2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jul 122009

Tacoma 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma prerunner double cab 4X2 V6. I bought the truck new from the dealership and have experienced four instances where after pressing the gas pedal hard, thus into overdrive, the truck either kept speeding up or did not rev back down. 1st instance - about 6 months after buying the vehicle, I was entering the freeway and needed to speed up to enter into traffic at speed. I pressed the gas pedal hard enough to boost speed. As I entered traffic, the truck just kept speeding up. After applying a light brake, I pumped the gas pedal several times and it the transmission finally engaged and geared back down. 2nd instance - while leaving the freeway @ 65 mph I slowed to 45 mph and switched lanes to the right. Then I applied gas to speed up to merge and the truck did not slow down. Again the link between the throttle and the transmission did not seem to reaction as in a normal situation. I had to merge back because the would not slow down fast enough. After 4-5 seconds the truck slowed down. 3rd instance - again entering the freeway. I applied pressure to the gas pedal to speed up enough to enter the traffic. This time the throttle opened full bore. I put the truck in neutral, lightly applied the brake, and pumped the gas pedal. After 5 seconds the truck finally revved back down. I reached a speed of over 90 mph in this instance. 4th instance - driving uphill the car automatically increased throttle with a small amount of additional pressure to the pedal, the truck surged forward, again full bore. I used the same technique and it eventually slowed. This problem is definitely not a floor mat problem. I now drive my truck very gingerly so as not to replicate the issue. I have taken the truck to two dealerships, both have not been helpful or have recognized the problem. Saying that "your truck is not on the recall list we see here, call this Toyota number." I know that others with the same model have this problem.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 202009

I was have accident in Oct 2009, I was drive my 2006 Toyota Tacoma when my gas pedal was stuck in the carpet.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Nov 202009

Stuck accelerator pedal in 2006 Toyota Tacoma. No floor mats installed. Truck reached 110mph before I was able to get truck under control. No crash. Had reported to Toyota several times that I was having problems from the start. They said there were no problems or they could not re-create them. I have stopped driving the truck.

- Canton, GA, USA

Oct 222009

2006 Toyota Tacoma involved to accident on 10/22/09 where during the accident the accelerator stuck wide open on the ice. My foot was on the brake when truck stopped & the rear tires where still spinning. I had to turn off the ignition to get the wheels to stop spinning. The car I hit Honda Accord was totaled. It got knocked into the drainage ditch. Luckily no one was injured. At the time I didn't tell police about the accelerator problem. Not on the police report. I did advise the party I hit & the tow truck drivers. Also advised the body shop. Now my insurance went up[ $50 a month. I have a ticket and have to pay a fine. I immediately removed the floor mat when I got my truck back from the body shop. I believe Toyota is partially to blame for my accident. I started to slide on the ice & at some point the accelerator stuck wide open. This I'm sure made the accident much worse. Imagine being on ice with your accelerator stuck wide open. I was lucky no one was killed.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Aug 152009

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma pre-runner. I received a notice regarding the floor mat entrapment recall, however, the engine has over revved on one occasion requiring two feet on the brake and an immediate shift into neutral to disengage the accelerator. Now the accelerator is slow to return to idle and it often revs up while I'm trying to slow down, especially at lower speeds. I called the dealership today and was told that there was no recall for my vehicle and that there was no problem with my truck. I explained that I had received an official recall notice. The service rep. Re-stated that there was no problem with my truck. But there is! and floor mat is not the problem. It is so tightly secured to the floor by the factory connectors that it is, and has always been, a major pain to remove for cleaning. I don't take it out to clean because it is so hard to get disconnected. That is why I feel that the accelerator issues with my truck should be included in the second recall. I believe that this issue is more complex than is being stated. I felt that way when I received the floor mat recall notice and I feel stronger about this every time the RPM's rev and my foot is not on the pedal. The initial problem occurred before the floor mat recall notice arrived and continues intermittently. No accident or crash occurred, but the first time the pedal stuck wide open I was in a very small parking lot and would have hit the bartell's pharmacy building if I had not put it in neutral. I am awaiting notification about the first recall fix but remain extremely confident that it is not a floor mat issue.

- Everett, WA, USA

Dec 121995

My son took his new 3 month old 2006 Toyota Tacoma truck back to the dealer on 12-12-05 for "high idling" and "when accelerating customer having a hard time stopping it" according to the invoice.this vehicle went out of control two times. The first time it happened on a surface street speeding up from 40 mph to 80 mph and the second time he was on the highway. It sped up from 70 mph to 110. Both times my son shifted into neutral - instinctive reaction - and the truck did slow down. Had the traffic been bad, he and others, would have been killed for sure. Both times, he took his foot off of the accelerator and he could see it moving down towards the floor all by itself. It still has an idling problem. He was told that there was nothing wrong; by the dealer at the time. Nothing has been done to correct the problems with the high idling and accelerating problem. This model is not on the recall list. My son is deaf and he can be reached by email.

- Valencia, Ca. , CA, USA

Nov 072009

I was stopped at a light. 30 or so seconds went by and my 2006 Toyota Tacoma started moving forward, so I looked back & no car was pushing me. I depressed the brake further, now the tires in back started to spin (size 33 inch large off road tires) the brake was not holding my truck back, I started moving into the intersection. I have a lot of off road racing experience. I put the car in neutral turned the truck off. I then put it in park started the truck & drove to the dealership at Toyota of orange. They checked the truck out with a computer, noticed my car floor mat was connected. The dealer would not do anything and told me they could not help. I think its a computer or cruise control issue, because the truck took off after tack was at idle while waiting for the light to change. I finally found this site to complain.

- Anaheim Hills, CA, USA

Jan 122010

On a couple different occasions my Toyota has taken off by itself. The last time I almost wrecked the road was slick and it start taking off. I was talking to my friends they said there is a recall on Toyota. I called the dealer and he said my particular truck has no problems. I disagree with that.

- Silver Lake , OR, USA

Nov 152009

I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. On 2 occasions in the last few months I thought my accelerator pedal went down slightly increasing my speed without me doing anything to make it happen. On both occasions the roadway was wet and I tried to explain the weird feel by telling myself it must be hydroplaning.

- American Canyon, CA, USA

Oct 122006

This issue is repeatable and occurs under two circumstances. 1. when vehicle speed control has been previously set, and the "resume" function is used when actual speed is greater than or equal to 6mph slower than the previously set speed, the throttle moves to wide open and the transmission downshifts two gears and the vehicle accelerates very quickly until it exceeds the set speed by 5mph and then the throttle backs off and the transmission up-shifts to 5th gear. 2. when the vehicle is slowed by wind or moderate grade while using the vehicle speed control, the vehicle exhibits similar behavior indicated above when attempting to maintain set speed. This nearly caused an accident when my parents used this vehicle. They had cleared all nearby traffic and resumed the speed control. The vehicle accelerated so fast that when it some loose gravel on the paved roadway, they nearly lost control. I had brought this repeatable behavior to the attention of the dealer shortly after purchasing the vehicle in September of 2006. The dealer indicated that the behavior is normal. This issue continues to be a problem. Vehicle has 37,000 as of this complaint.

- York, NE, USA

Oct 232009

Driving a 2006 Toyota Tacoma on military base. Stopped at back of a building to let a soldier pass going into the building. Soldier was not in front of truck anymore, pressed on accelerator and truck took off. I hit the brakes and truck starts "spinning out" for a couple of seconds.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Dec 052009

Cruise control: Since my 2006 Toyota Tacoma was brand new, when going up an incline such as a freeway overcrossing, or moderate incline, the cruise control will cause the automatic transmission to downshift one gear and many times two gears in an effort to maintain the freeway set speed (I.e. 65 or 70 mph). This cruise control throttle increase and transmission downshifting results in aggressive acceleration which continues past the set speed by a few miles per hour before the cruise control's increased throttle input backs off (since it shot past the cruise control's set speed!) before the cruise control initiates reduced throttle input to try to reduce the vehicle speed back down to the set speed. In addition to the lack of smooth cruise control set speed operation, this condition is especially scary when the incline is also on a curve. As the vehicle aggressively accelerates it can feel as the vehicle is traveling faster than it should for the curve causing the driver to tap the brake to disengage the cruise control to stop the excessive acceleration. To date, all inquiries to northern California Toyota dealer service representatives have resulted in the same response; ┐ the 2006 Tacoma does not have a speed control problem and there are no adjustments as it is controlled by the main computer┐.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 032009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. He stated that while at a complete stop, while having his foot on the brake the vehicle accelerated forward. On a different occasion when he was in reverse the vehicle accelerated without a warning. He put full pressure on the brakes and then the acceleration stopped. The dealer was contacted. The dealer stated that he had a option to bring in the vehicle and that it will take the dealer a while to figure and duplicate the failure. There have been no repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 30000 and current mileage was 50000. Updated 03/04/10 the consumer stated the vehicle accelerated at fuel throttle on two occasions. The consumer was able to control the vehicle. Updated 06/17/10

- Front Royal, VA, USA

May 202009

Last spring, my husband and I filed a complaint against Toyota for stuck accelerator pedal in our 2006 Tacoma pick-up truck. We had about 4 incidents where the pedal was stuck, during speeds ranging from 30-60 miles per hour. The floor mats were not the issue. Toyota denied any problems at the time and our only choice was to leave our truck at the dealership because we were afraid to drive it home or sell it to someone else. They suggested we trade in the vehicle for a new truck, which we did, for a 2009 Tacoma. I am very disburbed that Toyota did not include the Tacoma on the recall list when we know for a fact it has the issue, at least the 2006 model did. I fear that the recall list is incomplete (all 2006 Tacoma on the road are a hazard) and fear that my truck might have the issue too.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

Jan 092010

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while he was at a traffic light, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the rear end the vehicle in front of him. He suppressed the brakes but the vehicle did not stop. A police report was filed. There were no injuries. He noted that in April 2008, he had issues with sudden acceleration but was able to control the vehicle. He contacted the manufacturer, was given a case number and was informed that someone would inspect it on January 26, 2010. The current mileage was approximately 55,250. The failure mileage was approximately 54,190. Updated 05/14/10.

- Oxford, MA, USA

Jan 022010

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 5 mph in his garage, the vehicle accelerated and crashed the front end of the vehicle into a wall. The contact does not have floor mats. The incident happened while driving into the garage and engaging the brakes to slow down. The current and failure mileages were 41687.

- Welch, WV, USA

Jul 102009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While the contact attempted to accelerate he noticed that the acceleration pedal became stuck in an open position causing the vehicle to continue to accelerate. The failure occurred for 10 seconds before the accelerator pedal corrected itself. The dealer advised the contact to remove the driver side floor mat. The current mileage was 90000 and the failure mileage was at 75000.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jun 102009

On June 10, 2009 I was driving my 2006 Toyota Tacoma, as I started to decrease my speed at a traffic light the engine began to race. I attempted to stop;however, the engine raced and I was unable to stop my truck. As a result I caused an accident - myself and another truck. No one was injured, however there was damage to both vehicles. At the time of the accident I was unaware of any possible recalls or safety warnings regarding a throttle problem. This was the second time the throttle "stuck" - I was fortunate that time, no one else was on the road I was driving. I'm extremely concerned that this will happen again. Now Toyota is issuing a recall on specific vehicles.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Oct 292009

Problem: Throttle hung in a wide-open position while driving. No carpet problem was involved. This has happened twice to me in a two week span!!! I would like to report a serious problem with my 2006 Tacoma. On 10/29/09 while towing a trailer I experienced the first occurrence. I had two passengers with me that can attest to the truth of my situation. I depressed the throttle and the motor suddenly went to a wide-open position. Fortunately, I was not in heavy traffic. I attempted to slow the truck with brakes alone but they could not stop the acceleration of the truck. My only thought was to turn off the ignition. I did so and brought the truck and trailer to a safe stop although it was very difficult without the power brakes being active along with the fact that I was also towing a trailer. I checked the throttle and gas pedal connections and found no obvious problems. I then attempted to restart the truck to see if possibly the computer cleared itself. When I turned on the ignition, the motor started and instantly went into a full-open throttle mode. I shut it off before it reached a very high level. We then checked all the same things we already checked and I decided to try starting the truck again. This time, it started and ran like nothing ever was wrong. We drove the truck home with no other problems. I brought the truck to my local Toyota dealer where I had purchased it. They inspected both the throttle body, engine codes, and test drove it and told me that they could find nothing wrong. I was sent on my way with no charge to me. They gave me no paperwork as I normally get but I did confirm that this complaint was put into their computer system. This same problem happened to me once more on 11/02/09 which also happened to be my birthday. I feel extremely fortunate to not have been involved in any accident to date but I must tell you that I do not feel safe driving this vehicle at the present time. Ref. Toyota national headquarters file #0911125974.

- Tequesta, FL, USA

Oct 292006

I am filing a complaint regarding the Toyota accelerator issue. I received notice that Toyota is going to do a recall based on the floor mats causing the problem. I floor mats are not the problem. I have a 2006 Tacoma and the day I brought it home the accelerator stuck as I pulled into my garage causing me to scrap the wall and caused minor body damage. Since then I have had several instances where the accelerator has stuck. It seems to occur when I come over a hill and as I start down the engine continues to "rev" and the rpms stay up even if I apply the brakes. I have complained to Toyota about this everytime I have the truck in for routine service and I'm always told it is nothing. I know two things for sure, it is not "nothing" and it is not the floor mats. As information the floor mats are the standard mat that came with the truck when I bought it new and they are secured to the floor. Ntsb should not accept that this is a floor mat problem.

- Germantown, MD, USA