9.1

$2,832.00

1. replace engine (21 reports)
  3. dealer cleaned engine and replaced some unknown parts (8 reports)
  4. synthetic oil must be used (3 reports)
  5. remove the oil lift tube on pump and clean screen (2 reports)
  6. oil sludge removal machine (1 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 272008

Passat 1.8t

I've gotten the same problems - just like others have gotten for vw passat,OIL SLUDGE.

I just missed 2 oil changes recently ,so I'm gonna have to pay for all that...Unfair,it is not my fault.

I am pretty sure, I'll never have another vw.

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Oct 312007

Passat GLS Wagon 1.8T

It is a shame that VW has known about this problem and has not covered EVERYONE who has had this difficulty. They should already know that the pick up tube for the pump is too small, and that the engines should have been running on synthetic oil from the beginning. There should be a VERY low threshold to getting a new engine out of the deal.

- , Gtwn, TX, USA

Mar 032008

Passat 1.8L

This problem was to be covered by my extended drive train warranty but the warranty company wanted a service report first. My car dealer really did not have much of a service report to provide. Anyway, the Volkswagen repair shop stated that there was sludge buildup on the engine and the warranty company would not cover the repairs since this was a maintenance issue. I hardly see this has a maintenance issue and had to fork over $1178 out of my pockets. I saw that their were some reported problems on this same issue so I plan to take this issue up with the warranty company, tomorrow.

- , Riverdale, GA, USA

Jan 152008

Passat

My car had the oil pressure light come on, then the engine light. The car had to be towed. I was in a different state at the time. Had to call several Volkswagen dealers before I could find one that would even consider looking at the car within the next 24 hours. I had to leave the car in Minnesota for over two weeks waiting for Volkswagen to approve the repairs. Yes, I did have to provide proof of all oil changes and work done to the car before Volkswagen would approve the repairs. The engine should have been replaced, but Volkswagen would not pay for that. Instead they repaired the car. By the time it had been driven back to Wisconsin the engine light was on again. This time the car went to the local Volkswagen dealer and I ended up with a bill of $1200. It isn't over yet. I still need another $1000 of work.

I really liked my Passat and was planning on driving it for a long time. No longer.

- , Plover, WI, USA

Sep 262006

Passat GLS 1.8t

Practically out of the Major Auto dealership lot, the check engine light started going off. I took it back and was told it was coils and sensors. After several trips to Major, they finally told me my time with them was up and I needed to go to away. I should have got out right from the start but it was my first car and I was absolutely clueless. People were telling me that the check engine light often fails due to sensor problems and I shouldn't be that concerned. Little did they know. I could't pass my first inspection because of it. The mechanic at the inspection site sent me to another auto mechanic and told me to pray that it was my catalyic converter. Thank God it wasn't because I was quoted a couple of thousand to have it fixed. I'm not sure what the mechanic did but the light went out for a while (at least to pass inspection). After my first oil change, the oil pressure light came on with the ominous STOP! turn off the engine. I was terrified until this became a common occurrence and no one could find the cause. Finally, the car broke down on 9/26/06 and had to be towed. My first dealing with Big Apple Volkswagen, the rudest (that's your problem tone of voice) customer service center. Initially they wanted to try and charge me but luckily I had a tough talking insurance adjuster who told me to leave them to him. $5000 dollars( covered under extended warranty), several phone calls and no loaner later, I happily had my car back. Or so I thought.

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 172008

Passat 1.8L Turbo

This freakin wagon has turned out to be a recurring nightmare! The first # of months it spent in the shop on & off should have told me-guess im slow. The turbo in this 4 cyl. engine is trash! Come to find out its advised you add premium gas. Now this oil sludge thing has created an entire new headache...bringing back the fact i need to fix the turbo AGAIN! 2002 Passat turbo is a great little wagon for those who don't have a problem & are in search of one.

- , Merriam, KS, USA

Nov 272007

Passat 1.8L

Bought this Certified Pre-owned Car 20 months ago. I have put less than 24K miles on it but it has been in the shop at least 16 times. Most recently the oil pressure light came and the engine sounded horrible. I have had 3 estimates and they are wildly different and incredibly expensive.

Spoke with the Service Manager, Mario at Pasadena Volkswagen and he informed me that they have to have all of the receipts for the car before they can make the repairs that are under warranty. I have NEVER heard of anything like this. At this point, it appears that they will do nothing with the vehicle until they receive the receipts

- , Sierra Madre, CA, USA

Nov 232007

Passat TD 1.8L

I've owned 15 cars and i must say this is the worse automobile I've ever owned. From day 1 the annoying warning lights, water leaks the engine sludge, just too many other problems to list. was really looking forward to buying a Toureg but i will never own another VW. very disappointed.

- , Hiram, GA, USA