CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Chevrolet Cruze suffers from a throttle lag that gives many owners an unsafe feeling while driving.

According to reports, there is a significant lag between the time you press the accelerator and when the transmission actually engages. This has owners complaining about the responsiveness of their car in safety situations such as trying to cross a busy road. The 2011 model year is equipped with an electronic throttle control where there is no direct link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body, leaving many to suggest that this is the source of the problem.

Interestingly, owners of the 2011 model year have gone on to test drive the 2012 Cruze and report it does not have the same transmission issue.

8.9

2. compressor replaced (1 reports)
  3. the transmission has been replaced twice now (1 reports)
2011 Chevrolet Cruze transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments

Jul 132011

Cruze LT 1.4L Trubo

At first it was shifting bad in 3rd and 5th gear. The dealership could not duplicate the problem as it was intermittent. Then it progressively got worse and took it to another dealership who could also not duplicate the problem (supposedly). Eventually we got the dealership to replace the transmission.

When the technician drained the fluid from the original transmission that came in the car, the fluid was black with metal shavings in it. Since then, we recently have had the transmission replaced again, but I have not driven it yet, as the car is STILL at the dealership for some other issues it is having which I will list as another complaint.

Update from Jun 23, 2012: The second transmission seems to be better (only after the ECM was replaced as well) however there is still a major safety issue with acceleration.

- , Walnut Hill, IL, USA

Aug 282013

Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

The first time I needed an Oil/Filter change I took it to Southpoint Chevrolet in Tulsa, Oklahoma. At the time I informed them that the car had nearly killed me several times by stalling when entering traffic or attempting to pass. It would start to accelerate then it felt like the car went in to neutral and it was coasting. After a split second it responded properly. Manager shrugged and said he had not heard of a problem like that. It continued to do it. Also the car stinks and smells l;like it is overheating but I can not find a problem. It was time to change the Oil again so I decided to do it myself. I have a background as a mechanic. The owners manual gave directions and I followed the precisely. I drained the Oil and removed the Filter. Once it was drained I installed a WIX Oil filter matching specs in manual. Then installed the drain plug and put in 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil Dexros spec. Started the car, warmed up. Turned it off, waited a few minutes then checked the oil level which was st the first marking level as shown in manual. Started to drive the car and it went backwards just fine. Put it in a forward gear and the car revved but did not move. Checked all gears, same result. Rolled the car back in to the drive way and started looking for solutions. I did not find any but one "Cruze" Forum suggested the Oil filter might not be installed correctly. I had installed it exactly as it had come out but I did it a second time and tightened to 14 FP. Called GM Customer service and the first thing I was told was, "You have voided your warranty." I find that unacceptable.

- , Sand Springs, OK, USA

Nov 272012

Cruze 2LT 1.4L Ecotec Vvt Dohc

I took my car to the dealership within the first 3,000 miles complaining of the sudden lack of power. I don't know if that first visit is documented. I was told the car was fine and running according to specs, blah..blah..blah. I went to numerous dealerships complaining of this problem. Always told the car was fine. My husband thought I was exaggerating...until while he was driving the car the transmission started acting up. This is what the invoice states: "Customer states a growling type noise form engine compartment at idel and engine has no power. Verified concern of growling noise in engine compartment. Found noise coming from AC compressor due to internal excessive clearance. Evacuated system for access to replace compressor per TSB Document 2835289. Recharged system and road tested for lack of power, no concern present at this time." I thought after this my car would start performing as promised. Wrong..see the rest of my posts. I still have no power. I see my car and call it "My POS Cruze." I hate this car. I wish I had bought a Kia or Hundyai. I just bought an extended warranty because I know I am going to keep having problems. The dealerships are very helpful..trade in the car for another one. Right..like I will ever buy a Chevy again. I put wrong mileage. This happened at 30,550 miles.

Update from May 26, 2013: Car back at the dealership. Told car is fine. I refuse to accept this answer and because it is the holiday I have to wait until Tuesday to try and show the service writer that my Cruze is possessed. Okay..not possessed but I think it is a lemon.

I am so tired of posting. I have also had other problems:
1. Pioneer sound system sounds worse than the cheap radio in the loaner car I am driving. Told " Vehicle is operating as designed at this time." So glad I bought the upgraded system. 2. Excessive road noise: "Compared vehicle to like vehicle, vehicle is operating as designed at this time." NO..I bought this car because it is so airtight..in fact that is what Chevy promoted and I liked. Noise has increased over time.
3. I didn't say this because I don't know what it means: "Customer states stability track light is on verified concern. Performed diagnosis and found high resistance in steering angle sensor. Replaced sensor. Cleared system and retested."

EVERY TIME I GO TO THE DEALERSHIP I AM TOLD THE CRUZE IS FINE. Okay, my idea of fine and Chevy's are definitely not the same.

I am scanning all my invoices and sending it to the attorney that sent me a letter, in which he states, "We are aware of numerous complaints related to defects in t he 2011 Chevrolet Cruze including but not limited to antifreeze smell while driving with the heater on, automatic transmission problems, control module defects, and throttle lag condition that may cause a delay between the time that the accelerator is pressed and the time that the transmission actually engages."

I am not in a position to trade my Cruze for another car. I JUST WANT CHEVY TO DO THE RIGHT THING. Admit the 2011 Cruze, at least the turbo, can't be fixed and compensate us. I want a car upon which I can rely.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

May 182012

Cruze KT1

5-18-12 18165 mileage car towed to dealership - driving on highway 65mph / burning smell coming through a/c vents/ transmission hot (overheat) /traction control & stabilitrac light & transmission light appeared. Plus continued poor gas mileage since 2/12 fix. transmission control module replaced (again) - could not duplicate gas mileage problem

Mar 122012

Cruze KT1

3-12-12 - 16471 mileage - brought to dealership car would not engage from the stop position to acceleration & poor gas mileage since 1st 2-10 repair - caused to roll into intersection. - control solenoid valve & transmission control module replaced. Could not duplicate gas mileage problem

Feb 102012

Cruze KT1

Once i reached 15000 nothing but transmission issues from this car.

2-10-12 - 15422 mileage car towed to dealership - would start / shifter would go into gear / car would not drive - check engine, traction control & stabilitrac light were on. - shaft detent lever switch replaced.

Sep 242011

Cruze LS 1.8L

This is more than a pain in the ass. I need new Cruze. I can not run to the service in each 10,000 km to leave there my car for 1 months to fix this sh*tty transmission. The .transmission control. mod. out of order/filter not functioning..

They even do not agree to change the transmission completely. I need new cruze or my money back.

- , Baku, Baku, Azerbaijan