2002 Volkswagen Passat engine problems: oil sludge resulting in engine failure

Oil Sludge Resulting In Engine Failure

2002 Volkswagen Passat (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Volkswagen dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

9.1

$2,832.00

1. replace engine (19 reports)
  3. dealer cleaned engine and replaced some unknown parts (8 reports)
  4. synthetic oil must be used (3 reports)
  5. remove the oil lift tube on pump and clean screen (2 reports)
  6. oil sludge removal machine (1 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Passat engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 242012

Passat GLS 1.8L T

I bought my 2002 passat in 2009. I have had Warranty until 2012. I always got a synthetic oil changes at factory recommended time/miles.

My car broke down with low oil pressure, I got it towed to my mechanic to find out engine and turbo failure due to oil sludge. I had to shell out a $4000 to fix it.

I am up for suing VW to get my money back.

Thanks

rex

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Passat Highline 1.8t

I had an oil service on the card just a few months before. No mention as to oil sludge in system, still they refused to fix the problem on their account. Engine shut down to safe mode and was not drivable when it stopped. They changed a few parts after flushing the entire oil system. Turbo seems to be okay from what they said. Car currently works as it should, although I'm currently unsure if the problem has been removed by changing oil type. All services have been done at the dealership.

- , Sandefjord, Vestfold, Norway

Jan 232013

Passat GL

Engine light came on while driving. Took the car into a mechanic who thought it could be the oil pump. After researching, I came to learn it was oil sludge. On the way have CarMax look at it the engine shut down. Needless to say, my leverage was negatively impacted when it showed up to CarMax on a tow truck. They gave me $1,000 for it.

- , Trophy Club, TX, USA

Jan 162012

Passat 3.2L

I bought a VW Passat October 2010. After taking it home I ended up taking it back on that Monday for various problems. They took 90 days to fix my car. My complaint here is that the oil light came on and I took if to get an oil change. The mechanic told me that there was sludge in the engine and that he could not five me a receipt for the change. The motor is running loud and I understand that this my cause me to have to change the oil pump or motor. VW has had several complaints about this problem and they won't do anything about it. It appears to be a design problem.

- , Redford Township, MI, USA

Nov 162011

Passat 1.8L T

I bought this 2002 model VW Passat 1.8T about a year and a half ago with 86,000 miles on it. Event though I had not heard about the sludge problem, I put in synthetic oil a couple of times (last change actually just a week prior to the damage). About a couple of weeks ago, the car started flashing the oil pressure warning at me, but only for a second or so, then returned to normal. Now the oil pressure light is on constantly, and it was diagnosed as having the sludge problem.

Now, I was never notified of the sludge problem by the class action suit, and as far as I can tell, it will only cover damages until February or so 2011. My car was delivered in August 2001, so I am falling out of the 10 year coverage by just a few months. Both the class action suit administrator and VW are denying any claims. My VW dealer has allegedly talked to VW, and they have "declined" to help.

Is my only remedy now to "decline" to consider the purchase of any VW in the future? has anybody had some luck in a similar situation with getting help from VW?

- , Golden, CO, USA

Aug 142011

Passat GLS 1.8L Turbo

It's 8/15/2011 - I bought a nice 2002 VW w/ 85000 miles on it. After 6 months I put 10k on it and decided to buy something w/ even better gas mileage so I just sold it to a nice young couple that just had a baby (and lived through a recent tornado). The next day the stop engine light came on and the engine seized. They towed it to the dealer and they are saying it's due to sludge and the engine needs to be replaced. It's going to cost $5k. (which they bought the car for $4500 so go figure). I'm up tonight trying to figure out what I'm going do... I hate that it happened and I'm probably just going to give them their money back. But the way I see it VW has a chance to create 2 very happy customers or 2 anti-VW customers. I've read about the lawsuit and if VW would cover at least 1/2 it would be nice.. I would cover the other half and he would still have a great car.. IF not they'll have 2 people that will never buy another VW again. Wish us luck.

- , Rome, GA, USA

Mar 242011

Passat PGS 1.8L Turbo

I got this car (2002 Passat 1.8T) from a car dealer, who said he bought it from an auction. I put 1200 miles on it after getting the car, and the car ran fine for a while and then suddenly I saw oil spill wherever I park it. I pulled the oil dipstick put and it has a sludge that looks like white chocolate color viscous fluid all over the dipstick when I pulled it out, I took it to a mechanic after his inspection, he said the history is someone turned the turbo off and there are multiple places where he can see the oil leak. he said its going to cost a lot to repair it so I asked him to take an engine from a salvage yard and just switch it, lets see what he comes up with. Never a Volkswagen again........what a piece of crap I bought, even the VW dealership says the car is a fine buy after looking a it for any faults.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 132009

Passat 1.8L Turbo

The car started taking several times to start, and the camshaft position sensor threw an error. We replaced the sensor, but the problem persisted. Eventually we were driving home and the car just shut off. The engine was completely destroyed and we had to replace it.

Unfortunately, we didn't know about this sludge problem at the time so we put a used engine in it (about 60,000 miles on the new engine), thinking the first one was due to some kind of fluke mechanical failure. Now with our second engine reaching the 70 -80,000 mile mark, it is doing the exact same thing! This time it is a royal pain in the butt! We are moving and my wife is having a baby this month and the car just decided it won't start!

We've loved the car, I just wish it had a decent engine.

- , Logan, UT, USA

Dec 212010

Passat 1.8L

I do not know anything about cars. I just knew something was wrong. I DROVE the car to the mechanic, and left it. They called me a few days later and said they did some research online and that it was an oil sludge buildup problem that would be easy to fix. Would run about $500. A week later they called and told me the timing belt was broken, and that the oil sludge stopped the cam shaft and froze the lifters. They also said that now the car will not even start and that I need a new engine. They could get me a used one for $2,500 and with $1,500 in labor, I could have the car back for around $4,000. OR that I could give them $300 for what they did do and tow the car home. Now my question is this... From what I've found out, if the timing belt was broken, I would not have been able to drive my car to them in the first place. I'm just so upset and really do not know how to talk to these mechanics and basically need some advice... They intimidate me and I really feel as if they are taking advantage of me.

- , Trinidad, TX, USA

Sep 132010

Passat 1.8L Turbo

bought the 2002 VW Passat Feb 3,2010..bought extended warranty for it..did oil changes and maintained my car with extented warranty expectations. was driving the car and it just STOPPED completley..took it in warranty was denied.. now i read this and the oil sludge has never crossed my mined so i thought previous owners did not maintaine vehical .now by reading all of this complaints i realize its not the previous owners it the whole manufactor who has failed to do the RECALL on the probleme...somebody has to pay to repair our vehicals ...we try to protect ourselfs well in my case with warranty and even at that they fail so now i'm paying a car i can NOT DRIVE ...And still have to carry a note .

- , Temple, TX, USA

Aug 282010

Passat 1.8L Turbo

I am the second owner of this vehicle and have received some recall notices on it, but never anything about sludge engine problems. This is the third time this problem has happened since I have owned my Passat. Nov. 13, 2006, Nov. 24, 2009, Aug. 28, 2010. When will there be a class action suit? VW clearly knows there is a problem and wants brand loyalty. What about customer loyalty and doing the Right thing and fixing the problem so is does not affect our engines!!!

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

May 192010

Passat Sedan 1.8t

VW passat needs to get in touch those who own a 2002 VW Passat 1.8T, because it is ridiculous what is going on with these cars, this way their market and consumer demand will drop sky rocketing down the hill if nothing will be done to compensate what we as consumers have to go through. If there is any other group that is getting votes together. please let me know, and i wanna be part of it, this is not how business is being done! Supposed to be about consumer satisfaction, is there such a thing anymore, or just to make a sale and see you later. If you are a car maker than you should stand behind your product and make sure what you do will serve the consumer not other way around, where you still end up making money by consumers ordering parts every other day, and this is not the way we can be safe on the road, this will just cause more accidents and others will be in danger! LETS DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

- , Thomasville, GA`, USA

Jan 052009

Passat 1.8L T

Let's just call a spade a spade - the 2002 Passat is a piece of sh*t !

I will never never never buy another VW. Too bad we didn't nuke the Germans!!

- , Johnson City, TN, USA

Jan 202010

Passat 1.8L Turbo

I had just bought this car and have a $3,500 loan. I now have a car loan for a car I cannot drive. VW should be ashamed to have produced a product like this! I will never by another VW car and will tell everyone who will listen that they should avoid VWs. Let me know if there is a lawsuit. VW should be paying for a new engine because they have known about this problem.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 212010

Passat

I bought this car for my daughter in 2002 when she was a sophomore in high school hoping this would take her through college. I also bought the fidelity insurance policy as well as oil changes. My daughter took the car to the dealer for the oil changes and the dealership USED REGULAR OIL!!!! At 50,000 miles the engine had to be replaced.....Neither VW or Fidelity Insurance would bear the cost of repayment.....a few oil changes were not in what they called a timely manner.....whatever....the wrong oil was used and neither the company, dealership, or insurance company would man-up....we still have the car....and always making costly repairs.....what a piece of junk

- , LaSalle, MI, USA

Feb 112010

Passat 1.8t

Never in all my working of vehicles have I had such a pain in the ass of changing an oil pump. What the Hell???? remove the front bumper? ok. Now pull the entire front assembly away from the body? Ifyou say so. It took some extra steps, but I did finally find the root of the problem to my oil pressure problem. The oil lift tube has a screen in it that had become restricted with the crystalized particles (sludge?) of oil. Poor design only gives approx 2.5 square inches of screen to pass through. Anyway, we removed the pump and lift tube. I went ahead and replaced the pump since I was in there. The lift tube was let soak in carb. cleaning solution, then cleaned. Same was done for the oil pan interior. I saw signs of low oil use in the pan, which I believe was a catalyst to my problem. Bottom line: A little elbo grease and frustration saved me thousands of dollars. Hope this gives some insite to what is being seen in these engines.

- , Samson, AL, USA

Jan 122010

Passat 1.8L

Volkswagen is aware of this design problem so they extended the warranty for eight years from date of purchase for those who have proper records of car maintenance history. The problem is oil sludge is building up and destroying oil pump and then engine. Fix is an engine replacement which is more than the current blue book value of car. I am eight years plus 20 days so they will not cover damage to car. I now have a worthless car. I am looking to see about a class action suit. Please contact me if you have any information regarding this. Trish B

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 162009

Passat V4 Turbo

A light came on the dash saying STOP CAR. Took to the dealer, was told oil turned to sludge killing the engine. Apparently this is a known problem from VW. The oil change was done by husband by the service manual with the recommended oil and filter. The dealer mechanic said the recommendations have changed and this is a common problem. The car has no value now and I must get a new car. Last month the heated seat ignited burning a hole through the seat onto my clothing. I will never buy a VW or recommend one to anyone.

- , Stanhope, NJ, USA

Oct 012009

Passat

You must have your engine put on the sludge draining machine every 50k miles and it will last. The cost of a shop doing the de-sludging machine is $150 average. Small price to pay. It would also help to buy an aftermarket oil cooler at your local parts store. Average around $40 with hoses. Another small price to pay to enjoy your car.

sux to have to pay anything extra but it sure helps save your car and the save you from the frustrations and problems.

Alot of the Camry's had this problem with the V6's. I have to do this treatment (which is recommended by the dealer) every 90k miles on my Solara but it sure makes the car run great and last.

- , Leland, NC, USA

Oct 012009

Passat Turbo 1.8L

this 2002 passat,,worst car I ever owned...please don't ever buy one these car from vw....nothing but trbl since day one about 3 years ago..thank god I had a warranty for first 2 years...new harness belt, new timing chain u name it on the engine..now boots need replaced ...all kinds electrical pblm/s....now the oil sludge plblm...I changed oil in my car every 3000 to 5000 miles...now that I have read all the complaints from this web site and other sites..this unblvbl that vw knows this a pblm and does nothing to fix it...this pblm I think is caused by a faulty oil cooling system...WHAT I CANT BELIEVE IS THAT A CLASS ACTION SUIT HAS NOT BEEN FILED AGAIST VW..if there is one please let me know...if I had the money I would take vw to court..but we're helpless...I still owe 6000 dollars on a car that does not start...guess I will try to a used engine...trade in at car lot..just might get vw credit union to come and get the car, default on loan and ruin my credit...seems I have no other choice...well if anybody has any ideas let me know...MORAL TO THE STORY...DO NOT BUY VW PRODUCTS.....

- , Houston, TX, USA