5.2

2012 Toyota RAV4 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota RAV4:

2012 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 032015

RAV4

This has happened about three times. When I am stopping the car with my foot on the brake the engine suddenly revs up and I have to really exert pressure on the brake to prevent the car from lurching ahead. After a few seconds of braking, the engine stops revving.

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Sep 062014

RAV4 4-cyl

On September 6, 2014 at 4:20pm while pulling forward into a parking space the car had an unintended acceleration. This is the third time with the exact same circumstances. I pulled forward into a parking space and stopped. I placed the car into reverse with my foot on the brake to re-adjust the position of the vehicle in the space. Backed out without applying foot to accelerator. I applied the braked when car was out of the space. With foot on brake then shifted into drive and the car immediately accelerated to 4,000 rpms. With my foot firmly on the brake the car continued at 4,000 rpms for three seconds then dropped the rpms to 1100. The weather was clear, 84 degrees, 77% humidity, dry pavement, no all weather floor mats. The car had recently had an ECU programming update at 17,000 miles, when at Toyota for an oil change. The problem started immediately after the programming update. I have had the vehicle back twice and Toyota can not find the issue.

- Patterson, NY, USA