2012 Lexus CT 200h engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

3.1

2012 Lexus CT 200h engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Lexus CT 200h:

2012 Lexus CT 200h Owner Comments

Jan 012018

CT 200h

2012 Lexus ct200H (now is 84K miles)is burning bad...I been searching on google and find out a lot of similar issues on ct200H burning oil...I try to contact the dealership, but no reply so far...the engine started burning oil at 60K miles...

- Wylie, TX, USA

Apr 242018

CT 200h

Engine knock during idle in morning (cool conditions, not cold).but still smooth driving and no other observed issues. Then two days later threw code P0301 misfire, and next day white smoke (coolent reservoir decrease) and appears to be blown head gasket. Engine only 122K miles, fully serviced with spark plug change at 119K. NHTSA service bulletin L-sb-0028-13 may indicate link to egr valve/line blockage. Dealer non-responsive.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Feb 052017

CT 200h

1) a light in a dashboard came on saying "check hybrid system", I  took it to the Lexus dealer, they changed the non hybrid battery), charged me $350 for it and reset the computer. 2) a week after,  the light started appearing again with the same message, the message appeared in the morning, in the way back home, coming out of the speedway, all the lights in the dashboard came off (brakes, engine, all of them) and I lost complete control of the car: No brakes, no steering, no nothing. I tried restarting the car again, it did, and the next day was driven to the dealer again. They took it in, had it over 2 days, said that they found a "loose cap in the hybrid battery", reset the computer one more time and  gave the car back to me. 3) the car did not feel the same, it was like if the switch between hybrid and gas model was off, too accelerated or something, but for the most part no major issues until yesterday (a week and a half after the previous incident). Same thing happened this time, while driving the car, all the lights on the  dashboard came on and the car lost everything: Brakes, steering....impossible to control. I was lucky one more time and nobody was hurt. This time the car did not start again. We called a tow truck and sent it to the dealer. Loosing absolute control of the vehicle is not aceptable. I felt I was trapped in a killing machine. This complete system failure happens while driving. I communicated this to Lexus.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 222014

CT 200h 4-cyl

Complete loss of power in both the gas engine and in the hybrid electric engine while going 70 mph, both the alarm systems-audible and dash went off. With no power I was able to get off the highway without crashing the car.

- Tequesta, FL, USA