2010 Toyota RAV4 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Nov 042016

RAV4

We hit a deer while doing 45 to 50 mph on a local 2 lane highway. Damage was major and was mostly to the passenger front but we were able to drive it home (about a mile). Airbags did not deploy as intended and did not prevent passenger from hitting head on window trim. Passenger was taken to the hospital for head abrasion and neck pain. She was treated and released. As a note the airbag light is staying lit at instrument cluster and seat belts did not lock in place. We are awaiting a visit from the insurance adjuster.

- Hinton, WV, USA

Sep 202016

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While the vehicle was stationary, the air bag indicator remained illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle displayed "air bag not on". the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 092014

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owned a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While at stop sign, another vehicle rear ended the contact's vehicle. A third vehicle struck the front end of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy and the seat belt unhooked independently. A police report was filed. The driver sustained mouth injuries from hitting the steering wheel, as well as neck, back, and wrist injuries. Medical attention was required. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 48,000. Updated 11/01/16

- New Salisbury, IN, USA

Aug 012015

RAV4

Wind shield wipers dont work, and my passengers seatbelt light turns on and off when no one is seating in ' the seat.the car has "turned off while driving. Took it to the mechanic they changed the oil.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 292014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While driving 70 mph, there were blocks of ice on the road that caused the contact to crash into a guardrail. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained neck and back injuries that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and repaired, but the details were unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,522.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 072015

RAV4

When my vehicle was stopped I was rear ended at about 15 mph. Airbags did not deploy but all bag lights illuminated.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Aug 292011

RAV4

Letter for direct reply- requesting legal assistance for accident involving 2010 Toyota Rav4 driver's air bag module failure. The consumer and his wife were involved in an accident, and the air bags failed to deploy. The repair shop informed the consumer, the air bag module was faulty prior to the accident. Toyota claimed the air bags did not deploy, because there was no direct frontal impact to the vehicle.....updated 04/08/15 updated 04/13/15 updated 04/16/15 updated 11/4/2015

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 252014

RAV4

Was at a standstill when I was hit by a 1999 Dodge neon on right front side...the neon shred the front of my car from passenger side to driver side, traveling deeper into the front end of the car as it went across my car from right front to left front. The airbag did open, however, between 8 and 9 O'clock on the steering wheel the bag caught fire and when up in flames. The left side of the bag was damaged by fire and my left hand was burned. When I saw the car at the collision shop the airbag had been removed...updated 12/17/14 updated 11/10/2015

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Mar 272012

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle was involved in a crash where the airbags failed to deploy. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the air bags were replaced. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,230 and current mileage was 45,000. Updated 06/05/14 the consumer stated the incident occured on March 29th. The driver was exiting froma drive through at a bank, driving 5mph. A second vehicle crashed into the front right side of the consumer's vehicle. The consumer stated the vehicle was poorly repaired. The vehicle was traded in. Updated 06/09/2014

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Mar 032014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the air bag warning light illuminated on and off sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V014000 (air bags and seats). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65000.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Jul 202013

RAV4 6-cyl

I was driving about 25 mph on the small street. The road curved a little in one place and two right wheels of my car went to the shoulder which was the same level as the road but a little bumpy or graveled. It took me a couple seconds to be back on the road but at the moment I was there the right side curtain airbag suddenly deployed. I was very scared and stopped and checked the car and the wheels żż there was nothing at all except two right wheels were dusty. I believe that it was a malfunction of a sensor because there was no impact and there were no any big rocks or pot holes on the road. But Toyota refused to repair airbags and interior; they found a scratch on the wheel and claimed the wheel was bent. It was not true as it was found during repair in body shop. The repair cost was all for airbags / sensors and roof lining with just a fraction for balancing the wheel to be sure it was indeed ok. It was a normal use of the car, no any impact, but faulty sensor.

- Groton, MA, USA

Nov 182012

RAV4

Putting into a parking stall (at a rest stop)with foot on the brake pedal, the Rav4 acceelerated at a high speed, only stopped after hitting a sign pole, still accelating, only stopped by turning motor off with ignitoin key.the air bags did not activate with $8809 in damage.this vehicle has 2 recalls on the accelleration problem,1 on the rear suspension. Also rear middle seat belt not working and tire pressure continous to not function ather being fixed.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Aug 292011

RAV4

The contact leased a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving approximately 23 mph, another vehicle ran a stop sign and crashed into the side of his vehicle. Upon impact, the air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to his neck, back, and shoulder. The rear passenger sustained injuries to her left breast. The police were contacted and a report was available. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was pending an investigation. The manufacturer was contacted and they were also pending investigation. The failure and current mileages were approximately 4,000..updated 02/25/13 the consumer has since traded the vehicle, because the lease was ending. Updated 05/23/13 updated 04/23/14.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 052010

RAV4

Date: 12/19/2010 from: Dan insdorf/863-258-6584 re: 2010 Toyota rav 4 lease/ air bag safety concern I recently leased a Rav4 from your dealership. I traded a 2007 pruis and have owned numerous Toyota. My reason for leasing the rav 4 was to make life easier and safer for my spouse who is undergoing cancer treatment. I made this fact known to my salesman sonny rothwell and brought her with me to test her getting in and out of the vehicle and general comfort. The vehicle was not running during this test. I drove the vehicle approximately 5000 miles without paying attention to the dash warning light regarding air bag activation. When I finally checked with your service department, they stated that the air bag light indicates that the air bag is not in active mode when "off" and that this occurs when there is not enough weight in the passenger seat. I asked the amount needed to activate the "on" position and they did not know. My wife is 5' 1" and weighs 86 pounds and I would never have leased this vehicle if I would have known she would not have the benefit of air bag safety. Air bags saved my wife and mother in-law several years ago. I called Toyota corporate 800 331-4331 and explained my problem. They stated that it requires 90lbs of weight to activate air bag and that this could not be adjusted. Ref# 1012030063 I later called service manager david newton and he confirmed the 90 lb weight requirement. He suggested I bring the car in. Prior to bringing the vehicle to the dealer, I tested the front seat by having my wife sit in the seat with a 16 lb bowling ball on her lap. The air bag light was still showing off. I also read my owners manual and found no indication of any weight requirement for air bag activation. There were references to children and luggage in passenger seat. I brought the car into your deal

- Mt. Dora, FL, USA