Saab Engineering Analysis EA08026: Front Suspension Coil Spring Fracture
2005 Saab 9-3
Front Suspension Coil Spring Fracture
- To date, ODI is aware of 142 non-duplicative complaints related to the alleged defect.In addition, ODI is aware of 2,626 subject vehicles with one or more warranty claims related to the alleged defect.In total, ODI is aware of 2,714 unique subject vehicles that have experienced one or more front suspension coil spring fractures.ODI is not aware of any crashes or injuries related to the alleged defect.The engineering design and testing data supplied by GM, along with the frequency of consumer complaints and warranty claims related to the alleged defect, tends to support the position that, in general, the coil springs that fractured on many subject vehicles did not achieve the expected service life.However, in regard to the subject vehicles, a front suspension coil spring fracture itself has little safety consequence, as evidenced by the minimal impact on vehicle ride and handling and by the number of drivers who were unaware of the failure condition for some time until alerted by service personnel.The ratio of tire punctures to coil spring fractures appears low and there are no reports of crashes, deaths or injuries related to the alleged defect. A safety-related defect has not been identified at this time and further use of agency resources does not appear to be warranted.Accordingly, this investigation is closed.The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist.The agency will continue to monitor this issue and will take further action if warranted by the circumstances.See the EA08-026 Engineering Analysis Closing Report for more details.
- Documents (7)
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED - re: Alleged front suspension coil spring fracture. * 12/22/08 * p
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED
- 39695 - GM 8/28/2009 LETTER TO ODI, WITH ATTACHMENT Q2
- IR TO MFR - To investigate allegations of front suspension coil spring fractures. * 07/16/09 * p
- GM 8/28/2009 LETTER TO ODI
- GM 8/28/2009 ATTACHMENT, Q_02_REQUEST NUMBER TWO DATA
- GM 8/28/2009 ATTACHMENT, Q_04_WARRANTY DATA
Click a tab for more information.