2001 Toyota Sequoia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 182016

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle independently swerved without warning. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the frame of the vehicle was corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the lower control bracket was corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lisbon, CT, USA

May 202016

Toyota 2001 Sequoia frame rot May 20th, I was driving with, my daughter. The car shook back and forth. I drove to our mechanic. They called saying the frame was horribly rusted and was not drivable. Said it was a miracle myself and child were not in a devastating, catastrophic, deadly situation that day. Toyota refuses to do anything about it.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Jun 302015

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. When the contact attempted to change one of the tires, he was unable to remove the faulty tire. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who was unable to mount the vehicle for diagnostic testing because the entire frame was rotted out. There were no warning indicators. The dealer stated that it was dangerous to drive the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but did not respond. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 171,289.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 092016

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the contact lost control of the vehicle and nearly got into an accident. The contact stated that the frame of the vehicle was completely rusted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the vehicle was brought to the dealer in 2000 for frame inspection, and it was diagnosed that the frame was intact and did not require repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 250,000. The VIN was not available.

- Garwin, IA, USA

Aug 012015

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. While driving, there was an abnormal noise underneath the vehicle. The contact discovered extreme severe rust and deteriorating with big holes underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Grasonville, MD, USA

Sep 212012

On September 12, 2012 I had my 2001 Toyota Sequoia with 170,334 miles serviced at prime Toyota in West roxbury MA due to the recall for frame corrosion. It was determined by the manufacturer that the frame qualified for rust prevention coating which the dealership performed the application. On June 12, 2015 I had performed preventative maintenance on same vehicle now with 225,345 miles the inspection of frame revealed several sites of rust throughout the frame in some cases the rust has rotted through. I was advised since the manufacturer previously performed preventive measures in 2012 they are no longer liable and would not replace frame at their cost. Hence my complaint for a fair resolution. I am aware this is a major issue with similar vehicles by the manufacturer. The attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

- Boston, MA, USA

Apr 092014

2001 Toyota Sequoia was recalled due to corrosion of the frame. All parts such as the back plates for the brakes, tie rod ends, stabilizer bars, and many more attached had rust when it went into the shop. However, Toyota did not care that the rust had spread. I could have wrecked several times due to the negligence of Toyota. It has been costly and the car is not the same since the transfer of the frame. Rust spreads as cancer and is as deadly when it is under your car. I will have to spend thousands of dollars to ensure the safety of my family.

- Brevard, NC, USA

Aug 292014

TL-the contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the contact had driven over a bump on the road and suddenly loss control of the vehicle, which shifted to the right independently. The contact attempted to maintain control of the vehicle, decreased the speed and coasted to the emergency lane. The contact and passengers had exited the vehicle to perform a brief inspection and noticed that that stabilizer bar from the rear axle was corroded and was detached. The entire sub frame was fractured. The vehicle was towed to the residence. The contact had contacted the dealer to explain the failure and the dealer informed the contact that there was a voluntary recall for the sub frame, however, there was nothing they could do because the recall had expired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and they informed the contact that the voluntary recall was expired and no one was injured and no actions could be taken to accomodate him. The approximate failure mileage was 190,

- Berlin, CT, USA

Apr 082013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I took my truck to the nearest dealer located near my home and I took my recall letter I must of sat there for 2 hours waiting for someone to speak to me about this recall issue but got the run around for 2 more hours finally a rep approached me and asked if I could come back another day. I requested a letter or some kind of document to verify my compliance with the letter I received but was denied. My spare tire fell off during this accident thank god no one was hurt.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for the replacement of the subframe due to corrosion however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle failed to disengage from four-wheel drive and the braking system would feel as if it was constantly and independently engaging. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who advised the contact that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware. The approximate failure and current mileage was 184,286.

- Framingham , MA, USA

Mar 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Clear coat of the exterior paint is just peeling on it's own.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Oct 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was notified by Toyota that my 2001 Sequoia was part of a limited service campaign for 2001 to 2004 Sequoias. Certain of these Sequoias experienced more than normal¯corrosion to the vehicle frame. I took the car to molle Toyota in Kansas City for inspection. I was informed that my vehicle did have a hole in the frame and qualified for a frame replacement. Pictures were taken. I was promised copies but have not received them. Apparently Tundra and the Tacoma vehicles were also previously recalled for frame rust due to using inferior metal which rusted from the inside out and by the time it was visible it was too late to correct. Specifically relevant is the fact that following an investigation by NHTSA in October 2009. Toyota issued a regional recall that covered 110,000 2000-2003 Toyota Tundra vehicles. The Sequoia and Tundra are built using the same frame and may be built on the same assembly line, and probably use the same steel for the frame. Why was the Sequoia not accounted for in the previous inquires and recalls? dealerships must have known of the problem for the Tundra and the Sequoia vehicles. Yet no one informed owners. No one inspected the Sequoia. This is clear negligence. This was known since at least 2009. Since that time I have put a lot of money into this vehicle. Upon learning of the defect I explored the possibility of trading the vehicle in. I disclosed the frame problem as part of this. No dealer wanted the vehicle. The suggestion was to sell the vehicle myself. I find it particularly troubling that the molle Toyota dealership actually suggested that it might be necessary for me to sign a waiver in order to take the vehicle out of the dealership. The waiver was to hold Toyota harmless should something result as a result of the defect. I was shocked when in talking to the case manger assigned to my complaint she repeated this request.

- Overland Park , KS, USA

Jun 242013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the exterior rear lift gate latch became fractured and detached from the vehicle. There was not an interior latch to open the lift gate. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 71,380.

- Greentown, PA, USA

Jul 112012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact noticed severe rust corrosion within the main frame. There was a limited service campaign issued by the manufacturer however, the vehicle was ineligible for repairs under the service campaign as a result of not being registered in the particular states that the manufacturer was servicing. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 5/22/13

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Jan 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle frame failure due to excessive rust. Frame recalled after we received a letter to have frame inspected. Local dealer inspected and found it qualifies for recall and can be replaced, however, the manifold and catalyst, and timing belt, etc. Likely will be damaged in frame replacement since they are rusted to frame. The quote to replace those items more than vehicle is worth--car is totaled due to failing parts and rust. We filed a complaint with Toyota and we were politely told that only the frame is covered in recall. Very disappointed that Toyota will not give us any compensation toward another vehicle since this vehicle is now totaled in it's value (if exhaust system needs to be replaced in addition to frame). We are proceeding with replacement and will see whether the existing exhaust system can be salvaged. If it is damaged beyond repair, we have no other alternative but to replace the vehicle at our own expense.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Dec 212012

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that he received notification of a manufacturer's recall in regard to frame rust. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where the technician confirmed that the frame was indeed rusted. In addition to the frame rust, the shocks, exhaust and the power steering lines were also found to be rusted. The dealer would only replace the frame. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that they would not provide any assistance with repairs to any component of the vehicle other than the frame. The failure and current mileages were approximately 78,500. The VIN was unavailable... updated 02-07-13

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 272012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Rusted frame was found by mechanic during a oil change.

- Pittsfield, MA, USA

Jun 152012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Premature rusting of undercarriage frame that fails state inspection. Poses safety issues and a hazard to other drivers as catastrophic failure may occur if this is not addressed. Appears to be endemic especially in rust belt states.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 132012

Sequoia 8-cyl

2001 Toyota Sequoia 91,000 miles excessive frame rust, rear end housing replaced at 74,000 miles as goodwill by Toyota excessive rust noted at this time seems like poor quality steel.

- Willington, CT, USA

Apr 152009

Sequoia 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The entire undercarriage is completely rusted out. Front to back, side to side. The rust has spread to the spare and I fear the spare could one day fall off and cause serious damage to vehicles and humans. Our Sequoia was bought new with only 14 miles on it at the time. It has been mostly garaged kept and currently has less than 60,000 miles. The exterior and interior are in excellent condition. We purchased the truck in Dec 2000 and we 1st noticed the rust in 2008 when a service person brought it to our attention while he was rotating our tires.

- Clinton, MD, USA