2010 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

May 092015

On May 9th, we started our car after after a wedding and reception, the radio was blank, also has factory bluetooth.called our dealer and tried to get goodwill adjustment for radio.was told radio was out of warranty.opened a case with VW, had dealer pull radio, the dealer called assistance radio cost is $775, not counting installation.I think this is a safety issue, because bluetooth doesn't work, because radio does not.2010 VW Jetta SE.

- Carolina Shores, NC, USA

May 152015

Radio went completely dead. Screen is blank and no response. Bluetooth and other features connected to the radio do work. Previous time in the car the radio was working fine. Now radio is dead and rest of car seams fine.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 132013

I had the ac compressor replaced, VW offered to replace part for free and I paid for labor at gunther VW in ft. Lauderdale in 2013. Now in 2015, the ac is not cooling again and I take my VW for the 100K mile service. I ask gunther to check on the ac system and the ac failed a performance test. Ac compressor, radiator and cooling fan needs to be replace at a cost of $1300! rediculous! the quality of this car and its components is aweful! ive never heard of an ac system needing to be replaced less than 5 years of manufacturing date of car, on top of an ac compressor replacement under 75K miles. I would like VW to cover the cost of the parts needed to run my ac at optinum condition.

- Pembroke Pines, FM, USA

May 132015

Radio suddenly quit. I see from the internet that this happens a lot with Jettas. I have never had a factory radio just stop working in any other car I have owned. This is an expensive repair.

- Delran, NJ, USA

May 132015

Driving down highway, cars radio just dies completely stops. Quickly moved over not knowing what was wrong. Worried something could happen to car itself. Got home checked fuses which were fine.turned car back on, vehicle dash is displaying several indicators. Not sure if car is even safe to drive.Volkswagen didn't acknowledge issue even though there are several complaints similar to this.

- Mattapoisett, MA, USA

Apr 232014

VW radio defect. Radio will pop and go dead, causing a 25 miliamp drain on battery until repaired.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 112015

Radio stopped working in VW Jetta tdi 2010 - I got into my vehicle and started the engine - after finding that the radio did not start up, I pushed the power button but with no success. I checked the fuse and it seems fine, then I looked up this issue online and found a significant number of complaints for the same exact year and model (tdi). As a result, I am unable to use bluetooth for hands free phone conversation which presents a safety issue.

- Freeland, MD, USA

May 042015

Jetta 4-cyl

I turned my car on and the radio was dead. The radio is also the bluetooth device and is now unsafe for me to use my phone while in the car. I have read that many other people have had the same problem with this vehicle.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Apr 272015

Jetta 4-cyl

The radio with bluetooth died at 90507 miles and now the battery and new battery loose charge. After doing research I found the same issue with several hundred other owners same model cars here hash tag #vwradiosjunk I considered this a safety issue as the radio effects the functioning of the car and bluetooth and seems to stop working due to a short over time causing battery discharge.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Apr 242015

I was driving around town this past Friday (4/24/15) and the radio made a loud "pop" sound and then it stopped working; the touchscreen went black and will not turn on or display the time. I checked all the fuses (including the one behind the radio), and they were all fine. After doing some research online, I learned this is a fairly common problem for this make and model ( but no real solution has been discovered. I believe there are enough instances of malfunction that this should be addressed by VW and a recall should be made.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 282011

The car affected is a 2010 VW Jetta tdi. Ever since I've owned the car, it has had an issue with running ruff or stalling out. At 30,426 miles I had the dealer look at the vehicle. They ran a diagnostic and test drive with no issues found. This enough for it to be noticeable, but no symptoms are present. I brought the car in again for the same issue on 12/8/14 at 83748 miles, but this time there was an esp error that flashed in the mdi display and then went away. The dealer could not verify the customer complaint. The service manager also stated that he had a similar vehicle with the same problem and the could also not be diagnosed. At the time the dealer told me that I could have the software upgraded and that would be a charge to me or I could have the injectors changed out and that would be covered under the extended warranty. The were charging according to how they were going to fix the problem, not on the issue itself. VW sent me the paperwork in April of 2015 to get my money back. The dealer recommended changing the mdi display, but was not sure this would fix the problem. My concern is that there is an issue that Volkswagen cannot diagnose that could possibly turn into a safety issue with the car stalling.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Feb 272015

Jetta 4-cyl

While driving, my bluetooth handsfree device, including radio popped and went dead. Additionally, I have already replaced the entire fuel system, two ac compressors and the thermostat. Major issues with this model.

- Coeur D'alene, ID, USA

Mar 262015

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 202015

Middle of snow in Texas (lots of road salts), I was stopping at a gas station to refuel. After refueling, the radio (delphi premium 8) did not turn on... touchscreen was blank, none of the lights turned on. Bluetooth light at the control buttons above worked and my phone connected. However, hands free calling is non-functional since the bluetooth requires the radio for the microphone and speakers. While I can survive without music, not having hands free is a huge safety issue as I take several phone calls while driving. Now that I am in the state of California, hands free is a legal requirement. I spent extra money to have the better stereo system with integrated bluetooth and now I am told I will have to spend upwards of $1000 to replace what is obviously a poorly built system which delphi and VW should recall.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Apr 162015

Jetta 4-cyl

Pop sound, battery is dead, radio and navigation system is inoperable. This issues is with hundreds of 2010 Jettas.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Apr 132015

Jetta 4-cyl

Rcd-510 radio stopped working and is confirmed "dead" by the dealer. No warning, no reason and no fix available. Bluetooth no longer works because it uses the radio to power car speakers, so cannot do "hands free" communication. VW says it is not responsible because the car is out of warranty. I have never had a radio fail -- I have under 60,000 miles on the car!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 032013

Jetta 5-cyl

I have a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta sportwagon. I have had to replace both rear door locks. The first stopped working shortly after the car was off warranty, but I made a fuss at the dealer and he replaced it for free. The driver side rear door I just had to replace--which I had to pay $500 to fix. This is not just a security issue but a real safety issue as well.--my brother's son is autistic, and he absolutely can not ride in my car if the rear doors cannot be safely locked. The dealer was not forthcoming about whether door lock failure is a common problem on Volkswagen--and I had trouble searching complaints on this website--so I don't know if this is a more widespread issue or not.

- Guilford, CT, USA

Jan 062015

My blue-tooth/radio just stopped working, black screen. I was also having battery problems around that time, car battery would be dead at random times. It seems this is a common problem with 2010 VW.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Mar 172015

This vehicle has been an electrical night mare. Started off around September of last year with an intermittent misfire. Dealer replaced intake assembly. A month later random cylinder misfires. It comes and goes with mil light coming on. Been in to dealer a couple times for this issue and they have not been able to resolve the issue. They keep wanting more money to diagnose. In January the battery kept dying. If it sat over night the battery would be dead. 1 year old battery. Had charging system checked at autozone and everything was good. This morning my wife went to drive car and the radio would not power up. So I started searching the web just like every other time we have had issues with this car. Turns out hundreds of 2010 models have had same issue and seems to lead on to more electrical issues down the road. I have had 15 year old vehicles with almost 300K miles and same factory radio in it working fine. I just traded off a 2001 Explorer with 200K miles that ran better than this 5 yr old Jetta. Voa gave me a claim number and want me to take it to a dealer which is ridiculous because I will be charged diagnostics and will not be covered as it is a luxury item. What about all the other electrical issues they have been unable to resolve.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Feb 132015

Jetta 4-cyl

I went to drive to work and turned on my car. No radio. Nothing. No power to it. Absolutely nothing. No bluetooth for safe and hands free driving, nothing. Can't get it fixed for less than $1000. Nothing to explain what causes it. No blown fuses no anything. No explanation whatsoever. I have done some research and found that this is a common problem...hey VW.....wake up and give me a new radio..... wow where is my recall.....

- Jamestown , NC, USA