7.8

2. replace the radio (7 reports)
2010 Volkswagen Jetta accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Nov 132017

Jetta SE 2.5L

Radio suddenly stops working, it is not a fuse. Searched several site to find VW admits the 2010 has a

Update from Nov 18, 2017: Problem and the fix is to purchase a new radio and have it installed for a mere $600 - $1000. I am scheduling an appointment with them to determine what can be done. It is extremely frustrating to learn this problem is occurring often and VW is not offering a more cost effective solution.

- , Jackson, US

Aug 282017

Jetta LE 2.5L

Came out of work yesterday afternoon and turned on my car to find that my radio was no longer working, which is odd, since it was working that morning before I turned off the car. Checked fuses and they were all fine, got online and found that this is apparently a prevalent problem, I will be calling VW customer service today.

- , Sheridan, WY, US

Mar 012017

Jetta TDI

My radio one day just turned itself off and i could not turn it back on at all. While at the dealership getting 80,000 mileage maintenance done, i asked the friendly Technical Advisor how much would it be to get it fixed, he said it will be in the 1000 range..till this day my radio is still dead and i refuse to buy a new one because i don''t know how long it will last! Heck my old BMW X5's Radio still works !

- , Missouri City, TX, USA

Aug 052014

Jetta

Add another unhappy VW Jetta owner with a radio issue to the list of so many already out there. I contacted VW via Twitter and VW chat, and there's no known recall for the radio. It does come on and off when it wants, but I refuse to spend $$$ on another VW car or a new radio when there's no guarantee the new radio will even last. I find it very upsetting that VW will pretend to know nothing about the radio issue when there's countless complaints online. I will take my chance with a secondary radio versus forking over $$$ to VW. Consider this my first and last VW ever!

- , Burbank, US

Jun 102017

Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0t

Touchscreen radio made loud "pop" sound and then went completely black at 73k miles. It was also making this loud thumping noise that would not stop even if the car was off. The only way to get the thumping to stop was by disconnecting the battery. Hard reset of radio did not work. Will have to completely replace radio.

- , Raleigh, NC, US

Feb 012017

Jetta 2.5L

The radio and the Blue tooth in my car just quit one day......all fuses were checked and everything was good. Cant figure out what is wrong with it. Called Volkswagon and they refused to do anything about it..Its a shame that I no longer have a radio in my car or blue tooth which can be a safety hazard!!! This is utterly ridiculous!!!

- , North Versailles, US

Apr 172017

Jetta 2.5L

Radio quit working. Touch screen is completely blank. Bluetooth for phone does not work either as it is run through the radio.

Have changed both fuses in engine compartment and the fuse in the radio with the same result. Also tried pulling the battery cable for up to 30 minutes without success.

- , Holt, MI, US

Oct 102016

Jetta

Stereos in 2010 VW Jettas are faulty. This issue has been around for at least two years. My stereo just died but I found a site with probably 500 entries, dead stereos for this year Jetta. Frustrated that VW will not acknowledge. Interesting how everyone says their dealer said they haven't heard of this before. AND I had Sirius for life. But guess what? Now I have to have the dealer change out my stereo for $1000 and pay $75 to keep Sirius! Not! I can go on line and buy one for over $100 and $50 for installation but that means Sirius will be no more. First and last VW

- , DuPont, WA, USA

Jul 112016

Jetta SE 5 cyl

Reading all the other complaints, add me to the list.

Driving home after work on 7/11/16, I stopped for a run into Lowe/s. Upon returning, I heard this loud POP! Radio went dead and was replacing with this loud popping beat coming from all the speakers. Jumped out of the car, popped the hood and trunk trying to figure out the problem.

Got back in, shut off the ignition, waited, loud popping beat returned. Nothing looked out of the ordinary on the dash. Drove home; repeated the exercise. Still the beating sound. Checked the owner's manual. Figured it was the radio and not wanting the sound to go on, I pulled the fuse for the radio/nav.

Sound stopped. So far, the car is operating correctly (knock on wood), just no radio. Sheesh.

You'd think with so many complaints they'd do a recall. I may look for a radio in a junk yard or maybe on ebay. Saw some for $99. Easy to replace if you're handy and can follow Youtube.

Good luck.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 062016

Jetta TDI 2.0L

I BOUGHT THIS 2010 TDI VOLKSWAGEN JETTA AUGUST OF 2014 ITS NOT EVEN 2 YEARS SINCE I HAD IT. SO FAR REPLACED STARTER HAD A PROBLEM WITH CAR STALLING ON ME REPLACED BATTERY WHICH IS NOT BIG DEAL KNOW THE STUPID RADIO COMPLETELY DIED ON ME KNOW THAT MEANS NO BLUETOOTH. I BEEN DOIN SOME RESEARCH AND THERE HAS BEEN THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WITH THE SAME ISSUE JUST CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THE IS NOT A RECALL ON THIS YET.THERE IS A RECALL ON THIS CAR I JUST HOPE THEY BUY IT BACK SO I CAN BUY A DESCENT CAR MAYBE A HONDA.I WILL NEVER BUY VOLKSWAGEN AGAIN FIRST AND LAST CAR.

- , Malden, MA, USA

Mar 202016

Jetta 2.0L

Driving down the road and the radio just goes blank never to come to life again. Contacted dealer and was told to take it in and they will hook it up to their scanner. But at a cost of over $ 115.00 to be told my radio is toast. Contactes vw Canada and received an email saying go to the dealer hmmmm. no thanks. Called vw Canada and was told nothing they can do. I asked the guy this is an ongoing problem to do a google search on 2010 jetta radio problems but they would not. Thank you vw Canada

- , Nash Creek, NB, Canada

Mar 172016

Jetta SE/SEL 2.5L 5-cyl

AGAIN! This is twice in the two years I have had this car that I am having to replace the radio and consequently the stupid battery! I am absolutely appalled that VW has allowed this issue to continue to so many people and so many times without any steps to fix the problem. One of the repair guys at the dealership even said that they are always having to replace the radios in these cars because they short out. Why has there not been a recall?!?! I will never buy a VW again!

- , Greenvile, AL, USA

Nov 122014

Jetta SE/SEL 2.5L 5-cyl

Ok only a few months after I buy my Jetta the screen on the radio goes black and it just stops working. A couple days later my battery dies and I have to get someone to give me a jump just to get the car to the dealership. My warranty covers the radio but not the battery. I was sure the radio problem caused the battery to die but I sucked it up and bought a new battery. Now a year and a half later my car is back at the dealership with the exact same issues! And guess what?!?! They still won't replace the battery that died after the radio went out!. I have lost almost all respect for VW as a reputable company. They know about this issue but refuse to do anything about it.

- , Greenvile, AL, USA

Jun 252015

Jetta Tdi

Radio from dealer = 1500.00, radio from Best Buy that didn't allow me to use all the features from the steering wheel = $600.00 (by the way I lost $200.00 in the return of this radio), radio off of ebay that uses all functions= $200.00. Would have been nicer if VW would have fixed this known issue. Good car, bad radio.

- , Austin, MN, USA

Feb 072016

Jetta TDI 1.9L

On road trip, playing a audio book on CD, worked all day no problem, next day it worked for awhile but after a startup after stopping for a break the radio just quit working, no display, no sound. I checked fuse in engine compartment (actually checked all fuses because a small note in manual indicated some situations may be affected by more than one fuse) but everything checked out fine. As yet I've not removed the radio to see if the 2nd fuse located there is good or bad. From what I've read the dealership will want $800+ to make this right but have located after market solutions for under $200.

Overall this is very suspicious though, cannot figure why this could be occurring other than a basic power type failure. If it is the radio I'd say this is a major defect. This is not an overheating issue what-so-ever, the operating temperatures were not an issue and was not playing a loud volumes... so very odd that it is no completely dead.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 142016

Jetta SE/S 2.5L

Touch screen stereo burned out for a second time!!! I had it replaced once under warranty in 2013 and it died yet again yesterday. First time the stereo was changing stations on it's own randomly, then one day it just went black. I took it to the dealership, luckily I had extended warranty. The whole system was fried and had to be replaced.

Yesterday, after only having it not even three years, it went black again and this time was followed up with a thumping noise in the speakers. The noise would not stop even with the car shut off!!!! I had to pay $45 at a car stereo shop to disconnect it. Have read several complaints that maybe the fuse is not correct. Such a simple fix it seems, why wouldn't VW just do a recall and do the quick fix. Either way I am way PO'd that I've had this car not even six full years and had two stereos. It's no longer under warranty but I will fight tooth and nail for VW to pay for this. This is a joke! I could understand maybe once but TWICE, and the stereo lasted less than three years both times.

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Nov 042015

Jetta Wolfsburgh 2.0L

4.5 year old Jetta that lunges forward from a stop and now the radio dies, spoke with VW Canada and the dealer who both tell me the car drives normal...this being my 3rd Jetta I know what normal is and this isn't normal...add in a radio that can't make it to 5 years and a company that tells me to trust them? Yah...

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Apr 282015

Jetta TDI 2.0L

I've purchase this 2010 VW TDI new and have had no problems with the radio system. It worked perfectly until approx Apr 28, 2015. This is a unit with built-in CD changer, AM/FM, satellite Sirius, port for Aux input as well as Bluetooth phone connectivity. It simply quit without warning on the indicated date.

I took the car to the VW dealer as it needed a software update for the engine. I asked the service manager if they could a) diagnose the problem and b) fix whatever is broken. At the end of the day, I picked up the car. Fortunately, I was only charged $55 but the service staff could only tell me the radio was broken. They actually recommended that I take it to a local car radio company (but could not tell me who would be able to supply a replacement radio). Later on the invoice the note says a replacement radio could be installed for $725.

I tweeted #VW and received an inquiry from VW corporate who asked for my VIN # and contact information. The first person who called was very apologetic and said he would look into it. The final answer came today *(05/12/2015) and essentially said suck it up. The were not going to do anything but the $725 replacement which is a refurbished (aka broken radio repaired) unit. VW makes it nearly impossible to know who the manufacturer is so your only option is to work through VW. For the nominal cost of installation and shipping, they are unwilling to stand behind the customer. The radio manufacturer should replace the radio and learn why it failed and correct any bugs.

- , CLOVIS, CA, USA

Sep 162013

Jetta TDI

stereo started Snapping real loud and flashing off and on so I called the dealer and was told that I needed to have the fuses checked as they sounded like they were going out which would cost $150.00 at the dealer and if that did not solve the problem then I would need a new stereo, the cost of the stereo and replacement would be over $1000. I replaced the fuses and the stereo continues to Snap Loudly and flashes off and on. my biggest concern is will it cause a fire? I have also lost 2 cd's that are still in the stereo as I get an error code when I try to eject them.

- , Usk, WA, USA