Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jul 062012

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V288000 (engine and engine cooling). Immediately after the repair, the contact was driving approximately 30 mph when she noticed hesitation while attempting to accelerate. The vehicle felt sluggish. The contact was dissatisfied with the repair performed under the recall because the area where the shield was removed would be accessible to corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired additionally. The approximate failure mileage was 2,422.

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Jun 292012

Cruze 4-cyl

The recall fix for the Chevrolet Cruze was performed on my car. The fix was to cut the engine, or under the engine area, skid plate exposing this area. I believe this to be a safety issue that could result in further damage to the car, engine, exhaust, oil pan and other components that are now exposed. The is a safety concern because during the act of driving this vehicle, it may be exposed to road conditions, foreign objects, or other miscellaneous environmental factors that will affect the performance and overall safe handling of this vehicle.

- Greenville, KY, USA

Sep 012011

Cruze 4-cyl

Have coolant odor inside vehicle. Dealer tested 3 times, but claims they can't duplicate the problem. Smell is very bad in colder months. Window fogs. Have to drive with windows open somewhat in winter conditions. Chevy now has a bulletin. Been trying to work through GM regional - they are ignoring me. Many other Cruze owners have same complaint/problem.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

May 232012

I was driving home and out of nowhere my 2012 Chevy Cruze dings and says "engine overheating A/C turned off, " I was very surprised but kept driving and literally one minute later the car dings again. There is a different message that says "idle engine overheating, " at this point I am very worried and I pull over and call the Chevy dealership that I bought the car from and explain what has occurred. I was advised to bring the car into the service department. So, I start the car up and begin the drive over to the dealership that is about 15 minutes away because of traffic. Not three minutes into the drive I get the same message "idle engine overheating, " I'm very nervous but keep going and about two minutes later I get a new message "shut engine off engine overheating." I call the dealership and they tell me that I am close enough that I should just continue and drive to the dealership. I get about 200 yards from the entrance of the dealership and my engine starts smoking. I have had this car for less than seven months and I basically only use it to drive to work and school. I take very good care of my vehicles, I get the oil changed every 4,000-5,000 miles, in fact I got an oil change less than a week ago.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 092012

Cruze 4-cyl

This vehicle was purchased December 2010 and since the purchase all the issues that 2012 Chevy Cruze has been subjected to regarding recalls we have suffered them. This complaint is filed due to the fact that, although the car is under warranty, GM and the dealership refuses to honor the warranty, for the repair of the fly wheel bolts. These bolts are internal and are currently loose and while driving the vehicle, the vehicle does not accelerate and then suddenly stops.

- Kingwood, TX, USA