2002 Volkswagen Passat drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Dec 152003

Passat GLX 4-Motion

After complaining to my dealer and meeting with VW�s regional representative about a driveline clunk in my 2002 Passat with 4Motion, I received the following letter from Volkswagen of America in Rochester Hills, Michigan. �Dear Sir: Mr. Karl Zerrenner, Field Operations Manager, requested I send you a letter regarding the drivetrain noise in your vehicle. The noise (clunk) during acceleration and deceleration is a normal operating characteristic of the Passat with 4-Motion. It is evident in virtually every vehicle configured the same as yours (meaning with 4-Motion)�. Yours truly, Bonnie Cramer (Volkswagen Customer Care) � I�ve stopped many drivers of 4-Motion Passats and have the driveline clunk. I posted this letter on another Passat site and the majority of people responded that they also have the clunk. I think it is absurd that VW of America would try to pass this off by saying that the clunk is a �normal operating characteristic of the Passat with 4Motion� and is in �virtually� all 4Motion Passats. It is my understanding that a vehicle that "has a defect that substantially impairs its value" may be classified as a lemon. When those of us who have Passats with a driveline clunk go to resell our cars, it is my opinion that prospective buyers will walk away. Who would to buy a car with a clunking driveline? Hence, the vehicle's value would be substantially impaired. I believe VW has sold us a car with a design flaw that they will correct in the future.

- , Moorpark, CA, USA