2011 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota RAV4:

2011 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 202014

RAV4 4-cyl

I was going about 15 mph when I applied the brakes to stop at the end of my street, nothing happened, my foot went all the way to the floor. The only thing I could think of doing was to turn the veh off and coast to a stop it worked after about 50 feet, after I stopped shaking I drove home even slower than before and when I turned into my driveway the brakes again did not stop, but the pedal did not go all the way to the floor, I turned off the key again and coasted to a stop. I had just had the front brakes fixed at the Toyota dealer because they told me they needed it, the veh was only a little over 2 years old. I questioned whey they had gone out so fast I was told it was the way I drive. If this is the case I should have to replace the brakes on all my veh within 2 years I never have, something is wrong with the Rav4.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 282013

RAV4 4-cyl

I lease a 2011 Toyota rav 4 and my car accelerated uncontrollably into another car. I was inching out of a parking spot very slowly in reverse, when I noticed a man to my right, two spots away from me, pulling out head first. I depressed my brake pedal in order to let him go and the moment I did that, I literally flew back into this man's car with such a force that I would have most definitely run somebody over if they were walking behind my car. Thank god there was not a huge amount of space (maybe 6 feet) between me and the car I hit because I surged back with such a force that given the time and/or space, I cannot even think about what could have happened to me or someone else if the car was able to gain more momentum. Not to mention how thankful I am my 3 year old daughter and 6 month old son were not in the car with me! I most definitely had an accelerator problem. I had no additional mats on my floor. There was no pedal misplacement. I am telling you that I was slamming on the break and it didn't work- I just propelled behind me into this man's car. I am in the process of contacting everyone and everyone to try to get out of my lease. I am not driving this car ever again and wouldn't risk my life or the life of my two children. I am very skeptical of accurate findings in an investigation after reading many reports from people swearing the car accelerated and the brakes did not work and being told everything looks fine with their car by the investigator. There must be a recall for this car. I could have killed somebody. I will never drive another Toyota!

- Williston Park, NY, USA

Dec 082011

RAV4

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while entering a residential garage, his foot slipped off of the brake pedal and caused him to depress the accelerator erroneously. As a result, the contact crashed into a work bench. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed by the dealer that no cause for failure was determined. The manufacturer was notified and dispatched an engineer to inspect the brake pedal. The engineer determined that the brake pedal was not the cause of the failure. The contact stated that the pedal would only become slippery in certain situations. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 11,000.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Jan 292013

RAV4 6-cyl

I was driving my daughter to school when I am slowing down to stop, at a stop sign and my car did not stop I had to apply my emergency brakes or I would have been kill because there was cars coming from my left and from my right. It was like a T avenue.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Nov 132012

RAV4 4-cyl

I was approaching a traffic light in low speed and lightening my pressure on the gas pedal when the car accelerated and lurched forward. I pressed my foot on the brake pedal and the car continued accelerating. I had to veer to the adjacent lane since I was getting too close to the car in front of me. Then, the car came to a halt.

- Beacon, NY, USA

Apr 042011

RAV4 4-cyl

There is in adequate spacing between the accelrator and the brakes on this vehicle. I drive 80 miles a day, and I have to angle so that I don't hit the top of the break when lifting it off the accelerator. This is very dangerous. Also, the brakes don't work that well, they're not stable.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Apr 072012

RAV4 4-cyl

Problem 1 - I have brake noise and brake does not stop properly. Spoke to Toyota dealer and then created a case number with Toyota customer experience. Toyota verified and they say no problem in brake. What Toyota says after inspection - *inspect brake linings and check parking brake adjustment ~|~*inspect brake linings and check parking brake adjustment ~|~ ~|~could not verify brake noise.front brakes have 5 mm remaining and rear brakes still have 7 mm.all good and no tsb pertaining problem 2 - the vehicle has a wind like noise when driving the freeway, which Toyota says they fixed and the problem was "secure loose roof rack bar".

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 292011

RAV4 4-cyl

I have a serious concern over the design of the brake and gas pedal width on my 2011 Toyota rav. My problem is that my dress shoes and recreation boots are getting caught on the brake pedal when I swivel from the gas to the brake pedal. On multiple occasions, I came close to serious accidents. I avoided the accidents by quickly sliding my right foot to the right and completely lifting my foot up and over to the brake pedal. During one of these maneuvers, moving my right foot quickly to the right resulted in the lip of the sole on the right side hitting the gas pedal and causing acceleration of the vehicle. This problem does not occur when I wear sneakers, as the sole of the sneaker does not have an approximate half-inch lip on the sides. Also and most important, I drive a Toyota highlander and this problem does not happen. I also did not have this problem with my Camry, which I traded in for the rav. The above vehicles has close to a five inch width separation between the brake and gas pedals. I've brought this to the attention of my Toyota dealer and the maintenance manager. They have been responsive of my concern, forwarding my complaint to the area maintenance manager. I met with the area manager explaining the problem. He proceeded to take pictures of my shoes and the 3 inch width between the brake and gas pedals. That meeting ended with the area manager opening a case and the promise he would refer my problem to his appropriate management. To date, my case is still with Toyota. My local Toyota dealer maintenance manager has contacted me advising that the case is being handled at a higher level.

- Oakdale, NY, USA

Apr 062012

RAV4 4-cyl

I experienced a sudden vehicle acceleration event on April 6th. I followed Toyota¿'s investigation procedure and even met with a technical expert and we agree on the following points: ¿¢the event would have shown up as two separate events in the ABS history queue. An initial vsc event (sudden acceleration) closely followed by the ABS event (my pressing on the brake pedal harder in response to the sudden acceleration) ¿¢if a check of the ABS history queue would have been done immediately, both events would still have been stored in the ABS history queue. ¿¢the small capacity of the ABS history queue, coupled with the recording of many frequent traction control (trac) events pushed the record of my ABS- and vsc events out of the ABS history queue. ¿¢the ABS system should not engage when the vehicle is stopped or moving slowly as in my incident. So, there was a malfunction of the control system that remains unresolved. Toyota refuses to acknowledge the existence of the problem. Because the ABS system should not have engaged when the vehicle was either stopped or moving slowly, there is absolutely clear evidence that there is something wrong with my vehicle. I think Toyota is engaged in a cover-up regarding the sudden acceleration problem. I request that the us federal government order Toyota to do the following since they refuse to do it voluntarily or at my request: ¿¢include an immediate examination of the ABS history queue in the health check. ¿¢create, and install in my Rav4, a new version of electronic control software that implements the following changes: A.separate queues for each for each of the three types of ABS history events: ABS, trac, and vsc B.increased ABS history queue capacity to ensure that 90 days of each of the three types of events are stored. C.all ABS history events are time-stamped and date-stamped.

- San Jose, CA, USA