8.0

$100

2. replace engine (5 reports)
  3. replace piston rings (1 reports)
2018 Jeep Renegade engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Jeep Renegade:

2018 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 152022

Renegade Limited 2.4L V4

This is the 3rd time this happened, the engine service light came on and car stopped suddenly which I was driving. So basically each month, it's happening one time with about 1,000 mileage driving, just as the other consumers described same situation. I went to the dealer and also called Stellantis customer service, and was told low oil pressure and engine service is maybe the reason caused the issue, the engine (2.4 L V4) is the issue. Dealer service manager told me they need to monitor again for 1,500 mileage and bring it back. But I lost my patience and my trust on this Jeep Renegade already. Now I just hope I will be safe before I can get rid off this car and plus I just spent $1000 to put brand new tires on this car. I really hope I can get my money back if I have to sell it.

Mar 262022

Renegade Limited 2.4L V4

Since the last time this happened on 2/14, I was told I need to monitor the oil consumption, and then it happened 2nd time. The engine service light on while I was on the road and car couldn't move anymore. The car behind me almost hit me. I drove slowly to the dealer and was told they need to reprogram it, but basically they didn't explain to me why it happened again.

Feb 142022

Renegade Limited 2.4L V4

The low oil pressure light was on and then the car suddenly stopped while I was on the road driving. Luckily there was no car behind me, otherwise I could have got caught in the accident. Talked to dealer about my car and was told there was recall service and they reprogramed it but they didn't tell me this could happen again.

Jan 102020

Renegade Limited 2.4L

Here we go again. My fifth complaint. I was not due for oil change until 3500 miles yet, and oil light goes on again, and down a quart of oil. This is the 5th complaint. Go to the dealership, have an oil change, and they tell me everything is fine with the oil consumption test - yet this Jeep keeps burning oil. There's no leaks at all.

A very good friend of mine is now keeping an eye on this burning oil problem. He actually wrote me a letter which I gave to the dealership which states it is burning oil at the consumption of a quart of oil every 900 miles. The dealership states Chrysler will not repair or change an engine unless it is burning 3 quarts of oil when due for oil change, but the only problem is the oil light goes on before it is due to have an oil change. First time reading was 2774 miles, second time 3852 miles, third time 6991 miles, 4th time 7583 miles, and last 10,161 miles, all within 10 months. This should not be happening, and Chrysler should take care of this problem.

Cute Jeep but too many inconveniences having to deal with this burning oil. After the fact of leasing this Jeep I find that there are a lot of 2018 Jeep renegades that have this oil burning problem.

Sep 232019

Renegade Limited 2.4L

So I take my Jeep in again due to the fact that I received a free oil change in the mail. My jeep now reading 7583 miles. The fact of the matter is that this Jeep is not taking regular oil and taking synthetic oil - you are suppose to be able to go 6000 miles before an oil change. I have not had this Jeep a year yet and have been in for an oil change 4 times. One at 2774 miles, 6991 miles and one at 7853 miles. Plus this is my 4th complaint and I have to put one more in since we have to do each one separately. All I can say is I will keep up the maintenance but am so happy it's just a lease. The dealership told me that Chrysler will not change the engine unless it is burning at least 3 quarts per oil change. Great company!

Aug 192019

Renegade Limited 2.4L

Okay, here we go again for the third time, and third complaint. Mileage now at 6991, second time was 3852 and the first time was 2774 with the oil light going on way before oil change is due. Again, back at the dealership for them to do an oil consumption test and stating everything is okay and come back in 1000 miles so they can recheck. This has become such an inconvenience. Plus I now also have to put in a 4th complaint regarding the oil being down a quart of oil.

Jul 082019

Renegade Limited 2.4L

So this is my second complaint regarding my oil light going on before the mileage is up. The oil light goes on and is down a quart of oil for the second time. The first time reading 2774 miles and the second time reading 3852. Again the dealership asked me to come down so they can recheck it. Again they do an oil consumption test

Again they state everything is good and to go back in 1000 miles to recheck, and another 1000 miles after that. This is really beginning to be a problem for me...

Jun 132019

Renegade Limited 2.4L

One, I will say this being a lease, they would want to take care of the problem. Or not - they just keep checking the oil??? So at 2774 miles my oil light goes on, so I have a friend check it. He stated to me that there is NO - NO - reading on the dip stick, and at that time the oil was down 4 quarts. He was nice enough to have 2 quarts available, and I immediately went to Walmart, and they rechecked it, and added an additional 2 quarts. I called the dealership and they wanted me to come down the next day to check it but I was unable to so I went the following Monday 06/17/19 where they did an oil change and consumption test. They told me to come back at 1000 miles and they will recheck the oil. I go back at 1000 and they state the oil is fine.

I went back after another 1000 and they state the engine is fine. Unfortunately this is only the beginning of the problem of this 2.4 engine burning oil. It is an inconvenience to have to get to the dealership, when their working hours are the same as everyone else's. Since I now have 3 complaints I have to do this two more times. I am not a happy camper with this engine problem.

Jan 082020

Renegade Latitude

I bought my 2018 Jeep with 39 miles on it. Before it hit 5000 miles there was low oil light on that causes the car to stall...

After that I had several issues with low oil. At around 14,000 miles, a new engine had to be put in. Now with 1100 on new engine, the dipstick showed low oil once again.

I went through arbitration and they turned me down. This is a major safety issue!

- Debbie S., Canal Fulton, OH, US

Jun 262020

Renegade Limited

I had an appointment for an oil change the following week but I stopped into service and they added oil, which they reported was really low.

- Tracy S., Chicago, US

Jun 231922

Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L Tigershark

Car stalled on me and when it started up finally I went straight and checked the oil. No oil in it even though I changed the oil every time within 5000 miles. These engines are a piece of crap. Dealers won't do anything but lie to you about the oil consumption test and say that Fiat Chrysler does not have a fix for it. This is ridiculous and very aggravating to have to keep oil in it between changes and run back and forth to dealer for bull$#*t consumption test. I will never buy another JEEP.

- Marie T., Snow Camp, US

Aug 132020

Renegade 2.4L

My Jeep starting stalling while driving. I called the service center and they said to bring it in as I may need oil added. It was time to change my oil so I made an appointment to do so. Sure enough there was no oil on my dipstick, and two months later to the dot, the jeep stalled again. I checked the oil and sure enough it was not registering on the dipstick. I added oil and called the service center. I have an appointment today to start the consumption test. This time it occurred after I drove about 4,000 miles.

When the Jeep stalls, it happens out of nowhere with no warning or light coming on. I'm glad I wasn't on the highway causing an accident.

- Penny W., Urbana, US

Jan 212021

Renegade

Needs to be FIXED, PERIOD!!! High oil consumption, it was 3-1/2 quarts low!!!

- witter, St Thomas, US

Jun 062020

Renegade 2.4L

I bought the vehicle back in April 2020 with 26,252 miles. After the first few weeks the oil was low. I added the half quart that it needed. I was figuring the dealership just didn’t properly fill it after oil change. After that a few more weeks later it needed more oil and so on and so on. I believe the automaker needs to take accountability on a faulty engine!!!

- Gina W., Covington, US

Jan 132021

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Renegade oil over-consumption. Overall a good car, however, it has been burning over a quart per 1000 miles. I still owe over 24k on the car so I am worried about the longevity of the vehicle. I check the oil levels every week now. It burns the most oil of any car I have owned, including a Honda Civic with 250k miles.

- au79element, Port Hadlock, US

Nov 012019

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Bought a new 2018 Jeep Renegade and had stalling problems at 3000 miles. Took to dealership and was told they needed to do an oil consumption test for 1000 miles. I was afraid to drive it.

Told the service manager at the dealership, “YOU drive it and let it stall out on you on the interstate.”

Went to another Jeep dealer, told salesman the problem and was pressured to trade it in on 2019 Renegade. The manager and salesman at dealership told me there was no recall on Jeep Renegades and it would probably never happen again. 2019 Renegade is NOW IN THE SHOP AT DEALERSHIP with the SAME PROBLEM AT 3000 MILES!!! Only difference is their service tech is driving it 1000 miles for the oil test.

I haven’t heard back yet but just found there is a class action lawsuit filed May 8,2020 against Chrysler.

- Julie G., Lady Lake, US

Jan 062020

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE!!!

Bought this vehicle new off the showroom floor on July 1, 2019. They gave us a great deal because it was a 2018 and almost totally loaded. I really loved driving it at first. Then the weather got colder and I started to notice around 7,000 miles or so that the pickup was a bit sluggish. I figured this vehicle would be like my old car and I would get the "old change needed" message when it was time to get it done. This car does not have a oil life indicator like other vehicles. Vehicle started stalling on me right after 5 minutes of driving it with about 7500 miles on it. No lights on the dash, no messages. I figured it was the cold weather and I did not let the car warm up enough. Then it repeatedly stalled on me almost every day right after starting it for the first time, or at night as I was leaving work. The worst was on a really cold morning, I was heading to the gas station, the low fuel light was on, and as I was turning the corner to pull into the gas station, the car stalled. It refused to restart after 5 tries, I was sitting in traffic still and almost struck by a couple vehicles as well as a semi. Finally, the car started again and I got it into the parking lot. I got it to the pump, shut it off and put some gas in it. I got back in it, it started right up and I had no other issues.

The 22 of Dec I got a message that said oil change required. I thought nothing of it. No big deal, I can get it scheduled and changed after the holidays, no big deal. Wrong. The car continued to stall, the Low oil pressure message would briefly pop up and it continued to act sluggish.

The 6 of Jan I was leaving work close to midnight on a very cold night and the vehicle stalled and refused to start. After 15 minutes the vehicle started again, with the engine light on, and the red reduced power light flashing. The vehicle refused to go over 25 miles per hour. I got it a short distance away in a store parking lot. After 20 minutes I started it again and the engine light stayed on, the reduced power light was gone. It drove fine home. I called the dealership the next morning and was told to bring it in the following day to have it checked.

The service tech immediately began telling me when I dropped it off that it was probably an oil issue "Once the oil change light comes on you only have 72 hours to get it changed, then the engine stops circulating oil." I was speechless. 72 hours?? Who designed such a stupid engine? I did some research on NHTSA and found that this is a common theme with this vehicle. I was called the next morning to tell me it needed an oil change, there NO oil in the car when they checked it. Where did it go? Leaking seals? Burned off? Nope, the vehicle "consumed" oil, it was normal I was told. I told the service tech that I was not a female idiot, and to stop talking to me like I was one. I was the daughter of a master mechanic, the stepdaughter of an aircraft mechanic. Engines consume GAS, not oil. I know what a crankcase, valves and pistons are and how they work. Whoever had designed that engine should have been horsewhipped. And I told them that much. I was then told that Chrysler considers 1/2 qt of oil consumed every 1000 miles "acceptable". So I would need to check the oil often. A new car, less than 10,000 miles, and I was supposed to keep checking the dipstick all the time.

We are getting rid of this vehicle ASAP. As soon as we can get finances worked out and clue the bank in on what the problem is, that car is OUT of my driveway. My next contact will be the Ohio Attorney General and the EPA to clue them in on the mess these cars are causing.

- Kellie C., Dayton, OH, US

Jul 242019

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

Bought new. Reported 3.5 qt low at 2800 miles. FCA would not authorize repair until 7500 miles. Used 1 quart every 700 to 800 miles. Has been in for service follow up 7 times since purchase for over 40 days in shop in 8 months. New engine being installed. FCA says 1 qt in 2000 miles is normal oil use ....I say not on the car I drive....I've had about 10 new cars, none burned oil, that is what I expect.

- sadjeep, Marysville, US

Aug 022019

Renegade 2.4L

I was driving about 40 miles per hour and my car stalled and my power steering went out. I got it to the side of the road and called my husband. He told me to turn it off and turn it back on. I did and went home. I called the dealership and they said it was low on oil. I was like, so none of my lights came on for an oil change or that my oil pressure was low. I said why? They said those only come on when it is really low. I said so stalling going 40 miles an hour on a logging truck road isn't low enough. I bought my jeep in December new. We had the oil changed at 8,000 miles. If something was behind me I wouldn't be here today. If the jeep is using that much oil and NOT telling you its low something is wrong.

- Dione W., Symsonia, US

Jul 202019

Renegade Trail Halk 2.4L

I bought this Jeep 3 months ago. Loved everything about it so far except for the gas mileage. "20mpg" My friends mom also has a Renegade she said her oil light came on. So I checked my oil, surprised it was low I figured a quart with 3500 miles. I called the dealer and they said the break in oil from the factory will burn some to just add a quart. So I got a quart and it is 2 quarts low. I called and have a apt. next Fri for a oil change and oil consumption test. The service guy at the dealer said Dodge don't consider high consumption until it's more then a qt per 500 miles which is BS. I had two brand new Hyundai and never used any oil in 100,000 miles.

- jeep ?, Mineral Point, US