2012 Toyota RAV4 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota RAV4:

2012 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 012014

RAV4 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking place at our church. When I turned into the parking place the car took off and it jumped an 8 inch curbing and ran into the parish center wall. It tried to climb the wall. I push the accelerator to turn into the parking space and the car took off! it was not driver error!

- Oakwood, IL, USA

Jul 242013

RAV4 6-cyl

I drive a Toyota Rav4 V6 ltd, 2012 purchased on Jan 2, 2013. Prior to that we had a Toyota Camry 1999 with more 200K miles on it. On July 24th, 2013, I was driving at a speed of 10 mph inside the apartment complex and was turning right to park. I was almost parked when all of a sudden the car surged and zoomed over parking stopper, breaking overhead storage bin, zoomed ahead and banged into the building stairs. I kept pumping the brake all through, but the car didnt stop until it hit on to the stairs of apartment. The wheels were still rolling but it couldn't go ahead because of the heavy stairs and finally after continuously stepping on the brake it stopped. My right foot was all along on the brake as it always is when I'm parking. Body of the car was severely damaged with glass pieces all over me. Luckily my 3 year old was safer at back in her car seat. The airbags did not deploy on impact. I'm having more than 10 years of driving experience and it was the first time that I was involved in an accident. Since I'm a woman everyone was quick to conclude that, I had stepped on the gas pedal instead of brake. But I know my foot was all along on the brake, until the car finally stopped. This has caused a lot of damage, although I had insurance to cover the car, the value is zilch now. The car was not totaled and repairs was worth more than 20K. Driving the car now, doesn't feel the same as the collision center did a crappy repair job. Now the car makes sounds while driving, as though it will come apart. We are left with no options other than just to drive the same car because we can't afford another car. After notifying Toyota and after numerous calls they collected the edr and sent us a report stating that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. It was our fault that we didn't realize Toyota had issues related to unintended acceleration prior to buying the Rav4.

- Bend, OR, USA

Sep 032013

RAV4 4-cyl

Brakes failed to work. Would not stop.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Dec 212012

I was driving westbound on I-70 around mp 129. This is just before glenwood canyon. There was a flashing icy road sign at which time, I signaled my intention to move to the right lane which I did. I slowed down and put my car in 3rd. This was just before a curve to the right where the road and visibility narrow. The right lane was completely iced over as I realized when I got around the curve. In front of me, I saw a pileup, both lanes of traffic were blocked. I tapped my brakes to slow down but because of the ice, I did not stop or slow down. I went around one car stopped in my lane to avoid hitting it from behind. I went around on the shoulder. I continued to pump the brake. Immediately in front of me was a Sierra 4X 4 that was perpendicular to the lane of traffic and it was also blocking the shoulder. I plowed into it about the middle of the truck at a rate of anywhere of 25 - 30 mph. My airbags did not deploy. My dog and I were both restrained and we suffered no injuries. My car is in all likelihood totaled.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA