2016 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota RAV4:

2016 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Apr 182016

Toyota Rav4 limited-at all times of incidences this vehicle was in motion. Safety issue!!! 1. I purchased the vehicle March 26, 2016, to commute to new job. 2. highway-warning 1 on apx 4/4 Monday (9 days after purchase) "check Toyota park assist have vehicle checked by a dealer" the cause was snow on sensors....since we are in Montana there will be snow on sensors at least 8 months a year. 4. highway-warning 2 on apx 4/18/16 "AWD system malffunction 2 wheeldrive mode engaged dealer said loose gas cap caused this. 5. hiway-apx 4/12/16-4/14/16 I was passing a double car hauler. The car hauler was going about 50-60 on incline around a corner. I was going 80 (speed limit) with 2 vehicles behind me at the same speed. We were all passing the car hauler. All of a sudden warning sounds in front of car went off and car braked to almost an immediate stop then alarms in back of cars were going off because the cars behind me were coming up on my rear. I pressed the gas and the brake and nothing, turned the wheel toward left and car started to go. I am fearful of this vehicle. I am a widow and am afraid to put my children in it. I parked the car after this incident and contacted Toyota manufacturer. They rejected repurchase. I had been in constant contact with dealer (over 20 logged calls and almost 100 texts) they offered to trade vehicle at $28K for a vehicle that was 2 weeks old. I owed $34K on it. That is a loss of $6000 in 2 weeks on a vehicle with safety issues. The car had 63 miles on it when I drove it off the lot, I drove from dealership to home which was 225+ miles. Then I commuted from home to new job from (80 miles each way to work) from March 28-April 18=16 work days and 1 or 2 overtime days/visit friends (3,168 miles) I am at about 3,300 miles now.

- Helena, MT, USA

Mar 182016

Noticed the brandnew 2016 Rav4 xle pulls to the right strongly after 3 days owning the car with 200 miles. Went to the dealer twice and did 2 alignments and cross tire rotation. The service admits the pulls and claim they fixed it the 1st time. However actually nothing is changed. Still pulls to the right, not any better. Come back again and the same technician tried to align and rotate again. We tested drive and still found it. The dealer's lead technician mentioned he did everything he can but still cannot fix it. He opened a case to Toyota Corp to investigate. Me and the technician together drove another identical new Rav4 (with same msrp) and both of us do not find the pulls on this one. So the problem is just with the one I purchased. This adds a lot of stress and distraction as it needs constant adjusting the steering wheel. It is a safety issue due to the extra distraction. It is not a normal pull. It pulls heavily and even turning the steering wheel a little bit left, within 3 seconds the car will go to the right on every lane of all types of road, consistantly. I owned several other Toyota (some are 1 year new) and none of them has this issue. (this is after all realignment!!!) very disappointed with this brand new car and introduces a lot of hassles after spending 27K on it!!! because tire/alignment are not the issues I expect some defective parts, however the dealer say they cannot fix it...

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA