1.8

2009 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 212014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving on my way home from work in town and all of a sudden the glow plug light comes on flashing and the engine light appears on the dash. I immediately turned off the car restarted the car and the problem was not resolved and a message appeared on the sash "engine fault workshop!". hpfp failure.

- Corunna, MI, USA

May 132014

Jetta 4-cyl

I lost power and a mechanic has since attributed it to the hpfp (high pressure fuel pump) issue outlined in a technical service bulletins. The issue causes metal fragments to contaminate the entire fuel system. VW recommends over $9,000 in fixes for the compromised car, something that in a single stroke exceeds the remaining value of an otherwise well maintained car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 162014

Jetta 4-cyl

The car began to flash the "glow plug" warning light along with a message "engine fault workshop" pulled to the side of the road and attempted to restart. Engine would crank but not turn over. Got the following failure codes: P0087, P13E3, P2196. Looks like this is a common issue and yet VW does nothing about it. Class action anyone?.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Mar 272014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving at approximately 65 mph on the interstate on Thursday March 27, 2014, the car began to flash the "glow plug" warning light along with a message "engine fault workshop". at this point in time the car would only do about 50 mph on the interstate for about 2 more miles until I found a safe location to pull off the interstate. The cars engine stalled as I was making my way off the road. I was unable to get the car to start again. The car was towed the same day to a local garage of my choice. The technicians took five days to diagnose the problem, which was determined to be a failed high pressure fuel pump. I was told the entire fuel system must be replaced in order for the car to run properly, due to the fact that the entire fuel system gets contaminated with tiny metal shavings when the pump fails, the cost was estimated at $8000-$10000 from a local VW dealer. I called the dealer and explained the problem, they told me they are aware of this issue on some models but there are currently no recalls, so nothing would be covered under a warranty. I am not having the car fixed due to the fact that I don't have that kind of money and the car itself is only valued at around $14000. My choices are to let the bank repo my car and ruin my perfect credit that I have been building for 15 years, or keep paying the $350 a month for a car that doesn't run for the next 4 years. It is a crime that VW is aware of this but are continuing to rob us unfortunate people that own these cars because they will not issue a recall or cover repair bills. Thank you for your time on this subject.

- Klingerstown, PA, USA

Feb 072014

Jetta

High-pressure fuel pump failure (hpfp) while I was driving 60mph on highway has glow plug light flashing and check light, car is misfiring and stalling.

- Altamonte Springs , FL, USA

Jan 272014

Jetta

While driving on a 3 lane road my vehicle lost power and showed a warning message of "engine fault". it had about 50% power for approximately 30 seconds and died. The vehicle was towed to VW dealer and they report that it was the high pressure fuel pump failure with complete fuel system contamination.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Dec 092013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the diesel fuel injector number one had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 156,000.

- Hobesound, FL, USA

Nov 272013

Jetta

Was on the highway and the engine started to stall. Glow plug light flashing and engine light on. Display reads something about engine fault workshop. I turned car on and no problem or lights or errors were displayed. Started driving and car had very minimal power and would shift high RPM. Towed car to VW dealership and they said my high pressure fuel pump had deteriorated and sent metal shavings through my fuel pump system. $6K to fix! a faulty part and VW says it's my responsibility to fix. I wish VW would hold to their cars.

- Draper, UT, USA

Jul 132013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

We were driving down the road when our car sputtered once and then died. We coasted into a parking lot and tried to crank it again. It sputtered once and died again. Then we were unable to get it restarted. This was on a Saturday afternoon. Monday morning we had it towed to a certified independent repair shop. They diagnosed it as a fuel system failure. There was metal shavings in the fuel system. He indicated that repairs would cost six thousand. He had to replace all the fuel components. It was three weeks to repair it. The final cost ended up being $5688.17. The vehicle has never had gas put it in. We were always very particular about where we purchased diesel fuel.

- Otto, NC, USA

Oct 272013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled as the engine malfunction warning message illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the fuel was contaminated. As a result, the high pressure fuel pump and fuel system needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to pay for the entire cost of the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 35,000.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

Oct 122013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The check engine warning indicator had not illuminated until after the failure had occurred. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the high pressure fuel injection pump was fractured, which caused metal shavings to enter the fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000. The VIN was not available.

- Plano , TX, USA

Jul 122013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 125,680 and the current mileage was 127,000.

- Williston, TN, USA

Aug 062013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump was disintegrating from the inside, sending metal shavings through the fuel system. As a result, the higher pressure fuel pump became defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and they decided to cover the cost of the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 90,205.

- Jupiter , FL, USA

Apr 082013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Was driving along and car lost power, engine quit and would not restart. Had car towed to dealer where they diagnosed the problem as a high pressure fuel pump failure. All injectors, fuel lines, and associated parts to be replaced. Tank has to be drained and flushed. Dealer said volkswagon would cover all costs releated to repair!

- White Plains, MD, USA

Feb 252013

Jetta

I was coming to a stop off a highway off ramp. My car died while coming to the stop. This has happened before and I've taken it to the dealership several times for this and stalling out while accelerating from a complete stop, and I was told there was nothing wrong. Today the car would not stay started after starting 8 times. I started from P and N, but once I put the car in D or S it would immediately shut down. Putting the car in R made a huge clunk. I was stuck and blocking a huge line of traffic! I am going to the dealer to find out what's going wrong, but this is unacceptable for any car to die for no reason.

- Santee, CA, USA

Feb 092013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Diesel fuel pump failure which clogged fuel fitter and injection system which in turn caused engine to cut out.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car appeared to be sluggish as I was driving back to the office from lunch. As I approach the last major intersection before getting on the highway, the car started to make a very loud ticking/knock sound that was rev dependent. As I accelerated on the highway two faults came up on the instrument cluster. They were a flashing glow plug light and the phrase engine fault workshop. I was just reaching the speed limit at this time but power began to fade (in heavy traffic, luckily I had not yet moved into other lanes). I managed to drive at 40 to 45 mph to the next exit and safely parked the car. The car was towed to the local VW dealer who noted that the hpfp (high pressure fuel pump) had failed and taken out the entire fuel system (the car is diesel powered). The diesel fuel in the tank was tested and came back uncontaminated. It had been 54 miles since my last fill up on 2/2/2013.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jan 272013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

This car is a VW Jetta tdi (turbodiesel). Driving on I-96 between lansing and brighton the Jetta began to run roughly with a loss of power. The traffic was very slow due to a snowstorm, so I was able to continue driving. The car ran increasingly rough and eventually stopped. The car was towed to my local dealership, germain VW in ann arbor. The report was fuel system failure due to the hpfp breaking apart. The entire fuel system will need to be replaced and the fuel tank fully cleaned of metal fragments.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving up a mountain highway, the car lost all power (even with the gas pedal to the floor). Once pulled over, the vehicle wouldn't start again. The high pressure fuel pump in the tdi failed catastrophically and sent metal shrapnel throughout the entire fuel system.

- Running Springs, CA, USA

Jan 162013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was making a left turn entering North bound traffic on greenfield road South of baseline road on Wednesday January 16, 2013. Traffic was very heavy and upon entering traffic the engine suddenly began to loose power, run very rough. It seems like all of the dash warning lights flashed several times before the engine completely died. After the engine died, I lost power steering and was unable to safely negotiate my way to the side of the road. I was almost struck two times before I was able to coast into a parking lot on East side of greenfield road. The repair of the vehicle is currently underway. The failure was due to the high pressure injector pump failing, creating metal shavings that clogged and contaminating the entire fuel system. The car has 104,000 miles on it and there was no prior indication of fuel system problems. The failure was catastrophic. There was no other contamination of the fuel.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA