2004 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 192010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While the contact was driving 5 mph attempting to park into a parking space, the vehicle had suddenly accelerated without warning causing the contact to crash into a nearby gate. No one was injured and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the vehicle was operating normally. There were no prior warnings. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 12,500.

- Palentine, IL, USA

Oct 122007

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver owned a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While driving 60 mph, the driver crashed into a semi-automatic truck. The driver and a passenger in the front seat were killed as a result of the crash. The contact stated that there were no indications that the brake was applied and that the vehicle may have accelerated forward. The current and failure mileages were not available. Updated 04/22/10 updated 06/14/10. Updated 9/29/11

- Chadds Ford, PA, USA

Feb 052009

Sienna

After changing the front brake pads on our 2004 Toyota Sienna sometime early 2009 and while it was propped up on metal ramp, my daughter placed the transmission in reverse applied some gas, it instantly took off at a high speed in reverse. The car traveled approx 40 feet backing into a ditch which at that time it stopped possibly because of the sudden abrupt ditch. I her father was watching and asked "what did you do" she stated "nothing it just took off" this was a year before I heard of the Toyota problems so I just shrugged it off as a weird incident. Now hearing other incidences I suddenly remembered my incident. I only report it now because it may help with any investigation as to what the problem is. I have not yet heard of the accelerating problem happening in reverse like it happened to me.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 112010

Sienna 6-cyl

Sudden unexplained acceleration and brake failure on my 2004 Toyota Sienna. I was almost at a stop at a traffic light when the light turned green. I pressed the accelerator. My van shot off! it accelerated very rapidly. I pressed the brake. They did not engage. I pressed the brake again. They went to floor. With oncoming traffic on my left and a car in the right lane, I had nowhere to go. I hit the truck in front of me who was stopping at the next traffic light. Had I been on a curvy road or the interstate, I could have been seriously injured. I did not look at the speedometer to see how fast the van got. I was too busy trying to find a way not to hit someone. This was very scary. Updated 04/22/10 updated 05/10/10 updated IVOQ 05/12/10 updated 09/28/10

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Mar 052010

Sienna

3-5-10 at about 11:39am I was making a left turn into a parking space in front of my condominium when my 2004 Toyota Sienna suddenly lurched forward and jumped the parking stop and hit a cement wall. I tried to brake the car and they did not work. I had new brake pads on 3-1-10 and my car serviced. The car was towed to beachside auto body repair, indian harbour beach, fl 32937. Front end damage. We asked that they have a mechanic inspect the car.

- Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Mar 042010

Sienna

I drive a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle. On 3/4/10 at 1030 am, I was coming to a stop light on broken land pkwy. As I completed a full stop, my Sienna tried to accelerate while my foot was depressing the brake pedal. The vehicle lurched but did not stall out and I was able to continue on my way. During the rest of the morning, I did not experience any more acceleration trouble the rest of the day. I did inform my husband and he suggested I research 2004 Toyota Sienna acceleration. I did that and found a variety of complaints from 2004 Toyota Sienna owners on several internet auto web sites.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Dec 072007

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While driving with the cruise control engaged and the vehicle accelerated beyond the set speed. When the vehicle will decreased in speed the sensors detected another vehicle approaching. The contact switched lanes and the vehicle would start to accelerate up to 10 mph beyond the set speed. After the vehicle has passed the approaching vehicle, the vehicle will decrease back to the set speed. The contact has not contacted the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Sep 222006

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna ce. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph. When releasing the foot from the accelerator pedal, the vehicle momentarily continued to accelerate. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The contact was under the impression the failure was due to driver error. The failure and current mileages were approximately 30,000.

- Quinsey, MA, USA

May 152009

Sienna

I drove a 2004 Toyota Sienna. My car is not part of the recall. However, I had an incident similar to the gas acceleration. This incident happened last year, where I was in mcdonald parking lot. I took my foot off the gas pedal to slow down in order to park, suddenly the car accelerated (about 20 mph) and I had to step on the brake but the car did not slow down. I had to step on the brake the second time for the car to stop. This incident last only a few seconds. I did not have any more incident after that one.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Sep 122009

Sienna

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna. I purchased it Aug, 2009 and 2 weeks later while flooring the accelerator, the engine accelerated the vehicle spontaneously after pulling my foot off the pedal. I frantically stomped on the pedal and approximately 3 seconds passed until the engine decreased R.P.M. admittedly I had just previously placed an "after market" floor mat in the driver compartment and removed it immediately when reaching my destination. However, this floor mat and the original one were nowhere near the gas pedal. I can only explain the reason why I never reported this until now as: I really don't ever have to "floor" the accelerator anyway. In light of the ongoing exposure in the media of these types of problems with Toyota. I am compelled to voice my experience in hopes that this may avoid harm and even save lives. My Toyota currently is not included in a recall related to this issue, even though other reports are already published in the media similar to my experience with the Sienna. Personally, I believe that the floor mat recall was a hoax, and the claim that the gas pedal sensor, made by a U.S. firm, being at fault is just a deliberate distraction to the costly truth. I believe Toyota has electronic, and probably even computer related problems with it's vehicles, and if all of this due process goes as it should, my prediction is this: All Toyota with "drive by wire" systems will be recalled, and it will involve more than just pedal sensors and floor mats. Seriously, people are in jail because Toyota have accelerated out of control, but what concerns me the most is that I have a wife and four children that I love more than can be described, that depend on this Toyota to function safely for us on a daily bases. Please use this complaint to make an improvement in safety.

- Elk River, MN, USA

May 042008

Sienna

In may of 2008, I was attempting to pull my 2004 Toyota Sienna into the garage. I was idling when suddenly the vehicle took off. I was standing with both feet on the brake and could not stop. I crashed through the rear of the garage and hit a tree which ripped the right tire and axle from the drive shaft. At that point, I can to a stop however the engine continued to race until I turned off the vehicle. My 2 year old daughter had been right outside the back door of the garage when I crashed through. She was somehow pushed off to the side. The back portion of the wall and the back door went about 30 feet into the backyard. The tree I hit was about 45 feet behind the garage. I traveled for another 50 feet after hitting the tree and losing my right front tire. When we had the vehicle looked at by the Toyota dealership in sioux city, ia, they said nothing was wrong with the vehicle. Since it has been repaired, the electronic speed control will quit working at times and there are error lights that show up on the dashboard. I believe it is an ESC light and the check engine light that show up when the speed control quits working. Once these lights go away, the speed control will continue working again.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Aug 042003

Sienna

Our family purchased a brand new 2004 Toyota Sienna AWD and had countless issues with it. The most serious issue was - random unpredictable acceleration responses. We contacted Toyota Canada & Japan in 2003. There is absolutely 100% no doubt in my mind, or my wife's mind, that the Toyota product line has something wrong electronically in their accelerator pedal or transmission sensors - or the software that interfaces with them. We did not have sticky gas pedals or floor mat issues - we had a vehicle that didn't operate the way we were asking it to. The vehicle never consistently responded to the actual pressure being placed on the accelerator pedal. A light press in parking lot driving would sometimes result in what felt like full throttle acceleration and when trying to turn across traffic at an intersection, or during merging - the vehicle would hesitate and then move the vehicle when it was no longer safe to do so.. Toyota said " they did not consider this behavior a safety issue " it was only " a nuisance problem ". first our dealership ignored the problem. Then they said " my wife didn't teach the vehicle to drive properly - it had a smart learning transmission you know ". they finally admitted there was a problem after we continued to voice our concern over several near miss incidents with the vehicle. In one incidence, while on the highway using cruise control - the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated full throttle into a corner at over 140 kph forcing us onto the shoulder and almost off the road. It was a nerve shattering experience. Our Toyota dealer finally admitted a similar acceleration problem existed in the Camry / corolla lines and that it was transmission software related. After several months of the run around from Toyota with no fix in sight - being told by the owner of the dealership to drive the vehicle in 3rd gear to minimize the surges until a software fix was created - we walked away from the vehicle.

- Calgary , 00, USA

Apr 112009

Sienna

1. Toyota Sienna ce driver's door welded part (inside door) snap off causing loud thud sound when opening & closing the door. I found out in the internet that before there was a lot of complaints about it but Toyota did not order a recall & now they want me fix it in a shop at my own expense. 2. sudden acceleration from idling during traffic cruising.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Jul 112009

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. While the contact was driving 70 mph using the cruise control the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact had to apply extreme pressure to the brakes and engage the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The contact noticed prior the failure that the vehicle would surge without warning whenever traveling up an incline using the cruise control. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership. The current and failure mileages were 73099.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jun 092007

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions. There was pressure applied to the accelerator pedal, followed by an unexpected acceleration and surge. The driver applied excessive force to the brake pedal and the vehicle slowed down. The vehicle was able to continue operation with caution. The failures occurred intermittently. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunctions. The failure mileage was 47,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Haven, MO, USA

Dec 182009

Sienna

Upon engaging the brake while pulling into a parking spot at our local pizza shop in glenwood springs, co, our Toyota Sienna accelerated rapidly and hit the brick building 10 feet away. There were no personal injuries but damage to the car and a window in the pizza shop were significant. The car was still going after the crash and if there had not been a brick wall to stop the car I fear what would have happened. The incident was immediately reported to the police and the local Toyota dealer. Though we love the car we are afraid to drive it anymore, nor are we willing to sell it considering what could happen. We need a proper way to dispose of it.

- Snowmass Village, CO, USA

Dec 262008

Sienna

I suspect the cruise control of my 2004 minivan Toyota Sienna ce has similar issue found in recent prius reports. 1. when cruise control is used on uphill road conditions 2. the speed can be accelerated to over 5 miles/hr more than the cruise control setting. For example, when I set the speed to 70 miles/hr, at a little longer uphill road, the speed will drop first (like 67miles/hr) and then accelerate in order to get back to 70miles/hr speed target. But the cruise control system continue accelerating after passing 70 miles/hr and could be as high as 75miles/hr. 3. nothing had been done, just be cautious by myself. After reading similar complaints on prius of Toyota, I feel this may be the same issue.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jan 042010

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was stuck down to the floor causing unintended acceleration up to 50 mph. He put the vehicle in neutral and turned off the ignition and kicked the pedal a few times and it resumed the original position. He took the vehicle to the dealership and the vehicle was inspected. He was informed that the dealer could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle had not been repaired to-date. The contact had not experienced the failure again up until the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 98,000. The failure mileage was approximately 96,000.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Oct 012004

Sienna

2004 Toyota Sienna xle limited- uncontrolled cruise control acceleration/deceleration. The problem has continuously occurred since purchase in September 2004. Dealership denies problems. Dynamic cruise controlsystem causes my car to dangerously accelerate and decelerate. When laser detects nearby vehicle, the car will brake abruptly. Likewise, once the nearby car is no longer in laser range, the car will accelerate abruptly to return to the set cruise control speed. I have almost been hit from behind multiple times on freeways because of the abrupt deceleration. I have been caught off guard several times by the acceleration and nearly lost control of the vehicle. The only way to stop the rapid acceleration and deceleration is to press the brake in order to disengage the cruise control system. I have never driven a car with such a dangerous cruise control system. I no longer use my cruise control system because I fear that I'll be unable to disengage the system and lose control of the vehicle.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 122009

Sienna

I had a sudden acceleration experience in a 2004 Toyota Sienna van. I am filing this complaint because I am concerned that the recently announced Toyota recalls do not include the Sienna model. The incident occurred while I was parking my roommate's Sienna van. I pulled into a parking spot. Unhappy with the angle in which I was parked, I put the vehicle into reverse, backed up slowly then put the vehicle into drive and started to ease into the parking spot while straightening the wheel. As the vehicle moved forward, the engine suddenly made a loud roaring noise and leapt forward out of control, jumping a parking curb and up over the sidewalk in front of the restaurant. I placed both feet immediately on the brake but couldn't stop the vehicle. What stopped the vehicle was the brick wall of the restaurant. After the incident, we had the vehicle examined by a Toyota dealer who did diagnostic testing and could not determine a cause for the sudden acceleration. This event occurred prior to news reports of a possible problem with Toyota vehicles. When the Toyota problem became public last fall, I contacted Toyota and officially "registered" my experience with the Sienna van (Toyota reference #0911107062). I also called my Toyota dealer in my town (macomb il) who admitted there was another Sienna van brought to him that also experienced a sudden acceleration after the one I was driving. My state farm insurance agent is also aware of that other Sienna experience. I am not seeking reimbursement but I am concerned that the Sienna model should also be considered for the pedal assembly recall. At the time, this Sienna had approximately 78,000 miles on it. Just for the record, I am a 2007 Toyota Camry owner and have not had any issues with sudden acceleration in this vehicle (approximately 22,000 miles), thank you.

- Macomb, IL, USA