Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Mar 012012

Cruze 4-cyl

Coolant smell inside vehicle cabin and outside of vehicle. Noticed when I first purchased the car during the winter. This occurs after extended drives, typically more than 30 minutes, during cold weather when using the heat. Problem has progressively gotten worse. GM has looked into it approximately 8 times. 4 repair attempts (coolant reservoir cap replacement, water pump, coolant reservoir modification and HVAC assembly replacement). Problem has not been resolved. Internet search has revealed many owners experiencing the same condition, as well as a class action law suit due to the coolant smell inside the vehicle cabin. This is a health risk to all occupants. Further research revealed affected models include the: Cruze, Malibu and sonic.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Nov 112013

I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze received recall letter first of 10/13 was stated in letter no parts were available but when they were I would get it fixed free. I approached intersection my brake went to floor was T boned and total loss of my car this car has 6 airbags none of them deployed..not getting anywhere with GM.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 182012

Cruze 4-cyl

To begin with, I have had several problems with my 2012 Chevy Cruze and have been given the runaround. My first concern is that I bought my 2012 Chevy Cruze on 09/18/2012 and was notified days later of a major safety recall about the possibility of engine fires from fluid spills. I find out that this recall was announced on 06/22/12.(NHTSA campaign #:12V288000) why was I sold a vehicle that was under recall for 3 months" and was never even mentioned prior or post sale. Onstar had to notify me and then I had to get it fixed. My second concern is that there is an coolant smell in the cab of the vehicle and although not always noticeable, it is more noticeable in colder weather. Took vehicle to dealer and they played stupid and said they don't smell anything and that the smell could be a "dirty cabin air-filter"" nobody wants to smell coolant when driving!! my third concern is that when taking off from a dead stop or accelerating after letting off the gas for a second the vehicle almost always shifts roughly. Took to dealer and was told that its probably just the "turbo kicking in". my fourth concern is about the recall (NHTSA campaign #:12V288000) my vehicle(where the engine shield was) is already rusting and is a very big concern with the future of my vehicle(even after warranty period) rust never goes well with a vehicle! I'm concerned that parts will wear prematurely because of this! not to mention that I am getting less mpg since the shields been removed. Now today I get another major safety recall about my brakes.(NHTSA campaign #:13V360000) which would explain why my brakes sometimes require me to press them really hard all the way down to stop it. It currently sits at around 26,000 miles, I am thus far very dissatisfied with the vehicle. I don't know my options but know that if things don't start looking better, I will never buy Chevy or recommend Chevy again.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Sep 222013

Started vehicle drove 2 miles engine RPM started increasing without pressing excellerator I looked down at temperature gage and it was maxed all the way to hot. Stopped the turned engine off raised the hood couldn't see any reason for car to be hot in such a short distance of driving. After about 45 minutes started car up check engine light came on will not go off. The car information center said oil life zero. The oil was changed 3000 mile ago. A week before I checked the info center on oil life and it said 60% luckly I live in a rural area not in a city with traffic. When the engine reved up it sped up and my foot was off the gas.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Nov 162012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the navigational system provided failed and would provide erroneous directions. In addition, the contact was concerned about the push-to-start button feature because the vehicle could be started within five minutes of being parked without the key being used. In addition, the contact stated that the push-to-start feature could not recognize the key while it was in the trunk of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures. The dealer advised the contact that the navigational system chip needed to be updated. The manufacturer was also contacted and advised that the push-to-start feature was operating as designed and that the vehicle could not read the key while it was in the trunk because the vehicle was not equipped with the onstar system that was able to perform that function. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 400 and the current mileage was 10,500.

- Estill Springs , TN, USA

Jun 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the air conditioner failed and emitted hot air. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who confirmed that the condenser needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The current mileage was 31,000.

- Weleepka, OK, USA

Feb 152011

I don't believe the current resolution to GM's recall on the Chevy Cruze concerning the engine splash pan is adequate as it only addresses safety and not customer satisfaction. As this part directly affects the fuel mileage as advertised as well as the degradation of underwood parts due to water encroachment, I don't believe butchering the existing pan is fair to the consumer. At the least, the redesigned pan on the 2013 and any or all updates made to the 2013 model regarding this safety issue are what should have been completed. I am not satisfied with the current solution in that I no longer have what I paid for due to said recall and its poor solution.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jun 152012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed a burning anti-freeze smell through the vents and around the exterior of the vehicle. Additionally, the contact noticed a jerking motion and a hesitation when accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer five times for diagnosis. The technician performed updates to the transmission and replaced the canister inside the dashboard to alleviate the burning smell. The failure continued after the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. The VIN was not available.

- Cass City, MI, USA

Oct 102012

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the auto thermostat needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure unknown and current mileage was 30,340.

- Marsa, TX, USA

Mar 272013

Strong odor of coolant entering the interior of car when heater is used. Becomes stronger if window is open while driving. Odor is not present when at standstill. Open opening hood with engine off odor can be sensed near the water pump area. Dealer replaced water pump a week ago to remedy the problem. The vehicle has 28 K on it.

- Mc Gregor, MN, USA

Aug 152012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that there was a sour odor being emitted inside the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that there was antifreeze, water and mold under the all-weather floor mats. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was determined that a plug had not been removed in the line, causing the leak inside the vehicle. The dealer replaced the carpet and the firewall insulator pad however, the mold remained. In addition, the contact stated that due to the prolonged leak and the extensive mold that accumulated in the vehicle, it was a possibility that the contact had developed legionnaires disease. It was later determined that the contact had inhaled large amounts of ethylene glycol and suffered major respiratory illness. The manufacturer was contacted and offered to purchase the vehicle back from the contact at the original price. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 23,500.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 282012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 12V288000 (engine and engine cooling). After the repairs were completed, the contact noticed that the power steering harness had been chewed and felt that the engine was no longer protected since the engine cover was removed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the power steering harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 2,535. The current mileage was approximately 6,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jan 152013

Coolant smell in cab, HVAC intake duct mounted less than 6inches from coolant surge tank vent. In cold weather it smell seems worse. Love the car but this should not be happening with a 2012 car, within minutes of starting to breath this poison I get cramps in my sinuses & start to get a mild headache. Reading online seems gms current fix to quiet the issue by buying back customers cars, that leaves the rest of us Cruze owners breathing fumes.

- New Glarus, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Cruze 4-cyl

Antifreeze fumes originate in the engine compartment and leak into the passenger compartment.

- Westford, MA, USA

Nov 142012

Cruze 4-cyl

Vehicle vents antifreeze vapors and fuel vapors into driver/passenger compartment. Odors can become noxious.

- Silverdale , WA, USA

Nov 132012

Cruze 4-cyl

A sudden acceleration of the engine.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Oct 092012

Cruze 4-cyl

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze 2lt w/rs package on 9/19/12. I didn't notice right away but after I drove for a few days I notice the engine would have this loud vibration when I barely accelerate, like staying at a steady speed. If I accelerate from a stopped position it doesn't do it or I just don't hear it because I hear the turbo. After driving it a few weeks the vibration sound has gotten worse, so I took it to the dealership to be checked. They test drove it and told me this is the way the echotech w/turbo motors sound and nothing was wrong with it. I wasn't satisfied so I asked I could test drive another car just like mine on their lot. They graciously let me and it sounded the same. My sons girlfriend has the exact same car and hers sounds nothing like mine. She bought hers at a different dealership which means it was probably came from a different manufacturer. Something isn't right and this should be fixed. This does not sound like a new car. It's very embarrassing. My 1995 Chevy cavalier is not as loud as my new car. Another thing is when I slow down to pull in my driveway (on a hill) I just let off the gas and the car will jerk really hard. This doesn't happen all the time but this will be an issue I'm sure when the warranty is up. I'm very disappointed with my first new car purchase. I waited 42 years for this.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Jul 182012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer to have (NHTSA campaign id number:12V288000 engine and engine cooling) performed, however the dealer cut the engine shield cover and advised the contact that the manufacturer had requested to do so in order for the engine oil to leak to the ground. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000 and the approximate current mileage was 12,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Aug 112012

Cruze 4-cyl

Chevrolet's recall fix on the 2011-2012 Chevy Cruze involve cutting off large portions of the underneath heat shield, this piece is also a debris shield. But now with the heat shield completely gone, there now is no protection from debris entering under the hood and causing more damage, also with this fix GM is compromising the biggest selling point of this car which is the gas mileage, this shield is also used to reduce drag underneath the car and in turn increasing gas mileage, but now drag will increase underhood which will decrease fuel mileage. In very wet climates this shield helped prevent water from spraying up under the hood as well, and by removing this shield our cars are now more prone rust, corrosion and abnormal wear to vital parts. GM has done a horrible job at fixing this problem, no logic or obvious care were taken into consideration when addressing this issue. If this kind of similar problem happened on a Cadillac or a corvette would have they fixed the problem the same way"? probably not, so what makes my Chevy Cruze any less important"

- Denver, NC, USA

Jun 272012

Cruze 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT1 rs package, automatic transmission on June 27 I was in murray, ky driving home from murray state university. I was in heavy traffic. After the light changed I gave the accelerator a light tap to move the car forward. It started slowly but after a few seconds, it seems that the car stalled. The transmission downshifted and when I gave the accelerator a tap, nothing. At this time, I was certain I would be in an accident. Again, I gave the accelerator a tap (mind you, I didn't mash the petal to the floor board, I gave it enough of a tap to switch the gear). The car did nothing, and again my concern was that I would be rear ended soon. Another tip (again, I did not mash the pedal to the floor), and finally the turbo charger kicked in and the car switched gears. But when the car shifted gears, it was an explosion of force that jerked and lurched the car forward including my self. I was glad to get moving since traffic was heavy. Since this incident, it has happened 5 times that the car has been sluggish to respond, and it have continued to shift gears with random jerks and often explosive force that jerks both car and passenger. I have had this to 2 dealerships, and they say they cannot reproduce it, and they both tell me that this is a normal thing, and that this transmission will make erratic gear changes. I am concerned for my safety with I drive this car, and hope I am not stranded in traffic when the transmission fails to shift properly.

- Greenville, KY, USA