2008 Toyota Tundra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tundra:

2008 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Apr 152009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 10 to 30 mph when he took his foot of the gas pedal the vehicle continued to accelerate and when his foot is on the brake pedal the vehicle lunged forward. Two separate Toyota dealers diagnosed the failure six times and also experienced the failure; however, the dealer is waiting for a response from the manufacturer on how to repair the vehicle. He also filed claim number 0904137238 with the manufacturer who followed up with him to find out if the dealer repaired the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 19,699 and the current mileage was 34,850. Updated 3/4/2010 the consumer stated he had difficulty shifting gears at low speeds. Updated 07/07/10.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 202008

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. While accelerating from a stop sign at approximately 5 mph and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle lunged forward and crashed into the passengers side of an oncoming vehicle. The police were called and a report was filed at the scene. Neither the manufacturer nor the dealer were contacted. No repairs were made to the vehicle. There were no injuries. The failure and current mileages were 5,000.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Sep 132008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra 4WD, large V8.while applying the brake I have had three instances were the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Each time this occurred at a low speed[2-6mph].] further pressure on the brake stopped the vehicle. There was no way both pedals were pressed. I find the accelerator to be very touchy. I find myself having to engage the auto differential lock to control my acceleration from a stopped position. If I don't the accelerator causes the vehicle to spin the tires. I can't help feeling this is related to the cruise control components. Thanks for your time.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Jul 282009

I have had an accelerator problem with my 2008 Toyota Tundra. Last summer my accelerator stuck in full throttle position and almost caused an accident. I was able to put the vehicle in neutral, the engine over-revved, and the pedal finally returned to the normal position. When I contacted the dealer I was told that it must have stuck on the floormat, but this was not possible. The floormat was no where near the pedal. I complained about this happening and the fact the pedal felt like it had pulled itself down more than what I was pushing on it. I also complained of the pedal being hard to push at take off and always jolting forward at take off due to the pressure needed to push the accelerator. The dealer again stated it had to be the floormat and only documented the problem of the pedal being hard to push. When they returned the vehicle they said the pedal was fine and that it was normal to have to push hard on it due to the fact it did not operate with a cable anymore. I contacted Toyota several times via email since the latest recall and finally received a call today from them. The woman who called said to take it to the dealer to be repaired. When I asked her if the incident with the stuck accelerator would be investigated by Toyota, she stated that there only action would be the recall fix and to contact the dealer.I feel Toyota or an independent Agency should check the vehicle before Toyota is allowed to touch it, because I don't feel that there shim will fix this problem. I believe it is a problem other than the pedal just being stuck. My vehicle only had approx. 8,000 miles at the time.

- Pleasant Valley, CT, USA

Dec 072009

The contact owns 2008 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 60 mph she noticed that the rpms rapidly increased within seconds and the vehicle accelerated from 60 mph to 110 mph. The failure occurred on three occasions. The dealer was unable to determine the failure code; therefore, stated that the failure was caused by the floor mat. Report 1001152167 was filed with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 41,000.

- Desert Hot Spring , CA, USA

Nov 242009

As I was about to complete parking my 2008 Toyota Tundra in a parking space at northampton high school, northampton, Massachusetts the truck suddenly accelerated at a high rate, went over a curb and into a chain link fence doing considerable damage to the fence and truck. I had no control over the truck and hitting the brake was not enough to stop the high acceleration. I finally made the truck stop by shifting into neutral and shutting off the engine. I was very lucky to not have been hurt. If this happened a few seconds earlier I would have hit a group of students walking in the parking lot.the students were in front of my vehicle before I made the right turn into the parking space. It was very scary, I am very nervous now driving the truck. My wife will not drive it. I contacted Toyota immediately. They have been very difficult to deal with. Not returning phone calls and not meeting dates for what they will do. When I first contacted Toyota, the representative said to me "so what do you want Toyota to do" after I described what happened and how lucky I was not to be hurt or hurting students in a high school parking lot. I have owned Toyota vehicles since 1970 - they seem to have little concern for my loyalty or the stress this incident has caused me and my family.

- Chesterfield, MA, USA

Jul 192009

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated as he was driving 15 mph the vehicle and four wheeling the accelerator pedal got stuck. The contact stated as he was driving up the mountain the accelerator pedal got stuck and the vehicle went over the edge of the mountain almost killing him. There is a police report of the accident and the vehicle is still sitting on the side of the mountain because they unable to get the vehicle off the mountain. The contact stated he has to get a crane and a helicopter to get the vehicle from where it has been stuck since July 2009. The Toyota manufacture had not been call. The failure mileage was 28,000. Updated 3/8/10 upon ascending a hill in 4-wheel drive, the consumer flt the vehicle speed up as he reached the top of the hill. He applied the brake, but the vehicle did not stop. He jumped out of the vehicle and the vehicle continued to go over the side of the cliff. Updated 06/30/10.

- Roosevelt, UT, USA

Jun 072009

The contact owns 2008 Toyota Tundra. While driving 60mph and changing lanes, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and the gas pedal extended to the floor. She was forced to shift into neutral gear and drive onto the emergency lane. The engine continued to rev prior to shutting the engine off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer stated that the floor mat caused the vehicle to accelerated, yet she doesn't agree that the floor mats caused the vehicle to accelerate. The dealer replaced the engine. The failure mileage was 1,032 and the current mileage was 11,000.

- Oak Harbor , WA, USA

Nov 052009

As I arrived at my home and drove up into my driveway I experienced an unexplained acceleration on my 2008 Toyota Tundra that made me react to slam on the brakes and cause the truck to slide on an unpaved (dirt) surface in my yard and slide into the trunk of a pine tree and damaging the front bumper to my truck. I heard on the news that there was a recall for the floor mats on this vehicle to be removed if it did not have clips to hold the mat in place. My truck does have the clips to hold the mat in place and prevents the acceleration pedal from getting lodged with the mat. I do believe the acceleration problem was caused by an unknown defect and not the floor mat. Currently, the floor mat remains in place on its clips without interference to the acceleration pedal. Today, I received a recall letter from Toyota to remove the floor mat, therefore, I will. Again I don't believe the floor mat was the problem. I just want this complaint documented because it caused around $500 worth of damaged to my truck.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 032009

Was returning home via the interstate from fl; we exited to refuel. I filled the truck up at a shell station as we were leaving the pumps I started my Tundra placed my foot on the brake to place it into gear and suddenly without warning after placing the vehicle into drive it took off just like I had press the accelerator it although I had not even placed my foot on the gas pedal. I immediately depressed the brake as forcefully as I could the vehicle kept accelerating; I placed the vehicle into neutral with the engine still revving like the gas pedal was still being depressed. I then turned off the key. This was the first and only time I had experienced any such problem since purchasing this vehicle. So far nothing has been done to the vehicle in relation to this problem.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Jan 102009

Throttle control, 2008 Toyota Tundra with 5.7 L engine. Electronic "fly by wire" design has delays in advancing throttle on motor. Several complaints on Tundra blogs about this as well. Could be dangerous when making U turns or in blind areas as there is a hesitation in the engine response. I asked dealer about adjusting and was told that unit was not adjustable. I have my vehicle in the shop now for a replacement of this unit.

- Bluff City, TN, USA

Jan 132009

Uncontrollable acceleration to 100+ mph. Will not slow or stop even while pressing brake with both feet. Continues to accelerate. Cruise control will not override acceleration when brake is applied. Had to put in neutral, and turn the key while hitting bar ditch, nearly flipping truck and colliding with two 18 wheelers.

- Midland, TX, USA