6.4

2009 Acura TSX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Acura TSX:

2009 Acura TSX Owner Comments

Aug 192017

TSX

I went through a quart and a half of oil in less than 3000 miles. My car has less than 95 thousand miles on it, I've only owned it 9 months and bought it second hand thinking it would be reliable,only to find out now it's got a problem with oil consumption. My 98 cl didn't eat that much oil and it had 150 grand on it! The dealership said they will do the test for consumption and after 1000 miles 1 quart is normal for a old car to consume Except my 1998 never did or any of my other cars so I already am seeing where this may be going. I really am not looking forward to the problems with this car I've already done a new battery brakes and a new tire and now the oil problem! It's starting to seem like a headache for a Reliable car. I'm starting to think I should have stayed with the 98! I never had this many problems in a short span of time. Oh yeah the hood when you hit a bump rattles like a tin can like it's going to catch wind and fly over the roof.

- Kim R., Guilford, US

Sep 012015

TSX

I got the warranty extension notification for the oil consumption issue, and immediately took my vehicle into the dealership for an oil consumption test. They told me that my oil level was perfect after 1000 miles, and sent me on my way after a $56 oil change.

On a side note, they also told me that my brake pads were at 5mm, and my lights on my vehicle all worked. They stopped me as I drove away for the blown tail light, and three weeks later my brake pads were at 2mm confirmed by two different mechanics at two different shops. Both showed me the actual brake pads. I didn't go from 10 to 5mm over a year, and then 5 to 2mm over the course of 3 weeks. I absolutely do not trust Acura of Pleasanton's diagnostic skills based on their inspection of my vehicle.

So now I complain to Acura directly, and am being given the run around by a "case manager" who never answers her phone when I call, and only calls while I am at work. Her name is Christine. Christine basically told me that the dealership is right, I am wrong, and seems to have no concern over my reluctance to take the dealership at their word. In addition, she seems to not care at all about the terrible job the dealership did, and is not offering any remedy for that either, but that is the least of my worries.

I currently am adding at least 3 quarts between oil changes, on a car that holds less than 5 quarts. They are telling me this is normal, and I should change my oil when the oil life is at 50%. Well, at 70% my oil light came on last week, and I had to add another quart. They are telling me this is normal, but I have never owned a car that I've had to add oil to between oil changes. Not even in my Chevy.

In addition to all of this, my doors have stopped unlocking when I use my FOB or the unlock button. I can only manually unlock and lock them. I guess Acura will tell me this is normal too?

Regardless, Acura has issued the warranty extension, obviously knows there is an issue, and refuses to treat the problem. My next step will be an attorney.

- Cassandra Q., Tracy, CA, USA

Jan 012012

TSX

Not long after purchasing my 2 yr old Acura TSX I noticed I had to keep adding oil to this car. I have taken it to all scheduled maintenance appointments and had even mentioned it to the mechanic that it seems to be burning through a lot of oil. He looked into it and said this was what it should be using. Shortly after, the check oil level light came on and we had to fill it with 5 bottles of oil. Since then I have been constantly topping off the oil in between oil changes. This is crazy, we bought a high end car so we wouldn't have problems but now if there's no fix we are thinking to get rid of it.

- Nicky A., Foster City, USA

May 182015

TSX V4

My car is running low on oil before the maintenance cycle, sooner and sooner each year. This actually started last year Sept 2014, but I added a quart of oil and ended up with a sooner oil change in September. My car this year required a quart of oil in March, and then once again in May. My display says I'm at 30% oil life. Finally I gave up and had an oil change today 7/1 hoping fresh new oil will increase the life of the oil. I use pure synthetic oil now with the correct Acura specifications. Oil change was done at the dealer in Glendale.

- Mari G., Pasadena, CA, USA

Apr 102014

TSX 4cyclinder

I actually bought the car used with no warranty (mistake on my part!!!!!). I tend to believe that is probably why the previous owner got rid of the car was due to the excessive oil consumption. I bought the car out of desperation due to my previous car. However, six months into me having the 09 Acura TSX, I notice that I was getting oil changes too often thus spending too much money. The money spending is what really caught my attention!

My oil light and engine light would come on often stating that I needed an oil change/check. But what I would also notice is that when the light came on, my oil life percentage would read between 70/60 as well as the dipstick underneath hood would read no oil at all. So in other words every 1k miles I was loosing about a quart to a quart and a half.........I am so pissed! Ive done several oil test consumption with Acura, and now they are saying it's possible that something is wrong with the piston's rings, in which Honda/Acura are aware of this ongoing problem with their cars!!!!! I think I might have bought a bad car out of the lot of cars that was made. I need Acura/Honda to own up to its mistakes and responsibly handling the several complaints about oil consumption in the Acura/Honda vehicles.

Very disappointed in Acura/Honda!!!!

- lpt1nice, Gaithersburg, MD, USA