2011 Chevrolet Cruze transmission problems: transmission not shifting properly

Transmission Not Shifting Properly

2011 Chevrolet Cruze (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: What’s that smell – it’s a tad sweet with a tinge of chemical toxicity? If you own a 2011 Cruze it’s probably a coolant leak. It’s a widespread and notorious problem for the car and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit filed in the state of New York. And that’s not the only problem 2011 owners face…

Many say the 2011 model year suffers from a throttle lag that is probably due to a fauly electronic throttle control. The problem is signifigant enough that some owners say they are too scared to drive their cars. Those that do get behind the wheel often say their transmission isn’t shifting properly and problems start occuring as early as 15,000 miles.

All of this leads us to say you’re probably better off without this car’s headaches (they’re probably chemically-induced anyway).

7.5

2. replaced valve body and channel plate (1 reports)
2011 Chevrolet Cruze transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012012

Cruze LT1 V4

When in traffic, I can step on the gas and the car doesn't accelerate immediately. The transmission "whines" and then catches into gear. I was recently informed at a Chevy dealership that my transmission is leaking. They topped off the fluid level and it ran fine afterward. I am going to schedule the repair.

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Aug 012011

Cruze ECO 1.4L Turbo

Sometimes when I downshift into neutral or reverse on my 6 speed manual transmission, when attempting to go back into first gear, I think I am in first gear and I end up in reverse. Once on a local state highway, I had to stop several times because of an accident, I initially went into reverse instead of forward two or three times. Fortunately no one was tailgating.

Several times this has happened backing out of my garage and making a K-turn, one of those times it took 3 tries to get back into first gear and I almost backed into my shed. Not sure if the reverse button hangs up or I tend to touch it lightly with my pinky finger, but I never had this problem with my 5 speed manual Chevy Prism and it scares the .... out of me whenever it happens.

I now have about 46000 miles on the vehicle and I am hyper-careful every time I go from neutral to first gear. Seems like a better reverse lock or positioning of reverse away from first gear makes more sense. I do have concern I will accidentally back into something or someone.

- , Sparta, NJ, USA

Mar 142011

Cruze

I am currently two years into a three year lease on my 2011 Chevy Cruze. It was brand new off the lot minus a few miles on it from test driving. During the test drive I noticed a weird shifting problem but the stupid sales woman just wanted to sell the car and told me it was just because the car wasn't "broken in" yet. Seeing as how I was 19 and in desperate need of a car, my dad and I signed for the car.

Two years later, I have told the dealership countless times about the problem and they have said every time that's just how the transmission is. I'm sorry but when I have been almost ran over due to my car not being able to get back up to speed after having to slow down for any reason...there is a problem. It feels like I have to stomp on the gas just to go half the time. This car blows and I have hated it since day one.

- , Columbiaville, MI, USA

Nov 012013

Cruze

I know that the 2011 Cruze has strange shifting problems as I know first hand. I went out to my car to go to the doctor backed out of the parking space and put the car in drive. I pressed the gas and it sounded like the car was in neutral but it was not. It finally kicked into gear and I let off the gas. I then pressed the gas again and it did it again, it was like it was stuck in neutral. The transmission was not going into gear. The check engine light came on too. I finally managed to get it back home and called the dealership. They had it towed to their shop to take a look at it. I have not heard anything but of course this was Friday so who knows how long it will take for them to look at it. I am also having problems with the air conditioning/heater. The air has been on all summer so I really have not changed the settings. It did get a little chilly one evening so I tried to change it over to heat. It was still blowing cold air. It took about 5 minutes for the heat to kick in. It was like it was stuck on air conditioning. Every since then there is a long delay from air to heat and the settings for vent or defrost to kick in. I am not a very happy person at this point!!! My family has always bought GM cars since my dad retired from GM after 30 years. I have never had this many problems with a GM car. I may be getting rid of this car soon!!!

- , Roanoke, TX, USA

Oct 132013

Cruze LTZ 1.4L

Car started shifting funny. Def. felt like the transmission. Felt like a jerking sensation from take off. Since there is no way to really tell if your transmission fluid is breaking down or check the color of the fluid with these cars, best thing to do is just pull the plug and change it. This is what we did. There is a plug on the under body to drain trans. fluid. Of course you have to put the car up on a jack stand to do this. Our fluid was completely black. At 40,000 for it to be that bad, is not a good thing. Car takes 4.2 quarts of Dexron VI but when we drained it, it was exactly 4 quarts that came out. So we filled it back up with exactly 4 quarts of castrol Dexron VI. There is no tranny filter for this vehicle. It is inside the transmission itself and can only be replaced by taking apart the transmission itself. Kinda stupid huh. I recommend getting a flush or pulling the plug and changing the fluid by 35,000 miles, especially if you drive this car daily. Otherwise look to have problems down the road. We plan to do it again every 20,000 miles. Car is driving a lot better now. Has a lot more pep to it. Also helps to change your oil every 3,500 miles.

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Apr 002012

Cruze LT 4 cyl

BOUGHT 2011 CHEVROLET CRUZE FROM DYER CHEVROLET IN FLORIDA..NO PROBLEMS FOR THE FIRST YEAR EXCEPT A COUPLE RECALLS THAT WAS TAKEN CARE OF, MOVED BACK TO GEORGIA AND WAS FAIRLY HAPPEN WITH MY CRUZE, THEN IN APRIL 2012 HAD MY FIRST INCIDENT LEFT MY APARTMENT GOING TO RUNS ERRANDS AND THE DRIVE DOWN TO MAIN HIGHWAY I NOTICED JUST BEFORE I CAME TO A STOP THAT MY CAR DID NOT DOWN SHIFT AND WHEN I STARTED TO PULL OUT INTO THE HIGHWAY IT WOULD NOT TAKE OFF, THEN GAS SOME MORE GAS AND THE CAR WOULD LAG OUT INTO THE HIGHWAY VERY SLOW IT MOVED AND I WAS ALMOST HIT BY ON COMING TRAFFIC WHICH SCARED THE BJESUS OUT OF ME AND THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER A YEAR..., I HAVE TAKEN THE CAR TO THE SHOP AT LEAST 4 TIMES FOR THE SAME THING AND THEY ALWAYS TELL ME THEIR IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CAR, IT'S JUST WAY THE TRANSMISSION IS IN THE 2011 CRUZE ( BULLS**T) THEY EVEN A GM PERSONAL TO COME TO SHOP TO INSPECT MY...GOT LONG DRAWN OUT EXPLANATION WHICH WAS NOT SATISFYING TO ME, I'M NOT STUPID BEEN AROUND VEHICLES ALL MY LIFE WITH FAMILY MECHANICS AND I DO KNOW THAT MY CAR IS NOT SAFE BUT WHAT DO I DO...I HAVE TAKEN CAR IN TO HAVE WATER PUMP REPLACED, WHEN I TURN ON A/C IT STILL WILL NOT PULL LIKE A CAR SHOULD, LIKE IT HAS NO POWER.

Update from Oct 8, 2014: transmission problem for 2 1/2 years, antifreeze leaks for 8 months, screaming brakes for 1 year...have had them changed front and back still back brakes are screaming loudly...GM HAD MY CAR AT HARDY CHEVROLET IN GAINESVILLE, GA., FOR 3 DAYS AND THE GM PERSON WHO CAME TO TEST MY CAR FOR THE PROBLEM WITH THE SLUGGISH TRANSMISSION AND NOT CHANGING GEARING PROBLEM TOLD ME THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CHEVY CRUZE AND THAT THE CAR WAS BUILT THAT WAY...NOTHINGG HAS CHANGED, STILL DEAALING WITH THESE PROBLEMS

- , Oakwood, GA, USA

Apr 172012

Cruze 1.8

Took my 2011 Chevy Cruze in to the dealership with the transmission not shifting right, was told that was just the way they shift ...I've never had a transmission shift like that before... Been back 2 more times now and the trans seal is leaking... Chevrolet should be ashamed.. Took it in on April 17th here it is June 8th and still don't have my car back,gave me a loaner car... If I wanted a Chevy Impala I would have bought a Chevy Impala... I have made 2 car payments for 2 months on a car that I have not been able to drive + full coverage insurance...

You tell me inconvenient or what...shame on you Chevrolet.

- , Pursglove, WV, USA

Aug 132013

Cruze LT

Bought my Cruze used in Nov. 2012 with 26,000 miles on it. About 3 weeks ago the transmission would rev up to 5000 rpms and then shift. And that was only sometimes. This would only occur while driving under 50mph, it was fine once it got up to 60 mph.

- , Haltom, TX, USA

Jun 092011

Cruze 2LT Turbo

delayed acceleration (3-6 sec) then skips into turbo

I first started having delayed acceleration after owning my cruze for about 2 months. It progressively got worse. After about 7 months the delay increased to a delay that make me feel unsafe driving the car. As i would push the accelerator to make a yielding left hand turn, my car wouldn't do anything. After 2-4 seconds, my car would finally respond and jerk me (almost giving me whiplash) and speed forward (as if i had been flooring it, which i wasn't). This is very dangerous and could casue an accident at anytime. I took it back to Chevy of Bellevue for the (3rd time), they again told me that they could get the car to duplicate it after a 10 minute test drive and that they suspect its just the natural shifting of the car and that all the turbos shift kind of hard. The technician told me that if i wanted it to shift smoother and fast i would need to drive the car in manual. Really? why would i buy a car thats an automatic if i have to manually shift it for it to be safe and run smooth. BTW even in maual it shifts hard. They have still not been able to fix the problem and I continue to tell the dealership how unsafe the car it to drive.

- , Maple Valley, WA, USA

Jan 142011

Cruze 2LT Turbo

I first started having accelerating and shifting problems with my 2011 Chevy Cruze less than 3 months after i purchased it. It started with a 2-3 second delay in the acceleration when i pushed the gas pedal. I took it to Chevy of Bellevue in WA. They told me there was nothing wrong, as they couldn't get the car to duplicate the problem after a 10 min test drive. I expressed my dissatisfaction and told them that i felt it was going to cause an accident and it was a real safety problem. The continued to tell me that they could find anything wrong with my car. The problem continues and gets worse every day!

- , Maple Valley, WA, USA

Aug 102011

Cruze

I bought this car in july 2011, i have had it back in the shop 4 times for a jerking in the transmission...they tell me it is a BUSY transmission I almost get whiplash when it shifts, 8 miles an hour, then at 14 miles an hour and at 28 miles an hour...they all do it ...im not buying that. I tried to trade it for a FORD product the salesman did not want the cruze on his lot, he told me people are very unhappy with the 2011 cruzes. it now has 22000 miles on it and scares me when i drive it, i hope the transmission falls out. I also put it in reverse with my foot on the brake and it moves without me taking my foot off the brake, also when sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake it lunges forward, they see no problem...How sad this is, you pay good money for these cars and cant get a honest answer, the techs have all been taught to tell us cruze owners the same story "IT"S A BUSY TRANSMISSION"

- , Kouts, IN, USA

Nov 082012

Cruze 2LT 1.4L Ecotec Vvt Dohc

Dealerships keep telling me nothing wrong with my car...as it continues having major problems. Remember, I complained about lack of power and hesitation when I had 3000 miles on my car. While in NJ, during Super Storm Sandy (yes, I know how to pick cars and vacation spots) my husband, was driving my car and the transmission acted up. Finally...woo hoo...I think my car will finally get fixed and it will have the pep it had when I bought it..the reason I bought a turbo. Invoice states: "Delayed shifting at approx. 30-40 mph. Warm/cold control valve body channel plate pitted at sealing surface to THCM, 2-6 clutch regulator valve scored binding in valve body replaced valve body and channel plate, performed adaptive relearn K6560 2.4." Of particular interest...the mechanic tells me that the dealership is stocking turbos because of the problems now surfacing. Before they had to order them. Okay, by this time I have had heater problems (it wouldn't turn off), leak in sun-roof repaired, transmission replaced and/or repaired. You would think my car is back to factory (sub)standards. I still can't get draft noise fixed or my radio. I will keep trying. Good news..my POS Cruze, for a few weeks, runs a little better..until I lose power..AGAIN. See my next post.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

May 112013

Cruze ES 3.2L

Wanted a reliable car...checked out many dealers and the salesman really sold me on this one.....had this car about two years and the transmission sticks..I told the dealership and the agent on the telephone said it was SUPPOSED to slip at times...and that I was basically imagining that the gears were STICKING...the gears seems to shift at will and get STUCK.....

The last honda I had, took 10 years for any problem to surface..specifically the brakes....I've had the cruz only 2 years now there's squealing....I HATE THIS..hoping it doesn't cost me an arm and let to get it fixed... ALSO I will be reporting as a Lemon to some governmental agency if my transmission continues to act up as I specifically reported this to the dealership who refused to find or acknowledge the problem..

- , Hendersonville, TN, USA

Mar 152012

Cruze LTZ

Even though I had already told the dealership that the transmission did not work properly (banged between gears) and that it was leaking, they told me that they could not find the problem. Later on it quit switching between 1st and 2nd gear. Took it in and they fixed the problem. I had to take the car in this morning (to a different dealership) for other problems, and they made copies of my service invoices, so I don't have the details at the moment on what was done to fix the problem. But, it had to do with the parts being dirty when it was manufactured and causing problems with the transmission. On top of all of this, a month later my family was out running errands when a message came on saying that the transmission was overheating! Turns out the idiots at Walker Chevrolet in Franklin, TN didn't check the fluids at the proper temp and overfilled them causing yet more problems with the car. (Which it still runs like CRAP!) I'll update later once I get a new copy of the service invoice.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Aug 242012

Cruze LTZ

I have been reading that this is a common problem with 2011 Cruzes. Today was the 2nd time it happend, and thankfully my husband was driving, so he could understand what I was talking about. It is really scary. Also he had the gas pedal to the floor board and it would only go 40mph. It happened in both auto and manual.

- , Winside, NE, USA

Apr 242012

Cruze KT1

4-25-12 - brought into dealership for loud popping & jolting into gear from the stop position to acceleration - dealership could not duplicate/ no repair

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Sep 172011

Cruze

My 20011 Chevy Cruze Automatic,with Turbo ,had always shifted funny, come to find out this shifting is part of the design of the transmission, But at times you will have to floor the pedal in order to accelerate from slow to fast, not good ! two times the car almost stalled. also not good.Took my Cruze to a dealership in the morning ,they did not have time that day to check it out, did not tell me this until the end of the day . I will try again at another dealership in a few days, hope it is only a software issue .

- , w, w, 4

Sep 092011

Cruze LT V4

I thought I was getting a good deal when I traded in my truck for this car. I paid nothing out of my pocket and it was an even trade, but now I know why. They are trying to get rid of a lot of these cars as they don't perform right. I think a moped can go faster than this car at times. It shifts weird and sometimes it hesitates if you don't make a compete stop and then step on the gas, which to me is a safety concern. I took it in to the shop and they said oh its normal. Well my girlfriend has the 2012 ECO and hers seems to drive good. Did they just hurry and make the 2011 model that its junk? Not happy and wish I had my truck back. Really thinking of trading this in and going back to a used truck or car, something that has more BALLS!!!

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Jul 282011

Cruze LT 4 cyl Turbo

The car has me scared half to death. I am afraid of this car. It still is not shifting correctly and the engine surges randomly. I will not drive this car again. Isn't that awful, GM is not standing behind their product. I am sick and tired of this lemon Cruze.

- , Laurie, MO, USA

Oct 032011

Cruze LS 1.8L

There are a serious "flat spot" of about 2-3 seconds when you take off slowly, and then again when driving in regular traffic and you release the gas pedal and press to re-accelerate. My dealer has confirmed this matter with all of the 2011 Cruze's. But GM is in the DENIAL stage -- they are aware of these problems but are playing the usual game. They probably don't have the solutions. But this getting to be a safety issue because I almost had an accident due to this hesitation.

You would think that after testing the car for over 6 Millions KM, like they advertise, they would have notice this or rectify the problem. Surprise..surprise...

This is my retirement savings that went into this Cruze...what a deception!!! I thought at one time GM was advertising a 90 days return policy; does anyone know? Any info on the matter would be appreciated. My recommendation before purchasing a Cruze is rent one for a few weeks first! G.M. stand well behind their name "General Mistake"--- Voila !!!!

- , Gatineau, Quebec, Canada