2006 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 182013

Jetta 5-cyl

Window on driver side sometimes are inoperative. This can be because of wires inside the drivers side door are too short. Can be a problem if in an emergency my window must be rolled down. If I'm trapped, what happens if I can't roll down my window to get out! also, ceiling headliner is coming down. Can no longer see through my rearview mirror! the headliner liner was cut too short so I can't fix it. Please help. Thank you so much.

- Springhill Hill, FL, USA

Aug 062014

Jetta 5-cyl

The wiring harness in the passenger front door has broken. The windows, locks, and blinker on mirror do not work at all or will work sporadically and the airbag light in the dash turned on indicating the airbags are disabled. A mechanic confirmed it was the wiring harness and it was temporarily fixed so the windows could be rolled up to prevent any damage inside from snow and rain. I received a letter from a settlement company in regards to the wiring harness needing to be replaced. The letter states "..the left front (driver's side) door or any wiring or connectors that needed to be replaced when replacing such wiring harness, ..." I called the number to ask about the replacement of my wiring harness, and was told because it was the passenger door it did not meet the qualifications. I have since researched the recalls on the 2006 VW Jetta wiring harness and what I was able to find, it did not specify a particular side, but stated the Jetta's made in that year where manufactured with the wiring harnesses being to short, causing the wires to break. This is what has happened to mine. Any information regarding if I meet any guidelines to have this fixed with no cost to me would be greatly appreciated. The safety of my son and I is very important. Thank you for your time.

- Presque Isle, ME, USA

Aug 302014

Jetta 5-cyl

Upon research on blogs and reviews the 2006 Jetta has several of the same issues. Car has 54K miles and cv boots are cracked and needing replacements. The headliner dropped while driving impairing visibility of road ways and hinders view out back windows. Drivers side wiring harness.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 052014

Jetta 5-cyl

The indicator lights on the driver's door console turns off when the door is open slightly more than halfway. If the door is closed the power window does not work sometimes, so I have to open the door slightly for it to work. Driver side door works occasionally as well as the trunk with the key less entry. I did some research on the internet and I now believe that it's the wiring harness causing the problems.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Jetta 5-cyl

Passenger, driver door and sunroof wiring harness short. Affects windows and locks, window will intermittently not roll up or down and the door locks will not lock. Jiggling the wiring harness gasket seems to resolve the issue each time it occurs. Sunroof will open to vent automatically without any buttons being pushed.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

May 272014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The driver side door wiring harness has failed and with it the driver side controls do not work. The door will not lock, the window will not roll down, the gas cap release does not work and the trunk release does not work. It also seems to have caused a short the rear driver side door as the window is stuck down and will not roll up. The airbag light also came on. I have checked all fuses and have found no problems.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Jetta 4-cyl

The driver side door wiring harness has failed and with it the driver side controls do not work. The door will not lock, the window will not roll down, the gas cap release does not work and the trunk release does not work. The airbag light also came on. I have checked all fuses and have found no problems. After I had a certified mechanic check the vehicle, it was discovered all the wires in the driver side wiring harness are all broken.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Jun 022014

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Aug 012013

Jetta 5-cyl

Driver's rear door lock stopped responding to the buttons on it, and on the main control, and on the remote. It intermittently worked for a month or so and is now dead. The car cannot be locked and that is a safety issue.

- Newton, NC, USA

Dec 202013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driver's rear door lock stopped responding to the buttons on it, and on the main control, and on the remote. It intermittently worked until March and is now dead. The car cannot be locked and that is a safety issue.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Sep 102013

Jetta

Purchased the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta in August 2014 with 116,000 miles. One month later the horn was not working. Upon doing an internet search, discovered an inordinate number of complaints that these horns become inoperable even with fewer miles. The problem comes when pressing the horn pad on the steering wheel, it does not make contact to sound the horn. The airbag assembly is located here as well so I don't feel it's safe to try to replace it myself. The quote to have this repaired was $900. Volkswagen should issue a recall on this part immediately!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 242014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Our 2006 Jetta tdi had an airbag fault. We took the vehicle to a Volkswagen dealership and they tested the air code and found out that the passenger occupant detector module went bad due to a electrical malfunction in the circuit. The dealership was not able to say if the airbags were going to work on not in the case of a crash. Volkswagen is refusing to take any ownership of keeping their vehicle safe and covering the cost of the part. I contact Volkswagen usa and they gave the reason they will not cover the part because I did not have an extended warranty. I feel that Volkswagen is being neglectful to their claim on providing a safe vehicle. Now that the airbag sensor is going out, we are having more electrical problems with headlights, parking lights, taillights, brake lights, day time running lights, and turn signals.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jan 212014

Jetta

After using the fob to lock the doors we noticed the rear doors would not lock. If the car is just sitting the rear locks will not lock leaving the door open to children or would be thieves. We also noticed the rear doors would show they were locked once we were moving, but were actually unlocked allowing the rear passenger to be able to open the doors at highway speeds. Extreme safety issue! Volkswagen needs to address this issue asap.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 182014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Been to multiple dealerships claiming in fox valley il rockford il glenview il that either my mechunit is bad/faulty or dual mass flywheel is bad/faulty. Was driving where either my car would shift very rough as if someone who is very inexperienced would let go of the clutch late and shift hard/rough into 1-2-3 with clicking noises. Car just recently shifted from 2 to neutral and scared the crapout of me. The car has extreme vibration and uncontrolled shift patterns. Was turning onto my street and car went from 3-2 to neutral while my car was still in drive and went into a snow bank on side of road. Would just like to have Volkswagen contact me to either replace or fix this problem. This is very dangerous owners of a 2006 VW tdi or any automatic with dsg mechunit beware and please be careful.

- Genoa , IL, USA

Jan 062014

Jetta 4-cyl

Traveling along at 55 mph and the gear display started flashing/blinking as the car just shut off. It would not restart. Battery is fine.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Jan 032014

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving home with my wife, she stated that she thought she had noticed a burning smell. The heated seats were on as it was a cold morning. The next day I noticed that the back rest of the seat had a smoldering mark as well as some sort of smoke damage as if there was a fire on the inside of the seat. We later looked on her jacket and noticed that there was transfer of the "leather" to her jacket.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 022011

Jetta

I am the owner of a 2006 VW Jetta tdi sedan. I purchased the vehicle used in a private sale in 2009. By 2011 I was having numerous problems with the vehicle. The dual mass flywheel failed just after I had my car at the dealership for the timing belt service (approximate mileage 106,000). I had to have it towed (at my expense) to the dealership since it wasn't safe to drive the 130 miles. Dealership said it was a known problem but Volkswagen of America has not offered any assistance. Apparently someone has to die to get their attention. Approximate cost of repairs: $1,800. 2nd big problem is electrical. Wiring harness in the driver door failed soon after I purchased it. It started with the driver window switch not working. Then the lock/unlock button quit working. Then the interior/exterior safety lights. I have heard that it will progress to the trunk lid, the other windows, the fuel door, ect. Once again an extremely common problem due to a poor design. Once again Volkswagen of America has refused to offer assistance - the dealership quoted me just under $500 in parts and labor. Why would a harness cost $205!!! third problem is cosmetic issues. The paint is flaking off especially near the seams and at the wheel wheels. Rust formed where the paint bubbled up at two of the four wheel wheels. There is a service bulletin for paint problems in the generation before this vehicle and a 10-12 year corrosion warranty that VW refuses to honor. Additionally, problems with poor manufacturing practices and materials abound in this vehicle. The headliner pulls away from the pillars at the seams in the rear due to defective materials. It will separate from the roof and become a hanging visibility hazard. The plastic dash pieces don't fit together - shrinking and pulling away at the seams. Stereo buttons (as well as door switches) bubble and flake off.

- Huron, SD, USA

Jun 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I have run into numerous issues on my car that have caused me to troubleshoot and solve these problems. Multiple times I have pulled back the abrasion protection on the wiring and found that the insulation common to the wires is crack or worn off exposing the center conductor of the wires. Many times there are numerous wires within a harness that are worn through. So far I haven't found any that are shorted out but many are very close and at high risk of causing an electrical short/fire. I am an aircraft electrician/inspector and have found the abrasion protection to be horrible inadequate. There are 2 harnesses that go to the turbo that have a hard plastic abrasion cover but nothing shielding the wire from this cover. On both of these harnesses I found that the plastic had worn a series of ridges down the entire length of wire they covered and exposed the conductor in multiple places. My right hand mirror turn signal was not working so I pulled it out and tested the bulb and found that it was good. When I pulled the rubber boot that covers the wires in the door jam I found a power wire in there that the insulation had cracked and pulled apart exposing.150" of center conductor in multiple places. It seems that the majority of the wiring is either poor quality or just not protected causing the insulation to fail and become a major safety hazard for potential electrical shorts or fires. I have heard these cars are prone to electrical caused fires and strongly believe that something needs to be done in order to avoid more very serious problems with these cars that could cost someone their life. I have only owned this car since may of 2013 and have already repaired 4 wiring harnesses throughout the car. This is something that should never happen on a car that is only 7 years old.

- Phelan, CA, USA

Jul 222013

Jetta 5-cyl

All electronic components in drivers door ceased to function. Auto door lock, driver's window, gas latch. Could not open driver's window. Apparently the original design of wire harness was defective in that it was 80 mm too short. VW has issue a technical service bulletin on April 20, 2011 (V97-11-04) identifying this inherent defect. Dealer replaced driver's door wiring harness after diagnosing multiple broken wires. VW will not reimburse car owners for repair/replacement.

- Silver Spring , MD, USA

Jun 242013

Jetta

I was accelerating from a stop sign and I heard a notification "beep" on my car's dashboard. I looked down to see what was wrong and suddenly my steering locked up on me. Having no control of my car, I drifted into a car parked on the right side of the street, causing my car to flip over.

- Dover, PA, USA