2005 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Oct 152014

Tacoma

The catalytic converter shield on my 2005 Tacoma fell off while driving and almost caused an accident. After picking up the large metal parts and inspecting under the vehicle, I noticed that near to where the catalytic converter sits, that there was extensive corrosion on the truck's frame and even a large hole. I am extremely worried about the safety of the vehicle and am afraid that the frame may crumple while driving causing an accident or death. Toyota is aware of the issue. I contacted the corporate offices, but was told that Toyota is only replacing the frame on vehicles registered in what they have designated as a "snow state". I purchased my Toyota at a dealership in Illinois (a "snow state") and have done a lot of traveling within the "snow states", yet because I live 25 miles away on the Missouri side, Toyota is refusing to cover the repair. The woman from Toyota corporate did not seem to care when I told her that I was worried about the safety of the vehicle and that it could result in an accident or death. I offered to email the photos of the frame corrosion, but was rejected. Toyota needs to cover this repair on all vehicles with frame corrosion regardless of the state they live in.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Nov 262014

Tacoma

I live in ne Pennsylvania and was just informed by my mechanic that my truck may not pass another inspection due to frame rust. Specifically along side the catalytic converter. My dealer said there is a limited recall in the new england states but not pa. Will Toyota expand the recall?

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

Jun 202014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Corrosion on frame rails affecting structural integrity of frame. Rust holes are present.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Nov 132014

Tacoma 6-cyl

Due to a faulty paint or manufacturing process my vehicle is experiencing excessive paint chipping, not caused by external forces. The manufacturer's local dealer as well as local reputable body shops, are aware of the problem. The manufacturer was contacted without resolution. While researching my particular situation, I came across numerous write ups of other consumers experiencing the same issue.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 262014

Tacoma

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle had developed severe corrosion and a hole near the drivers side tire. The contact who was a certified mechanic stated that the frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 194,000. Pam

- Raphine, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Tacoma

2005 Tacoma resided in pa from purchase in 2004 until July 2011 & is now exhibiting frame perforation in the area of both exhaust resonators and splitting in the C-channel rails near the rear wheels.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 022013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The tailgate of the vehicle lacks the required amount of structural integrity to serve its intended purpose. Since the tailgate is designed to be opened to a flat position for loading or unloading item(s) placed in the bed of the truck it will certainly require a certain amount of strength for this purpose. I noticed that my tail gate was no longer straight across when in the close position but had a concave appearance. I worried that the tail gate may come unlatched while in the up position or worse by collapsing by folding in the middle if using it to carry a partial load. I load my 4-wheeler in the back of the truck at times and due to the short bed have to leave the rear tires resting on the tail gate. The weight, although not excessive, seemed to possibly be the cause of the distress on the tailgate. I removed the interior cover as well as the top tailgate cover for inspection. My inspection did reveal two creases in the tailgate top section (when in the close position) about 18" from the right top and the same distance from the left top side. I called Toyota to see if any possible recall was in place to address this situation and they said there was no such recall. I asked if they recommended any remedy for the condition that I described and they suggested a company that does aftermarket truck modifications. If this tailgate isn't designed to carry a load than a permanent warning sign should be clearly viewed from the tailgate position at or near the handle or the flat surface when the tailgate is lowered. Since it is apparent that at times a load will travel across the tail gate moving into the bed cavity or be required to rest on the tailgate, it should meet all load requirement that could be reasonably anticipated.

- Pickens, MS, USA

Nov 302013

Tacoma 6-cyl

On the top part of my hood on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma pre-runner. The paint is chipping/ flaking off to where the metal is being shown. The paint everywhere else on my truck is fine, except on the trim around the wheel-well is fading. The other problem is with the rear console latch which closes and opens the console broke after eight months of driving my truck. The latch did feel like it was sticky until I closed the top part of the console and the latch broke off. I was able to take it off myself but I eventually found out in order to replace that part I would have to buy an entire new console for a part I took off in less than thirty seconds. Those are the only issues with my 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Took truck for inspection failed for multiple holes rusted thru frame am told I am not involved in any recall for frame replacement.

- Mocanaqua, PA, USA

Aug 272014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while receiving a state inspection, the mechanic noticed that there was corrosion on the frame. Prior to the inspection the dealer had also replaced the emergency brake line because corrosion was present as well the manufacturer was notified of the failure and the approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Walton, NY, USA

Jul 072014

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame of my 2005 Tacoma has developed a hole. I have only owned the vehicle since March of 2013, and have complained about it to the dealer since a month after buying it. The metal is flaking off all over the frame and Toyota has issued a limited service campaign, but they are claiming they can not do anything until they move the campaign to my area. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle. But I have to, and will not even let my family in it anymore. I have 4 years of payments and a truck that is wasting away. Please help push Toyota to move this campaign along as fast as possible, or make it a full recall.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jan 082014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame was rusted. Also, the contact mentioned that the motor mounts and the brackets were corroded. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 192,000.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Jun 122013

Tacoma

Bought a 2005 Toyota Tacoma, after having a look under the truck I noticed some rust on the frame, as I looked closer I found that the rust was so bad it was causing the frame to twist, I have contacted Toyota and in the first 2 emails they said they will do nothing so I asked to speak to someone higher up to resolve this issue there is no recall yet and I do not know why. Other people I know with same issue same year and model truck as mine have had there frames replaced by Toyota. The frame on a truck that is 9 years old should not be rusted out! how long till that make a recall" after some one is hurt bad or dies"

- Montana, AK, USA

Aug 232013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The frame is rusting and the door handles have rust stains bleeding all over the door.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Apr 262014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for an unrelated repair. The technician stated that the subframe of the vehicle was corroded and rusted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Apr 302014

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage and current mileage was 189,000.

- Stanford , VA, USA

May 012014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. This is my second Toyota truck and I do really love my truck. My last pickup was a 1999 ext pickup with a lot of rust on it when I qualified for a buyback deal. Last week I brought my 2005 into the kenny ross Toyota dealer in coraoplis, pa to have them inspect my vehicle. The inspection revealed a large structural hole in the frame of the vehicle. It is on the driver┐'s side where the frame rail curves down. This is one thing that is keeping it from getting a inspection sticker. This is a major safety issue and I would not recommend driving the vehicle in its current condition due to the structure of the frame. This is a serious safety issue. If this section of my frame was to fail, which I believe is completely possible; it will result in a major accident. I would like to believe that I can trust Toyota usa to take care of this issue. I am at this point basically left with a beautiful, great running and completely unsafe Toyota Tacoma. I feel strangled, violated, and taken advantage of. $25,000 plus investment on a truck that is a possible scrap heap at 9 years and 167K miles. I can't sell it and get a fair value knowing the frame is rotten. The dealer won't take it back on a trade in either. I put in a claim that Toyota bears no responsibility for the frame since it is out of warranty. All they is offered me $1500 toward a new Toyota vehicle which doesn't help my current problem. The dealership seen potential frame issue and didn't even take any photos of it and/or then pass them onto a field rep. As I understand, if the field rep deems the photos of interest, an appointment will be scheduled for when S/he is next at the dealership. The field rep can either then reject or escalate it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 242014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I have noticed excessive rust on the frame of my 2005 Toyota Tacoma and also rust hole through the frame/leaf spring mount on the right side. I did contact and send pictures to Toyota customer experience center file# stating that the vehicle is out of warranty and they wont repair this unsafe condition that so many Tacoma's are having. When one of these Tacoma's gets into an accident with the frames compromised by the rust it will cause severe injury or death to the occupants and this has to be fixed now.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Feb 012012

Tacoma

2005 Toyota Tacoma first issue is the steering, on several occasions while turning the steering has "locked up", the steering gets extremity hard to turn in the middle of driving. After my own research I discovered the universal joint on the steering shaft will lock up or get extremely hard to turn if not greased. The joint is open to the elements and has no protective boot over it. There is no maintenance procedure from Toyota for the joint. This is extremely dangerous and could cause a crash. If the operator does not have the upper body strength to force the steering wheel to turn when the joint locks up it may cause an accident. This issue is often misdiagnosed by mechanics cause expensive unnecessary repairs (new steering rack). The second issue is frame rust. The frames are a poor design, have no protective coating and are made of inferior metal. A simple internet search for "Tacoma frame rust" will show plenty of horror stories of frames literally rusting away from the bottom of the truck. The oldest 2nd generation Tacoma (2005 production year) are now 9 years old, a frame on a 9 year old vehicle having rust issues is completely unacceptable. This is a serious safety hazard. Along with the frames rusting away all components attached to the frame can fail. (leaf springs, shocks, motor mounts etc). Toyota did the right thing with the 1st generation Tacoma that had this issue. They issued recalls and bought back trucks. Consumers were led to believe the frame rust issues were corrected on the second generation Tacoma but they were not. As of now Toyota is handling frame rust issues on a case by case basis. Some people are fighting to get new frames and some people are left with a truck that is rusting away with no help from Toyota. Frames rusting away to the point that a hole the size of a hand can fit is a major safety issue.

- Glen Rock, PA, USA

Apr 082006

Tacoma 6-cyl

The frame of the truck is rusting out at an accelerated rate. The welds are rusting out at high stress points (engine mounts and suspension areas). Toyota has a history of this problem with the Tacoma.

- Edgewood, KY, USA