2006 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Tacoma:

2006 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 122009

Tacoma

Accident on a four way street, gas pedal and steering wheel stuck.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 182009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While approaching a traffic light, the vehicle surged forward, the rear tires started spinning and the vehicle crashed into the vehicle in front of him. There were no injuries. A police report was taken. The dealer and manufacturer stated that the failure was no fault of their own. There was no error code identifying the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- North Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jul 242009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly surged forward andwent trough 2 fences and over 2 driveways. The vehicle could not be stopped by applying the brakes and it only stopped surging because the engine stalled. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 45,000. Updated 8/28/09 updated 09/02/09.

- Sebastopol, CA, USA

May 052009

Tacoma

I have been driving a Toyota Tacoma 2006 for a year and it has had two occurrences where the car goes out of control. I just press the gas pedal and it creates this weird screeching noise and all a sudden it jerks forward and it starts to run full force. It has happened when the car is going 5 mph. The first time I had stopped in an intersection when it was my turn to go I pressed the gas pedal and there was this screeching noise. All of a sudden it went forward at full speed and it hit a car in front of it. This next time I was driving in a parking structure 5mph when all of a sudden it started doing the same noise and it went full force and hit the wall. I checked if there was anything under the floor if the mat was loose or there was debris and nothing was around the pedals. I got bruises in my neck and chest because of the safety belt.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Feb 012009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. The vehicle accelerated on its own several times when the contact attempted to stop. The failure occurred while driving 40 mph. The vehicle stops when the gear is placed into neutral. He took the vehicle to the dealer and they recommended adding fuel injector to the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle after the second failure, but could not locate a failure code. The manufacturer was notified several times and advised the contact to take the vehicle back to the dealer. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 8,000 and current mileage was 10,200.

- Philadelphia, NY, USA

Nov 202006

Tacoma

My wife was driving our new 2006 Tacoma, my 9 year old and I were in the back seat. My wife began to scream because the truck began to accelerate uncontrollably, she was "standing" on the brake pedal but it did not slow down. The acceleration continuance for a little under a mile before regaining control. Luckily the traffic was minimal no accident or injuries occurred. The truck was taken to the dealership to get checked out, corrective action was nothing because they could not duplicate. Mileage of vehicle during fault was 6380. Since that time small occurrences have taken place, such as at a stop light the vehicle wants to creep forward on its own. Nothing ever found when taken to the dealer. Seeing the news report and reading the complaints only confirm our suspicion of this defective vehicle and it will be traded in.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 022009

Tacoma

My '06 Toyota Tacoma experienced unintended and sudden acceleration will entering I65 the truck fishtailed and did a 180 slamming into the concrete guard rail.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Mar 202009

Tacoma

Twice this has happened with in a week. The first time the engine accelerated while coming to a stop but I had time to pump the brake and the acceleration stopped and I dismissed it as a fluke occurrence but today coming to work it was worse and I was going through a school district, I was coming to a stop sign, brakes were applied but the 2006 Toyota Tacoma accelerated out of control. I could not put enough force on the brake pedal to stop my vehicle, my back tires were squeal, I barely missed a van while having to turn right as the back end peeled out uncontrollable acceleration of the engine even while the brakes were fully engaged by me. I was able finally stop some how. I would like to have an Agency of the federal government inspect this truck before I even attempt to have my local Toyota dealership inspect it. I am concerned that the dealership and/or Toyota Inc. Will cover-up and/or decline to admit there is a problem with this particular truck and others with the same complaint; thus absolving themselves of any liability and/or responsibility of this issue/concern that has been experienced by more than 1 Toyota Tacoma owner. In this incident, there was neither an accident nor any fatalities involved, luckily, but is that what it takes, fatalities, before Toyota and/or the appropriate government Agency takes this issue seriously?

- North Smithfield, RI, USA

Feb 142009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While exiting the highway at less than 15 mph, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably when the brake pedal was depressed. The driver, weighing 250 lbs., could not place enough force on the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. He ran two red lights and barely missed a commercial vehicle and numerous other vehicles while the brakes were still fully engaged. He was finally able to stop the vehicle by engaging the emergency brake. The dealer stated that the failure was caused by the floor mats. The contact was concerned about how that was linked to the uncontrollable acceleration. The failure and current mileages were less than 18,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 202009

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle spontaneously accelerated to 100 mph without voluntary application of the accelerator pedal. When the failure occurred, the rpms abnormally increased and the braking system became inoperative. The contact had to depress the parking brake in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer because the technician could not duplicate the failure or locate any diagnostic error codes. The failure and current mileages were 65,000. 4/01/09 updated 04/06/09.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Feb 142009

Tacoma

While exiting the highway, brakes were applied but the 2006 Toyota Tacoma accelerated out of control. The driver, weighing 250 lbs, could not put enough force on the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The driver had to run 2 red lights barely missing a commercial truck and numerous cars because of the uncontrollable acceleration of the engine even while the brakes were fully engaged by the driver. The driver was finally able to stop the vehicle by engaging the parking, emergency brake. I would like to have an Agency of the federal government inspect this truck before I even attempt to have my local Toyota dealership inspect it. I am concerned that the dealership and/or Toyota Inc. Will cover-up and/or decline to admit there is a problem with this particular truck and others with the same complaint; thus absolving themselves of any liability and/or responsibility of this issue/concern that has been experienced by more than 1 Toyota Tacoma owner. In this incident, there was neither an accident nor any fatalities involved, luckily, but is that what it takes, fatalities, before Toyota and/or the appropriate government Agency takes this issue seriously? thank you, scott J. schulte

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012009

Tacoma

While attempting to stop at the end of a parking lot, the engine accelerated, the vehicle lurched forward rapidly, could not be stopped by braking. The vehicle surged over a curb, shrubs, and through a chain link fence before it was able to be stopped. This is the second time this has occurred. The first incident did not result in any damage. Since the incident occurred this evening no corrective measure has yet been taken.

- Salem, VA, USA

Dec 132008

Tacoma

I was pulling out of a parking lot with my Toyota Tacoma when it suddenly accelerated to a high speed. I tried braking but I could not stop the truck. I finally cut the ignition off to stop the acceleration. It was night and had there been traffic I would of wrecked.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 202008

Tacoma

I experienced a problem with 2006 Tacoma lurching. Previous incidents were minor in nature with vehicle lurching forward when starting from a stopped position. No real pattern was noted so the problem was not reported to dealer. My husband advised me to report the problem to the dealer during next service visit. Today (November 20, 2008) while parking in front of a wendy's the vehicle suddenly lurched forward causing the vehicle to go over the curb and strike the building doing considerable damage to the Tacoma and the building. The vehicle has 33,356 miles and was purchased new in September 2006. I noted similar reported incidents involving the Tacoma while searching the internet -- including a NHTSA action item DP08001 for which the Agency investigator was unable to determine a cause for the reported problem. We believe it is important to report our experience to ensure that a potential defect is fully investigated and the problem corrected. If a person was in front of my Tacoma when it lurched forward someone could have been seriously injured or killed. A police report was made, which can be provided upon request. We also took pictures of the damage.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Nov 202008

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. While attempting to park with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle suddenly lunged forward into a building. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact and passenger were uninjured and both were wearing their seat belts. The front bumper and grill were smashed into the vehicle. A police report was filed. The contact was able to drive away from the scene. The speed was unknown. The failure mileage was 33,311.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Oct 272008

Tacoma

Accelerator was "floored" at about 30 mph to pass a car. The automatic transmission shifted down and the truck accelerated to about 45, when I released the throttle. The throttle remained wide open when I lifted my foot and didn't release when I kicked it several times. I slowed with my brakes, but they soon faded and I found myself out of control until I found the presence of mind to turn the ignition to the off position. I coasted off of the road at a fairly high rate of speed to miss other traffic and came to a stop with my brakes smoking. After a few minutes, I restarted the truck and found that the throttle had returned to normal. This has never happened before and I have called the dealer seeking an appointment to examine the truck. The truck is still under warranty.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 302008

Tacoma

Throttle sticks in 4th and 5th gear. I have taken it to the Toyota dealer 3 times and they said they can not find anything wrong. I drive it everyday and it happens at lease once everytime I drive it.

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

Jul 282006

Tacoma

I purchased the vehicle in Oct of 2005, and started to take frequent trips to Arizona using highway 40 about nine months after I purchased it. Since its not a densely populated freeway, I normally set the cruise control between 65-70mph. Sometimes I need to decelerate by applying the brake pedal, to change lanes and let someone pass, and when I go to resume to my previously set speed, the Tacoma down-shifts at least one to two gears, revs rpms high, and accelerates, normally passing the original set speed. Normally, I don't resume the cruise control until I am within 3-5 mph of the rate of speed it was previously set for, but nevertheless, it will downshift, accelerate and pass the set speed. This is not happening on an upgrade, but on a reasonably level stretch of road. The cruise control does this every time, no matter the driver of the vehicle.

- Lomita, CA, USA

May 222008

Tacoma 6-cyl

While braking, approaching a traffic light in my 2006 Toyota Tacoma the truck surged forward and I could not stop in time. I was broadsided by a delivery truck and thrown across the intersection shearing off the pole supporting same traffic light. My vehicle was totaled and I received a citation for failure to stop. I escaped with minor injuries.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Oct 102007

Tacoma 6-cyl

Toyota Tacoma 2006 sudden and uncontrolled acceleration.

- Boqueron, PR, USA