9.3

2015 Toyota RAV4 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Toyota RAV4:

2015 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 012015

Poor fuel economy getting 17mpg

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Jun 132016

RAV4

On June 13, 2016, I noticed my gas tank was full, after it was tank the day before. So, I thought my husband had filled it up before he left for his business trip that morning. Towards the end of the week, I noticed the tank was still full, so I knew something was not right. Spoke to my husband who had then confirmed that he did not fill up the tank before he left. Went to the gas station and it cost me $34 dollars to fill it up, I almost ran out of gas! I could have gotten into a bad accident if this would have happened while driving on the highway! took the car into the dealership and was told that it could be either the floater or it could have been rodents nibbling at the wires, because someone had had that experience already. Anyway, of course it ends of being the rodents. So, I searched the internet to get more familiar with this problem and found a load of information. Apparently, this is contributed to Toyota's move to eco-friendly organic wiring insulator compounds that attract rodents as a food source! this is causing a problem with Toyota car owners. I have a Rav4 2010 which is kept inside and this situation has never happened. This 2015 Rav4, which is garage kept, rodents seem to enjoy. This is a serious issue because people have experienced wiring damage by munching rodents, which is not covered under Toyota warranty - a very expensive proposition. Not to mention a safety hazard, had I ran out of gas on the highway! last week, it cost me $611.51, how much will it cost me the next time when they munch on another part of the car?

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Oct 132015

RAV4

Purchased this car dealer certified after being leased for 9 months by someone else, from new rochelle Toyota. Had 5700 miles on it at the time of purchase. Since purchase it does not always start the first time, sometimes taking 3-4 times to start, and making strange noises, it sounds like its going to start and then dies. Has been to the shop 3 times and going in for the 4th time today, on 12/4 a new fuel pump relay was installed, starts better but still unknown reason why it at times it still takes 3-4 times to start it. Is a mystery, nothing shows up on the tech computers after it happens over and over again. Have owned Toyota for over 17 years never expected an issue like this. Also lights flicker and there are strange noises when attempting to start and unsuccessful. No rhyme or reason to this issue.took possession of the car 10-13-15 I think it is a lemon. I have a video of what happens dont think I can upload to this website.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Dec 032015

RAV4

After fueling, gas splattered all over me and ruined my clothing. This is a rental car.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jul 282015

RAV4

After gassing up in a station (full tank) and the gas nozzle clicked to a stop, soon as extracting the nozzle from the Rav4, fuel sprays with a force of pressure from the gas tank towards the person holding the nozzle. After this event happened the third time, we brought the Rav4 back to Toyota to be checked. Was returned to us the next day with an ok result. But the next 2 to 5 weeks the same problem happened, so we requested that a replacement Rav4 be given us - but Toyota refused stating that with the warranty, they will now perform a rigid test - the results of which confirmed the problem of gas sprays. We just got back the Rav4, and Toyota said they replaced the gas tank with a new one and saying that the old one had "a factory defect wherein the tank flapper was not closing properly. I am putting this on record on this report, for further investigation of NHTSA for the safety of other owners.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Mar 122015

RAV4

Driving on slight grade at approx. 55 mph. Attempted to pass car in front of me. Checked left lane, semi about 50-75 yards back. Pressed down gas pedal and nothing. It was like the car went into neutral. Meanwhile semi is approaching. Pumped pedal a few times nothing semi has to slow down because I am slowing down instead of accelerating. Finally pedal catches and car accelerates. This has happened about 5 times since I got this car new in January, Toyota dealer service person says this is normal as everything is done by computer now, not hardwire. Computers are exceptionally fast so I don't buy it. He did admit that another Rav4 driver had complained about the same thing I did. He advised me to hold the pedal down and the acceleration will kick it. Tried it. Did not do anything. Very worried. Plus semi driver must think I'm an idiot.

- Mililani, HI, USA