2008 Toyota Tundra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Tundra:

2008 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 222010

Toyota recall notice for accelerator pedal. Not sure what is determined to be a reasonable amount of time for the Toyota dealer to schedule repairs. My experience, today(3-22-10) I called for an appointment, an was given a date for three weeks later(4-9-10). If this could be life threating defect, I would think Toyota would have dealers on extended hours and saturdays to resolve the problem with the amount of vehicles they have in the recall.

- Gap Mills, WV, USA

Mar 162010

I have a Toyota Tundra 2008, will leaving the bank, I was slowly approaching a stop sign. There was a car in front of me already waiting at the stop sign. I tried to step on the brake, and the floor mat came up over the brake pedal, restricting me from fully pressing down the pedal. I could not stop, I turned my truck to run into the curb and not hit the car in front of me, I hit the curb and ran up on the side walk. While moving slowly I quickly removed the mat from over the pedal, and brought my vehicle to a complete stop. No one was injured, no damage to any property. Now I have received a letter from Toyota today coincidently asking me to turn in my truck for recall.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Oct 082009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact was driving approximately between 50-55 mph; proceeding to make a turn. While the vehicle was accelerating, pressure was applied to the brake pedal. The vehicle failed to slow down and continued accelerating for a distance of of 15 miles. The speed rate increased to 90 mph. The driver notified and reported the failure to the police while the failure was occurring. There were several attempts before the vehicle slowed down. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. An investigation will be performed by the manufacturer. The cause of failure had not been determined at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Anajemoy, MD, USA

Jan 082008

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph when the vehicle began to surge forward. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician stated that the accelerator pedal was sensitive and was unable to identify the cause of failure. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle would be inspected for the malfunction. The vehicle had not been inspected when the complaint was filed. The contact had concerns about the potential safety risk. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 680. The current mileage was 7,000.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jul 012009

Summer 2009, 2008 Toyota Tundra suddenly accelerated for approx 3 seconds, then resumed normal drive. Contacted Toyota and told it was floormats. Removed floormats and later recieved floormat recall notice. Several months later, happened again while going 10mph down driveway, vehicle had accelaration burst almost causing crash into tree. Contacted Toyota, they talked of floormats. When I stated I had removed them previously, Toyota stated it must be something else unrelated to the vehicle. Soon issues came out on the news. I again contacted Toyota, but they informed me that the '08 Tundra did not have issues. I gave up the vehicle for fear of family getting hurt. Only after did I recieve a notice in the mail stating 2008 Tundra did have mechanical issues.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

Mar 042010

I was at the walmart in bolivar, mo 6:30 pm on March 4th. Got in my Tundra put it in reverse, backed up and put it in drive. As I pushed on the accelerator to go forward slowly the truck accelerated on its own. I applied the brake and turned left to avoid hitting a car and hit a yellow concrete post while the truck continued to go forward about 20 feet. I then put it in neutral and finally got it to stop. I then tried to open my door and it would not open. I went ahead and drove home about 3 miles and parked the truck. I called my insurance company that night to report the accident and left a message. I called them again the morning of March 5th, 2010 and gave them the details. A claims adjuster has assessed the damage on the body of the truck but those repairs have not yet been completed. On March 11th, 2010 I received a recall notice in the mail from Toyota on the truck for a accelerator pedal reinforcement bar installation. I called the dealership that same day to schedule the recall and they said they could not get me in until April. When I told them about the accident they change my scheduled time to that same day, March 11th at 6:00 pm. I drove the truck to the dealership and they installed an accelerator pedal reinforcement bar. I have owned this truck for approximately 2 years and this is the first time the accelerator stuck. I have a flawless driving record and consider myself to be a very careful driver. I am confident this was not a driver error. I was in a busy walmart parking lot directly in front of the entrance of the store so I was naturally being cautious.

- Bolivar, MO, USA

Mar 022010

The contact owns 2008 Toyota Tundra. While driving 65 mph utilizing the cruise control, he noticed that the vehicle was traveling at speeds greater than what was exhibited on the speedometer. Prior to the recent failure the contact had taken the vehicle to the dealer where repairs were made under NHTSA campaign id numbers 09V388000 and 10V017000, vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The current and failure mileages were 11000.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Feb 052010

2008 Toyota Tundra surged forward in a car wash striking the side of the building. Building is concrete block and did not sustain any damage. Damage to Tundra is in excess of $2400. I feel that Toyota should cover my $1000 deductible, reimburse my insurance company for the remainder of the body repair and send a letter to my insurance company stating that surge was do to sticky accelerator pedal and was not my fault.

- Algona, IA, USA

Jan 152009

7/29/09 driving on the freeway at 65 mph transmission started shifting gear and mph was moving from 60 to 80 up and back down. Applied emergency brake, shifted gear to neutral but no actions could stop the Toyota truck. My nephew and I jumped from the truck when I determined that it was slowing down and no cars were passing on the freeway. It came to a sudden stop 1/2 mile away from were we jumped. The engine had smoke coming out and it revving up and down. Towed it to dealer and they said no problem found and accused it was the floormats after their master tech looked at it. No repairs were made and they wanted to charge us for worn brakes and bent rotors which were cause by this event. In-disagreement we towed to another Toyota and they determined that the complaint regarding the sudden acceleration, worn brake pads, and bent rotors cannot be found. We took back the car for 6 months and a second incident happen 1/15/10. I was driving on a residential street and suddenly the truck was accelerated from 25 mph to 60 mph. I performed all ways to stop the truck but it would not stop. To avoid hitting a big-rig I had to verge into an embankment. Again police and fire dept were called but no one accident occurred so no reports were taken. Again we towed it to the dealer stating the same situation and again no problem has been found. They still have the truck until today 3/9/10 and have not gave any answer on what is had occurred and no actions had been taken. I have suffered tremendously. Fear haunts me at night and I am afraid to even step foot into the truck. I am emotionally disturbed on the ordeal and how Toyota persisted that nothing happened. My 15 year old nephew who jumped out while we were on the freeway has been traumatized and yet I cannot get answer.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 092009

2008 Toyota Tundra sudden acceleration accident. I was backing into my driveway when the sudden acceleration happened. The engine raced so loud my wife could hear it in the house and thought I had started my tractor. I could not stop the vehicle before it crashed into a couple of cement fence posts. At that time the engine returned to an idle speed. I contacted my local dealer, they did not have any info on this type problem and asked about my floor mats which I do not have in the vehicle. This was not a stuck pedal or floormat issue, and may be different from other accidents as I just put the vehicle in reverse, most accidents I have learned about were traveling forward. To date it is impossible to get through to Toyota to report the accident/incident and the local dealer just gives you the phone number to call. When you call they say all representatives are busy and when you go on-line the only information they accept or give is regarding floor mat problems or sticking pedals, neither of which is what I experienced.

- Marquette, MI, USA

Jul 282009

I was stopped at a red light; traffic began to move as I depressed the accelerator the truck surged, accelerating suddenly. It happened so quick I did not have time to react and hit the car in front of me (the accelerator did return to idle). I really thought it was my fault until I started hearing all the reports regarding similar problems with Toyota. I had, and continue to have this problem occurring once every 6 weeks or so. All the previous times there was no one in front of me. I am now very cautious, and have scheduled an appointment with the Toyota dealer per their recall letter.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Mar 012010

I have 2008 Tundra that was recalled for 'acceleration problems' and ostensibly fixed, although I had never experienced "any" problems. Now that is has "been fixed" I do have a problem. From a stand-still position, I will depress the accelerator and nothing happens. All of a sudden the accelerator will engage causing my truck to, all of a sudden, jump (accelerate). It doesn't happen all the time....but I'm afraid that it could happen at a stop light where I wish to begin forward - no results and then a possible surge where I could possible hit a vehicle in front of me.

- Black Hawk, CO, USA

Oct 232009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the driver drove 12 mph when it was raining heavily and when she stepped on the brake pedal, the vehicle accelerated on it's own. She crashed into a construction barrier that was in the middle of the road. The driver stated that the vehicle has accelerated previously a few times. The failure mileage was 10,030. The current mileage was 11,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Feb 262010

This compliant compliments the current Toyota recall that is related to the sticking accelerator pedal. The pedal in my 2008 Toyota Tundra does not get stuck at acceleration point but is sticky during the acceleration process. This is a physical issue that is related to the pedal movement as depressed from a stopped position. This has occurred at least 70 % of the time since I owned the vehicle (purchased new). Since my vehicle is on the recall list I feel that this is a situation that should also be investigated. My spouse has notice the difference in acceleration varying from a very smooth take off to a harsh jerk and that launches the vehicle forward.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Mar 012010

The vehicle had been sitting in the driveway overnight. When I got in to go to work in the morning several warning lights were illuminated. The slip, brake, 4X4 hi and lo, vehicle stability control, and lsd lights stayed on until I stopped and turned the vehicle off and then back on. When I restarted the vehicle the lights were out. This has happened six times in the past 12 months. Two other times the brake light was on and stayed on until I turned off the vehicle and restarted. There has never been an acceleration issue. On two occasions, while driving on a dry road the traction control engaged and took the power out of the vehicle. On both occasion was driving in town at less than 30 mph. The local dealership has never been able to duplicate the fault.

- Minot, ND, USA

Mar 062009

Purchased a 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 double cab..from day one had problems with my accelerator was too springy and sensitve. On numerous occasions had difficulty keeping accelerator in control. Took it back to the dealer several times where they would hook it up to the computer only to tell me there was nothing wrong. Although I had talked to a Toyota mechanic and he told me there would probably have something come out on this matter because he has seen problems like this before.. I went in for the recall and it seems there is a worse problem now.. I truly believe this is an electronic problem because it seems to coincide with the transmission which is also electronic.. this problem is on going. Especially when proceeding from a stopped position.

- Boynton Bch, FL, USA

Jan 152010

I have a strong belief after my experience that Toyota has a defect with "speed sensor wires┐ and may know and is keeping it under wraps. Maybe because of safety problems or that it's contributing to a short circuit and unintended acceleration as professor gilbert had demonstrated on abc with what could happen with a short circuit in some Toyota vehicles. Someone from Toyota headquarters that was visiting my dealership personally investigated my 2008 Tundra's speed sensor wires which on one side had completely failed (snapped completely through) and was failing on the other side (partially broken through) at the same spot. Toyota chose to repair both but rather classified the repairs as a ┐courtesy replacement┐ versus under the vehicles warranty. This I have a strong belief was done to keep it off the books back at headquarters and under wraps. This happened in Jan of 2010. Other indications this is wider spread but unrealized as to being a defect problem: 1) the dealership had to wait a long time because they had a hard time retrieving replacement parts, probably low on stock due to other replacements. 2) the local dealership had repaired another Tundra at the same location for the same problem right before mine, which I heard about through a contact. 3) internet search indications. Note: At first glance a torn or split wire may appear to have been caused by road debris or in the case of a vehicle crash if wire already was exhibited problems may be thought to have been caused by an impact if discovered after an impact. Because of these two reasons if this problem is a defect it may explain why it's not reported so readily. That's my fear. From my findings I┐M convinced what is creating this defect is in design. The wire passes through a harness which is clamped down to the frame and the A-arm which pivots up and down tugging on the wire which is also near the hot manifold and after time the constant bending and tugging breaks down the speed sensor wire.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 242010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated while driving 55 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to 76 mph. The vehicle almost caused a crash and resulted in a speeding ticket. The contact stated that the failure could have caused a fatal crash on the highway. The failure mileage was 25,958.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 272010

In a 2008 Toyota Tundra, the accelerator pedal all of a sudden became non-responsive, multiple dash malfunction lights illuminated. When the pedal was pushed the motor would very slowly rev.

- Doral, FL, USA

Jan 242010

I was driving my 2008 Toyota Tundra on the evening of 1/24/2010. I approached a turn, and removed my foot from the accelerator and applied the brake, but the accelerator remain stuck down, the vehicle's speed exponentially increased and as a direct result I loss control of the truck and slammed into a tree going 65 miles + per hour. The result is that the truck is totaled, I will live with permanent injuries, including broken neck, ribs, hip and partial paralysis.

- Wimberley, TX, USA