2014 Toyota RAV4 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Toyota RAV4:

2014 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 112016

Recently I was driving my 2014 Rav4 near downtown tampa on adamo drive and was taking a left turn, and suddenly I heard some kind of noise and felt like my vehicle went dead without any electrical power and it started reversing on it's own and spun to right. Fortunately since I was taking a turn I was hardy at a speed of about 10 mph and hence my front right passenger side door & head light etc. Got damaged and there was a very minimal damage to the front fender on the driver side of the vehicle behind our Rav4. For the same reason none of us - either myself, my front co-passenger or the driver of the vehicle behind our Rav4 were physically hurt and were very safe after this incident. The driver of the vehicle behind our Rav4 informed that he heard a kind of strange sound and saw our Rav4 reversing & turning right, and he moved away into the right lane. The police officer, who has come also informed that she has come across this kind of incidents with Toyota vehicles recently, and did not give me citation after reviewing my incident free driving record and also she could not find reason for this freak incident which looks more like a mechanical defect of my Rav4, and advised to take to Toyota dealer for further investigation & resolution. On further research we found that there is a serious recall - "electrical power assist system" (eps) for 2014 Rav4 which was identified & documented by Toyota on 03/13/2015 but was not notified to the customers. We have contacted Toyota company, complained about this incident, informed the recall and we are waiting for a response from Toyota after a thorough investigation, computer data analysis from our Rav4. I am herewith attaching the documentation for the recall. I am very much worried & concerned about this incident, since it is of very serious safety issue. Please review and reply as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 082015

The roof rack cross bars do not stay in place while being used and car is in motion. We purchased a rockymount for our bikes that connects to the roof crossbars and when driving on the interstate, the stock cross bars moved backwards so that our bikes were hanging over the backside of the car.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 012014

Large black area at top of windshield while driving at night. Mainly on dark roads. This is while driving with headlights on.

- London, OH, USA

Aug 052015

We were driving down the interstate at about 65 mph at around 9 am when we heard what sounded like a boom on top of our 2014 Rav4. There were other vehicles on the road but there was nothing that we saw fly up off the road and immediately turned to see what might have flown off the back of the vehicle and saw nothing. We were able to exit the freeway and find a parking lot to see what happened to our vehicle. Our sunroof had a big hole in the middle and all the rest of the glass was cracked like a spider web. There was nothing found such as rock or other object in the glass that could have hit the vehicle and no other damage to the roof. Thankfully the cover was closed at the time. We did not have a choice but to break out all the remaining glass after contacting the Toyota dealership/and insurance company, so as not to spray glass on the road or drivers on our 45 mile drive back home. Toyota dealership told us it would not be covered under our warranty and would have to be an insurance claim. We feel that this is a manufacturer defect.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Aug 102015

While driving at 60mph, manufacturer installed sunroof exploded. Outside air temp was 88deg. Sounded like a gunshot, and caused me to swerve off road thinking my car had been hit. No other cars or people on roadway at the time of the incident. No overpasses or trees, either. No rocks or debris were found in the broken glass. Cover was closed, or I would have been covered in glass. Toyota has had complaints about this problem, and refuses to accept responsibility for this known defect.

- Lexington , SC, USA

May 022015

On May 2, 2015, at about 10:00 a.M. we were driving to the scranton, pa, area. We had just entered the on-ramp to I-81 North from rt. 309 when we heard a very loud bang and roaring sound similar to a door on a jet blowing off mid-air in a movie. There was nothing on the road to run over and the closest vehicle to us was a truck tractor at least 500 yards ahead of us and not driving on an angle that would send anything airborne to our area; nor were we near an underpassr. We put our flashers on and pulled over at the first safe area. Upon checking our vehicle, we discovered our sunroof glass had ¿¿exploded¿ with an approximate 8-10 inch circular hole dead center and the rest of the glass fractured. We had the interior sunroof covering pulled closed when this occurred. The edges of the hole were bent slightly upward indicating an upward force. We didn¿¿T run over anything and nothing struck us, so we were fairly shocked. We checked our cell phones and discovered independence Toyota, hazelton, pa, was about 5 minutes away at our next exit. We pulled in and both the sales people and service people examined the damage and were as surprised as us. Nothing was found in the glass debris that would indicate something struck the glass. Independence Toyota was great by cleaning up the glass, placing two layers of heavy plastic over the sunroof opening and taping it shut. I am a retired police lieutenant. I know what impact damage looks like and this was not it. Upon checking online, this occurrence appears more frequently than one would think in various makes of vehicles. Price Toyota in new castle, de is declining to cover this under warranty citing this is normal glass breakage. I have had windshields struck before. This is not remotely close. It is not okay to be driving your vehicle and suddenly have the sunroof "explode" with no causing factors present.

- Wilmington, DE, USA