2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Aug 312011

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while parking his foot became stuck between the accelerator pedal and the floor mat; as a result the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a pole. A police report was filed and the driver did not sustained any injuries. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing nor was the manufacturer made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Jul 192009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to 65 mph. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by applying extreme pressure to the brake pedals. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor was it repaired. The dealer was contacted and advised him that the floor mat may have caused the failure. The driver changed the floor mats to a flatter version. The failure continued to occur on an intermittent basis for three years. The failure mileage was approximately 3,000. Updated 9/13/11 updated 2/17/12

- Pepeekeo, HI, USA

Feb 122011

Tacoma

While driving my 2006 Tacoma double cab 4X4 automatic with 4X4 engaged and travelling 10 mph the truck suddenly lunged forward as the accelerator stuck causing the vehicle to crash into a building. I have no floormats and did not have my foot on the gas pedal. Dealer checked and said no problem could be found.

- Martensville, 00, USA

Feb 232011

Tacoma

TL - the contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while pulling in into a parking lot the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was stopped when it impacted a house. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was contacted who stated that they would send someone to inspect the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 54,000.

- Middletown , CA, USA

Apr 062010

Tacoma 4-cyl

My 06 Toyota Tacoma has accelerated two times, I contacted Toyota and NHTSA. Got the run around from Toyota, like everyone else and the NHTSA did not do anything..

- Florida, FL, USA

Sep 272010

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) and the vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs. Approximately one month later while the contact was driving in reverse, the contact attempted to shift into drive with the brakes depressed when the vehicle exhibited an unusually loud noise. The vehicle then abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where they performed a diagnostic test yet the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The dealer purchased the vehicle back from the contact. The current and failure mileage was approximately 37,000. Updated 03/07/11 the consumer stated the problem was not due to a floor mat or sticking gas pedal, it was something electrical within the acceleration system. Updated 05/06/11

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Jan 212011

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when the vehicle abnormally accelerated until the brakes were applied. After a few moments, the contact was able to continue driving. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired for the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal). The failure and current mileage was 78,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sanger, CA, USA

Dec 202010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact was stopped at a light when the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. A police report was available. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and stated they would give the contact a call back but have not yet returned the call. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Mel, KY, USA

Oct 142010

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for repair for recall 09V388000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal). The dealer repaired the vehicle by shortening the pedal. After the contact picked the vehicle up, she was shifting from drive to park when the vehicle suddenly accelerated into the garage. The contact injured her back. There was no police report filed. The contact called the dealer in regards to the failure (what was discussed was unknown). The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 64,703. Updated 1/25/11

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 102009

Tacoma

2006 Tacoma has been in dealership on 3 different occasions for out of control sudden acceleration problems. The first event was in 2009, I was taking a friend home at approx. 11 pm when vehicle suddenly accelerated itself to maximum speed and we were fortunately able to avoid collision and vehicle rollover and bring vehicle to a stop. The second even happened on labor day weekend 2010. Vehicle was backing a trailer onto property with guidance of friend and sudden acceleration occurred. My friend had to jump out of harms way. The truck suddenly accelerated two more times on this day backing the truck back into the driveway. Toyota dealership towed the vehicle away. The vehicle had been modified on two recalls for sudden acceleration before the accidents on labor day weekend. The vehicle was kept by Toyota for 6 weeks and they said they could not duplicate the problem and said nothing was wrong with it. I have to pay for this vehicle, I drive it and I am scared to death to drive it because I don't know when it's going to happen again and possibly hurt or even kill myself or somebody else. This vehicle should not be on the road. I avoid and continue to avoid driving with any passengers including my wife and son. I have written testimonies from both the passenger and the person I almost run over.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Mar 132006

Tacoma

While I was driving and approaching an intersection I heard cellular phone interference through my vehicle speakers. The traffic light changed to red. I placed my foot onto the brake pedal which was not effective due to the continued acceleration of my vehicle, and simultaneously hearing loud engine noise due to the acceleration. In attempt to avoid vehicles I struck and knocked over two cemented posts, avoided to drive into a building, I still continuing to accelerate and drive onto a sidewalk where I was able to place my vehicle into neutral to stop the acceleration and turning off my vehicle. I have had two other situations with acceleration problems approximately 12 months apart. One involved striking two vehicles onto oncoming traffic when losing control of my vehicle. Second was when merging onto a interstate my vehicle continued to accelerate, I had time to check my floor mats for possible pedal obstruction which was clear, I placed my car into neutral where the RPM gauge of my vehicle went to the red for several seconds and then corrected itself to the idle position where I was able to place the vehicle back into drive and was able to continue as normal without any incident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 152007

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact was attempting to brake at a traffic stop when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into the rear of the vehicle ahead of his. There was no damage to the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken into the dealer where they stated that they could not duplicate the problem. The vehicle was traded because the contact believed the vehicle to be a safety hazard. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 19,000.

- T Or C , NM, USA

Feb 162008

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while driving at unknown speeds, the accelerator pedal fell into the floorboard and became stuck in the open throttle position. The vehicle began to abnormally accelerate up to 120 mph. The contact attempted to engage the emergency brake but to no avail. He then shifted into neutral and was able to maintain control of the vehicle until stopping. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure recurred four additional times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the accelerator pedal was replaced. The failure persisted. The contact stated the vehicle was left with the dealer and he did not feel safe operating the vehicle after the failure continued to recur. The contact refused to drive the vehicle. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The vehicle was not further repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was approximately 4,000 and the current mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jul 092010

Tacoma

This is the second incident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma, double cab. In Feb 09 the truck ran away on me after accelerating to pass another vehicle. RPM raged and truck would not slow down, it speed to over 100 mph, brakes locked. See previous report. I had it towed to the dealer, who called Toyota in and had the vehicle for two weeks. In the end they were not able to duplicate the problem. The dealer offered to buy it back for a ridiculous price, which I could not afford to accept seeing that we paid over $30,000 for the vehicle. I have driven it with kid gloves since, not trusting the vehicle at all. My family will not ride with me and my adult children refuse to allow their children to ride also. On July 9, 2010 I started the vehicle up and the engine was racing, RPM to 7, oscillating back and forth. I put it into gear and started out slowing, engine continued to race. I drove it for about 5 minutes, but felt very unsafe. I believed it would again accelerate out of control. Light did come on indicating to take to dealer immediately. This light did not come on for over 5 minutes. I called my dealer and they told me to have it towed in which I did and start a case with Toyota which I did. Truck remains at the dealership at this point.

- White Cloud, MI, USA

May 262010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving at 65 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck in the open throttle position. The contact attempted to dislodge the pedal to no avail. She began to apply steady yet firm pressure to the brake pedal and the accelerator released itself as the vehicle decreased in speed. The dealer was testing the accelerator pedal for vibrations when the failure recurred. The manufacturer sent two investigators to further assess the failure. The accelerator pedal was replaced. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Elkridge, UT, USA

Mar 202010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while braking from the speed of 25 mph for a traffic stop, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and the vehicle proceeded through the traffic stop. The contact immediately shut off the engine and when restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. Six months later, the exact failure occurred a second time causing the contact to crash into a mailbox. The vehicle flipped onto its side and crashed into a ditch. The contact was able to get the vehicle into an upright position. The police did not arrive. The contact suffered moderate injuries to the head, neck and knee. The vehicle sustained substantial body damage as well as damage to the exterior mirrors, turn signals and windshield. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for further investigation. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had significant concern of the safety hazard. The failure mileage was 79,000. Updated 08/24/10 updated 08/25/10

- Williston, FL, USA

Apr 052010

Tacoma

My 06 Tacoma has had two accelerations, the first time I ran across a traffic lane to the side of the road, the next time it was in a supermarket parking lot. Toyota checked the truck out, said all was fine. The next time Toyota had a tech. Look at it said it was fine, would not give me any paper work, at this point I was afraid to drive it, my family would not ride in it.tried to buy a Toyota, they would not work with me on the price, told Toyota that I was getting a new truck and wanted them to pay for one-half.they did not deny it, I sent them the invoice for $3500, have not heard from them at this date. Toyota has given me the run-around and this has been a hardship on me and my family, I like the truck, put alot of extra items on it, I was planning on having it a long time.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Sep 272009

Tacoma

S10 appropriate handling- courtesy copy of message to Mr. Toyoda from regarding Toyota acceleration 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle suddenly and without warning accelerated at a high rate of speed and crashed into a guardrail. The vehicle was totaled.

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Aug 012007

Tacoma

Ltr fwd on behalf of (al) her son who drives a 2006 Toyota Tacoma truck she purchased for his use has experienced sudden unintended acceleration as early as August 2007, reply attn. Bryan parker (envelope only) when the consumers son depressed the brake, the pedal went to the floor and it felt soft. After pumping the brakes and running off the road, he finally was able to get the truck stopped and shut it off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, however they were unable to find any problems.

- Magnolia Springs, AL, USA

Apr 082010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact came to a stop and when he took his foot off the brake pedal, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the rpms increased to 7000. The contact shifted into neutral, pulled over and shut off the engine. However, the engine continued to run. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealership where the aftermarket floor mat was found to be the cause of the problem. The contact did not believe that the floor mat was the problem. The failure mileage was 112,714. The current mileage was 116,740.

- Brick, NJ, USA