NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

0.7

2002 Pontiac Aztek brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Aztek:

2002 Pontiac Aztek Owner Comments

Jul 252013

Aztek 6-cyl

In a hard stop in stop-and-go rush hour freeway traffic, a corroded steel hydraulic brake line failed. This was the line from the ABS module to the right front brake. As such it immediately caused a substantial loss of braking ability - I was in the far left lane and I was able to abruptly move to the left shoulder. Had I been in one of the center lanes there would have been a crash, it would have been unavoidable, the rear brakes were still functional and I still had limited braking ability. At the point that this line actually broke, it was spraying brake fluid directly on the exhaust system. I am not certain whether there was a fire, the mechanic says there may have been. There certainly was a lot of smoke. The line in question is secured to the firewall and is routed close to the exhaust at that point. It appears that over time this combination allows corrosion to weaken the line at this particular point. The remaining lines on this vehicle are in good condition and I believe they will last the life of the vehicle.

- Warren, MI, USA