2012 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota RAV4:

2012 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 212012

RAV4

I was driving westbound on I-70 around mp 129. This is just before glenwood canyon. There was a flashing icy road sign at which time, I signaled my intention to move to the right lane which I did. I slowed down and put my car in 3rd. This was just before a curve to the right where the road and visibility narrow. The right lane was completely iced over as I realized when I got around the curve. In front of me, I saw a pileup, both lanes of traffic were blocked. I tapped my brakes to slow down but because of the ice, I did not stop or slow down. I went around one car stopped in my lane to avoid hitting it from behind. I went around on the shoulder. I continued to pump the brake. Immediately in front of me was a Sierra 4X 4 that was perpendicular to the lane of traffic and it was also blocking the shoulder. I plowed into it about the middle of the truck at a rate of anywhere of 25 - 30 mph. My airbags did not deploy. My dog and I were both restrained and we suffered no injuries. My car is in all likelihood totaled.

- Solana Beach, CA, USA

Nov 072012

RAV4 4-cyl

Driving in rush hour traffic and braking for car in front of me but nothing happened. Readjusted myself and pressed harder on brakes but still rolling. Brakes to floor but still moving. Had brake pressed to floor and ended up rolling into car in front of me. Minor scratches on my front but none on car ahead of me. Got out because I thought someone hit me from behind because couldn't explain why I couldn't stop. No damage to rear. Got back in car and drove home. Brakes worked fine since. Took car to dealership on Saturday but they could not find anything wrong with them. Unsure what happened but I did not slam on brakes and was alert and paying attention when brakes failed momentarily. Dealership assured me car was fine. Hasn't happened since. Not sure what to do but someone from a Rav4 site said I should post here.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 022012

RAV4 4-cyl

This is a leased car. This date was the first episode of a recurring problem. Each time it took place on a local street. Each time as the driver ( my wife or myself ) was stepping on the brake to bring the car to a full stop the car suddenly started to accelerate. This first incident was noteworthy but was attributed to the newness of the vehicle. The three incidents that followed were considerably worse. We contacted the dealer from whom the car is leased and were told to bring the car in. We brought the car in on August 23 and picked it up on August 30. At that time we were told that the car had been tested and nothing wa wrong with it. In other words, Toyota has no explanation of why these four incidents took place. This vehicle was purchased so that we could safely Transport our grandchildren.the lack of resolution of the problem leaves us with an unsafe vehicle that we would never use for the original intended purpose.the August 29, 2012, wall street journal column 'me and my car' has a letter describing a very similar problem on a Toyota highlander that was brought to the dealer twice. Each time the letter writer was told what seems to be Toyota's stock answer, "nothing is wrong'. the wsj columnist responds that ' complaints about the electronic speedcontrol systems on Toyota (and other brands )are frequent'. he goes on to suggest that figuring the cause will take several visits to Toyota. No additional visits were scheduled or even suggested by Toyota.

- Hartsdale, NY, USA