2013 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Passat:

2013 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 082015

Vehicle schedule for 40000 mile service. Engine warning light came on code P2196. Volkswagen did a computer update in January 2015 for 30000 mile service, 23N5 ECM software recall. Oxygen sensor (front) replaced was replaced by VW when I complained it should not have failed. The emission system is in question since the oxygen sensor is running rich. This year model should be added to recall for pollution system not function correctly. This model is diesel. Tdi

- Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 012015

On or about September 1,2015 I was driving my Passat and the check engine light came on. I finally managed to get an appointment at the dealership to have it diagnosed on the 5th of Sept. They said it is a P202B adblue heater and repairs would be around $1500. Why is this heater system going bad after only 2 and a half years? it seems like a lot of people are having this happen to their Passats and the repair is way out of line for this new of a car. We bought this car new because we heard that it would last a good 300,000 miles. I want volkswagon to recall this faulty part and take care of this issue.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 132015

Vehicle was taken to the dealer due to unable to fill up with diesel. Pump nozzle acts as if the tank is full, using VW adapter or "angle" the nozzle results in diesel spraying out at the person operating the fuel pump. VW dealer found dirt obstructing the diesel vent tube off the filler neck, while all the factory fender lining in place. Extended warrantee contract declined claim, since it is not a defective tube, but rather defective design. Vent is not part of the "federal emission" and VW wants $1700 for new gas tank and $700 for labor. First occurrence of this problem was at 40K miles, at that time dealer "could not replicate the issue".

- Elizabeth, CO, USA

Jul 122015

Passat 4-cyl

Driving on a country road with my wife and 2 young daughters, the car suddenly began misfiring and lost power. I was able to coast it to the side of the road. California highway patrol showed up shortly after and stopped to make sure we were alright. Fortunately, we had a cellular signal and we were able to contact a tow service. Unfortunately, the vehicle had to be towed >100miles (for $700) to the dealership. They determined that there was a failure of the high pressure fuel pump. They are sending the fuel out to a lab first to verify that I didn't put biodiesel in it; I didn't. they estimate that I will be without my vehicle for 7-14 days, depending on how badly the debris is inside the fuel line and engine. The dealership does not have a loaner, VW doesn't offer a rental and I'm on the hook for the tow service. I will be out of pocket over $1000 when all is said and done, all because of a component(s) that clearly has design flaws or quality issues. Assuming, VW confirms they will pay for the repair...which I'm still waiting on....updated 09/22/15 updated 3/23/2016

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 192014

On November 19th at approximately 4:30 pm, as I was pulling into my garage, the car just accelerated uncontrollably and crashed into my husbands work bench which was against a concrete wall. Damaging front of car, windshield, workbench, steel storage cabinet, etc.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Nov 092014

Passat 4-cyl

On 11/9/14 the turbo failed on my 2013 VW Passat with the tdi diesel engine. VW knows they are having a serious issue with their turbos on the tdi engine (europe currently has a class action law suit against them). In August I received a letter in the mail from VW extending my warranty on the turbo to 10 years/120000 miles. They are simply waiting for the turbos to fail rather than replacing them on all 2012 & 2013 Passats. This is a serious safety concern, when the turbo fails you loose all engine power (ie. GM ignition recall). This is an extremely dangerous position for VW to put its customers in who don't have the knowledge of what to do in a situation when you loose engine power at highway speeds. Mine did just that, it failed on the highway resulting in no power. I would like to see VW recall these turbos and replace them in all the affected cars before it causes a fatality.

- Bristol , RI, USA

Mar 192014

Passat 4-cyl Diesel

While starting from a stop sign, vehicle seemed to have low power. Vehicle would accelerate, but very slowly. A few miles later, I had to stop for another car that had stopped to turn left into a driveway. When I attempt to accelerate after that car had turned, I had no power (vehicle was still running). I was able to coast to the side of the road, but a vehicle coming up from behind me had to brake quickly to avoid hitting my car from behind. I had the car towed to the dealer, which confirmed a failure of the turbocharger system and then replaced the turbocharger under warranty. Replacement of turbocharger appears to have fixed the problem.

- Penn Yan, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Turbocharger failed. Dealer is fixing under warranty. Dealer stated that there have been enough turbocharger failures on the diesel tdi that they are now stocking all turbo parts for repair.

- White Hall, MD, USA