CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Jan 082015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while in a residential driveway, the vehicle caught on fire without warning. The vehicle was destroyed. It was unknown if a fire or police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure was 42,000.

- Iowa Falls , IA, USA

Aug 062013

Cruze 4-cyl

8/6/13-the trunk release switch does not work. Diagnosis was faulty trunk release switch, the technician replaced it. HVAC blower motor is noisy and rattles can be heard inside and outside of the car. Also had intermittent delay when turning HVAC on. Technician replaced the blower motor. Could not find reason for delay. 1/22/14 - HVAC burning smell when running heat. Technician replaced HVAC case with new design grease on it. Filled coolant. 7/24/14- same thing happened to trunk release was replaced again. Outside temperature sensor did not work, it was replaced. The vent in car for blow tab broke off, it was replaced.

- Dryden, MI, USA

Jun 132013

Cruze 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer stated the vehicle would power off, and ignition would not turn or keys could not be removed. The consumer stated the vehicle would spontaneously shut down while driving for no apparent reason. When the vehicle shut down, she was unable to turn the ignition or remove the key. Nothing in the vehicle worked, when the vehicle sh*t down. After 20 minutes, she was finally able to start the vehicle. After driving 100 feet, the vehicle would shut off again. The dealer examined the vehicle, but was unable to diagnose the problem. The consumer continued to experience the same problem. The consumer decided to sell the vehicle.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

Nov 242014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 30 mph, the radio shut off when the heat was activated. The contact also stated that the key fob failed to lock and unlock the doors. When the vehicle was in the park position, the stability track and traction control lights illuminated. The failures occurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 51,500.

- Hirram, GA, USA

Nov 212014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated while exiting a freeway at 30 mph, a loud clunk noise emitted as the vehicle failed to accelerate. After safely parking, the contact noticed that the check engine, service air bag, service power steering and emergency brake lights illuminated on the instrument panel. Also, the contact mentioned that all other electrical components such as door locks, hazard lights, and windows failed to work as well. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician stated that the wiring to the power box had to be rewired. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 58,715.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Nov 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

This is a very well known problem with Chevy owners. I have done countless hours of research and seen hundreds of forums and articles related exactly to this specific issue. Now it has to be brought to the attention of the federal government to issue a recall. I own a 1.4L turbo automatic 2lt Chevy Cruze 2012. This problem has been happening since the first year I purchased the vehicle however is getting much worse. Reduced engine power. The engine light comes on, a "!" shows up on the screen and the cars speed is reduced to 4 or 5 mph with in a matter of seconds. This has happened to myself as well as hundreds of other people from what the internet says. This is very unsafe especially considering some people have families and drive with children such as myself on highway systems. I experienced this while trying to accelerate into an intersection and got an immediate engine speed reduction. This could have killed my daughter and I if the vehicles in the intersection were unable to stop in time. Please do what is necessary to get this vehicle part or issue recalled and or recognized immediately!

- Muskego, WI, USA

Apr 012014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the instrument panel darkened while driving various speeds. In addition, the key was stuck in the ignition when the contact attempted to restart the vehicle. The vehicle battery had to be disconnected in order to release the key from the ignition. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer six times for the failure; however, the dealer was unable to locate a failure code. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Clay , NY, USA

Oct 302014

Cruze 4-cyl

My problems started with my trunk popping open on its own while driving and while parked. This is concerning not only to my loss of Focus on the road because of this, I also worry about who ever is driving behind me should something fly out of my trunk. Also my windshield wiper blade on the driver side comes off the motor clip this is very dangerous while raining I have to drive with out visibility. My car then decided not to start and when I finally got it to start it told my airbags needed servicing, my power steering, ABS brakes, traction control, and stabilitrack. There was no control of the car. That had went away and was able to get car safely to the dealership to get it serviced today. This seems to be a problem with other 2012 Chevy Cruze's in which I have done research. Something needs to be done about these electrical issues before someone ends up getting killed.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Jan 012014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, the radio would shut off and on independently, and the instrument panel gauges would flicker. Also, the contact mentioned that the warning lights on the instrument panel would randomly illuminate and the power steering failed causing her to use extreme force to control the steering wheel. The vehicle would resume normal operation. In addition, the key failed to release from the ignition and the contact had to have the vehicle jump started. The dealer diagnosed that all the electrical cords were corroded. However, the parts to the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving down the road the radio display goes blank. This includes the radio- temperauire controls, etc- otherwise known as the digital info center.

- Effingham, SC, USA

Jul 262014

Cruze

Driving on interstate 10 when electrical lighting, radio, etc start blinking on and off. I was on my way from Florida to North Carolina when it happened, I turned around and went to Chevrolet dealer where I bought it, was checked out and mechanic said they couldn't find anything wrong. Drove to North Carolina and when I arrived at my son's home the same thing happened twice. We took it to Chevrolet dealer in mooresville, nc, they found out through GM it was the electrical box causing all the problems and they replaced it with a new one. I wasn't in an accident but it made me scared to drive it. I feel as though GM should have recalled it and not make the consumer wondering. I would like GM to be notified about this and to also hear from them.

- Live Oak, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

Since purchase as used, slow start speed with the engine almost cutting out. Radio flickering on and off. Engine cutting out when idling. Engine light for mass air flow (maf) sensor replacement. Replaced maf sensor and problem remains. Engine fan staying on long after engine has shut off and cooled. Service lights coming of for stabilitrack and other random issues. Front cigarette lighter won't charge devices. Tire air pressure sensors backwards on display, I.e. display right front tire is actually left front tire pressure.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jan 152014

Cruze 4-cyl

My trunk opened at random when I was headed to work. This occurred many times when I was driving and as well as when the car was parked and locked. It could have caused an accident due to a distraction and having to pull over, items falling out in front of vehicle following, and also could have had items stolen. Since the middle of summer, it has stopped that issue but, the trunk will not open with the button on the rear of the trunk. The only way it open is with the key fob. This is very inconvenient and has happened to many others. I have stopped at a few Chevrolet dealers asking for them to fix this before my warranty expired but they would not cover it.

- Penacook, NH, USA

Sep 092013

Cruze 4-cyl

Anti theft system killed engine on car would not start, radio flickered on and off lost sound and display have had issue with radio many times since put display on voltage and noticed it showed 12.8 to 15.9 volts when this occurred. Definite issue some where and noticed the last time this occurred steering got tight. This needs to be researched and a fix provided. Dealer can not duplicate when there also have had car lock itself.

- Smithfield, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Cruze 4-cyl

Radio turns on and off repeatedly including the upper display, the smaller display flickers and will show a service stabilitrak notice. Several warning lights on the dash also light up: Brake, stabilitrak, and ABS. No GM bulletins nor a recall for this problem and dealership cannot fix problem after several visits.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Sep 242014

Cruze

2012 Chevy Cruze with less than 25,000 miles on it. While driving, the traction control light will come on the dic and then service stabilitrack and the car would die down for a brief second and the radio will cut off. I made an appointment to a dealer and they said to drive with the traction control off until it gets in. Now it is doing the same thing with the traction control off. It is also doing this in reverse! this car is still under warranty with GM, but I'm afraid that I will have the same luck as others on here who are experiencing the same problems and nothing will get fixed. I'm also afraid that this will occur at an even greater rate and longer while driving causing an accident! something needs to be done to fix this problem in this model!

- Cynthiana, KY, USA

Sep 182014

Cruze

Service engine light came on at about 29,000 miles, so I took it to the dealership. After diagnostic it was determined that the thermostat had gone bad, so they replaced the thermostat and the holding mount. Then Saturday on the way to work the service engine light came back on. I stopped for gas then the car would not restart. I had to have the car towed back to the dealership. It was determined that the cam shaft sensor also went bad. The car also hesitates when shifting gears in low speeds.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 302014

Cruze 4-cyl

I bought this car for my daughter, the second or third week after she got it she started to notice the radio flickering on and off while driving for no reason, which eventually led to the radio flickering continuously after using blinkers &windows. "service stabilitrak" flashes on the display often but very quickly and goes off. Doesn't occur every time I drive, but it does it more times than not. Now the radio will flicker and I will occasionally lose cruise control and power steering. I also have no blinkers/radio when this happens. It usually only happens briefly and will return to normal soon after, but it continues to do it off and on until I park. I have also noticed this occurring when I shift gears to park. Most recently I went to start my car and it just clicked and wouldn't start. I got it to start and it said "service anti theft deterrent, " then changed to "service power steering" just as I lost power steering while driving. "service stabilitrak quickly flashed next all while I lost blinkers, power steering, and radio. I parked, turned my car off and restarted it and it was just fine. It has been to the Chevy dealer once but they could not get a code to read because they can't get the radio to flicker, etc because it only happens every so often but when it does happen it is scary! so there is nothing they can do to fix it. Please look into it as I do not feel it is safe for her to drive. This has been going on for 3 months now and I do not feel like this car is reliable which is the reason I bought it! there has to be something that can be done as I have read several complaints that are extremely similar to mine! I also have come to the conclusion that the problems are going to continue to worsen after reading the other complaints.it is a major problem. Please don't wait until something tragic happens before something is done about this! please!

- Roxie, MS, USA

Sep 212014

Cruze 4-cyl

The radio would go off, as well as the dash lights and a wrench would appear but no engine code would appear. This would occur several more times then the entire car would stall out, or turn its self off basically. The key remains stuck in the ignition unable to turn the car on or remove it. All power is lost. I have taken it to my Chevrolet dealership many times but there is nothing that they can do because it does not act up for them. What can I do?

- Donora, PA, USA

Aug 232014

Cruze 4-cyl

I purchased my 2012 Chevy Cruze back in August 2012 at the Chevy dealer in montebello with "0" miles. Two weeks after I purchased the car it began to give me problems. It began to make this very loud noise like if I was driving a trailer. I took it to the dealer an I was told it was normal which is bs because I've never heard a small car that makes noise like that. I wasn't allowed to get refunded I was just given a bunch of bs. A month later it kept doing the same thing but this time the noise was coming from the hood, took it to the dealer and nothing. 3rd time I filed a complaint and said I was going to file a lawsuit and the took my car in an apparently they had to change my radiator, fan, brakes along with the disk. Even after all this my car continued doing the same thing but now it turns off!! I tried to turn on my car this Saturday and it just wouldn't start. It said something about theft, I disconnected the battery and then it gave a message about check power steering! this will be my 5th time taking it in! I think I have gotten ripped off!! I regret purchasing this vehicle!! now im stuck with a jacked up car and a very high car payment that is not even worth paying for. And to top it off the dealer I purchased it from is no help!! they seem to get upset every time you take the car and tell them there is something wrong with it. Im a mother of 3 and my biggest fear is something happening to my children because of this. I purchase this car because I needed something reliable since im always on the road. One thing for sure, if any of my children get hurt because of this I will file a lawsuit because you guys are receiving many complaints and you are not doing anything about it.!!

- Los Angeles , CA, USA