2010 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Oct 032015

Radio in 2010 Jetta tdi stopped working. It looks like it has no power but all fuses check good. There is many many of these same issues with the delphi radios in the Jettas in 2010. Follow this link to see the many owners that have been turned away with there faulty radios. The main safety issues is there is no longer the use of hands free cell phone using the bluetooth option. When my radio failed I drove the car on a Saturday morning and everything was in working order. When my wife got in to go to the store 30 min later the radio was completely dead.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Sep 222015

While driving, the car inadvertently disengages the dsg transmission resulting in no power transfer to the wheels. The car also displays an "esp error" (electronic stability program) in conjunction with the transmission problem. Once the car is shifted into park and turned off, and then back on, the problem is resolved temporarily. It happens without warning and poses danger for the driver and occupants. This initially happened 2 months prior after a headlight burned out and the bulb status light on the dash came on. The transmission disengagement event occurred once or twice before the headlight was replaced. After replacing the light bulb, the transmission error appeared to resolve itself. Two months later, the event occurred following the failure of a valve stem with TPMS sensor on the tire. The repair shop did not have any TPMS sensors in stock and replaced the stem with a rubber one. This resulted in the TPMS status light being on in the dash. Coincidentally, within a couple days of this, the dsg transmission /esp error re-emerged. This time around the error occurred every 5 to 10 minutes of driving. This disengagement happened during city and highway driving at varying speeds. Disabling esp and driving in manual mode did not fix the problem. This leaves the occupants in a dangerous situation, especially when driving through construction zones and other areas without adequate shoulders on the road. The car is up to date on preventative maintenance. Car is at 113,000 miles. Extended warranty expired at 109,000. Neither VW of America or warranty company say they can assist. Dealership service cannot specifically diagnose the problem and suggest either mechatronic unit replacement ($2,000) might solve the problem. If not, complete transmission replacement ($5,000) is recommended.

- Park Hills, KY, USA

Sep 012015

The day I received the email from the NHTSA for the clock springs failing on my make and model of vehicle my airbag light came on. At first I didn't think anything of it and then I lost my horn and radio controls on my steering wheel. Since I had just read the investigation that is been initiated I knew that is what it was. It is the only part that powers the steering wheel. The campaign number for that is 15V483000. It still drives just as it always has but I don't have any steering controls and if I were to get in an accident hard enough to deploy air bags my drivers side would not deploy.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 172015

I had the oil changed and the latest recall done by the dealership. About 3 days later the radio went blank and black. Another problem has been the automatic locks. I have been unable to unlock rear passenger door except manually. And then all of a sudden the lock is not working at all on that side and I am unable to lock that door.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 142015

Add another 2010 VW owner to list of radio issues with the car. Car radio and bluetooth are no longer working. I checked the fuses per the owner manual, and radio is still not working. This looks like it's been happening quite a bit on the 2010 Jetta. This a big safety issue since I am unable to call with the bluetooth. I contacted VW of american, and they basically said I had to pay for a diagnosis test which I see as being pointless since I am already know the radio is dead. I don't understand the reason to have to pay $$$ so I can be told it's dead. If a lot of Jetta owners are having the same issue why is VW referring me to contact my local VW dealer to have this fixed when it's becoming a common occurrence on a lot of the cars. VW should be fixing the car radio on the car with this many complaints out there. Instead I am told to contact the service department.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Aug 032015

Drove car to work 0630, stereo worked fine. Left work at 1915, when I started my car, the stereo did not come on, screen was black, no sound. Thought maybe it blew a fuse. On my way home, the stereo started working again, just popped on. As I continued to drive it went off again, but loud a rhythimatic beat started thorough out each of the speakers, sounded like somebody hitting a microphone that was on! I arrived at my house shortly after that noise started (thankfully) and turned off my car. Removed the keys from the ignition but the loud noise did not stop!!! I had to open the hood and pull out some fuses to get it to stop! two weeks after this happened, my car died when waiting in a drive-thru. We had to push my car. My car would crank but not start. Nothing inside the car would work. I called my husband, he opened the hood, unhooked a fuse and it started! the next day my car was dead, had to put it on a battery charger. I'm afraid if I replace the stereo, it too will go out and possibly short out other electrical items in my car. As of now, the stereo is in place but unhooked and my battery is fine. There must be a reason why this is happening too so many people with the same stereo.

- Castle, OK, USA

Aug 202015

Radio & bluetooth suddenly stopped working. No power. Fuses were checked and all are good. Reviewing internet and seems that this is a very common problem not covered by warranty. Appears to be a safety issue since bluetooth no longer working.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Jul 112015

Radio was working fine one minute than the next it was dead. I had the fuses check for the radio none of them were blown. I was actually stranded from a tire blow out with no hands free use of my radio which the police officer that helped me said that was a serious safety issue and there's no reason for a manufactured radio on a 2010 car to go out. Needless to say I see online a lot of other customers are in the same situation and Volkswagen has done nothing. In some states it is against the law to talk on your phone it must be hands free.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Aug 172015

I have owned this car since purchasing new in Oct 2010 with the dealer doing all the maintenance work on it. On 8/30/13 the radio went dead, dealer replaced at no cost to me. This morning 8/17/15 I again have a dead radio, same as before, I called dealer and asked when they replaced the prior one and it is almost 2 years to the date! this time they said I would have to pay to replace it (I have never had a factory radio go bad in any car I have owned in 30 plus years of driving cars). I can live without the radio, but I like the safety of having the hands free bluetooth to talk on the phone. I have been thinking about purchasing a new Jetta for myself and giving this one to my teenage son, but I think I better unload this one if the radio is going to keep dying every 2 years. Btw when I bought the car, the manager of the dealership told me VW wanted to increase its market share. Hereż's a hint VW - you will not increase market share if you will not stand behind your whole product. You obviously have a problem here with this radio unit; do the right thing by replacing the units as they fail.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Aug 042015

Started car this morning and hit the power button on for the radio - nothing. After doing some research on the web, found this is a common problem with the premium 8 VW radio. Fuses that were easily accessible checked out fine. Radio is completely dead. Using reset instructions from the web did not work. Radio worked fine yesterday when I turned it off at home.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Jul 012015

Built in bluetooth / radio is defective, leaving passengers unable to use hands free technology, and also eliminates the national alert system. The dead radio also leads to a parasitic battery drain, which will kill the battery of the car, leaving people stranded, potentially in extreme weather situations. This is a very well known issue with thousands of known cases online, yet nothing has been done.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 262015

While driving on the highway yesterday there was a pop sound from the delphi premium 8 (rns-510?) radio and it went dead. Checked the fuses and found that they were all ok. Looked online and found that this appears to be a known/common complaint. It leads me to wonder if there are other electrical issues going on, and what repairs those will lead to. I called the local VW dealership (al serra) this morning and they haven't called back. From everything that I'm reading online, it is costly to replace the stereo. This seems to be more than a "coincidence" and VW should be held accountable.

- Monument, CO, USA

May 292014

Complete failure of premium 8 audio. Possibly caused by incorrect rating fuses installed in both engine compartment fuse block and rear of head unit. Unavailability of hands-free phone phone use is a safety issue. 1000's of complaints filed everywhere.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Jun 122015

Radio suddenly stopped working. No power. Black screen. I checked the fuses and took the car to an audio sound place - they took out the radio to check the fuse in the back. All fuses work, radio is grounded and power is fine. Radio is dead. Seems there are quite a few 2010 Jettas with this same issue with the delphi radio - I read somewhere that perhaps the fuse for the radio should be a 10A not a 15A and that some board is getting fried with the higher fuse...who is accountable?

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA

Jun 282015

VW Jetta sportwagen 2010. The radio was playing, I heard a small "pop" and the radio quit working, no lights, no sound. The blue tooth is played thru the radio so this no longer works either. This is a safety hazard as I can no longer use bluetooth to talk on the phone. In fact in some states I travel thru it is illegal to use the phone without bluetooth. One of the reasons I bought this car was the blue tooth option. It is not the fuse. There are hundreds of online complaints about this model and year VW radio. I

- Chepachet, RI, USA

Sep 172014

I purchased a 2010 VW Jetta just over a year ago at this point. I loved it at first, it's a clean diesel. Within 3-4 months of owning it the stereo has gone out. VW has chosen to ignore this issue even though it's a known issue! it's draining batteries, causing electrical and fuse issues which could lead to substantially more dangerous issues in the future. Please help those of us who are fighting this battle. It's 100S if not 1000S to get fixed and it's absolutely unreasonable..

- Penrose, CO, USA

Jun 222015

Drove the car in the afternoon and parked it at an office building. Got back into my car about an hour later and when the car turned on, the radio was completely black. Nothing worked and would not turn back on. Checked fuses and they seemed to be fine. Took it into the dealer and after several hours of looking at it, they said there was something wrong with the radio wiring and there was no way to fix it with a new part and the only parts available were refurbished parts for at least the sale of $600+! this is a ridiculous amount of money for just a radio I think when there are parts cheaper after market. I only had the car for almost 5 years, it shouldn't have these problems so soon!

- Canton , MI, USA

May 042015

Hands free/bluetooth/radio not working. Screen went dead suddenly. Fuses checked and all are ok. Inability to use audio unit is a safety issue. Called East coast VW in englewood, NJ and dealer stated car out of warranty. Car is a 2010 VW Jetta with 47,000 miles. Volkswagen of America contacted to no avail. Logged complaint with better business bureau. Battery replaced due to drainage.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

May 152015

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the bluetooth feature failed to work whenever the radio was inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Amesbury , MA, USA

Jun 012015

VW 2010 tdi - radio dead. Completely went black, unresponsive. Discovered wrong fuse in line with radio - 15A when it should have been 10A according to spec. This over time caused the radio to fry. VW of a doesn't care about this issue and gives the standard reply that it is not under warranty. A 5 year old vehilce, with 100K miles - the radio should not be failing at this age, further, this is a 1000+$ fix. Ridiculous

- San Francisco, CA, USA