2010 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Mar 272013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Driving on a mountain road with many curves. I went to pass a slower vehicle. Audible and dash light went on at the same time as power steering failed. Dash said "power steering". steering became extremely difficult to turn (obviously no longer "power steering"). I was barely able to steer car back into lane. I had to drive the remainder of the highway, another 26 miles, barely able to turn the steering wheel on this mountain road. Absolutely frightening! after car was turned off and on again, warning light cleared and power steering was operational again. Previous to this incident, I also had intermittent air bag failure warnings and false flat tire warnings on dash.

- Elgin, AZ, USA

Mar 222013

Cobalt

I purchased my car in Feb.2012 and I have had it maintenanced at my local Chevy dealer each and every time were they are supposed to do a 27 point inspection while changing the oil however they have seem to miss a problem with my power steering. While driving my car I am experiencing a sudden loss of power and it is very difficult to steer my car. I drive my car only to work to provide for my family however with this sudden loss of power and difficulties in driving my car I am terrified of having a accident and hurting myself or others due to the fact that it is hard to control the car during these times.

- Camden, TN, USA

Mar 192013

Cobalt

Driving down a gravel road when I had to swerve to avoid an on coming car that was in my lane. The steering seemed to lock up and as a result I hit the guard rail.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Mar 122013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the steering wheel would become extremely difficult to maneuver. Immediately after the failure, the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact would have to restart the vehicle before it would drive normally. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000. The current mileage was approximately 51,154.

- Tuscalusa, AL, USA

Mar 182013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was advised that the power steering assist system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised her that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering). The failure and current mileages was approximately 50,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 232013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph and making a turn, the power steering failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle became very hard to steer. The contact stated that after turning off and restarting the vehicle, it resumed normal function. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V073000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,500 and the current mileage was 46,033.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Dec 152012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph when the power steering warning indicator illuminated and a loud chime sounded inside of the vehicle. There was a sudden loss of power steering. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The engine was restarted and the vehicle resumed normally for approximately three miles until the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was advised that the vehicle was repaired in 2010 under NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system). The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 53,450.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Dec 072012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact powered off and restarted the vehicle as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the electric power steering motor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 47,000.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Nov 012012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that one year after having the vehicle serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system), the power steering assist failed while driving 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician advised that the pscm module and the pscm column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 28,546 and the current mileage was 29,500.

- Van Buren , AR, USA

Oct 032012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Car displayed power steering message on display, no recalls listed. Car is hard to steer and not sure what to do.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Sep 122012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the power steering assist malfunctioned with the illumination of the power steering warning lamp. The contact mentioned that it became abnormally hard to make any turns. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 57,100.

- Denison , TX, USA

Sep 182012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt TL. While driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering warning indicator sounded and suddenly there was a loss of power steering capabilities. The contact continued driving with difficulty in turning the steering wheel. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 11/01/12 the consumer stated when he turned the vehicle off and back on again, the power steering would work for a short period of time, before going out again. Updated 11/02/12

- Port Lavaca, TX, USA

Sep 062012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering warning light illuminated while driving and caused the steering wheel to become hard to maneuver. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 48,200.

- Augusta , GA, USA

Aug 212012

Cobalt

The contact owns 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated the power steering assist failed while driving 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised the contact that his VIN was not included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000: (steering: Electric power assist system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred more than once over several days. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,943.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 042012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while attempting a right turn, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the power steering warning light. The contact referenced NHTSA recall campaign id number (10V073000 (steering: Electronic power assists system), but was advised by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure and the current mileages were 60,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 092012

Cobalt

The contact owns 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering failed while driving 35 mph and attempting to turn to the left or right. The dealer was notified and stated that there were no warranties or recalls covering the failure. The dealer also advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for examination. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Jun 272012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was just driving along when suddenly a chime sounded and "power steering" appeared on my dash instruments. I had no power steering. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and turn off the car. When it was restarted, the power steering was reset. This problem occurred once on 6/27/12 and then three times on 6/28/12 (once on the interstate at 70 mph). According to websites, this power steering loss is a problem with Chevy Cobalts and there was a recall in 2010. However, my Cobalt VIN is not included in the recall for some unknown reason. It should be because, apparently, this is a problem in un-recalled Cobalts and could result in a serious accident. When power steering is lost the car becomes very hard to steer and there's not always a place to pull off the road so you turn off the car and restart it. Plus, there's no warning. The power steering is lost totally at random at any speed. Updated 08/22/12 the dealer replaced the electric motor. Updated 08/22/12

- Altoona, IA, USA

Jun 262012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the power steering immediately failed. The vehicle functioned as normal after being shut off and restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 51,000.

- Hamtramck, MI, USA

Mar 172012

Cobalt 4-cyl

My daughter was traveling on a straight road when the steering became difficult. The vehicle went from side to side moving from the right of the road to the left of the road while fighting the wheel. She was unable to control the car and her arms gave out and she could not fight it anymore and then the car flipped and ended up on its side after hitting a fence and fence post. The rear airbags did not deploy. This car is very dangerous and people need to come forward with this information. Something has to be done before more people loose their lives. I could have lost my daughter because of a defect for which I have never rec'd a notice.

- Lewisburg, TN, USA

May 312012

Cobalt 2-cyl

After running multiple errands around town, I pulled back into my work parking lot and as I was slowing down to stop, I heard a faint 'ding' noise and looked down and my display said "power steering" and then my steering wheel locked up! I was glad to be slowing to stop as the wheel would not turn. I turned off my engine and went inside work. After 10 minutes I came back outside to look at the manual to see where the power steering fluid container was inside the hood and start the car again. The power steering problem was gone. And I popped the hood and did not see a fluid container for the ps. I called the dealer as my car is two years old but I had just purchased it two months ago and had only put on less than 1,500 miles. I scheduled an appointment for me today (one day after the incident). The tech who checked me in, told me that there is no ps fluid container to fill, as it is all motor/electronic driven. He said they would look it over and let me know. I did purchase an extended warranty on this vehicle and the vehicle came with a two year certified used warranty as well. The mechanic said it was the power steering assist motor and that they would be replacing it at no charge as I had the warranty. The paperwork states they put a rebuilt ps assist motor into my 2010 Cobalt. Now after being online and reading multiple years of reviews regarding 2005, 2006 & 2007 Cobalt's, I am wondering where does it end" how many more years worth of cars are having these problems? why has a recall not been done on any of these years cars" I drive my car on long family trips as well as many work trips, which is why I got it in the first place to combat the higher gas prices and get better fuel efficiency. But getting into a crash while I am on the road, if this problem occurs again, negates all of that. Please do something! updated 08/29/12's

- Grand Forks , ND, USA