. I shifted to neutral, and the engine all of sudden revved up to a high RPM and made a loud roar even though the accelerator pedal was not pressed.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Mar 272010

To whom concern hi, my name is don martinez. I have a disconcerting and disappointing story to tell about buying a new Toyota. My friend purchased a 2010 Toyota Rav4 5-door 4X2 SUV ltd on 3/20/2010 and on 3/27/2010 the vehicle failed. The car hesitated to advance and after 2 or 3 more tries did not responded at all. So my friend called the dealer to have the dealer pick up the car. She was interested in knowing what was wrong with her new car. The car was picked up the same day 3/27/2010. On March 29, she called the dealer to find out about her new car's problem, and the salesman (harry zhu) told her they do not know what the problem was, but harry said, "the car needs a new engine". she loves the Rav4 and was convinced to ask for another Rav4, same model, same price; just another Rav4 sounds fair, sounds easy, for her. Now, my friend has no choice but to ask for no less than her money back. Her experienced has opened my eyes to the way that the Toyota dealership takes advantage of their customers. More people will know about this story and I know that is only one of many stories you hear, but I hope you will learn a lesson from this story. Customer service can either help or hinder your business and in this case bad customer service turned away a loyal Toyota customer who wanted nothing less but to drive her brand new Rav4. Mike calvert Toyota russ hensley business development manager 2333 South loop West houston tx 77054

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Feb 122010

Computer failure on my 2002 Toyota Rav4. Transmission failure.

- Gardena, CA, USA